PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 60HP American Outboard Federation Motor Project

rustnrot
09-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Here are some pics of a recent motor I could not pass up that obviously has raced before. I need some advice from this fine forum.

1. What is (was) the American Outboard Motor Federation
2. What class would this have raced in?

It is to the best of my research, a 1989 Mercury 60HP short shaft with factory tiller (it is hardwired in). It would be a 49.9 cu inch motor with 1.64 ratio gearcase. It has WM-11 carbs which if I researched correctly, would be for a 70HP motor. You can see where somebody did some grinding on the exhaust. It has some scoring on the top piston so advice needed.

Rebore and new pistons all cylinders? Keep the 70HP carbs?

Mark75H
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
As is, the motor could not be (or have been) remotely competitive in anything but inflatables.

Its just a fishing motor with stickers on it.

You can't really tell whether you need to bore until you disassemble it and inspect the bores.

AOF was the successor to NOA as an alternate to APBA, now AOF is a club within APBA and the main alternate is NBRA.

National Outboard Association

American Outboard Federation

National Boat Racing Association

rustnrot
09-02-2011, 06:28 AM
I figured inflatables, thanks. And I know it is a regular motor.

I'll break it down. At least the bolts remove easily enough.

Fastjeff57
09-05-2011, 03:59 PM
The 60 and 70 hp motors are the same--the rating change is the only difference (prop hp vs. crankshaft). THe earlier 65 hp had less exhaust timing, and the later 50 hp triple uses peanut carbs to de-rate itself.

Jeff

rustnrot
10-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok, this is going back together now, honed with new std size pistons. Block assembly has begun.

Carbs rebuilt, top had #74 jet, bottom #72, does this sound like it should?

FastJeff, I saw another thread where you have made fiberglass cowls and bases. Can you provide more detail, thanks.