PDA

View Full Version : Boat Sport Magazine

Bob Dunlap
02-26-2012, 04:25 PM
There is a volume 1 issue #1 of Boat Sport magazine, I think it was 1952 on ebay right now. It's not mine but I know a lot of people collect literature and this would be cool to have. The same guy has a hand held antique boat speedometer listed too.

Ron Hill
02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
The hand held speedometer is probably an Aquameter....black handle made of rubber and a chromed speedometer head. Antique may not be fair, as my brother got a new one, for FREE in 1955 from Richard McFadden. At the time he was maybe president of Aquameter gauges.

How the "FREE" speedometer came about was when my brother got out of the U.S. Army in 1955, he decided to buy a new '55 Chevy convertible. My dad had been invited to motor inspect at the 1955 Winnebagoland Marathon. So, we (my mom, dad, my brother and me.) all flew to Detroit and picked up the new convertible.

My brother was telling someone at the race there was only ONE speedometer and it was called a "KELLER". Dick McFadden was standing with Charlie Strang and Edgar Rose and over heard my brother's comment. He told my brother in no uncertain terms that HIS racing speedometer was better than a Keller and he'd send him one to prove it.

The truth was, the "KELLER" was the only speedometer you could rely upon for accurate speeds.

Ernie Dawe was using an Aquameter "Hand Held" speedometer as late as 1960 at Beloit.

I would like to see the E-Bay listing...

zul8tr
02-27-2012, 09:04 AM
There is a volume 1 issue #1 of Boat Sport magazine, I think it was 1952 on ebay right now. It's not mine but I know a lot of people collect literature and this would be cool to have. The same guy has a hand held antique boat speedometer listed too.

Here are most if not all the Boat sport mags. There are PDF files listed as well.

http://www.boatsport.org/theboatsportmagazines.html

On page 9 there is a tech article on making a great running Class A enginer.