PDA

View Full Version : Questions From Jimbo McConnell

Ron Hill
08-29-2011, 02:36 PM
1. Sid and Mickey build Sid Crafts. Sid's last name was Uritzky and Mickey's last name was?

2. What city did Sid Crafts come from?

3. Sidsons were build by Sid and his son?

4. What caused the split in Sid Craft?

5. Marchetti's were build by Nick Marchetti, but where were they built?

Lil Stinker
08-29-2011, 03:02 PM
watched too much American Chopper

russhill
08-29-2011, 04:21 PM
#3 is yes

Mark75H
08-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Uryzki

Starego

Nixon NJ

Probably best to call Shannon Bowman in person for the other details

610-847- eight three one six

Shannon's email according to my records: bezoats@epix.net

Craig's borccoli@voicenet.com

brichter
08-29-2011, 06:50 PM
I thought it was Uritzky.....
Here are a couple shots of Dad's old Sid (328) taken in Chicago,
I also added and a newspaper clipping and write-up of Mike Butler's Sid in Madison. The last picture is the end of Mike's Sid.
I think these were the only two OPC tunnels they built.
My dad's Sid was originally built for Tim Briggs and then was raced by John Stochl.
Mike Butler's boat was originally built for John Schubert.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Sometime around 1971 or 72 Nick moved his shop down to Lakeland, Florida. It was the first time I ever met Pat. Baldy and I went to their shop. So Pat must have been building with Nick for some time because he was about my age or older. Seems like they had a small inboard laid out with stringers and battens in a wrack when we toured their shop. It was not well lit that I can remember, but it may be that they turned off the lights because they were not building boats, but hanging out at Lakeland during the races. The failed attempt at a combo tunnel hydro had been a year or so before, but I could be wrong on the dates. Charley Bradley might remember dates and places much better since he was there.

Ron Hill
08-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I assume that Mike Butler is the same Mike Butler that works for Mercury Marine, today. Great guy, but I never knew he raced.... Shows what I know!

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
1. Sid and Mickey build Sid Crafts. Sid's last name was Uritzky and Mickey's last name was?

2. What city did Sid Crafts come from?

3.. Sidsons were build by Sid and his son?

4. What caused the split in Sid Craft?

5. Marchetti's were build by Nick Marchetti, but where were they built?

1) Sid Urytzski, Micky Starego
2) Edison, then Nixon across US Highway
3) Actually, Sid did the designing made his garage in to 4 bays approximately & his son Bob built the Sid Sons. Sid's house & garage were right behind the old shop. Micky's house was on the other side.
4) Micky kept complaining that he was doing all the work, & Sid very little, so money share became the issue.
5)Marchettis were built I believe in Bristol, PA. They became popular after Sid-Craft shut down & it was a little over a year before Sid-Son started. Waldman went to Marchetti & with his success, everyone followed.

Trident
08-30-2011, 08:46 AM
1960 Outboard Boating Handbook, by some guy named Bowman show a Sid AU on p. 21 and lists the price as $425 fob New Brunswick, NJ.

Decal shows that city, too.

Did Nixon and / or Edison come later?

My first Hornet BU had a decal, the usual Sid script with New Brunswick, NJ... I think that was a '57 or so boat.

Jerry

BILL HOCTOR
08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Jerry; John Schubert has an unbelievable memory, he was instrumental in arranging my 12'3" or 12'6' Sid Son hydro being built by Bob Urz., Gary Hilsen, while Sid & I drank Rolling Rock.. I lived about 10 miles away in Piscataway & John about 40 miles. We were at the shop a lot. New Brunswick NJ was about a mile south of the shop on US- 1 accross the Raritan River [for identification] the shop, Sid Craft & house, Sid Son were in Edison NJ north bound US-1.south bound US-1 was in Nixon NJ accross the hwy from the shop ..Regards,Bill

Danny Pigott
08-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I have what was told to me a trailer that belong to Sid Craft in the early days i have no proof that it is other than word of mouth.It does have a 50"s Chevy truck front droped ax. so that would tell the age of it . I have had it from about 1975 . I have allways wondered if it was a Sid trailer or not.

Allen J. Lang
08-31-2011, 07:44 AM
During a visit to Sid and Bob while attending my cousin's wedding, Sid's side of the story of the break up was that there was a back log of orders and Sid wanted to redesign as he said to many guys were getting hurt with the increase of engine power. He said Mickey wanted to keep on building the design they had. He said he and Bob took a year going to the races to figure out what he had to change. He also said they were building one boat a week and no favorites were given as they were built as each order came in. At least that is what he told me.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-31-2011, 10:59 AM
During a visit to Sid and Bob while attending my cousin's wedding, Sid's side of the story of the break up was that there was a back log of orders and Sid wanted to redesign as he said to many guys were getting hurt with the increase of engine power. He said Mickey wanted to keep on building the design they had. He said he and Bob took a year going to the races to figure out what he had to change. He also said they were building one boat a week and no favorites were given as they were built as each order came in. At least that is what he told me.

Allen

I'm sure that's what Sid told you but I don't believe the back log as there was a 1964 short sponson "A" on the jig, the last to be built with no purchaser. My brother & I bought it. It is true that Sid & Bob took a year off as they went to the bigger farther races with my dad & I. Now as far as favorites, that also might be true but he did honor regular repeat customers with changes in designs, i.e. Okies first round sponson hydro which was sold to the Berghauers & all their boats after that had round sponsons. On the other hand mine & Christie's were stock designs but I had a couple of Sid Sons that were a little shorter at the nose & rounded back to the original sponson location. My 11' BOH which I won the nationals with in 1968 was actually 10' 10". My 1079 COH which normally was 12' 3" was 12'. Gave quicker acceleration.

Allen J. Lang
09-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi John,
With you knowing him like you did, I can see your point of view. When I popped in, here was a kid paying a visit who he didn't know and he could say anything that made his side of the break up look good for him. While there, Bob kept working away on a boat while we shot the bull. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the clarification.

mbd29
09-06-2011, 05:32 PM
JJ Gibbs, son of John sent me this post as I have not been on for awhile. I'm no expert on Sidcrafts or Sidsons but I know a little. The 1033 Boat was one I purchased from Jim Briggs which John Gibbs drove. Still had the number 6 on it when I picked it up. Tim was was the one I talked to when I picked it up. John drove in at Parker in 73 and I purchased it right after Parker. I drove a Hustler Tunnel with a 1000BP and 1350 prior to that. I did talk to Bob Urytzski a couple of times and ordered some parts for the boat. I remember it as a heavy boat that ran well in rough water. The real old guys, Schubert and Gibbs, got to be 75 plus by now had a lot of tiime in them so know them better than me. Last I heard (mid 80's) that boat was still in Wisconsin. The red boat was not a Sidson but a Marathon built by Tom Arnstad. I bought it in 1975. John Gibbs drove it for Clint and Judy Beard.

Attached are a couple of Sid pictures: the orange boat, 391, was the Travis brothers, Bill and Bob's Sid and the 3 is the one Tim Briggs drove and the one I think ended up in Dick Ingebretsen, John Stochl then Bill Richters hands. Not sure though as the nose is a little different. Could have changed as this one was damaged a few times, according to Gibbs. The other shot is of the Marathon sometime before the crash.