PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Depue Reunion

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-29-2011, 12:39 PM
This thread seems to have gotten away from the thread title so I'm going to try & bring it back. We are actively planning the 2012 Boat Racers reunion to be held on Wed. through Sat. during the Pro national championships which are usually held the last week in July or the first week in August. Would someone in the know please post the correct dates. Stay tuned to this thread for the official registration form that will allow you to register, forward your registration form or down load & print it & mail it to the address on form. You'll also be able to either paypal your registration fee to an e-mail address noted on the registration form or mail a check with your mailed registration. Just as a teaser, below is a picture of the front of the polo shirt, yes polo shirt with a collar, which will have the same art work on the back as the 2007 reunion but with the date changed to 2012. Also below is a picture of the optional cap which will have the 2012 reunion logo embroidered on the cap. This is the same logo as on the front of the polo shirt but will be screened on the shirt.
Anyone interested in helping make this one of the best reunions ever please e-mail boatracersreunion@wi.rr.com

racnbns
10-30-2011, 05:36 PM
John---

Glad to be of service and think we are starting early enough to do it justice.

Bruce

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-15-2011, 07:07 AM
After some mis-information, Depue will be hosting the 2012 Pro nationals dependent upon a bid being submitted to the Pro commission at the APBA national meeting & approved by the commiission & BOD. Knowing that, we are proceeding with the plans to have our second Boat Racers Reunion during the nationals.

Watch for the formal announcement & registration form later this month.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Just a heads up. I had planned on opening registration this month but the pending lease of the VFW to a private individual, a cousin to the Depue Men's club president, won't be finalized until after the 1st of the year. At that time if the lease goes through I'll be in contact with the person who will be leasing the facility to determine if we can use the hall for our reception. Once that has been determined and if there are any fees I'll open registration.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season. For the New Years resolution be sure to include your attendance at the reunion.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-15-2012, 04:29 AM
The Reunion is a GO!. Most of the final details have been resolved. Look for the registration form to be posted here with instructions how to complete the form, e-mail it to Shirley Summers & send fees through PayPal. If not familar with PayPal or computer electronics, you can print the form, fill it out & send it to the address on the form with your fees. Remember, you can order optional shirts & burgundy reunion caps with a very nice gold logo. The sample hat is pictured but will be burgundy. The shirt will have the year changed to 2012.

There will be a big gathering on Friday at The VFW Hall host by a local company with their famous Pig Roast. During this reception there will be the silent auction that was so successful at the last reunion, some other fund raisers & we will have a boat racers Calcutta which will be based on the top 5 drivers from 2011 high points and the top 4 participated classes from 2011 plus the big 1100 hydro. DEtails of how the Calcutta will work, how the auction for the driver of your choice will be conducted & details of proceeds will be announced at the Friday reception.

Register as soon as the form is up. If you want to make a committment now, e-mail boatracersreunion.com

Mark75H
02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Download, print, follow instructions

Gene East
02-19-2012, 02:57 PM
My check is in the mail!

I would urge everyone who plans on attending, to register as early as possible.

There is no "seed money" for this event. There are up front expenses for this event that need to be paid ASAP.

No one on the committee should be expected to cover these expenses "out of pocket".

It will be worth attending just to see Charlie Bradley and Alan Ishii get a hair cut!!

These 2 Broken Down Old Boat Racers have been growing their hair for 2 years. They will be donating their hair to "Locks of Love". Good job guys!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

Come join the fun!

Lee Sutter
02-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Hi Everybody!!!

I agree with Gene.

I will be mailing my registration next week too. I'm really looking to seeing everybody (young and old) at DePue.

Thank you John for making this happen!!!

Lee Sutter

Mark Suter
02-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for getting this started, Gene. I think it is important for those of us who plan to attend to register early and thereby help the Reunion Committee in the planning of the event. My registration will be in the mail tomorrow.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-20-2012, 04:44 AM
When completing the registration form, it is important to follow the instruction as they are written on the instruction sheet. Open the instruction document first, either print it or write down the instructions. Then close that document & open the registration form. After you have type in all your required information, remember to go to edit & click on "Select All". Yor form will be shade in some form. Then holding down the ctrl key on your keynoard click on the e-mail address for brucenshirley. This will open your e-mail system with their e-mail address in your "TO" box. Then go to "Edit" on your tool bar & click on "Paste". The completed form will appear in your e-mail message area. Then click on "send".

Please remember after sending your form to go to your paypal account & send your registration fees to boatracersreunion.com.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
I am bewildered that registrations aren't coming in as I've heard nothing but positive reponses of attendance. Let's begin registering as we need head counts.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-21-2012, 01:08 PM
A block of 30 rooms has blocked for the Reunion attendees at the Peru LaQuinta Motel. It's just south of the Peru exit on I-80. The phone number is (815) 224-9000. The rooms that are blocked are doubles but can be changed in accordance with your needs. You'll need to provide a C.C. # when calling & making your registration. The block is for the nights of Wed. July 25 through Sat. July 28. If you arrival &/or departure dates are differen, tell them when you call.

To get the special rate of $70 per night, the normal July rate is $109, you must tell them that you are with the "Boat Racers Reunion" group.

This block will be held until July 1st. If the block isn't taken, then I'll have to cancel the unreserved rooms. I we are very successful in gaining strong attendance, they have agreed to expand the number of blocked rooms.

BILL HOCTOR
02-22-2012, 11:02 AM
:confused: Copy that Karen.can't bring up the last part of instructions

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-24-2012, 06:23 AM
Although slow, registrations are coming in. It is important that you register to to guarantee you official reunion shirt (s), optional cap, tickets for 2 free soda or beer beverages & your dinner ticket for Friday night. The dinner ticket will be required in order for attendees to enjoy the catered whole hog pig roast. There will be dinner tickets for sale prior to the Friday night affair on a first come basis, so don't misss out.

We are also planning on a Thursday night reception at the official reunion hotel, the LaQuinta. This will be a BYOB & we will order pizza & collect donations. This will be an excellent opportunity to visit with your boat racing friends & make new ones. The stories & memories will be flowing heavily.

Karen Cadle
02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
:D Glad they are coming in John.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
When completing the registration form, it is important to follow the instruction as they are written on the instruction sheet. Open the instruction document first, either print it or write down the instructions. Then close that document & open the registration form. After you have type in all your required information, remember to go to edit & click on "Select All". Yor form will be shade in some form. Then holding down the ctrl key on your keynoard click on the e-mail address for brucenshirley. This will open your e-mail system with their e-mail address in your "TO" box. Then go to "Edit" on your tool bar & click on "Paste". The completed form will appear in your e-mail message area. Then click on "send".

Please remember after sending your form to go to your paypal account & send your registration fees to boatracersreunion.com.

When making payment through PayPal, as I prefer, make payment as "Personal Payment". Paying for services means they will deduct a % for fees.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Registrations are coming in extremely slow. If the numbers do not reach expectations especially with vendors, we just might have to cancel the gathering. If you are planning on attending, why wait to register. Remember, there will be tickets to enable you to take advantage of the pig roast & Friday's activities which include the Calcutta.

Let's get going!!!!!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2012, 05:11 PM
As I mentioned previously, I might not be able to make it., but my entry will be coming in by mail since I don't know paypal. If I can't make it Joe will bring my shirt back, and I am sure there may be a friend or two that can use my drink tickets, or Joe can buy his cokes with them.

What about the vendors though? I'm not sure what that's about.

And what about this John? I liked the way Ron posted his donations to the silent auction. What about a separate thread for donated auction items?. I have several items myself to donate, and it may help generate more items from other racers around the country. It could be under the DePue mainline heading.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-08-2012, 06:20 PM
As I mentioned previously, I might not be able to make it., but my entry will be coming in by mail since I don't know paypal. If I can't make it Joe will bring my shirt back, and I am sure there may be a friend or two that can use my drink tickets, or Joe can buy his cokes with them.

What about the vendors though? I'm not sure what that's about.

And what about this John? I liked the way Ron posted his donations to the silent auction. What about a separate thread for donated auction items?. I have several items myself to donate, and it may help generate more items from other racers around the country. It could be under the DePue mainline heading.

Wayne,

I need the head count so that I can commit a number to the vendors, i.e., shirts, caps, food, beverages.

The silent auction is what Joe offered to handle. A separate post under this thread would work, but I'm not sure how you can start another stand alone thread. I had Sam Cullis start this one & the web master at hydroracer started the one on hydroracer.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Okay John, I will just do like Ron and post it under this thread. I thought the Reunion section worked like the encyclopedia.

I get the vendor thing now. At first I thought you meant booths like at a trade show, but DUHH...I get it now. I will put together the list of what people are going to donate when we find out, and send it via e mail.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2012, 08:22 PM
OKAY Guys. Now soliciting donations for the silent auction. Please tell us what you can donate for this very worthy cause at the reunion. Ron has posted two items he will offer up, and now I will follow up with some items I am putting up. It would be great if you could post a picture as well, but if not.....well, tell us what it is.

The first item I have will be a new computer printed version of the Bob Hering flip sequence I took in 1976 and as was published in Powerboat that year. There are seven in the set. I will decide on whether or not to add an additional one that is mostly spray. The historical thing about this was that Bob drove Mercs when he lifted off. As near as I can remember, when he came back to racing he was driving an OMC. This was the flip also that led everyone to buying SafeJacs and cutting them up to fit under life jackets and racing styles.

Second is a windbreaker owned by Liz Dortch. Johnny and Liz were both honorary Texans and came to race with us many times. A few months before Liz passed away she asked Johnny to send the windbreaker back to me with some other stuff he was sending. I treasure it as coming from my friend, but I still have several used ones. This was is in immaculate condition and because of the historical value, I wanted to offer it up. The other historical factor is that Lone Star Boat Racing Association was around before NOA and was it's own sanctioning body. It lasted until the mid nineteen eighties. Steve Jones and I worked up the design and had around a hundred made I believe. The stitching on the patch is of the highest quality as is the windbreaker material. It is a tight heavy weave, not a flimsy piece of plastic.

The final item this go around is selected photos from my autograph collection. These are photos I took, and many are rejects for publishing, but when I started this collection, I didn't have time to go into the darkroom before a race. I just grabbed some that had already been printed before heading out for a race. What I was after was the autograph. I got this idea too late in my career to get many that I wished I had now, but I a grateful for the ones I have. My collection has grown too big for me to duplicate all of them, so I will hand pick ones from around the country that I think anyone would be proud to have. They will be in plastic sleeves in a three ring leather looking vinyl binder like the one I have my collection in. You can't see it in the first picture because the binder is larger than the scanner screen, but in the second, you can get the idea. It will have a zipper to protect the photos and the sleeves will be archival quality.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I urge everyone to make payment using PayPal. However, payments made so far have been made as purchases. Doing so, PayPal deducts their fee, so we are receiving less then the $40 registration fee. When you make paypal payment, there are 2 side by side boxes. The one on the left says "purchases" the one to the right says "personal". Click on personal & then make payment. No fees are deducted.

Thanks

Karen Cadle
03-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Wayne,

Thanks for jumping in with the auction items. Not sure I want to auction the Z prototype at the Reunion. If I do, there will be a minimum on the motor. A couple collectors have offered me cash, but I've turned them down for purely sentimental reasons. It's the only motor I've received to date. Hopefully the promise of more will come through, if not HEY at least I have one :)

John, the electronic registration and payment doesn't seem to be working well for most. My registration, along with Rebel's was mailed and the check. My reservations are also made. In my opinion, the old fashion way sometimes works just as well as the age of "tech"... even if it is slower. I think many folks are just plain busy, and many are still racing and others are just doing the best they can and hoping they will make it to the reunion.

It's great to have the shirts, hats, hog and beer ---- but for me it's everyone getting together at Nationals, and sharing stories, cold beer, tea, soda, snow cones sleeping in the pits and caring not if I eat baloney and cheese sandwiches, or purchase from DePue venders. Everyone I talk to is coming, and just slow to send stuff in due to family, work, finances and care giving reasons.

I'm coming unless health prevents, which I don't anticipate.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
It does seem that if you are not using Outlook as your e-mail operating system, the hyperlink process will not work. There are two ways to do it otherwise. Download the form, fill it out & send to the address on the form. You can still paypal the proceeds or send a check.

The other way is to down load the form, fill it out, scan it & e-mail it to the e-mail address on the form that is the address that starts with brucenshirley. You then can paypal the fee or send a check to the address on the form.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I would not put that motor up Karen. That would be asking too much. Your direct ties to such a historical piece make it a one of a kind item. It's the same as me not offering my Marshall Grant D. Some day, some collector will own it after I'm gone (I hope), but for now I like to look at it. I hope we get more items coming in, but I would never expect anyone to put up a keepsake.

I'll find that link again John and download the form, and send it to Shirley.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Just a reminder that those who are attending the reunion, we have a block of rooms reserved at a discounted rate at the LaQuinta , Peru, Il. At the same exit we used to take to go to the Holiday Inn that was race headquarters in those days. It's boarded up now. The LaQuinta is near the exit south of I 80. Mention "Boat Racers Reunion" when making your reservation.

Please, if you haven't registered, please do so as soon as you can.

Bob Rusnak
03-10-2012, 03:08 PM
I would not put that motor up Karen. That would be asking too much. Your direct ties to such a historical piece make it a one of a kind item. It's the same as me not offering my Marshall Grant D. Some day, some collector will own it after I'm gone (I hope), but for now I like to look at it. I hope we get more items coming in, but I would never expect anyone to put up a keepsake.

I'll find that link again John and download the form, and send it to Shirley.

I agree with Wayne. Do not offer it as a auction. Things like this don't come available too often. It is a great piece of our racing history. ...Bob N-96

Master Oil Racing Team
03-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I would like to add though, do bring it with you so we can see it.

Allen J. Lang
03-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Sis, I have to agree with both Bob and Wayne. Bring it for show, but, make sure it also goes home with you. Memories tied with the engine can not be replaced. I sold all my race equipment when I left racing and still regret it.

Karen Cadle
03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
These are the registration forms, and email Commitments Shirley has received as of 03-12-2012:

Tom Berry, John Schubert, Randy Siebring "Rebel", Karen Cadle, "sis", Ralph Donald, June Perry, Charley Bradley, Bruce & Shirley Summers, Duke Johnson, Bob Rusnak, Ray Rodda, Alan Ishii.

If you mailed, or sent your registration form, and you are not listed in the contact sheet, please contact John Schubert or Shirley Summers via email or phone so any timing issues, and/or inadvertent "fouled plugs" can be changed :p

Don't forget we are broken down ole' boat racers, and volunteers --- that "jump the gun", "foul some plugs", and don't "crank over" as easy as we used to!

Hugs to all, and sincere thanks. :)

Karen Cadle
03-14-2012, 09:57 AM

F-12
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Things are not looking good for us to have the best party on the planet, with the best hydro and runabout drivers of our time. People need to get registered so John can tell how to deal with this. Don't want to have the plug pulled due to lack of interest as I know there are a whole lot of people that will enjoy talking to old friends and legends at a great race. Everyone get on your horse and lets push this through. We will ALL regret not being able to have this time together. John is not 100% yet but if we can do what we need to do here, I'm sure it will help get him back to his energetic self. Please contact me if you don't know how to go about getting on the list. From California to Maine, from Florida to Minnesota, we all have a connection. Let's get together and celebrate a sport that has given us so much, as we have given to support and promote.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Well folks, as of today there are only 33 registrants. If I don't have 100 by June 1st, I'll have to cancel the reunion as the head can't can't support the committments that are required to substantiate the low registration fee of $40.

If you are planning on attending, please register now. Waiting until you get to Depue will not help us to make this a great reunion.

Gene East
04-15-2012, 05:52 AM
At last report, registrations are a tad higher than John's most recent post. Don't miss the boat! Time is drawing nearer each day! Many of the "old timers" are going to be there. We're going to be a great time. DON'T MISS IT!
If you haven't registered yet, please do so ASAP. If you're having problems downloading the form; e-mail me at, eastgene@yahoo.com and I'll snail mail you a copy.
I'm looking forward to seeing all the BDOBR's at the big party!
In addition, there will be some pretty good racing going on that weekend.
Come join in on the fun and fellowship!

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi everyone. We have had a special boat racing friend create & purchase coffee mugs that commenorate the reunion scheduled in July. While we haven't quite come up to the required head count to make this happen, the committee feels that we will get close & have optional plans to ensure it will happen.Below is a picture of the mug. If you are registered, or along with your registration, you can purchase the mug(s) at $12 each. If you aren't registered & don't intend to for personal reasons, then you can purchase a mug for $15. Either indicate on your registration form that you want a mug(s) & include payment at that time. If you don't plan on registering, please e-mail me at boatracersreunion@wi.rr.com of your intent to purchase & paypal the amount plus $7 for shipping to baotracersreunion@wi.rr.com or mail to John Schubert, 6323 Ptarmigan Rd., Racine, WI 53406.

David Mason
04-25-2012, 10:01 AM
At this point, I am very uncertain I can attend, as I will most likely be racing in another state. I really want to attend, but I still have memories to make.

Is there a way I can purchase a Hat and shirt ? I have my original one all autogrphaed with some legends, and it is safely put away to preserve. I would really like to get a couple shirts to wear around in the after hours of the boat races.

F-12
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Go back in this thread and contact John. He will be able to make this happen and I'm sure you would be willing to donate to this reunion, Dave. Even though you won't be on site, I know you will be there in spirit.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
At this point, I am very uncertain I can attend, as I will most likely be racing in another state. I really want to attend, but I still have memories to make.

Is there a way I can purchase a Hat and shirt ? I have my original one all autogrphaed with some legends, and it is safely put away to preserve. I would really like to get a couple shirts to wear around in the after hours of the boat races.

Dave,

Go to the registration form, open & print it & fill in for the optional shirts & hats. Then send to the address therin with your fees. Please be sure to note that it's for shirts & hats only.

David Mason
04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Dave,

Go to the registration form, open & print it & fill in for the optional shirts & hats. Then send to the address therin with your fees. Please be sure to note that it's for shirts & hats only.

Thanks, I will do just that. I really want to be there, as most of my heros in boat racing will be there. Time will tell I guess.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
The mugs have arrived. Might have to reorder. Pictures below. $15 plus $4 for shipping if not registered, $12 plus $4 if registered, or we can waive shipping if you want to pick it up at the reunion.

Gene East
05-02-2012, 02:48 PM

David,

Hope you and your family can attend the reunion. Please spread the word to all the MOD drivers. If they are not racing that weekend, they are welcome to attend the reunion and mingle among old friends. As you recently stated many MOD drivers are former alky drivers.

You have my contact info and you are welcome to share it with any legit boat racer.

F-12
05-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Where are all the people that promised to send in their registrations for this event. You know you want to be there, you know you will have a great time, and you know we are getting close to D-Day. Don't have the plug pulled on the best get together on the racing circuit because you are waiting till friday. Do it now, and be where the legends will gather to enjoy an evening with the best PRO drivers on the planet. See you in DePue.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-16-2012, 07:47 AM
What about the current active racers? I would think there would be enough drivers, pit crews and officials to get beyond the minimum. My main computer has been in the shop since last week, so I can't look at my e mails (at least I don't know how) to see where we currently stand.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
For those of you that have registered, first I thank you very much. I also want to remind you that we have a very special deep discounted rate at the LaQuinta motel at the Peru exit south off of I 80. Be sure to mention that you are with the "Boatracing Reunion" group. We have a block of 30 rooms.

The hats have arrived. Please reconsider ordering one for a keep sake. E-mail me at boatracersreunion@wi.rr.com with your request, I'll add it to the spreadsheet with your registration then please send $18 per cap.

The reunion cups have also arrived. Do the same as if you want a cap. We only had 50 made, so they will go fast. $15 each.

For those that haven't yet registered, get off your *** & do so without the obvious fear that we will be sold out of dinner tickets (which will be mandatory in order to take part of the Whole Pig Bar B Que) as I'm impelled to reduce the head count number due to procrastinators & stragglers. You might be offended by this but I'm doing the work with the help of some very ambitious helpers, so we just can't uderstand why the extreme tardiness in sending your registration.

david bryan
07-11-2012, 04:59 AM
is this race still on

F-12
07-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Stand by for an answer later today. Everyone is doing what they can to make it happen.....

Ron Hill
07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Stand by, I know DePue isn't going to be moved to Grass Lake!

russhill
07-11-2012, 02:25 PM
I hope all who attended enjoy the reunion as much as I did in 2007. Enjoy, tell stories, lie, drink beer, and eat corn. Chew it well.

Russ Hill

John Schubert T*A*R*T
07-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Stand by, I know DePue isn't going to be moved to Grass Lake!

I fully realize that time is very close, but a decision has not yet been made, so would everyone that is awaiting a decision, rather then making negative comments, please wait 12 hours. A decision will be made tonight I'm told.

F-12
07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks, John. Se how you can calm everyone down? Conjecture gets everyone going in the wrong direction. We need to wait as a group for the decisions being made.

david bryan
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
just canceled my flight thanks. i am thinking air boats for next year

F-12
07-11-2012, 03:27 PM
In case things get approved, we'll miss you Dave. We are all standing by for the decision and we are all hopeful for a positive response. DePue needs our economic infusion and the powers that be, knowing that, will do their best to make this a GO.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I always think positive. So now, I think I will see lots of my good boat racing friends there. The people of DePue are going to get a boat racer's stimulus.:D

gearbox49m1
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
10. 4 Wayne I like your way of thinking

Craig

Master Oil Racing Team
07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
In your line of business Craig, I guess you guys must have to have a positive attitude all during the racing season with all that's at stake. But then, regardless of how the weather turns out, at least your race course will not go away because of weather.;):D. I am looking forward to seeing you at DePue.

Bill Van Steenwyk
07-12-2012, 10:59 AM
I have been told by someone "in the know", that a decision on the running of the race this year will be made Friday, 7-13 at 5:00PM.

The problem for those that are not local, is the water is VERY low at this time, about 24-36 inches. This precludes the present Insurance Co for APBA as wanting to furnish insurance as they prefer 4-6 feet of water for a race to take place and insurance be in force. There are many considerations to be made regards this, not least the one of trying to satisfy the DePue Mens Club, who has sponsored the race for many years now, and not wanting to leave them or the Village without an event they look forward to every year, provides some income for the residents, and last but not least, provides continued pressure to do something regards cleaning up and dredging the lake again.

BUT, since the world seems to revolve around Insurance Companies and Lawyers, brighter minds than mine are trying their best to make a decision favorable to most and harmful to least.

I, for one, would not mind going to DePue this year for the reunion, sans the boat race. Possibly renew old friendships and provide the Village with at least some reminder we appreciate all they have done for boat racing over the years. There is always another race down the line sometime, but we all won't be around forever, much less another five years!

R Austin
07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Just picked this off the net about lake Depue.
http://www.bcrnews.com/2012/07/12/no-boat-races-in-depue/a50fmp4/?page=2

R Austin
07-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Sorry about that I should have stared it on page 1.
http://www.bcrnews.com/2012/07/12/no-boat-races-in-depue/a50fmp4/?page=1

John Schubert T*A*R*T
07-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Just received word that through hard work the people in Depue have come up with a workable plan to back fill Lake Depue with enough water that will allow the nationals to be run as scheduled. This is exciting news as now the reunion can go on as scheduled as well. Whoopee!!!!!

F-12
07-13-2012, 11:47 AM
John, thanks for your hard work along with everyone else that helped to make this happen. DePue needs us.............and we need DePue. Wouldn't be the same anywhere else.............

Master Oil Racing Team
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks John..and Todd and to whoever sandbagged the river.:D

I booked my flight an hour ago, and look forward to seeing everyone. I've been scrounging around for items for the silent auction but would still like to have more. If anyone has anything they can part with that might gather in some money for the sport that means everything to us....please let me know. I've got a few Jerry Waldman items to add. I've not heard from a couple of suppliers yet, although I admit I've been behind the curve in asking, but hopefully we'll have a good auction.

Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to make it happen.

Alan and Charley......would it be possible for someone to braid your hair together for a great photo session before it is clipped.;):D

ezryder
07-14-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm so happy with the good news about the racing and reunion!
Really looking forward to the reunion and getting a chance to eyeball a lot of guys that
I have become friends with via the internet, but not yet met in person.

And thanks to John for all his efforts to make this reunion happen!
See everyone soon,
George

racingfan1
07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I am trying to complete my collection of programs from all the DePue Nationals. I have a good majority of them but I missing a few years. If anyone has a copy or an extra copy of a DePue Nationals program from 1989 , 1992 , 1993 , 1999 , 2003 or any from the early years 1965-1974 - I already have a 1972 - that you are might be willing to part with please send me a PM or e-mail me at dhoffert@mchsi.com. Thanks - Dale Hoffert

Ron Hill
07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
As I've said, I won't be making the 2012 Reunion at DePue, but I'll be there in spirit. (You guys can talk about me all you want)....

This is the plate of my DRR trophy, 1967.

Bob Rusnak
07-17-2012, 04:02 PM
As I've said, I won't be making the 2012 Reunion at DePue, but I'll be there in spirit. (You guys can talk about me all you want)....

This is the plate of my DRR trophy, 1967.

John, I want to donate a DVD of the 1972 Nationals. All the legions are in it. I think the COH J-4 with the looper in in it. How do I do this?.....Bob

Bob Rusnak
07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
John, are there going to be any vintage equipment on display? If so I may be able to bring something. Do you want a A looper or a F looper (44ci). Dont have room for both.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Bob, bring the DVD with you and it will be placed upon a table for the auction. As far as vintage, yes...they will be there and would appreciate very much what you bring. As far as which looper to bring, someone else has to advise on that. I think most people would relate to the A looper since that was one of the most popular classes and many have fond memories of racing them, but the F's were more rare and might generate a lot of interest.

Look forward to seeing you again, and hope Loraine and Sean will be doing Okay. We will be there to help.

Ron Hill
07-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Dave won the C Stock Runabout Nationals in 1982. He retired shortly after that, maybe because he "Hangs Out" with me, he bought Ralph DeSilva an Antique Service C. Tim Weber hs driven, Ralph's C Service at DePue for the last, maybe 10 years.

Anyway, Dave bought tickets to fly to DePue, then he herad there was no water in the Illinois River and that DePue might be cancelled. So, Dave called the airline and cancelled his ticket. The airline gave hime like $400 credit for his ticket, but he had to fly outside the USA.

Well, when Daved heard the DePueNationals was on, he called the airlind and explained he "Problem" to them...and they after he :Begged" gave him his ticket back.

So, Dave is off to DePue and the Reunion on Tuesday...

Enjoy, DePue, Dave, be sure and chew your corn!

Allen J. Lang
07-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Ron. you missed a good turn out. Nice displays. For the most part, great Racing.
Alan Ishii and Charlie Bradley lost their long hair. As Charlie said, his helmet will now fit.
Everyone seemed to have a great time.

racingfan1
07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
John - I just wanted to say thank you for letting me be a part of the reunion. I had a good time meeting the legends of boat racing and listening to the stories. Also a thank you to you , Lee , Alan , Bill and everybody there for helping the Mens Club and the Village by donating part of the profit from the reunion to the Save the Lake Fund. It was really appreciated. Here looking forward to 5 years from now ? Dale

John Schubert T*A*R*T
07-30-2012, 06:11 AM
John - I just wanted to say thank you for letting me be a part of the reunion. I had a good time meeting the legends of boat racing and listening to the stories. Also a thank you to you , Lee , Alan , Bill and everybody there for helping the Mens Club and the Village by donating part of the profit from the reunion to the Save the Lake Fund. It was really appreciated. Here looking forward to 5 years from now ? Dale

Thanks Dale & it was my pleasure to meet you face to face as well. After I got home last night I added up the proceeds & without knowing exactly what the last shirt order will cost, just estimated, there looks like I will be able to send between $400 - $500 more to Steve for the Men's Club, to with with whatever they want, most probably, "Save the Lake". Perhaps they'll make me an honorary life member? LOL & I mean LOL!!

The problem with another 5 year reunion is that I will not chair the 10 months of work that goes in to making an event such as the reunion come together. I've done 2 now, so someone will have to step up. Perhaps you? And I would help you with the process & details.

geodavid
07-30-2012, 09:26 AM
The races were in doubt two weeks ago and the people of Depue put forth an unbelieveable effort to make them happen. THANK YOU DEPUE! John Schubert was in the same posture with the reunion, John Schubert's huge effort made the reunion happen. Much last minute organization had to take place. Thank you, City of Depue and John Schubert. John Schubert wanted so badly to use the reunion as a tool to raise funds to help. The Trivia Challenge was a large part of the donation. Dale Hoffert was wonderful with his questions and hosting. The questions Dale Hoffert generated were the buzz for the following days. It was even more of a highlight than the electric shears getting stuck on my head. Everyone, including the winning team (Bill Seebold, Paul Bogosian, Denny Henderson, Wayne Baldwin, Lee Sutter and sorry if I am missing anyone?) were so impressed by Dale Hoffert's questions. Had a great time and thanks to all that helped with the races, lake and reunion. Sorry that Steve De Souza, Joe Rome, Val Collins, Paul Christner and others missed it. A great time! AND I got my picture taken with Amy Nydahl!

racingfan1
07-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Alan , sent you a pm.

Lars Strom
07-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Amid drought, volunteer saves Illinois boat race

http://www.rrstar.com/updates/x1582828456/Amid-drought-volunteer-saves-Illinois-boat-race

Master Oil Racing Team
07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the link Lars. I had heard parts of the story floating around the pits, but not the total picture as the link you provided tells. And thanks much for the trivia rounds Dale. I don't know of anyone I talked to that had ever experienced what you produced, but it sure kept our attention. You did a very good job in putting that together.

Jeff Lytle
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Hope you got some pics Wayne! :D

racingfan1
07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks Wayne. I hope everyone enjoyed it. If you got a picture of Bill Seebold with my daughter and I , I would love a copy.

Dale

Master Oil Racing Team
07-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I did, but I traveled light. I just brought my digital camera and it is so old (like only a few years) that I cannot find a card reader that works. Joe Rome and I went to a giant electronics store the night before I left and found one 2 GB. I took so many pictures, that I was afraid I would run out, so I went to a big store in Peru and the smallest I could get was 4 GB. Would not work. Not only that, the flash quit working. I guess you can balance the good with the bad. Without flash, my negative film would not work in low light. There is something to work with on the computer though with digital. I quit taking so many pictures Sunday and was able to take all that I wanted. (Well...not exactly....but I didn't run out of space:D)

The biggest problem I had was switching lenses. With my digital I only have two and they are for pit shots and intermediate. Since I didn't bring my long lens that only is good for my film bearing Nikon's, I decided to concentrate on pit shots. I did a lot, but like a Pavlovian dog, when those high winding, alchohol/castor oil spewing motors started gathering for a start I couldn't help but burn off a lot of digital memory of the actual racing.

I am just now going to put that little piece of plastic into the computer and take a look at what I was able to get. But I can tell you this. Never, ever will I go to a boat race with only just one camera body. Too easy to miss some good stuff switching lenses.

Dave_E71
07-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Wayne,

Nikon is making fairly inexpensive DSLR bodies that should accept your existing lenses...
I think my current Nikon has 16 GB of memory (it uses both compact flash and SD) and will shoot 6 fps. If I had been thinking instead of thrashing last weekend I would have loaned it to you in DePue instead of letting it sit in the trailer.

Dave

Here's one for $496 with a VR lens
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm

and towards the other end of the spectrum...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300s.htm

Steve Litzell
07-31-2012, 05:45 AM
I did, but I traveled light. I just brought my digital camera and it is so old (like only a few years) that I cannot find a card reader that works. Joe Rome and I went to a giant electronics store the night before I left and found one 2 GB. I took so many pictures, that I was afraid I would run out, so I went to a big store in Peru and the smallest I could get was 4 GB. Would not work. Not only that, the flash quit working. I guess you can balance the good with the bad. Without flash, my negative film would not work in low light. There is something to work with on the computer though with digital. I quit taking so many pictures Sunday and was able to take all that I wanted. (Well...not exactly....but I didn't run out of space:D)

The biggest problem I had was switching lenses. With my digital I only have two and they are for pit shots and intermediate. Since I didn't bring my long lens that only is good for my film bearing Nikon's, I decided to concentrate on pit shots. I did a lot, but like a Pavlovian dog, when those high winding, alchohol/castor oil spewing motors started gathering for a start I couldn't help but burn off a lot of digital memory of the actual racing.

I am just now going to put that little piece of plastic into the computer and take a look at what I was able to get. But I can tell you this. Never, ever will I go to a boat race with only just one camera body. Too easy to miss some good stuff switching lenses.

Please send to me your Email address too: Steve77T@aol.com, Thanks Steve

Allen J. Lang
07-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Want to thank John for all the work he and his crew did to put on the reunion. It made for a SUPER time. Got to see old racing friends and meet many I have corresponded with on the internet. Like I said, it was a SUPER time. I have received several E mails saying lets do it again soon.
Have to give much credit to the people of DePue for all the work that was needed to raise the lake. Never saw a city or town go to such extremes to make sure a race was held. :)

Master Oil Racing Team
07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Okay Steve. mort730@gmail.com

I agree Al.John put in a lot of time and effort and it paid off with a heck of a reunion. Hats off to you John. And it seems miraculous that the volunteers were able to pump that much water in so short of a time period. It is nothing less than an act of God though that the Army Corps of Engineers gave approval so quickly.

Some day I will get some more digital equipment Dave. I just wish all the lenses I have for my slrs would work. The biggest problem I have with digital cameras is reading the menus to see what all I can do. I'm waiting for a voice activated menu so I don't have to carry a magnifying glass.;):D

Here are some pictures to start with.

Can you believe the talent of the cake decorators?

Master Oil Racing Team
07-31-2012, 10:27 AM
A few more.

Gene East
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Great pix Wayne!

BTW: The anguish in June's face is genuine. She really didn't want Charley's hair cut, but she wasn't about to let anyone else cut it.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's one for you Gene. I sent this earlier to Paul Christner for his Quincy website. That's BRF member Al Lang with the Quincy T shirt and Gene East taking the picture of it.

geodavid
07-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Dale, Please check your e-mail. Wayne, do you mean that Gene is not taking a picture of Dan Kirts? Thank you so much for the picture. This is a classic taken by Wayne Baldwin!
Dale, can we count you in for the same at the next reunion?
Alan

Master Oil Racing Team
07-31-2012, 04:05 PM
I had never heard of the type of trivia contest before, and Dale did an excellent job of putting it together. It is Dale's daughter to his right that did the scoring, and she was fast. I do not remember her name, but a big thanks to both for the contest.

geodavid
07-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Wayne, This was accomplished exclusively by Dale. Not only was it great fun, it also was a great fundraiser that allowed John Schubert to make a generous donation to the Men's club. I was so excited to receive this picture that I could not resist posting it myself. Sorry if I jumped the gun on your proposed postings? It was not the first time and certainly will not be the last that I am impulsive. Thank you Wayne for the great pic's. I bought a brand new digital camera intending to take pictures at the reunion and dropped it in the water after taking only one. Guess taking pictures is not in my genes? Thanks drivers for the great show. Thanks everyone for your friendship. I bought a picture that Wayne took of my friend Erik and his Grandpa. I called him after not seeing him for about 10 years to tell him about it. He said that it was funny, after not seeing each other for so long, it seemed like last week when we spoke. That was the same atmosphere at the reunion. Seemed like we had all seen each other a week ago. Boat racing is great!
a

Master Oil Racing Team
07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
You didn't jump the gun Alan. I was glad you posted it. I wish I knew how to fish a pic from an E mail and send it along with my message.:D

I am thankful however that you did not ask to borrow my camera.;)

Remember when you took the picture of the winning team from Dale's trivia and I told you that it didn't take? You took two more, but alas....your focus was a little off. In spite of that....I enjoyed every minute..

This is a pic of our winning trivia team with our competitor from the other team Dan Kirts included.

ADD: Alan was just handed the camera to take the pic and didn't have a clue. He asked "Which button". I told him, but I knew it didn't work and he must have taken the first of the next two pics when I was explaining how to do it.

Gene East
07-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Dale, Please check your e-mail. Wayne, do you mean that Gene is not taking a picture of Dan Kirts? Thank you so much for the picture. This is a classic taken by Wayne Baldwin!
Dale, can we count you in for the same at the next reunion?
Alan

Sometimes you get lucky and get 2 for the price of 1.

Of course no one could ever have enough shots of Dan!

Master Oil Racing Team
08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Yeah Alan, Gene's camera is pointed at the Quincy T shirt. Maybe Gene will post that pic. I didn't even notice Dan walking into the picture, and so I can see from the angle it's hard to tell where the camera is pointed.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I spent most of the day Friday working with John Schubert, Shirley Summers, Cookie Houghkirk and others to help set up the silent auction. George Taylor was a big help moving tables around, and setting up the chairs.

Saturday morning I got to the pits early to start taking some pics. I had a good talk with Bob Wartinger whom I haven't seen in a while. These are some pics from that day.

I don't know some of these people, but I started out with Bob Wartinger and Pete Nydahl. The third and fourth frames are Rich and Mike Krier. Seven and eight photos are Todd coming into the pits in a john boat that was sinking and the scourge of the lake, an asian carp Todd speared and threw out on the gravel at the shore.

I'm not sure who was talking with Todd (I think I know but not sure), and the last pic is a smiling Buddy Tennell.

ADD: Ray Rodda provided me with the roster...so instead of getting in a hurry, I need to refer to that to get the driver's name's right. But in some cases there will be no way to i.d. a boat connection. Thanks much Ray.

racingfan1
08-02-2012, 06:33 AM
I can help out a little Wayne. The yellow V-23 is Paulie Bosnich , who won 125CC runabout , in the boat and Matt Harmon who runs OSY and also runs stock classes. The next picture has Mark Stahl in , W-8 , in the foreground with the red life jacket.

ferv888ipba
08-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Todd talking to Willie Creer, red shirt, works with David Tenney at all races

Jamie Nilsen from Washington, son of Jim who drives in the CS/CR classes with Steve Greaves.

Ray

Master Oil Racing Team
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
One more time. I lost this the first time I sent due to losing connection. So if someone else want's to call out names....go for it. I will,however, start it off with retired boat racer and BRF member Allen J. Lang.

Jeff Lytle
08-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Love em' all! but especially Dan with the stopwatch!

ferv888ipba
08-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Pete and Kurtis Nydahl pulling the string with David Weaver--F-77
Steve and Dan Neisen from Ladd, Ill. Couple of local guys, I used to run their Dad/Grandfather's B-hydro a long time ago V37
Dom Defibo in life jacket and ready to go
Jimmy and James Aderholt inside trailer

Sorry about the roster Wayne, i thought they had names and boat numbers attached as well.

Ray

Master Oil Racing Team
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Don't be sorry Ray. It had everything I needed. I just had it stashed in the box with the extra silent auction pages Gene East made up and couldn't find it. I have it now, but I was timing out trying to upload the pictures and didn't want to have to redo all that. It takes a little while to edit and size the pictures and I just wanted to speed up the process I am now only going to upload five at a time and that should go through O.K.

Thanks much for your help Ray and it was great to spend some time talking with you.

racingfan1
08-03-2012, 06:23 PM
A have a few

#3 - Steve Nilsen from Ladd IL in V-37
#4 - Dan Kirts starting Jim Kirts in 500cc R
#5 - Dan Kirts timing a heat
#6 - Jim Kirts M-9 with Jared Gryskiewicz in the G-55
#7 - Jim Kirts post heat
#8 and #9 - Domonic DeFibo out of Delaware
#10 - Jimmy Aderholt in the 66 shirt and not sure who is with him

p.s. I noticed after posting that ray beat me to it , we must have been typing at the same time

racingfan1
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
#2 - Dan Kirts in 350cc Hydro - nice to see Dan back on the water.

#4 - Ray Rodda with 175Hydro world champion Rene Benecke

Not sure but is F-12 Charley

Master Oil Racing Team
08-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Yes, F 12 is Charley Bradley, and the guy hanging on to the pole is non other than Ralph Donald who is attending his first race at DePue since who knows when without a helmet, life Jacket and wet tennis shoes.;)

Master Oil Racing Team
08-03-2012, 08:10 PM
This next set has a couple of interesting pictures that could play out in an interesting way next year. Paul Bogosian seems to be in deep thought about something. (He's in the foreground of the 4th pic.. Whadda ya say Ray?

Bill Van Steenwyk
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes, F 12 is Charley Bradley, and the guy hanging on to the pole is non other than Ralph Donald who is attending his first race at DePue since who knows when without a helmet, life Jacket and wet tennis shoes.;)

I think the answer to the question is 1961.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-03-2012, 08:49 PM
What?.........You think you know the answer and are not going to elaborate? Thanks Bill Van. It was great seeing you and Eileen again. I wanted to spend more time B.S.ing, but we do that often enough over the phone and internet and I had to catch up with people I never get to see or talk to. I talked a lot with Jim Trimble and Tom Berry, but I didn't even know Ralph DeSilva was there. I had a photo for him to autograph as well as one of Bill Kurps, but I didn't see either one. And I'm sorry I didn't bring the chilipetins I had picked with me, but I wasn't sure I could get them on the plane. The fiery hot little red peppers might have set off the X ray.

racingfan1
08-03-2012, 08:52 PM
#1 - Brad Greenslaugh in the X-9 or out of the X-9

#3 and #4 - Zach Maloit , who won 350 Hydro this year , with Lee Suter and Paul

#5 - W-97 is Brian Palmquist and the D-1 of Michael Schmidt

Allen J. Lang
08-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Hi Wayne. Ralph eSilva was in the antique pits at the ramp.He was with Bernie VanOsdale and Karl Williams. The man has a great mind as he said he remembered me, and that was at the NOA nationals at Alex back in 1965.

Amateur Photog
08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Here is a link to more photos from the PRO Nationals. Hope you like them.

http://photogirlga.smugmug.com/Boat-Racing/2012-PRO-Nationals-DePue/24551202_DJntPQ#!i=2005415753&k=hZkDPhm

Steve Litzell
08-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Here is a link to more photos from the PRO Nationals. Hope you like them.

http://photogirlga.smugmug.com/Boat-Racing/2012-PRO-Nationals-DePue/24551202_DJntPQ#!i=2005415753&k=hZkDPhm

As Always great shots Jean, Would like to buy a couple, :):) Steve

jrome
08-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks for posting your great work. It makes up for not being able to go to depue this year.

Tim Chance
08-07-2012, 01:43 PM

He had wet tennis shoes!

ezryder
08-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Thank you to everyone that made the reunion so FANTASTIC for me!! Even though I was "forced" into retirement after my father's death at Daytona International Speedway at lake Lloyd in 1959, everyone treated me like I had never been gone.
THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!
I would have much preferred to stay in boat racing all those years ago. A lot of you know the reasons why I switched to m/c racing.
But I came back into the fold in 2009 after retiring from vintage m/c racing and started collecting the boats and motors from my youthful past.
I never raced at DePue as when I was forced into retirement, DePue was not yet involved in the APBA alky nationals. But, God willing, I'll be there next year racing a DeSilva runabout with a PR installed. The same set up my dad loved to race so much!
I have the boat, and I'll have the motor soon. I am truly returning to my "roots" and loving every minute of the trip it will take me on to make it happen!

The reunion was so SPECIAL for me as it gave me a chance to meet a lot of guys I knew in my youth. And also meet guys that came along after my time.

One of the highlights for me was looking up Ralph DeSilva in the pits and having a chat with him. He remembered having a conversation with me at the NOA world championships in McAlister, Oklahoma back in 1957. What a memory he has!! WoW!! No wonder he still builds a boat from time to time. A VERY special treat for me!
Thanks Ralph!!!

I know I've not mentioned all the names of those that I had conversations with. Please forgive me. I'm now 73 and I have "CRAFT" disease from time to time (I won't be a threat
in C racing runabout next year at DePue cus I'm not likely to get the start timing right :p

And a HUGE thanks to John Schubert and the others that made the reunion happen.
And, WOW, that cake was fantastic in it's detail!

I've attached a jpg showing me in "training" for next year's race already! hehe! WOW was that ever a BLAST. We ran the rapids used for the Olympics back in 1996. What a "Trip"!!

Regards,
George

racingfan1
08-08-2012, 08:58 PM
For those of you that missed the reunion here are a few pictures of the vintage displays . We even got to hear one of the Deflectors of Austins' fire up. Very cool!!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
08-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Been down a couple of weeks & thought I better post a few photos.