PDA

View Full Version : GLBC newsletter from 74 with race results

brichter
03-03-2012, 07:19 PM
This newsletter has been stashed away for many years and somehow survived, although it is starting to get rough. I figured I had better scan this in and share it before I lose it or it completely deteriorates.
I know some of the names in the race results section are guys that are on BRF, and some of the drivers listed are no longer with us. Some great stories here as well.
Would love to hear from anyone mentioned in the newsletter.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I wasn't mentioned in the newsletter, but I along with a whole bunch of others who frequent BRF know a few, some, or a lot of these names. I will state for a lot of people that read BRF Posts, but don't make any comments.......Thank You. Thanks for not only saving the racing info and results, but also for taking the time to post them. I hope you have more. You would be surprised probably by the number of people that never kept anything, and just a post of a race schedule that they had special memories of would bring back a flood of memories.

MN1
03-08-2012, 06:51 PM
I ran into Jeff Palmer in I think 1976 in St. Anne, IL. I was was in a 1 mile run and he came from Danville, IL to run in this race.
He had raced in SD class with a 13' Delta. Nice guy.
Mark N

brichter
03-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Here is a bio from one of the club programs. He was on the Stem T' Stern team, Ron Baker's team from Danville.

John Tiger
03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I wasn't mentioned in the newsletter, but I along with a whole bunch of others who frequent BRF know a few, some, or a lot of these names. I will state for a lot of people that read BRF Posts, but don't make any comments.......Thank You. Thanks for not only saving the racing info and results, but also for taking the time to post them. I hope you have more. You would be surprised probably by the number of people that never kept anything, and just a post of a race schedule that they had special memories of would bring back a flood of memories.

Yes...I never raced with GLBC except for coming to a few midwest races and the Kankakee Nationals in the 80s...but I remember a lot of those guys. Of course Ron Baker, gone but never forgotten...Gary Cookus, was the out-going Sales Manager for Pipkorn HydroStream when I was the in-coming same. Days gone by...miss them.

John Tiger

brichter
03-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I might as well get the rest of the program on here.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks for posting all this BRICHTER. It reminds me of a lot of those types of newsletters back in those days. I especially liked all the personal comments. We didn't have all the marvels of todays media with the internet, digital photography, professional style home editing and printing, and instant contact with sports networks to get our message out. Down in South Texas we were doing what you guys did, and you did a marvelous job. Thanks once again.

brichter
03-10-2012, 02:40 PM
You're welcome, Wayne. Fortunately dad is a pack rat and hardly ever throws anything away and this stuff was (thankfully) saved.

I have corresponded with a few of the racers mentioned, always glad to hear that they are still doing well.

I will continue to post this stuff as it "surfaces". There are a lot more pictures, articles, and various pieces of literature to go through, about 20 years worth of accumulation.