PDA

View Full Version : Help? Abbate family history and boatbuilding in the 50s

bmw pete
12-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Dear All,

Firstly great forum guys, I have spent a couple of hours reading through some of the fun you all have and I have to say you have sparked further interest from a new guy.

Anyway, I am clutching at straws because I do not know where to ask this question and I apologise if this is totally the wrong place.

I am a car guy and have a fairly decent size collection of BMW motorsport I have never owned a boat and although I like them and enjoy the
Hydroplane racing in Seattle every year, beyond that I am a complete "no nothing" on the subject.

I like speed, cars and I love beautiful things, so while at a Bonhmas auction in Munich this October I fell in love with a BMW boat made for Helm Gloeckler in the late 50s (Porsche racing fame and BMW distributor in Frankfurt) http://boats.woodenboat.com/?p=2298
and purchased it. Now, no doubt many of you will think"its a lake boat" and have no interest, but maybe, just maybe somebody will be able to point me in the right direction.

Here is my weird quest, I am looking for any information or books, in any language on the Abbate family and its boat building, but especially
its time in the 50s when this boat was built. It seems they were very involved with racing and I have found one reference in a car description of a Ferrari car engine used by Achille Castoldi in a boat in the early 50s and beyond that I know absolutely zero.

Appreciate any leads you can give me.

Thanks

Peter

Master Oil Racing Team
12-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice looking boat Peter. We have members here from all over the world so there is a good chance someone may be able to dig up some info.

bmw pete
12-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Thank you,

If its any help here is the blurb Bonhams said about it in the catalogue with a few more pictures.

http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/19638/lot/172/

Peter

bmw pete
12-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Well, I am bumping it back up, hoping somebody who knows something is on line over christmas.

Have a great Christmas everybody

Pete