PDA

View Full Version : over water exhaust?

serious3
02-10-2012, 07:51 AM
following on from my modding a 40 twin, i would like to hear my motor scream so i was thinking about modding the lower leg to make it an over water exhaust, would there be any reasons not to? :D

Fast Fred
02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
most drill the foot, if you drill the mid you should run a weld around the hole so it won't crack.:cool:

serious3
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
eh? any pictures for referance? ( and some details on your damper set up! tried to pm you but your inbox is full!!)

Mark75H
02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Fred's advice is good. Cracks are possible, more than a few people have lost nice props and gearcases with cool sounding mids

Fast Fred
02-10-2012, 04:42 PM
what you run for power? the dampener is straight forward, bolts to an ear added to the power head bolts, a bracket with an upright mount that pivots so she will tilt and not bind, bolted to the transom. works on anything:cool:

serious3
02-11-2012, 04:11 AM
i'm running a yam/mariner 40 twin on a zapcat like yours!! she gets a bit tank slappy in the chop....is that a pro-comp damper on yours? i have a few small/med shock absorbers here i'll head in the workshop and have alook methinks!!

Fast Fred
02-11-2012, 04:44 AM
i'd drill the foot on that one, there is a rib inside the foot, if you cut it down the exhaust will empty out the cavplate with no out side cuts, looks stock, sounds kick a$$, a shock is not goin to work make sure it's a Dampener , it kills all the pos neg input from the prop. how do you drive left handed ( reg) right handed ( not reg):eek:

Fast Fred
02-11-2012, 05:42 AM
oh i don't run a zapcat, i at one time imported hulls, but found that you can not trust people to honor there word from so far away. i only sold zapcats cuzz it pissed them off:D:)
that red one went to Cal. they are ok to buy one hull from, but i would not set up shop and toss a hundred G's, into boat stock with people that would sell a hull directly to the guy across the street form my shop on the same week my hulls showed up. some things are hard learned in life. the zapcat factory is cool, there built in distributors make them a bad investment passed one hull.:eek:

Fast Fred
02-11-2012, 07:08 AM
this is the hull i'm runnin now,

Fast Fred
02-11-2012, 07:23 AM
zapcat is a solid hull, no confusion there :cool:

Fast Fred
02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
i did sell two, 2cyl 40 set ups over the years, they came back for repower not long after, seems two cyls was just not enuff. thats just two cents.

seems there is two 75hp up for grabs at a honest price, sell the vro on ebay, 350,they go 500+ new, just an idea.

if you needs help with your set up, just ask:cool:

serious3
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
thanks fast fred!! getting 46mph at the moment, and waiting for a stainless ballistic prop to come:( more power would be nice but i'm not working right now so i'll have to make do with what i've got! i do agree that there isnt quite enough with the 40 i have a 55 mariner twin sourced for small money, trouble is its a long shaft and not compatable with my lower unit. that hull looks nice what make is it?

Fast Fred
02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
:), thanks, she was made in S.A., the craftsmen from there are top notch when it comes to toobs. the make, well best to just say you can't buy it any more:eek:. she is custom, plus all my little trick stuff.

serious3
02-11-2012, 02:21 PM
well whatever it is ;) it looks fast!! what's the evinrude on the back of her? sure looks big....

Fast Fred
02-11-2012, 03:22 PM
it's a 19-s FT copy on the back, fancy Stinger75.:cool: she is 50cubes, took a long time to shake a bad set of reed blocks out of her. but gots passed it, on my own. i thinkin She is the fastest ever, was lookin for a kilo to get that done, but lookin like a place called Mullet lake, on the return, lite on fuel:eek: see if i can keep it on the water:cool:

88workcar
02-12-2012, 07:14 AM
following on from my modding a 40 twin, i would like to hear my motor scream so i was thinking about modding the lower leg to make it an over water exhaust, would there be any reasons not to? :D

Testing is best, most engines will loose bottom end power and gain a few rpm. My 3 cyl lost bottom and gained no rpm, the noise was too much for a long ride also. I found 5 complete powerheads for your engine. Big carbs and pistons on that one.

serious3
02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Testing is best, most engines will loose bottom end power and gain a few rpm. My 3 cyl lost bottom and gained no rpm, the noise was too much for a long ride also. I found 5 complete powerheads for your engine. Big carbs and pistons on that one.
did a long trip today and glad i didnt do the mod after all, how the heck do you "find" 5 complete 2cyl,40hp yamaha powerheads? oh and what do you mean by big carbs and pistons? me being a bit dumb an all that!!:p

88workcar
02-12-2012, 05:52 PM
That motor has big ol carbs and big ol pistons compaired to a 3cyl 40. Carbs are big as a 90.