PDA

View Full Version : Merc 9.9 Conversion to 15

DuckLn
08-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I have a couple Merc 9.9's (1 electric start and 1 manual) and am not sure on the year model (around early to mid 90's is my best guess) but am wondering if I can convert them to a 15 by replacing the carb. I've done this with a johnnyrude but never with a merc.

Does anybody know if this is possible and what year models it will work on?

Thanks

Skoontz
08-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I believe the Merc runs all the same stuff as the 15, and has a restrictor behind the carb, or, the 15 uses a different exhaust tuner, or both. It's the OMC that uses a different carb and tuner.

mercguy
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I have a couple Merc 9.9's (1 electric start and 1 manual) and am not sure on the year model (around early to mid 90's is my best guess) but am wondering if I can convert them to a 15 by replacing the carb. I've done this with a johnnyrude but never with a merc.

Does anybody know if this is possible and what year models it will work on?

Thanks

you need the 15hp carb and exhaust tuner................any year will work..........

PS: if your motor has a "squarish" type tiller handle, it is a 94 or newer, if the tiller handle is round, the motor is pre-94......

hydroplay
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
There are also 2 different exhaust tuners for 15hp motors. They are similar in length (from memory) but the older one is a smaller diameter. If you gotta buy one get the newer one. If you scrounge, either should be OK.