PDA

View Full Version : Mods to mercury

tyst67
01-29-2012, 01:40 PM
I have a 2003 30hp mercury sea pro twin. I have a few things done to it. The timing is advanced to 30 degrees from the stock 22 degrees. I have a few exhaust relief holes drilled at the bottom of the leg. And i think the pistons are fluted. I have 40 carbs on the motor and the intake was opened up some. It also has boysen reeds. I was just wondering if anyone knows a way i can get a few more hp. Money is not a factor. And i dont mean just go buy a different motor.

Fastjeff57
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Interesting that you posted this today, for in another thread ("length vs. width") a member has a 40 hp Merc triple that could use "the treatment" as well.

Your motor is actually 2/3 rds of a 40/ 50/ 60 hp triple so, at 40 cubes, it is easily capable of 40 hp (and Merc sold them at that rating). What's different? Carb, tuner and (so I hear) reed stops. A bit of research and you should be able to pick up 10 hp.

Go to a good supplier web site (like Crowleys) and jot down the part numbers for the carb, reed stops, tuner, etc. Anything that might be different on the 40 hp.

Have fun!

Jeff