PDA

View Full Version : Restored 1982 Karelsen 25SSH

zul8tr
10-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Here is a Karelsen pickle hydro I bought from Ron Selewach (Mr Sidewinder) that he had in his collection that needed some help and it needed to get wet again. Its number is 111-N. I have been running it with the Merc 25SS engine I raced back in 73 to 80 in 25SSH with the 2 blade Pinner props I used. It runs out very well at 60+. Still playing with the setup and props for fun.at AOMCI meets. The photos start with top side varnish and paint in process of removal, hydro bottom pics are after bottom restore with new varnish

KG4
10-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I have another 2 blade 25ss prop if interested.

JohnsonM50
10-01-2011, 02:49 PM
It looks real good Peter :cool::)

Joe Silvestri 36-S
10-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Great job! I always liked the lines these boats had.

curbman
10-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Super looking project, very nice.

HydroDyn
10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
That's a real nice restoration you did! I'm curious about the design of your boat. Mine has stringers that run the full length inside, as well as crossribs that my kneeboard sits on that run the full width of the boat. It looks like your kneeboard is just sitting on the bottom wood. Is this correct? No additional reinforcement in that area? I'ld feel like I'ld bust through the bottom with the slamming we take on the water.

zul8tr
10-05-2011, 04:28 PM
That's a real nice restoration you did! I'm curious about the design of your boat. Mine has stringers that run the full length inside, as well as crossribs that my kneeboard sits on that run the full width of the boat. It looks like your kneeboard is just sitting on the bottom wood. Is this correct? No additional reinforcement in that area? I'ld feel like I'ld bust through the bottom with the slamming we take on the water.

You are correct there are no full stringers from the dash to the transom inside the cockpit area just the 2 in the pic that go foreward to the front. I first thought this unusual and inadaquate. Just the full stringers along the cockpit side coamings of 3/8" aircraft birch ply plus full stringers under the deck That is the way Mr Karelsen built it in 1982. He did a 7mm Okume bottom plus additional 7mm glued and nailed floorboard inside the cockpit area all the way to the dash. Apparently that was strong enough since this boat was actively raced in 25SSH then some lake running until Ron Selewach bought it back in early 2000 I believe. I noticed no bottom distress in areas directly below the floorboard. So I presume he built it strong enough. Note he used Weldwood powered glue water activated so that required excellent carpentry. I did notice that Mr Karelson used Sitka spruce framing and several plywood thicknesses (2, 3, 4, 6, 7 mm and 3/8") depending on weight and water loading condiotions so he paid carefull attention to the materials.

In my restoration I could not get the floorboard to look good for varnish so I added a piece of 6mm Okume about 2/3 of the cockpit length from transom then reduced to 3mm Okume to the dash.

zul8tr
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I have another 2 blade 25ss prop if interested.

Thanks I will keep that in mind after I play with the 3- 25ss Pinners that I have from my racing days. Do you know the pitch, diameter and maker of the prop?

zul8tr
10-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks to all for the complements, much apprecuated.Restorations can be more work that a new build, it"s like a box of chocolets since you never know what to expect.:eek:

Aeroliner
10-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Exceptional work on the hydro. Good luck with running it. Hope to see it at an AOMCI meet one day.

Alan

zul8tr
10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Exceptional work on the hydro. Good luck with running it. Hope to see it at an AOMCI meet one day.

Alan

Alan thanks for the comlement. I go to almost all the AOMCI meets here in the Central Fla area. David has been to a few hope to see you there.
Pete

HydroDyn
10-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation of the structure. It's always interesting to see the differences between designs.

zul8tr
10-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation of the structure. It's always interesting to see the differences between designs.

BTW I believe it works because the cockpit was made 15.5" wide thus the bottom is stiffer with 2 x 7mm over that span + with foam for the knees and usually the knees are placed close to the side coamings a good bit of the load transferred to the stiff side coamings thus the bottom in the cockpit area is not loaded that much. Mr Karelsen was shooting to lower cg for the driver and this is one way to do it. Definately for a trim driver back in 1982 when I believe weight for 25ssh was 365 lbs. min after the race..