PDA

View Full Version : Low water pickup

88workcar
03-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I get asked all the time, how do you build a low water pick-up for a small engine. What are the sugestions? I have done them before, I don't need one now. I just think that it will be a good info post to tell poeple to look at. Even hand drawn and scaned scetches would be nice. What do yall say fells?

Mark75H
03-19-2012, 05:42 PM
There are several simple schemes that involve epoxying a tube to the front of the bullet and building up a nose cone.

Easier alternate: mount a pick up on the boat

Nason
03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
450 dollars plus shipping both ways gets 1 done by Bobs Machine in Flordia.Takes about 2-1/2 weeks turn around.

JohnsonM50
03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Ive posted it before but its fairly easy to make an external pitot & rout it to the pump plenum.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/mes355/DSCN0369.jpg
The method of connecting to the motor will vari per motor but can be done Id imagine to most any of them.

Mark75H
03-19-2012, 06:52 PM
450 dollars plus shipping both ways gets 1 done by Bobs Machine in Flordia.Takes about 2-1/2 weeks turn around.

The most expensive way I know of going about it :p

byrdsperformance@tds.net
03-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Weight's a bit also.

Fastjeff57
03-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Got a photo of where that clear hose attaches to the motor?

Jeff

David Mason
03-20-2012, 09:59 AM
I thought I saw where Ron Hill was making some nose cones ? Should be easy to adapt to a lot of gearcases. Epoxy does wonders and machines very well. I have seen a lot of homemade nose cones and I think a few offered on here as a part ready to install.

Tom Cronk - Flordia
Ron Hill - Cali
Tom Johnston - MI
Lee Tietz - Oregon
A few others I am sure I am missing.

I don't have any sketches, but a starting point would be a modfied V shape.

thornl01
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
The pricing from Bob's is not exactlly correct,

For $ 179 plus shipping, you can buy the kit from Bob's & install it your self.

No rocket science here, Just attention to detail & think about what you are trying to achieve.

OMC nitro foot & others in that size class use the kit originally designed for a Mercury inline-six.

Should have cone tack welded if possible.

Just follow the instructions in the kit & it it really not that hard to do.

Have done 6 & no problems yet .

Nason
03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
The pricing from Bob's is not exactlly correct,

For $ 179 plus shipping, you can buy the kit from Bob's & install it your self.

No rocket science here, Just attention to detail & think about what you are trying to achieve.

OMC nitro foot & others in that size class use the kit originally designed for a Mercury inline-six.

Should have cone tack welded if possible.

Just follow the instructions in the kit & it it really not that hard to do.

Have done 6 & no problems yet .

The pricing from Bobs is correct, it states to get it done.I am waiting for the foot for my 40 merc to come back.

JohnsonM50
03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Got a photo of where that clear hose attaches to the motor?

Jeff Yes,
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/mes355/010.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/mes355/019.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/mes355/026.jpg

On the Rude its easy just copied the reverse feed plate out of 1/4" aluminum & pipe threaded a SS fitting in. This works w/o changing the stock pickup, just adds more water & what the pump doesn't take will run off. The pitot run w/o the hose will send a 1/2" column of water 4'-5' high or more.

Fastjeff57
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Wow! Thanks a bunch. I especially like how it feeds along with the stock pump; I'm workig on a Merc 850 on a Mark 55 tower and was concerned about its small impeller for that size power head.

Thanks again!

Jeff

88workcar
03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I took a 40 yammi case and cut the front off. I put a plate insde where the forward race was. drilled the 5 - 1/4"hole and slots capped the top off and welded it on. Still have that one, it worked great.

JohnsonM50
03-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Wow! Thanks a bunch. I especially like how it feeds along with the stock pump; I'm workig on a Merc 850 on a Mark 55 tower and was concerned about its small impeller for that size power head.

Thanks again!

Jeff You're welcome Jeff. I was looking at your 60 block at the Pottstown meet but couldn't go with another project [sensibly] then. Usually the pumps send up enough & the thermostat regulates so there's the option to change or run without. The extra pickup wont send up more water than the pump would take on its own tho, just so much volume per cycle. The idea is being sure the water is there for it to send.

JohnsonM50
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
I took a 40 yammi case and cut the front off. I put a plate insde where the forward race was. drilled the 5 - 1/4"hole and slots capped the top off and welded it on. Still have that one, it worked great.
A nose pick up is the best route if you can do it. that stuff Ive made works but the hose is a vulnerability.

Fastjeff57
03-21-2012, 04:06 AM
One major problem with nose cones: They capture floating grass like crazy! And, unfortunately, the Elk River is loaded with it.

Jeff

PS: Those old Merc 'slanters' are immune. Carl had a good idea there.