PDA

View Full Version : Here is a new "antique" racing hydro

Modhydro Steve
08-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Here are some photos of a new hydro that Jay Walls runs PR on. I finished it this past spring and these photos are from the delivery of it before paint.

Steve Roskowski

David Weaver
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Do you know if this boat was at the nationals as either S-99 or H-99? Looks very familiar. Beautiful wood work. Not sure how it ran. Is that Kevlar or some other reinforcement on the sides of the cockpit?

DW

Modhydro Steve
08-09-2005, 06:02 AM
David,

That is the same boat. Jay has added the white accents before clearing it. He wound up third at Depue and needs to do some serious prop work in order to do better. I'm sure it will come along with time. He was driving and old round nose of some sort before this so it is quite a change for him. At least now I don't have to work on the fabric deck for him! The right cockpit side has a lamination of Kevlar on the inside for extra bending strength. I got into this whole discussion on Hydroracer and quickly gave up as everyone got into talks of definitions rather than what works. In my opinion this is the toughest side you can build and will keep doing my boats this way until proven otherwise. Thanks for the compliment on the work. I do my best to have every boat that leaves the shop, whether new or repair, reflect the same qualilty. It comes from years of antique boat restoration and a great pride that I take in my work.

Steve Roskowski

Composite Specialties
08-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Steve, that is exactly how I use to build my cockpit sides. You and I were correct during that past discussion that hemp decided to spread his ignorant knowledge on. Good job on that boat and the composite work. The more you learn and the less you listen to hemp, the better off your end result will be.

Duke Johnson
08-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Steve, Keep up the great work for outboard racing, Duke

riVeRraT
09-03-2005, 08:32 PM
What's a boat like that cost, and how would it run with an old merc KE-7 on it?

I just want to have some fun, no competetion around here.

mercguy
09-03-2005, 09:15 PM
What's a boat like that cost, and how would it run with an old merc KE-7 on it?

I just want to have some fun, no competetion around here.

the hydro Steve built would be WAY too big for your KE7. If you are interested in the newer style hydros, then you would be after an ASH (A stock hydro), which is ran with 15hp motors. If you want some more "nostaglic", then email me, as I have a PERFECT NEW old classic style Champion runabout for sale. You might also be better off with a runabout, as they are easier to drive and can turn right! ;)

Pitboss
09-04-2005, 02:17 PM
David.. Thats exactely what I was thinking too...real shame to junk it up with numbers etc.. What a beautiful job of finishing it out. Wonder what it weighs out with hardware??

Be a real shame to put some "scars" on the deck of this...!

Steve....nice job!!

Pitboss 77

RichardKCMo
09-04-2005, 06:53 PM
If anyone can tell me why raceboats are like this are made from anything but wood like this, i'm sure listening.
That is beutiful.
If the answer is weight change it, wate i mean.
RichardKCMo

riVeRraT
09-04-2005, 08:37 PM
the hydro Steve built would be WAY too big for your KE7. If you are interested in the newer style hydros, then you would be after an ASH (A stock hydro), which is ran with 15hp motors. If you want some more "nostaglic", then email me, as I have a PERFECT NEW old classic style Champion runabout for sale. You might also be better off with a runabout, as they are easier to drive and can turn right! ;)

Well you live in california, I think it might to expensive to ship, but I would love to see pictures of it anyway.

Anyone want to bring it back for me? lol

I am going to test the merc on a small rowboat tomorrow, should be a real blast.
I don't care if I can only turn right, I want to experience a hydro, I've wanted it all my life. I can always get a runabout later. I own about 3 boats right now, but nothing is racing. The main boat I use is a 19' glassmaster with 175 merc on it that I rebuilt, it goes about 45mph. I want to start going fast, but I realize the importance of starting off slow, and learning from a grassroots style like thesse small hydros.
I've been into all kinds of racing in my life, but nothing with boats yet, I have been driving boats since I was 4, I am now 40.
I raced R/C electric hydros, so I have some knowledge of what it's all about.
I water skied for many years, so I am acustomed to being slamed into the water at about 50 mph while slaloming.

Am I painting a clear picture? :confused:

Oh, and I got a 55hp short shaft evinrude that is dying to go on something, that will be my next step. I don't think I will get into racing, because there is nothing too local, plus my Sundays are filled with activities already. I just want to blast off! But who knows, I might find my way into a race one day, just to meet with people. You guys seem like a nice crowd.

mercguy
09-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Well you live in california, I think it might to expensive to ship, but I would love to see pictures of it anyway.

I am going to test the merc on a small rowboat tomorrow, should be a real blast.
I don't care if I can only turn right, I want to experience a hydro, I've wanted it all my life. I can always get a runabout later. I own about 3 boats right now, but nothing is racing. The main boat I use is a 19' glassmaster with 175 merc on it that I rebuilt, it goes about 45mph. I want to start going fast, but I realize the importance of starting off slow, and learning from a grassroots style like thesse small hydros.
I've been into all kinds of racing in my life, but nothing with boats yet, I have been driving boats since I was 4, I am now 40.
I water skied for many years, so I am acustomed to being slamed into the water at about 50 mph while slaloming.

Oh, and I got a 55hp short shaft evinrude that is dying to go on something, that will be my next step. I don't think I will get into racing, because there is nothing too local, plus my Sundays are filled with activities already. I just want to blast off! But who knows, I might find my way into a race one day, just to meet with people. You guys seem like a nice crowd.

getting a boat from one coast to another is not all that hard, as there is usually a fellow boat racer traveling one way or another that could help with transportation, etc. Anyways, I suggest, if you can, try to attend a boat race somewhere in your area. There are usually several "used" hydros for sale at a race and if not, I am sure there will be fellow racers there that could help you out and steer you in the right direction.......good luck and feel free to ask any more questions.....

riVeRraT
09-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Could I see a picture of it?
Antslake@optonline.net

Ted March
09-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Go into: www.apba racing.com
Click on races
Click on Region 2

There are two races in September in Region 2 (NY).

September 17 & 18
Crystal Lake
Redwood, NY
Stock, Mod & J

September 24 & 25
East Byrne, NY
Pro, Stock, Mod & J

Click on the Sanction for directions and times.
You will probably find a bunch of motivated sellers.

mercguy
09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Could I see a picture of it?
Antslake@optonline.net

there is a picture of it in this thread, it is the boat in the middle of the 3 furthur down in this thread. Also, just seach CHAMPION BU on this site for additional pictures.........

riVeRraT
09-06-2005, 04:44 AM
You might see me at one of those events. But it is a bit of a haul from here.
Maybe next year with some better planning.

I realize you guys travel very far for these events, but I just don't have the time. Maybe one day though.

I might have to start a race here on Greenwood Lake, but I don't think I will have any sucess. They used to race inboard hydros here, but there was a complication, and they don't do it any more.

Long Island NY is closer for me, and I think they run them out there.

Modhydro Steve
09-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Here are some answers:

Like David said, this boat is too large for what you want to do. I'd recommend the same as David with the A stock boat or even go for a slightly larger boat for lake playing but nothing over 10 feet or so. There are plenty of boats just beyond their prime for racing, but great for messing around. They are far more economical as well.

My boats range from $3500 to $4000 or so depending on size, and complexity. I will put my building and quality up against any that I have seen and am quite certain that you won't find a better "raw finish" leaving any other shop.

The small extensions of the airtrap are to help with longitudinal stability basically being built in trailing fins. They also make guys scratch their heads....

The boats I build are essentially one off's so tooling and molds just wouldn't make sense for me to do layed up hulls. While looking like a regular wood boat, I use various fibers and materials to build so they are truly composite boats. That word gets thrown around all different ways, but in its true sense, what I do is composite. I use ocumee plywood, balsa cored panels, epoxy, Kevlar, and carbon fiber. Some is vacuum bagged, some is plain hand layup. Jay's boat came in right about 115# with the hardware from what I remember. That is pretty light for a boat nearly 12' long, and I'll guarantee that there in no lack of structure in it. I've done plenty of repairs on light boats built by others and it is no wonder they are light! Here are some photos showing interior details. You can see quite a bit of structure. The key to building light and strong is to pay attention to wood species, size and placement. You should think about the purpose of each and every piece and put them in accordingly.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

riVeRraT
09-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Here are some answers:

Like David said, this boat is too large for what you want to do. I'd recommend the same as David with the A stock boat or even go for a slightly larger boat for lake playing but nothing over 10 feet or so. There are plenty of boats just beyond their prime for racing, but great for messing around. They are far more economical as well.

My boats range from $3500 to $4000 or so depending on size, and complexity.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

They seem to be well worth the price. I build and fly model airplanes, so I appreciate the work involved in making it straight, strong and light.
Check out this link www.blackdirtsquadron.org Then goto the videos section. I did the weeb-site as well. Download the head on collision, that is a 30year old bi-plane with a 2cylinder 50cc engine running on alcohol, swinging a 20" prop. I have rebuilt the plane and flown it again. It has 8ft wings.

If I was racing, I think I would desire one of your boats, heck I desire one anyway, they are so beautiful. I have 55hp short shaft lying around here, would that work on a boat of that size, or is that too much hp? Do you sell plans, that I could build one, but a little bit heavier(weight)/cheaper($) construction.

I put the KE-7 on my 8ft dingy today, and tried the motor out for the first time. I will post video later. It did 27mph on a hand held gps, lol. Maybe the worlds fastest 8ft dingy. The boat didn't hold up to well, so I don't think I will be doing that again. The engine also sounded like it needs some more tuning, it is very querky. The guy I bought the engine from said he tuned it all up with new points and condenser, and plugs, but maybe something is off. It also doesn't run to well in the lower rpm range, it starts to cut out on one cylinder. I really know little to nothing about this particular engine, but it looks like I will be learning. I hope it can be fixed with just tuning it. The needles seem to be right.

I imagine with some tuning, and a 8ft hydro, I could get 30-35mph, and have some fun. But I think I will want to go faster than that soon. Oh what the heck, I will probably be racing sooner than I think. My wife is going to kill me. The kids love it.

riVeRraT
09-06-2005, 07:49 PM
What'd ya do with the body of the guy that ran through your plane? :confused: ;) :eek: :D :D :D

Lol, he offered to pay, because he was upside down against the pattern, over the runway, doing about 90mph. But we never hooked up. It took me 36 hours, and $150 in balsa to fix it.

I was coming in for a landing, because he just missed me like 3 times, and he was making me nervous. I heard him coming, and I was like no way is he going to hit me, ha!

Hey where is the best place to get some tuning tips on my KE-7?

mercguy
09-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Lol, he offered to pay, because he was upside down against the pattern, over the runway, doing about 90mph. But we never hooked up. It took me 36 hours, and $150 in balsa to fix it.

I was coming in for a landing, because he just missed me like 3 times, and he was making me nervous. I heard him coming, and I was like no way is he going to hit me, ha!

Hey where is the best place to get some tuning tips on my KE-7?

boy David, wouldn't that be nice........have someone offer to pay for the damage to our boats, caused by someone else!!!!!

whatcha want to know about tuning your KE7???

riVeRraT
09-06-2005, 09:23 PM
If some Japanese guy showed up at your race, and started running the wrong way around the course, you might get lucky and have him pay. The guy who hit me, was just a guest at our club. But it's all good. What upset me more, was that it was the first day I had the plane in the air, and my son started crying about it. I had flown in formation with a fullsize bi-plane (crop duster) around the field earlier in the day (we planned it) and it was one heck of a day, all to end up in a head-on. But now over 100,000 people have seen that video.

Anyway, back to boats.
Well the guy I bought it from is a retired OMC mechanic, and he fixes up old outboards and sells them here on the lake. He said he put points, condenser and plugs in it. I am very familiar with tuning needles, from my 30 years of boating, and 5 years of plane flying.
He said the motor was querky, but I see potential for it to run smooth. IT seems to cut out on one cylinder at lower speeds, and the higher rpm's sound ruff to me. But I have never seen this motor run anywhere ever, so I don't know what it should sound like.
It's only the first day I ran it, but I want to make sure it is runnig right, so I don't blow it up.

Here is a video of it, it is 15mb, and I won't keep it there for long.
I have the worst capture device, and the video size cannot be made smaller.
www.dockguy.com/cap0044.mpg

In the begining of the run, you can hear the ruffness of it. 27mph on a 8ft dingy is quite the ride!

JohnsonM50
02-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Here are some answers:

My boats range from $3500 to $4000 or so depending on size, and complexity. I will put my building and quality up against any that I have seen and am quite certain that you won't find a better "raw finish" leaving any other shop.

The small extensions of the airtrap are to help with longitudinal stability basically being built in trailing fins. They also make guys scratch their heads....

The boats I build are essentially one off's so tooling and molds just wouldn't make sense for me to do layed up hulls. While looking like a regular wood boat, I use various fibers and materials to build so they are truly composite boats. That word gets thrown around all different ways, but in its true sense, what I do is composite. I use ocumee plywood, balsa cored panels, epoxy, Kevlar, and carbon fiber. Some is vacuum bagged, some is plain hand layup. Jay's boat came in right about 115# with the hardware from what I remember. That is pretty light for a boat nearly 12' long, and I'll guarantee that there in no lack of structure in it. I've done plenty of repairs on light boats built by others and it is no wonder they are light! Here are some photos showing interior details. You can see quite a bit of structure. The key to building light and strong is to pay attention to wood species, size and placement. You should think about the purpose of each and every piece and put them in accordingly.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Steve, I do fine woodwork in houses for a paycheck and build boats, to spend some of it. I want to say Im very impressed and wonder if this is your livelyhood too ? Mike S

AOFOffice
02-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Steve would not be very happy with me if hundreds showed up at his doorstep, but I have to tell you, that one of the best week ends of our life was spent at Steve's house. You wouldn't believe all the treasures in his garage, upper floor and lower floor! And so many projects. All of Steve's work is supurb. And taking a visit to the wind tunnel in Indy where he works is fun too.
He is a great guy to have in boat racing.
Terry and Connie Payn

JohnsonM50
02-07-2006, 07:31 PM

You would need at least a D class boat if not more for that 55, with its standard lower unit your top speed would be limited to probably under 60 but your acceleration would be real good.

wakeboardnaked
04-14-2006, 08:23 PM
very nice boat , i like it:D