PDA

View Full Version : Boat racing in South Africa

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I stumbled upon this site a few days ago and have spent hours enthralled by the stories and pictures of races, boats, motors and people of year gone by. I prompted me to do some sharing of some of the photos etc. that I have of boat racing in the 60's, 70's and '80's in South Africa.

I raced in South Africa from 84 - 96 in South Africa before moving to the US for a while. I raced in the (720cc) petrol hydro class (equivalent to the US Mod-D Hydro class). Unfortunately, most of the pictures from when I raced have gone missing but my father, Ralph Smith, raced from the mid 50's till he retired from racing in 72. He raced in a number of classes and was part of the South African (Springbok) team to tour Europe in 70 and 72. He raced a Carniti in the 6-Hour Paris race that year. He raced with the likes of Reinhault Schultz, Dino Candiotis, Graham Campbell, and many more throughout the years. He also had the priviledge to spend a few days with Dieter at the Konig factory. Unfortunately, he died of heart failure, at 51, while helping my brother, Brent, and I test at the 84 Inter-provintial races at Rynfield Dam.

I have many photos (some in poor condition so please excuse the quality) and magazine articles from his racing days. I would like to share them with you here.

If there are any people out there with stories or information about the South African racing scene from those years, please share them with us.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 07:48 PM
I haven't figured out how to place the comments inbetween the images so here are some explanations:

Picture #1 My fathers boat in the forground (#16 - Spooky). I can't remember the builder of the boat but I know it had a canvas deck. The motor was a 44ci Merc with Quincy pipes. This was taken at Wemmer Pan, Johannesburg around '63 or '64. I know it was before March '64 as he hit a log, at the saame venue, in March '64 and the front of the boat folded up and fractured his neck. The boy sitting in the boat was my elder brother, Brent. Not sure of the boat in the background (Desiree)

Picture #2 This was the first and only sponsored boat that my father raced in South Africa. This was taken at Wemmer Pan, Johannesburg in '72 and was my father's last race. The boat had a Konig and was raced in the 500cc Alky class. The inboard hydro in the background (left) belonged to my godfather, Graham Campbell.

Picture #3 Apologies for the really poor state of this one. This is my fathers 44cu merc with Quincy pipes. This boat held the record in the class for more than 20 years.

Picture #4 My father's first Hydro. I think this was taken at Loch Vaal.

Picture #5 A slightly better view of the same boat as in Picture #3

Picture #6 was taken around '64 or '65 at the Riviera Club, Van Ber Bijl Park.

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Kerry,

I raced in the BP 200 South Africa 1975..
Two pictures of my Clerici/Evinrude OE # 44 boat

There is more about the race here..

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6727&page=5

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 07:52 PM
One of the tow trucks and boats that the South African team toured Europe with. I think this is the one that my father (Ralph) and his best mate (Graham Campbell) raced.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Some miscellaneous pictures from the races that the South African team participated in in Europe in '70 and '72. If anyone can add any info, please do. I know some shots are from Paris and some are from Berlin.

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I think most of those picture above are from Paris 6 Hours.

Well..This is a friend of mine from Sweden..His name is Lars Block and he raced the 2 liter inboard class in Paris 6 Hours..

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:05 PM
More pics from the same batch:

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Kerry,

Hi Lars,
I remember the BP200. It was raced at Loch Vaal. Although my father had stopped racing by then and I was too young to race, I went to many of the bigger races. They were hectic but exciting.

Regards
Kerry

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Some more pics

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Here are some pics of the South african team in Europe along with some of their equipment.
Picture #1 One of the South African boats being lowered into the water

Picture #4 Left to Right - Ralph Smith, ??? , Graham Campbell

Picture #6 Some repair work after hitting something in the water in Paris.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Another pic of the South Africans in Europe. I believe this one was at the Carniti factory in Italy.

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 08:28 PM
That is the "boat house" at the OMC Factory in Bruges, Belgium...use to be my second home..!!:)

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Some more pics of my father's boats in SA.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:31 PM
That is the OMC Factory in Bruges, Belgium...use to be my second home..!!:)
Thanks for the correction Lars. I'm going from long distant memories of what my father told me.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Dino Candiotis (or maybe Gordon Lanham-Love) at Wemmer Pan, Johannesburg.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I think that this was taken at Rynfield Dam, Benoni in the 70's. The boat on the right is Graham Campbell's Alfa Romeo powered Molanari (i think) designed boat. This boat now lives in Australia.

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Very nice and fun pictures Kerry..
Thanks for posting all of them.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Lars,

It is my pleasure. I have many more and it feels a bit self-indulgent but I feel that there is a lot that I can share and it will, hopefully, help preserve the history of boat racing in South Africa.

Regards
Kerry

Lars Strom
09-29-2011, 08:52 PM
"The red arrow".. one of the Belgium racing mechanics at the OMC factory in Bruges..
Don't remember his name..maybe Eric..He was good.

KerrySmith
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
My father's boat around 63/64 @ Rynfield Dam, Benoni (East Rand Powerboat Club)

Ron Hill
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Another pic of the South Africans in Europe. I believe this one was at the Carniti factory in Italy.

That is Jimbo setting in boat #11. We, Jimbo and I drove together in the 1972 Paris Six Hour. (And as Lars says, "That is the OMC plant in Belgium." Not in Italy!!!

I remember taking to two GENTLEMEN from South Africa, I don't recall their names.

I was contacted in 1965, from South Africa, to buy plans for my D Stock Runabout. I wrote back to Africa that my plans were really very good or complete but if they's send me $25, I'd make copies of my plans and send.

While talking to these two gentlemen from South Africa, I learned they were in the heavy equipment business. I asked them if they ever saw one of my boats racing down there?

As I recall, one of the two men was the guy who bought the plans. They didn't know my name until I told them about the plans. He said they'd built quite a few boats from my plans and had won the class championships. I lost track of those two, but maybe you, Kerry Smith, know of them.

My boat was a Runabout. They D Hydros you show are mostly Swift looking hulls...

Thanks for posting, I hope you have more pictures to post.

Mark75H
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Kerry, I had your old Pugh hydro for a few years after you moved.

Keep posting your pics and stories that go with them!

KerrySmith
09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
That is Jimbo setting in boat #11. We, Jimbo and I drove together in the 1972 Paris Six Hour. (And as Lars says, "That is the OMC plant in Belgium." Not in Italy!!!

I remember taking to two GENTLEMEN from South Africa, I don't recall their names.

I was contacted in 1965, from South Africa, to buy plans for my D Stock Runabout. I wrote back to Africa that my plans were really very good or complete but if they's send me $25, I'd make copies of my plans and send.

While talking to these two gentlemen from South Africa, I learned they were in the heavy equipment business. I asked them if they ever saw one of my boats racing down there?

As I recall, one of the two men was the guy who bought the plans. They didn't know my name until I told them about the plans. He said they'd built quite a few boats from my plans and had won the class championships. I lost track of those two, but maybe you, Kerry Smith, know of them.

My boat was a Runabout. They D Hydros you show are mostly Swift looking hulls...

Thanks for posting, I hope you have more pictures to post.

Hi Ron,
Not sure who the gentlemen would have been. I will check with my uncle if he still remembers but he raced very little.

Regards
Kerry

KerrySmith
09-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Kerry, I had your old Pugh hydro for a few years after you moved.

Keep posting your pics and stories that go with them!

Hi Sam,

Glad to hear that someone used it. It was a great boat and I was just getting it setup well when I left.

Regards
Kerry

KerrySmith
09-30-2011, 09:54 PM
These two photos were taken sometime between '64 and '66
The first picture looks like Eligwa Club or Riviera Club. The second is Bill Mahon @ Wemmer Pan

KerrySmith
09-30-2011, 10:52 PM
These are actually pockets from blazers.
The 1st is from the Loch Vaal Club.
The 2nd is my father's from 66-67-68-69 for being the Technical advisor for the Southern Transvaal provincial team.
The 3rd is mine from '88 for being in the Northern Transvall Team

KerrySmith
09-30-2011, 10:55 PM
The first 3 pictures are of the E-class inboard of Graham Campbell. The last is his inboard hydro.

KerrySmith
10-01-2011, 12:17 AM
A shot of the pits @ Witbank in the early '90s

KerrySmith
10-01-2011, 12:18 AM
My wife and I in 84 @ Rynfield Dam, Benoni

KerrySmith
10-01-2011, 12:25 AM
My hydro ready to go racing about '88.

Note the Carniti cover. My father was the Carniti agent for a number of years so we had these aplenty. Under the cover is a 44ci Merc

KerrySmith
10-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Some more misc pics.
The 1st is 500cc Hydros

2nd and 3rd are inboard hydros

Master Oil Racing Team
10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Very interesting stuff Kerry. Jim McKean used to race in the South African sunshine series which was during out winter season. I had a standing invitation to go down there to race as well, but to my regrets I never took advantage of it.

Jerry Drake was a good friend who eventually migrated from South Africa to Georgia. I first met him in Berlin in 1975 when he still lived in SA. Later I came to know Rheinhardt Schultz, Tom Jones and one other alky racer whose name I will remember later. Then there was a driver whom I raced with in Berlin that had an Africaaners accent, but I can't recall his name either. He raced in the OE event at Berlin driving a tunnel, but I can't remember the hull or motor. If I can find the pics, I will post them. That was 1981 I believe. All the South Africans I met were very nice and friendly.

I never met him, but Dino Candiotes held the OD world straightaway record for a number of years before I broke it in 1976. Did you or your Dad know him?

Lars Strom
10-01-2011, 01:59 PM
See..look what i found..The Entry list Paris 6 Hours 1970..
Look at the SE class # 90..??

Lars Strom
10-01-2011, 02:18 PM
..and # 91

KerrySmith
10-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks for that great info Lars. Do you have the entries for the other classes?

KerrySmith
10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
See..look what i found..The Entry list Paris 6 Hours 1970..
Look at the SE class # 90..??

So SE90 is Terry Adams and ? Acton. SE91 is Bill Moseley and Ray Mansfield

Lars Strom
10-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I dont know..just guessing from reading the entry list..
Yes..I have the the entries for the other classes..coming soon..

Can I use som of your Paris 6 hours picture..?????

KerrySmith
10-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I dont know..just guessing from reading the entry list..
Yes..I have the the entries for the other classes..coming soon..

Can I use som of your Paris 6 hours picture..?????
Certainly, no problem

Lars Strom
10-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you..

Here is the rest of the Entry list Paris 6 hours 1970..

KerrySmith
10-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks Lars

KerrySmith
10-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Race Program for 1972 Paris 6-Hour showing the South African entries in ON, OI & SE

KerrySmith
10-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Race Programm for the 1970 Berlin 6-Hour showing the South African entries in ON & SE classes

KerrySmith
10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Race Program for 1972 Berlin 6-Hour showing the South African entries in ON & SE classes

KerrySmith
10-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Not sure of the date of this but around '65

KerrySmith
10-04-2011, 04:07 PM
This is from an article in "Personality Magazine" from April '65

KerrySmith
10-04-2011, 04:13 PM
This is an editorial from South African Yachting Jan/Feb '62. This was the only magazine that covered powerboating in SA for many years. Followed by an article in the same magazine

toby
11-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Hi Kerry, wonderful to see all these super pics of your dad and days gone by. My step dad (Bill Richards) was a good friend of your dad and a another chap you may well remember, Bob White. My dad raced run abouts and cut downs in the XT class along with people like Dawie Bekker, Gerhard Jansen, Dave Spierenberg ( he was killed in a friends hydro at Boacord dam ) The Candiotis family, Bronkie Bronkhorst, Bill Badsey, and later Koenie Rontken (spelling) and Pat Farrel5877358774
I stumbled upon this site a few days ago and have spent hours enthralled by the stories and pictures of races, boats, motors and people of year gone by. I prompted me to do some sharing of some of the photos etc. that I have of boat racing in the 60's, 70's and '80's in South Africa.

I raced in South Africa from 84 - 96 in South Africa before moving to the US for a while. I raced in the (720cc) petrol hydro class (equivalent to the US Mod-D Hydro class). Unfortunately, most of the pictures from when I raced have gone missing but my father, Ralph Smith, raced from the mid 50's till he retired from racing in 72. He raced in a number of classes and was part of the South African (Springbok) team to tour Europe in 70 and 72. He raced a Carniti in the 6-Hour Paris race that year. He raced with the likes of Reinhault Schultz, Dino Candiotis, Graham Campbell, and many more throughout the years. He also had the priviledge to spend a few days with Dieter at the Konig factory. Unfortunately, he died of heart failure, at 51, while helping my brother, Brent, and I test at the 84 Inter-provintial races at Rynfield Dam.

I have many photos (some in poor condition so please excuse the quality) and magazine articles from his racing days. I would like to share them with you here.

If there are any people out there with stories or information about the South African racing scene from those years, please share them with us.

toby
11-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Not sure of the date of this but around '65
Kerry, the driver of the Volvo powered boat (number 13) was Paul Windsley. He won the RDM 200 at the Riviera club in about 66 or 67. Sonny Morgan used to run a 720 petrol hydro called Hot Stuff. He lived in a boat house across the way from ours at Loch Vaal. Reg Roseman of Bugs Bunny fame (big v8 hydro) also lived across the way at Loch Vaal

toby
11-03-2014, 03:05 AM
Hi Lars, this looks like it is possibly Eligwa or th Riviera club
Hi Kerry,

toby
11-03-2014, 03:16 AM
I knew Terry Adams and Ray Mansfield well. Ray had a panel beating /car repaair company called Mansfield Leppan
So SE90 is Terry Adams and ? Acton. SE91 is Bill Moseley and Ray Mansfield

toby
11-03-2014, 03:20 AM
Kerry, the fist pic looks like Evander.... with the mine dump in the back ground. Pics 2,3 and 5 look like Ryanfield dam in Benoni

toby
11-03-2014, 03:23 AM
Kerry, the red tunnel boat (ON28) was driven by a chap called Tulio Del Rey (spelling) the boat was called an Abate and a similar boat ran in SA and an SE class boat also ran here built by Abate.

Some miscellaneous pictures from the races that the South African team participated in in Europe in '70 and '72. If anyone can add any info, please do. I know some shots are from Paris and some are from Berlin.

toby
11-03-2014, 03:31 AM
The yellow boat in your collection # 21 looks like a Shakespear. One also landed up in SA and strangely it was made of fibre glass. Bill Shakespear, the builder was killed in the UK attempting to set a record very near to where Donald Campbell flipped.

Here are some pics of the South african team in Europe along with some of their equipment.
Picture #1 One of the South African boats being lowered into the water

Picture #4 Left to Right - Ralph Smith, ??? , Graham Campbell

Picture #6 Some repair work after hitting something in the water in Paris.

Steve Pinson
11-03-2014, 11:13 AM
The yellow boat in your collection # 21 looks like a Shakespear. One also landed up in SA and strangely it was made of fibre glass. Bill Shakespear, the builder was killed in the UK attempting to set a record very near to where Donald Campbell flipped. The yellow Shakespeare cat no21 was driven by a Belgium Factory driver Andre Derix he ran in the OI Class the picture of no 34 and 79 were both Bristol GRP Cats. I heard somewhere Bill Badseys name mentioned I was a friend of his when he was over in Europe.Bill Shakespeare was killed whilst practising for the 1971 Windermere 3hr race.

toby
11-03-2014, 11:28 PM
The yellow Shakespeare cat no21 was driven by a Belgium Factory driver Andre Derix he ran in the OI Class the picture of no 34 and 79 were both Bristol GRP Cats. I heard somewhere Bill Badseys name mentioned I was a friend of his when he was over in Europe.Bill Shakespeare was killed whilst practising for the 1971 Windermere 3hr race.

Thanks for the correction on Bill Shakespear Steve. Bill Badsey was a good friend of my dad. He was a great racer, always very innovative and cutting edge. He was a super guy and always very quick in any boat. He designed and built a fancy gull wing door fibre glass car that was bolted onto a VW Beetle chassis which sold rather well.My dad had a big get off racing a Molinary tunnel. In the flip, his life jacket was ripped off. His legs wer badly broken plus major chest injuries. He could not swim and Bill came flying past , saw what was happening and jumped out of his boat at full tilt and held my old man up untill the crash boat arrived. A true hero in my book.When someone else flipped the boat again, Bill helped cut about 2 1/2 feet off the nose and made it into a pickle fork boat. They raced it together in a 6 hour and were lying second behind a very fast Cesare Scotti when the motor let go. Bill had consitantly clocked over 106 mph when they retired. He moved to the states in the 70s I think. Of Mr Badsey, we have fond memories.

Steve Pinson
11-04-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the correction on Bill Shakespear Steve. Bill Badsey was a good friend of my dad. He was a great racer, always very innovative and cutting edge. He was a super guy and always very quick in any boat. He designed and built a fancy gull wing door fibre glass car that was bolted onto a VW Beetle chassis which sold rather well.My dad had a big get off racing a Molinary tunnel. In the flip, his life jacket was ripped off. His legs wer badly broken plus major chest injuries. He could not swim and Bill came flying past , saw what was happening and jumped out of his boat at full tilt and held my old man up untill the crash boat arrived. A true hero in my book.When someone else flipped the boat again, Bill helped cut about 2 1/2 feet off the nose and made it into a pickle fork boat. They raced it together in a 6 hour and were lying second behind a very fast Cesare Scotti when the motor let go. Bill had consitantly clocked over 106 mph when they retired. He moved to the states in the 70s I think. Of Mr Badsey, we have fond memories. I first time I saw Bill Badsey race in the UK. was in the 1974 Windermere 3hr race he had Clive Hook as co - driver I think Clive lived in South Africa at sometime maybe that's how he had got to know Bill.I first new Bill Badsey from 1975 he managed to get a drive for OMC at the world ON championship race in Europe but he flew his boat and broke his back he ended up in hospital we had no idea how serious this was but Bill needed to get back to South Africa and bought 4 seats on a Jumbo to fit his stretcher on.A few months later he had sold his kit car business in South Africa he was worried that his son would get conscripted in to a war that Bill thought might start anytime so he moved to the UK.He set a business up using his South African connections importing car parts I know it included alloy wheels and other car parts.When OMC brought the new 2.5 crossflow OZ outboard out in 1977 Bill purchased one and ran it on a Cougar cat`i think he lived in Birmingham near his old friend Chris Appleby who raced hydros.In 1978 I had Bill as a co-driver for the Paris 6hr race we drove a Molinari together the last time I would see him would be around 1979 I do know he moved to the US but I am not sure when.

toby
11-04-2014, 10:15 PM
I first time I saw Bill Badsey race in the UK. was in the 1974 Windermere 3hr race he had Clive Hook as co - driver I think Clive lived in South Africa at sometime maybe that's how he had got to know Bill.I first new Bill Badsey from 1975 he managed to get a drive for OMC at the world ON championship race in Europe but he flew his boat and broke his back he ended up in hospital we had no idea how serious this was but Bill needed to get back to South Africa and bought 4 seats on a Jumbo to fit his stretcher on.A few months later he had sold his kit car business in South Africa he was worried that his son would get conscripted in to a war that Bill thought might start anytime so he moved to the UK.He set a business up using his South African connections importing car parts I know it included alloy wheels and other car parts.When OMC brought the new 2.5 crossflow OZ outboard out in 1977 Bill purchased one and ran it on a Cougar cat`i think he lived in Birmingham near his old friend Chris Appleby who raced hydros.In 1978 I had Bill as a co-driver for the Paris 6hr race we drove a Molinari together the last time I would see him would be around 1979 I do know he moved to the US but I am not sure when.

Again , thank you for the update and also helping me clear the cobwebs of time. I was drafted into the army in 1976 and at the time wished I could have done what Bill did but that is all dirty water under the bridge. I am sure you will agree that he was a super chap and a gent and he could go quickly in a boat. His kit car was called an Eagle and I think the mag wheel partner you speak of was Eddie Keizan , owner of a huge company called Tiger Wheels.

I am really going back now but I do believe that Bill came from a Hydro background? We had a series where a couple of Swede's came to SA and ran 3 pointers with Crecent motors . Our chaps all ran 500cc Konig motors at that stage but those sweet sounding crecent engins were very quick and if memory serves, Bill ran a hydro then.

As an aside , I commented on the boat with the square cowling and noted that it may have been an Abbate. However I think you are right about it being a British boat. I had forgotten all about them but a couple of them were raced here and left behind with new owners. The Abbate of Tulio Del Rey was also left here and looked quite similar.

toby
11-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Again , thank you for the update and also helping me clear the cobwebs of time. I was drafted into the army in 1976 and at the time wished I could have done what Bill did but that is all dirty water under the bridge. I am sure you will agree that he was a super chap and a gent and he could go quickly in a boat. His kit car was called an Eagle and I think the mag wheel partner you speak of was Eddie Keizan , owner of a huge company called Tiger Wheels.

I am really going back now but I do believe that Bill came from a Hydro background? We had a series where a couple of Swede's came to SA and ran 3 pointers with Crecent motors . Our chaps all ran 500cc Konig motors at that stage but those sweet sounding crecent engins were very quick and if memory serves, Bill ran a hydro then.

As an aside , I commented on the boat with the square cowling and noted that it may have been an Abbate. However I think you are right about it being a British boat. I had forgotten all about them but a couple of them were raced here and left behind with new owners. The Abbate of Tulio Del Rey was also left here and looked quite similar.

toby
11-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Incedently, this is a pic of my dad's Molinari after the second time it flipped is where Bill Badsey came in. A good section of the nose was broken off. Later Bill arived with a big power saw and chopped some more of the nose off and made it a much shorter pickle fork. The boat was quick in a 6 hour later in the year and Bill was running second behind Scotti when the motor let go.58784

champ20B
11-04-2014, 10:35 PM
One of the tow trucks and boats that the South African team toured Europe with. I think this is the one that my father (Ralph) and his best mate (Graham Campbell) raced.

Wow!!!... That is the same model Chevy truck that I currently drive as my transportation now!! I didn't know they had any of those trucks over there!!

Steve Pinson
11-06-2014, 11:33 AM

As an aside , I commented on the boat with the square cowling and noted that it may have been an Abbate. However I think you are right about it being a British boat. I had forgotten all about them but a couple of them were raced here and left behind with new owners. The Abbate of Tulio Del Rey was also left here and looked quite similar. Bill Badsey was a top driver and I am sure he did come from a hydro background as you said` that's how he knew Chris Appelby another hydro driver from that era.He was also a good team mate to me I can remember at the formula 1 OZ World championship race in 1978 held in the UK we were both lucky to qualify for this event which had 4 heats over 2 days. Bill always ran Cougar boats in Europe which at that time were not the fastest boats around.The OMC crossflow were standard race engines we both used and by this time far from the fastest engines in this race which were factory specials all loopers Mercury and Omc` in the third heat my lower unit failed at the end of the race and we never had a spare` well I was lucky enough to be better placed than Bill so he suggested he would drop out of the last race and I borrowed his lower unit and due to his generosity finished in fifth place overall and first private entry58788.

toby
01-27-2015, 04:55 AM
The little E class boat was called a 'Flying Fox' and the picture of Graham Campbell's Molinari 3 pointer is comming into the ramp at Loch Vaal

smittythewelder
01-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Very interesting thread! I wish we could get more such conversations going for racing in other countries around the world (Aussies, Japanese, Swedes, Chinese, South Americans, where are you??!!). From time to time we do get good reports out of Equador on current racing events, not much history. Anyway, Keith, Steve, Toby, would you tell us about the present state of boat racing in the areas (South Africa and Rhodesia) where your old photos were taken?