PDA

View Full Version : Kuhl's Elastic Bedding Composition

bherrick
08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Does anyone know if Kuhl's Elastic Bedding Composition is still made. If it isn't, what is a good substitute. I am building a vintage runabout and would like to use as many vintage products as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Ron Hill
08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Are you looking for foam padding for that hydro???

I have found what looks like good padding at backpacking places..They use it for mattress pads...

Modhydro Steve
08-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Bob,
I've done fair amount of restoration work on everything from small outboards to prettty good sized inboards. Save yourself the trouble and use modern materials. You can use 3-M 5200 and if applied in the right amount, it will look like the squish of Kuhl's. The big difference is that it will set up and stay put instead of squishing around for 40 years. If you have any glue joints that you want to look like resourcinol glue, use epoxy and mix in some mahohany wood flour and graphite powder. No body will know the difference other than the joints staying bonded. The reason that not many boats survived all the years is simply that the technology availble then wasn't nearly as advanced as it is now.

Steve Roskowski

bherrick
08-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Bob, You can use 3-M 5200 and if applied in the right amount, it will look like the squish of Kuhl's. If you have any glue joints that you want to look like resourcinol glue, use epoxy and mix in some mahohany wood flour and graphite powder.

Modhydro Steve Thanks for these tips. I should have said I want to use as many vintage products as "practical". I used Gorilla Glue on the Hydro that I built and it seems to be pretty good stuff. I have decided to use epoxy on the new runabout as I want a natural wood finish.

Are you looking for foam padding for that hydro??? I have found what looks like good padding at backpacking places..They use it for mattress pads...

RonHill Thanks for your tip also. I have been looking for some padding as my knees are not what they used to be.

kws
08-29-2005, 02:35 PM
btw Bob i love your Quote good luck and have fun on the retro projects