PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Has It: Miami Marine Stadium Is Making A Come Back

Ron Hill
01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miami-Marine-Stadium/120070811359494

I heard today there is a serious movement to return the Miami Marine Stadium to its past glory days.

boatmark59
02-02-2012, 02:07 PM
No one would like to see it come back more than me. It was the site of the first race I attended, and one of the first places I raced. Growing up in Ft. Lauderdale it was our favorite testing site only an hour away.

BUT, what they didn't really touch on was that the Stadium had serious corrosion issues long before the hurricane. Both on its steel structure, and more importantly, to the steel reinforcement inside the concrete structure. Even when it was still open they severely limited the crowd size due to structural concerns.

There is now a dry stack marina in what was the pit area, and the rest is just sitting there. Alan Vordermeier, a 7-Liter hydro owner, and SE Florida real estate mover and shaker tried to start a movement to bring it back about fifteen years ago, planning a racing, event, resort and condo venue. It never went anywhere for assorted reasons. Some being the city, and the restrictions to the land gift, and of course money.

I wish them luck, but hold out little hope.

Mark75H
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Things have changed dramatically ... there is quite a bit of hope

Fast Fred
02-03-2012, 05:20 AM
:cool:

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-03-2012, 06:33 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Miami-Marine-Stadium/120070811359494

I heard today there is a serious movement to return the Miami Marine Stadium to its past glory days.

A representative of the group working on this project was at the APBA meeting last week. Looks promising especially to us that raced there during the factory wars in the 225's & Marathon National Championships.

jose jr21.
02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Yes,

Things are moving forward with the Stadium. This project has gained serious momentum. Hopefully by mid February we will have some real great news to report to everyone.

Jose

DeanFHobart
02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
>The stadium was designed for hydroplane racing and it quickly became one of the most important venues on the circuit with the late great local Budweiser distributor Bernie Little winning race after race with his Miss Budweiser. By the time the stadium closed in 1992, hydroplanes were reaching 170mph. Now they have passed 220mph. Whether or not they can reach those speeds in this stadium course will never be known. As an aside, only one word can describe unlimited hydroplane racing at the stadium as the huge boats roared by: thrilling. If you never had a chance to see those unlimited races, to hear the roar of those jet turbines, to smell the salt air, and to feel the ocean breeze wafting up across Virginia Key on a sunny day, then you truly missed something. There was nothing like it in the world and there still isn't.

tunnelboat
02-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I want to play there... those pics are awesome especially the lower one... I didnt realize thats what that place looked liked. I have only seen side view pics, never a aerial pic like that... Hopes to race there again are great...

John Howe
02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
The way the racing fleet has declined over the decades,....why bother rebuilding? I well remember back in the 1960's and early 1970's 50~60 boats for the local monthly races at the stadium. Those days are long gone now,...sadly so. There are so few race boats left around Florida now days. And I don't believe in the "Build it and they will come!" philosophy. Heck, on the Yahoo Inboard site they are constantly begging to get boats to show up to the races up and and down the east coast for long established races.

Mark75H
02-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I believe it will have a chance.

I hope the turnout at the proposed Hinton WV race this spring/summer may be an example of what will happen at the right venue.

In addition to racing at "The Stadium" I hope to some day race on Lake Lloyd at Daytona.

I think both sites would be great for combined Winter Nationals events.

boat72
02-04-2012, 09:35 AM
When the day comes that we get to race in the Miami Stadium again (yes I'm old enough that I raced there) we will have a lot of people to thank, I don't know who they all are, but I do know that Jose Mendana will be the first one I congratulate !

Lynn

John Howe
02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Hampton is a fine place to race. I well remember well over 100+ boats showing up for the race "way back in the day". Last year 2 classes didn't run because of lack of entries. I believe they had around 40 boats total last year, and some of that was vintage. I sure hope it's better this year! I'm putting in vacation time for it. I'll fly in rather than make the 16~18 hour drive like I use to from here in Miami. I just don't know if there is still enough boats around to support Marine Stadium racing.

By the way, the Marine Stadium marina, formerly the Marine Stadium pits, still has around 3 and half years on their lease.

Mark75H
02-04-2012, 01:45 PM
By the way, the Marine Stadium marina, formerly the Marine Stadium pits, still has around 3 and half years on their lease.

Sounds just right

boatmark59
02-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Sorry I was an immediate cynic. Guess it comes from having been a local, and watching it go down hill year after year.

I am fully behind anyone who is down there working on a solution.

tahawk
02-04-2012, 08:05 PM
ill be there.raced there back in the early 80s in sport e. blew a motor so tommy and dean drozd let me drive their rig.finslly got to really see how fast that damn thing would run.no wonder they where almost unbeatable..the stadium is a historical land mark and it would be an honor for all us to be able to race there again

MN1
02-04-2012, 09:19 PM
My brother Allen in FJ class at the 1975 OPC Nationals in Miami. It was my first time there. Very Cool!
And two other photos from OPC races held in the stadium.
Mark N
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/Nelson.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/DougPearl-MiamiFL-1.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/MiamiPits-1.jpg

Lee Motorsports
02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
When the day comes that we get to race in the Miami Stadium again (yes I'm old enough that I raced there) we will have a lot of people to thank, I don't know who they all are, but I do know that Jose Mendana will be the first one I congratulate !

Lynn

Lynn,

You are exactly correct. Jose Jr is investing his time, money, and knowledge of boat racing and has the positive enthusiasm needed to help push this movement through the mulititude of "can't do its" that seem to pop their heads up every time the MMS subject comes up.

Yes, there will be challenges. Mainly, fundraising and dealing with a government agency as I see it. But, with people like Jose Jr and the others that are involved with Friends of MMS, it has as good a shot to come back to life as it ever will have.

I know that if we ever do get to go race back there, I will do whatever it takes to be there. My dad raced there back in the 70's and it is one of the top 5 racing bucket-list items for me.

Steve Lee
F1 and Formula Lights #26

Ron Hill
02-04-2012, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=MN1;116088]My brother Allen in FJ class at the 1975 OPC Nationals in Miami. It was my first time there. Very Cool!
And two other photos from OPC races held in the stadium.
Mark N

Bobby Thompson is a pretty "BIG HITTER" in Florida. He owns several golf courses. Jose Mendena needs to contact Bobby. Bobby might help on this project.

#173, Doug Pearl...His SJ was a "HUMMER". That black and blue SJ has a Ron Hill prop.

Lee Motorsports
02-04-2012, 09:42 PM
In addition to racing at "The Stadium" I hope to some day race on Lake Lloyd at Daytona.

I think both sites would be great for combined Winter Nationals events.

Sam/Ron,

Really don't want to hijack this thread, but would Strang have any ability to help put together something at LL? I've often thought SO up to Formula Lights could work well there. Not sure about F1, but could be Bay City-ish (long and narrow).

It will get rough with the reverberation, but would be a fantastic venue for racers, fans, and the sport. Put it on during the lead up to or through Speedweeks. Like this weekend or right after the 500 in a few weeks.

Might be a great time to restart the Grapefruit Circuit. Just a thought...

Steve Lee
F1 and Formula Lights #26

Ron Hill
02-04-2012, 09:48 PM
ill be there.raced there back in the early 80s in sport e. blew a motor so tommy and dean drozd let me drive their rig.finally got to really see how fast that damn thing would run.no wonder they where almost unbeatable..the stadium is a historical land mark and it would be an honor for all us to be able to race there again

Which Drozd was killed at Havasu?

MAYBE OFF THE SUBJECT, BUT I THINK THE FIRST RACE BACK AT MIAMI SHOULD BE A 24 HOURS, BASED ON OFFROAD TYPE RACING.

Binger
02-04-2012, 09:57 PM
anyone talk to Lucas Oil about getting involved, it seems right up there ally.

Ron Hill
02-04-2012, 10:04 PM
anyone talk to Lucas Oil about getting involved, it seems right up there ally.

Lucas loves TV, but I feel YOU TUBE will beat TV in the future......when the Honey Badger can get 36 million views, TV has no monopoly.

I actually have a contact who knows "Mr. Lucas" very well. This contact will be at our shop on Monday. I will put a "Bug" in his ear about Miami.

My Miami contact told me, "The city would rather spend a 100 million on a new football stadium than spend a million of the MARINE STADIUM.

Trust me, we need to "PIMP" You Tube Boat Racing. View it as often as possible.....

tahawk
02-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Lucas loves TV, but I feel YOU TUBE will beat TV in the future......when the Honey Badger can get 36 million views, TV has no monopoly.

I actually have a contact who knows "Mr. Lucas" very well. This contact will be at our shop on Monday. I will put a "Bug" in his ear about Miami.

My Miami contact told me, "The city would rather spend a 100 million on a new football stadium than spend a million of the MARINE STADIUM.

Trust me, we need to "PIMP" You Tube Boat Racing. View it as often as possible.....Dennis drodz

FlatRacer
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd love to see a "Stadium Series" to include Miami, Firebird (the whole course, not just the front straight), Long Beach, and Valleyfield (while admittedly not a purpose built stadium, still a boat racing Mecca with huge crowds). Perhaps combined inboard and outboard events.

jose jr21.
02-20-2012, 12:42 PM
I'd love to see a "Stadium Series" to include Miami, Firebird (the whole course, not just the front straight), Long Beach, and Valleyfield (while admittedly not a purpose built stadium, still a boat racing Mecca with huge crowds). Perhaps combined inboard and outboard events.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/17/2647416/can-the-miami-marine-stadium-become.html

For those interested in Marine Stadium, here is an article from our events last Friday.

Jose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------