PDA

View Full Version : Made in america

Master Oil Racing Team
10-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I received by post office today three pairs of 100% cotton denim blue jeans made in Texas. And they were far less than what I had been paying for Levi's.

I have worn Levi's all my life. In the past couple of years I have noticed the quality fading while the price skyrocketed. They also have so many styles, I don't know what to buy. I don't keep up with that krap. I don't know a 507 from a 306. All I want is a pair of jeans that is durable enough to wear until the holes in the knees cause me to get out the pair of sissors and convert them into faded out cutoffs to wear in the South Texas heat. That's the way it has been in my life since the early 60's. Levi's were just a few dollars then.

Now I have two pair of Levi's Debbie bought me only 6 months ago that I can't even tuck my shirt into without holding on. Normally I could just slip them on then tuck my shirt in then zip up the fly and button them up. These two pair fall down. And they are very uncomfortable to pull up. It's like some hiphugger feel or something.:mad: Debbie had called before she bought them to ask if those numbers would be OK and I said "I don't know...just get them". Well....luckily, I heard about some American manufacturerers on Fox News not long ago and one was a company in Texas that made 100% cotton denim jeans. I ordered three pair last Thursday. I got them today. Three pair and shipping is free. I got two of the original, and one slim fit which also has a boot cut and it ever so slightly longer. They all fit great, and I can tuck my shirt in without them slipping down. They feel good and seem just like the old jeans I grew up with. Time will tell on how they hold up, but they can't be any worse than the Levi's have gotten in the last few years. Plus they are made in America and the price is significantly better than Levi's. All major brands of blue jean are now made in China, Mexico, India, Indonesia or other foreign countries.

I thought I would pass this along during these tough economic times for people interested in supporting the U.S. economy and not sending our money overseas, and that there would be good value and quality in the purchase. The company is Texas Jeans and you can find them on the internet. I didn't post this to start a rant about shipping jobs overseas, but I thought that maybe in other parts of the U.S. there may be other companies that BRF members may be familiar with to let us know about so we could buy American and keep our money at home and keep Americans employed.

Mark75H
10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Some New Balance shoes are made in the US ... you have to check, but it is generally their high end products that happen also to in demand vs their budget lines.

Skoontz
10-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I received by post office today three pairs of 100% cotton denim blue jeans made in Texas. And they were far less than what I had been paying for Levi's.

I have worn Levi's all my life. In the past couple of years I have noticed the quality fading while the price skyrocketed. They also have so many styles, I don't know what to buy. I don't keep up with that krap. I don't know a 507 from a 306. All I want is a pair of jeans that is durable enough to wear until the holes in the knees cause me to get out the pair of sissors and convert them into faded out cutoffs to wear in the South Texas heat. That's the way it has been in my life since the early 60's. Levi's were just a few dollars then.

Now I have two pair of Levi's Debbie bought me only 6 months ago that I can't even tuck my shirt into without holding on. Normally I could just slip them on then tuck my shirt in then zip up the fly and button them up. These two pair fall down. And they are very uncomfortable to pull up. It's like some hiphugger feel or something.:mad: Debbie had called before she bought them to ask if those numbers would be OK and I said "I don't know...just get them". Well....luckily, I heard about some American manufacturerers on Fox News not long ago and one was a company in Texas that made 100% cotton denim jeans. I ordered three pair last Thursday. I got them today. Three pair and shipping is free. I got two of the original, and one slim fit which also has a boot cut and it ever so slightly longer. They all fit great, and I can tuck my shirt in without them slipping down. They feel good and seem just like the old jeans I grew up with. Time will tell on how they hold up, but they can't be any worse than the Levi's have gotten in the last few years. Plus they are made in America and the price is significantly better than Levi's. All major brands of blue jean are now made in China, Mexico, India, Indonesia or other foreign countries.

I thought I would pass this along during these tough economic times for people interested in supporting the U.S. economy and not sending our money overseas, and that there would be good value and quality in the purchase. The company is Texas Jeans and you can find them on the internet. I didn't post this to start a rant about shipping jobs overseas, but I thought that maybe in other parts of the U.S. there may be other companies that BRF members may be familiar with to let us know about so we could buy American and keep our money at home and keep Americans employed.

Got a name and address Wayne? I have the same issue. Since I'm moving to Truckee, I'll probably be wearing Carharts, but they like their pants a lot...

Master Oil Racing Team
10-06-2011, 07:34 AM
You can probably get it by just typing Texas Jeans on your computer, but I'll look it up Bill.

DeanFHobart
10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
http://www.texasjeans.com/

Master Oil Racing Team
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks Dean. Bill, your question caused me to fish the box out of the trash can and lo and behold.....there is a little deceptive advertising. Seems they are not made in Texas, but in North Carolina. Guess they used Texas in the name for legitimacy in being tough, durable, and uphold the cowboy tradition. Oh well, the main thing is they are made in the U.S.A. and North Carolina, along with Tennesse happens to be two of Texans most favorite states. The states with the most defenders of the Alamo came to Texas from North Carolina via Tennessee.:D

Anyway, Thanks for the link Dean, and the physical address is:

Texas Jeans
100 Industrial Park Ave.
Ashboro, N.C. 27205
336-629-3018.

Gene East
10-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Do they make them for short fat guys?

Master Oil Racing Team
10-06-2011, 02:52 PM
I'll bet they do Gene. Just go to that link and you can click to see the sizes.

This update is not for now, but if the act that bans incandescent bulbs is not reversed after the next elections, Texas may become a source at some point. Governor Perry signed a law recently that as of January 1, 2013 (or maybe 2012 I can't remember) it will be legal to buy incandescent bulbs in Texas. First, there would have to be a manufacturing company making them here, and I don't think they will ship them out of state. But if it comes to be,... all our friends from other states are welcome to come here and stock up.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Debbie and I started buying California wines almost exclusively several years ago and as the Texas wine industry has grown, we now buy mostly from Texas. Up until the legislative session before the one that just ended, it was illegal for a Texas winery to ship interstate. That means if you go to a winery and like certain varieties, you could not order more bottles online. You would have to drive to the winery if you could not find it at a local store. There are many small vintners who are unable to produce the quantity it would take to cut margins and deal with distributors. Since 2008, Texans can buy wine online within our own borders. It could be shipped out of state at anytime, but now we can buy our own stuff, and the vinyards are popping up all over. And....we have some excellent wines. So now we buy mostly Texas, but still some from California, and occassionally wines from Oregon or Washington State, but we really do not know which ones to try because there is not much of a selection down here and we have no input.

New York state has also had a very long history in wine making and I guess maybe especially with the concord grape. Any of you guys from that area have any suggestions?

We do buy some wine from Australia as well, because us Texans have a kindred spirit of independance with the folks from down under.;):D

Skoontz
10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the link! I started buying only beers brewed in Encinitas California, but once I brewed them from Truckee river water, I had to move the brewery.... :)

David_L6
10-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the tip Wayne.

Jeff Akers
10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Great thread Wayne, thanks for the info on the jeans. Think I'll try'em out.

Some of you may know I do a fair amount of surfing here on the west coast. The company I get my board bags custom made from http://www.midnightproducts.net/ is all about "made in the USA" They do snow board bags as well. Here is a quot right from there site...

ATHLETIC EQUIPEMENT BAGS...TRAVEL BAGS

BACKPACKS & BOOK BAGS...COURIER BAGS

PADDLE COVERS FOR CANOES, KAYAKS, RAFTS

COVERS FOR ANYTHING...CUSTOM MADE FOR YOU

We are also manufacturing accessories for
Yamaha Rhinos and Polaris Rangers.
Rollbar Padded Covers, Shock Covers, Grab Handles,
Soft Tops, Cargo Nets and Cargo Covers.

WE WILL FABRICATE ALMOST ANYTHING YOU WANT .

We also produce a complete line of Pet Products including Leashes, Collars and Harnesses. Check out our website by clicking here http://www.MidnightPet.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys are great on the phone too, very helpful and ready to answer any questions.

I can get a custom bag from these guys cheeper than the Chinese made bags I can get off the rack at my local surf shop!:cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
10-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Jeff. I'm gonna give them a call about a cover for my Galaxy I/O. I shopped all over several years ago and bought the closest thing I could find to fit and it was not well made and came all to pieces when I towed my boat to Corpus and back. Only 100 miles. I bought it at a chain boat store that went bust a couple of years ago and I think it was a China product.

I will tell them you referred me, and that the news was spread through BRF.

Steve Litzell
10-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Debbie and I started buying California wines almost exclusively several years ago and as the Texas wine industry has grown, we now buy mostly from Texas. Up until the legislative session before the one that just ended, it was illegal for a Texas winery to ship interstate. That means if you go to a winery and like certain varieties, you could not order more bottles online. You would have to drive to the winery if you could not find it at a local store. There are many small vintners who are unable to produce the quantity it would take to cut margins and deal with distributors. Since 2008, Texans can buy wine online within our own borders. It could be shipped out of state at anytime, but now we can buy our own stuff, and the vinyards are popping up all over. And....we have some excellent wines. So now we buy mostly Texas, but still some from California, and occassionally wines from Oregon or Washington State, but we really do not know which ones to try because there is not much of a selection down here and we have no input.

New York state has also had a very long history in wine making and I guess maybe especially with the concord grape. Any of you guys from that area have any suggestions?

We do buy some wine from Australia as well, because us Texans have a kindred spirit of independance with the folks from down under.;):D
Ive been on the road working all last month and no computer. I don't know about the wine from Cali or Texas but, I might could set you up with some Georgia Wine made up in the hills though. Does it matter if it is Clear??:D:D

seacow
10-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Many of the "stock" outboard motors and some of the inboard motors used in APBA competition. (remember when a stock motor had to be made in the US according to APBA rules?)

F-12
10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey Steve......Is it true the Georgia 'wine' clears the sinuses? That's been my experience. Just didn't know if that was always the case.................

David_L6
10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Ive been on the road working all last month and no computer. I don't know about the wine from Cali or Texas but, I might could set you up with some Georgia Wine made up in the hills though. Does it matter if it is Clear??:D:D

I'll take a gallon! :D

smittythewelder
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Wayne; I'll see if they have an outlet here. And now that it's in my head, I'll see if there is a site that lists Made in America products for other categories.

Only question is, WHY NOT start a rant on offshoring and outsourcing US jobs . . . especially now . . . ??

(edit) Hey, I just looked and there are lots of Made in America/USA site listed on Google!! Why didn't I think to do this before? Doh!:confused: