PDA

View Full Version : C and D Stock Hydro Pictures...

Ron Hill
07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
1-0 Conrad Kersch. the Orangevale Hot Dog. Photo by Ken Steelman....

hydroroc
08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
To whom it may concern.....I have Conrad Kersch 1-0 Hydro Pictured on this site, I have been trying to get more info/Pictures any Help would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike

aroberts
08-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I know it's a few years late from when this thread was posted, but my father and uncle bought Conrad Kersch's boat's a few years ago, including the one pictured. My dad also bought his motors. Kersch passed away and his niece was selling some of his racing gear. I could post some pictures of the boats if you're interested. I currently drive one of the shovelnose boats that he raced. The boat drive's like a dream.

hydroroc
08-11-2014, 06:26 AM
I know it's a few years late from when this thread was posted, but my father and uncle bought Conrad Kersch's boat's a few years ago, including the one pictured. My dad also bought his motors. Kersch passed away and his niece was selling some of his racing gear. I could post some pictures of the boats if you're interested. I currently drive one of the shovelnose boats that he raced. The boat drive's like a dream.

Hello Robby, please post some of your pictures !

aroberts
08-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Here are some pics.

aroberts
08-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Here's what the 32-0 boat looks like now.

FurnalFlyer
08-12-2014, 07:27 AM
John.
The cowling looks more like a Lundy.
Craig has most of my pictures right now
so I cant be sure .I will get them back and
check it out.
The Lundy had a ridge down the middle of the
cowling and I don't remember the Coutts having that.
Jon Stone won the nationals in 1970 DSH in a Coutts.
Leigh,

smittythewelder
08-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Look at the old bubble-visor on the helmet in the first photo. Lotsa guys had those, a Bell accessory for their open-front helmets in the Sixties. Mine was the flip-back hinged type, worked well. But some guys had the snap-on variety, and if one of them happened to turn his head around far enough to look behind him in the middle of a race, the wind might catch the inside of that visor, unsnapping it and losing it over the side.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-12-2014, 10:01 AM
John.
The cowling looks more like a Lundy.
Craig has most of my pictures right now
so I cant be sure .I will get them back and
check it out.
The Lundy had a ridge down the middle of the
cowling and I don't remember the Coutts having that.
Jon Stone won the nationals in 1970 DSH in a Coutts.
Leigh,
Leigh,

Having said that, yeah I agree looks more like a Lundy than one of Jim's but didn't know about the seam/ridge.
Thanks for chiming in, how are you doing.

John

rumleyfips
08-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Mike had his own bow handles cast with "LUNDY" on either side. I can't tell whether this is one from the images but it doesn't look like an ordinary handle.
At first I thought Coutts but the sponsons look a little short. Now I think Lundy.

aroberts
08-12-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm glad you mentioned that about the bow handles. The one on this boat says Lundy on it. Thanks a lot guys. Do any of you guys have any experience driving a Lundy? The boat seems really well made and drives extremely well.

aroberts
08-13-2014, 12:19 AM
I would also like to know a little about Mike Lundy if anyone could provide any information. I found through my research on the Internet that he raced stock b hydros and was from canada. Thanks in advance, Robbie

rumleyfips
08-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Robbie:

I posted a contact sheet from a 72 or 3 race somewhere on the Susquehana on the " More Region 2 stuff" thread here. If you are able to magnify, you will see Mike Lundy ( 68-CE ) in his BSH and his kid ( name escapes me ) in a JSH.

He stopped running the C before I started, but a search shows him with a 3rd at Gunnersville nationals, 1961 and Cambridge nationals, 1963. His BSH was always fast and his boats were always immaculate.

One day at Silver Lake , Jon Stone was surprised to watch 16cc of fluid disappear into my A stock engine and said I needed to work on it. Mike told me that the fluid used to run past the rings on his C and no one was ever able to measure it.

The JSH was built light so Mike could test it. For the kid, it had a big piece of iron on rails on the floorboards. The weight was locked up front to get on plane then a lever was pulled, the weight slid to the back and locked there to race. This idea wasn't legal for long.

Mike didn't show it often but he could have a wicked sense of humour. This drunk kid came up late one Saturday night and sold me his 25SS engine for $500. He needed a down payment to buy all Lundy's stuff for $5000. Mike wouldn't take a cheque from him but would take one from me so I made it out to him. The next week Mike told the kid that the cheque had bounced but gave me a big wink as he was saying it.

Tom Boulter still holds the Canadian 5 mile and kilo records with a Lundy boat.

John McManus

FurnalFlyer
08-13-2014, 07:25 PM
John,
Mikes son name was Jeff (Hopper).
All Mikes stuff went to Carl Breckin in Niagara Falls.
Leigh.

rumleyfips
08-14-2014, 09:59 AM
``Thanks Leigh. I guess I'm better remembering bow handles than names. The real joke was that my bank account was a lot sketchier than Carl's.
John