PDA

View Full Version : My timing belt BROKE !!!

skeet martin
01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Anyone have any info on where to find a timing belt for a T2X I tried to keep it soft and not dry roting but time finale got it .Any help on finding one are getting together with T2 and T2X owners to find some to make some . Thanks Skeet ..

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Some years ago when rotary valve drive belts got hard to get and very expensive for the Konig Alky engines, someone contacted several toothed belt manufacturers/distributors with the tooth pitch/number of teeth per inch, and length needed for the application. This belt was fairly narrow, about 3/8 to 5/16 if memory serves me correctly, and they were able to find a belt that was much wider but the right number of teeth and length. The belt was then cut or split into the right width and the problem was solved, at least as long as the wider belt was available.

And no, I don't know how much was charged to cut or split them, but if they are NLA what is the alternative.

F-12
01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Bill's right. I have at least 5 new belts for my Konigs and they were mfged by Gates, I think. Worth looking into..........

1100r
01-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I used to buy belts for my Konig from King Bearing. They were made by gates and worked fine. Worth a try

Skoontz
01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
I used to buy belts for my Konig from King Bearing. They were made by gates and worked fine. Worth a try

Do you mean Kings nuts and Bolts just outside of San Dimas? If so they saved our rear ends at Puddingstone a few years back...

1100r
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
No King Bearing or even Motion Industries. We have both of them here in N Ca. close to where I am. They also carried lower init seals for the Konig unit as well. There both are a bearing places where you by bearings etc.

skeet martin
01-13-2012, 09:04 PM
I will give them a try. I went to their web site they may be able to help .This belt is 19 inches around and has 68 teeth I hope they have something that will work.I will give them a call next week.I was sick when it broke this engine looks like new has less than 20 hrs on it. I turn it over quite often but I think the grease in the distribitor has hardened over time and the cold weather didnt help. It is on a engine stand in my garage.It was just a matter of time. Thank You Skeeter