PDA

View Full Version : Hauenstein Family

Ron Hill
08-23-2005, 06:38 PM
<tbody>
The WHOLE HAUENSTEIN FAMILY!!!!
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->When we get moving on this Encyclopedia, Hauenstein will take up several pages...

I could write a book about Donny Hauenstein, and I'm sure most of you never heard of him..

Everyone knew Arcadian....but ORANGE BOATS weren't just ARCADIAN, not sure when Hauenstein and orange came into being, but I remember it in the early '60's... (Jimmy was Arcadian Trucking)...

Freddy the racer, Mercury Racing big shot!!!

Mike and Danny Fred and Linda's sons... Seem that Mike Hauenstein works as a writer, seems he could tell us the Hauenstein history..

Of course, Old Fred could have his own book, maybe even a book about his airplanes...

And Francis Hauenstein, Freddy's mother, use to bring more food to the races than any of us could eat....
<!-- / message -->

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/images/buttons/reputation.gif (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23&page=3&pp=10#) http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/images/buttons/ip.gif (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/postings.php?do=getip&p=477)
<!-- controls -->

</tbody>

Ron Hill
12-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I was telling Bruce, that I'd known Freddy Hauenstein for 61 years....then, I said, Jimmy Hauenstein and I were friend for 53 years.... I said, "Jimmy and I threw rocks in the water before we knew what rocks were."

Jimmy and I were as close as brother, maybe closer...Jimmy loved to "WIN"... the contest didn't matter, he just liked to win, even if he acted like he didn't care...

At the Parker Enduro, when it was 9 Hours, Jimmy never raced....but what he and Olin Griswold, The Needles Playboy, would do is drink beer. Now they had a drinking buddy and that was my Old Man... The only job my dad had, and it was FAR FROM OFFICIAL was to add oil to my gas, at every pit stop....

As the OMC CREW would be adding gas, my OLD MAN would be adding oil. He never believed in the 50 to 1 stuff...So, as the OMC Crew added gas, the Old Man would add about two gallons of oil to my tank...

Well, we finished damn near every year, so, finally, someone decided that 20 to 1 was a good idea....

But I only stopped about every hour and half...So, Olin Griswold, The Needles Playboy, and Jimmy Hauenstein would tell my Old Man it was his "Turn" to buy beer.... Of course, they'd make him pay just before he added oil...then...a few minutes after he was back on shore, they'd tell him it was his "TURN" to buy beer...

At the end of the day, my dad asked, "When did you guys have a turn at buying beer?" They'd say, "we bought first.....
About the third year of this ENDURO...My Old Man said, "Them SUM BITCHES ain't never bought any beer.".... I said...Sounds like Jimmy and Grizz!!!!

Ron Hill
12-01-2005, 07:36 PM
As I was driving along the Needles Golf Course...and I was looking at the fence along holes 6 and 7...I remembered why they needed a fence there....Jimmy Hauenstein is gone, so he couldn't turn me in, but I'll say that someone drove their car out there once...during a boat race weekend...Do-Nuts at 2 A.M., no holes in one, but a few skid marks!!!!

I need to tell the story about Jimmy and his rockets to the moon... But I may need to make a drawing...

Seems, when Jimmy Hauenstein was in school his friends called him "FAT JIMMY". When Jimmy was in Junior HIgh, the Math teacher made a chart with Rockets to the Moon...The concept being that your ROCKET would be at the moon for OPEN HOUSE...Well, Fat Jimmy figured that every Sum Bitch in Kingsburg would be at the moon...So, he never did his homework...

At Open House, Jimmy's rocket was still on the ground, in fact, it had been on the ground for so long it fell over. Everyone else's rocket's were at the moon....But who do you think is remembered, even today, for NOT going to the MOON??? You got it, FAT JIMMY Hauenstein....

Oh, those were the days...Buy a case of beer or go to Quincy to get a piston???? Answer: We can always go to Quincy!!!

Hey, Jimmy...The next time I'm in Kingsburg, Ken Christy and I are going through your garage.....and we're going to take all your beer...!!!!

MikeyHauenstein
12-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Dan and I just learned last week the story behind the orange boats. We had always assumed it had to do with the state of Missouri and the Missouri Tigers.

Frederick Hauenstein (Granddad) actually was an 1880 graduate of the Missouri School of Mines at Rolla, and one of the very few people to make it to their 80th class reunion. His father, Capt. William Hauenstein, was a steamboat captain and eventual boatbuilder and designer in Missouri.

The Hauenstein family’s relationship with the Seebold family dates back to 19th century Missouri, I believe. (Dad?)

After working various mining and engineering jobs across the Western US Granddad ended up in Exeter, California (and later Kingsburg), where he built some race boats on the side, in addition to his other hobbies. My grandfather, Frederick William Hauenstein, raced these boats for a number of years, raced against my father, Frederick Marshall Hauenstein, and eventually retired to focus on his sons’ racing of alky boats and go-carts.

In the meantime - and I'm not sure what year - the boats became orange, as Grandma Frances had a tablecloth with a color orange she really liked.

-Michael Hauenstein

kws
12-02-2005, 11:19 AM
lol the first time i attended a Hauenstein cookout (anyone that has not raced @ Oshkosh should, if not for the racing then for the Food & Fun at the Hauenstein's. Thanks again Fred & Linda)
I asked your Dad why you family team was THAT color of orange. he repied (with a grin) that it was for safety reasons i felt there might have been just a little bit more to it than that :D

Ron Hill
12-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Frederick Hauenstein (Granddad) actually was an 1880....

Mikey, your granddad is OLD FRED......I don't need to do the math...actually arithmetic...to know OLD Fred ain't 125 years old...Now, Freddy may act 125...but that is a different story...

I thought OLD FRED, your grandfather, built the boats....

Exeter.....When Jimbo, Ernie Dawe, Ted May and I use to go up north to race.....we'd read the signs.......Exeter, we pronounced it "X" EAT er.....You may never know how many nigths boat racers sleep in the parking lot of Fred's Cafe in Kingburg, but trust me it is in the hundreds......But no one knew how to pronounce Conejo Avenue (Cone NAY HOE is the correct Spanish pronunciation, I know now...) But we called it "CONE JOE". We'd always tell everyone just pull off at "CONE JO" and sleep in Fred's Cafe parking lot, then get gas, 2 CENT a GALLON TRUCKER'S DISCOUNT you know, it would be OK with Fred...

Ask Bill Boyes how the Chili Sizes were at Fred's Cafe...

I was going up to Chowchilla for a race, my wife stayed home with Jessica because she said it was going to be too hot...So, I took Chad with me in our Winnie (Winnebago)...Chad was about 4...I wake up in the morning with a flat tire..I get to looking at my tires, hell, they are all worn out....I call Jimmy at about 7....he ain't that happy to hear from me!!!

Jimmy says he can get me a deal, but the guy only has four tires...So, I buy four, and while they are putting on the tires Chad is rolling around in the dust that is about 4 inches deep... We leave the two front ones on and Jimmy tells me I can get two in Santa Ana...We hose Chad off and I'm off to the races, I get to Chowchilla in time to race....

When I get back to the OC, I go and get the two front tires....The guy puts them on and says, "Fred's Cafe is PAYING."...We get to checking prices...Jimmy sold me six tires cheaper than the guy in Santa Ana would have sold me two....Of course, I still told Jimmy he owed me big time for buying tires from "ARCADIAN TRUCKING"....Sometimes, it is nice to have friends...

One night, after an USC game....Jimmy and I were having a few beers with a young thing that her daddy owned Mandell Shoes...Seems her name was Toni....As we walked out of the bar, Jimmy told me that right here is where he got stabbed....which was true....I told him that was a cheap trick, trying to get sympathy from the young lady, as there were two of us and only one of her...I'll never tell if the trick worked....

Truth is, Jimmy had been stabbed up by SC and damn near died....

Ron Hill
12-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Now Mikey...You know your Grandfather Fred flew P 51 Mustangs, don't you....But what you may not know is your grandmother didn't know he flew P 51 Mustangs.... Care to comment???

Master Oil Racing Team
12-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Ron, I thought you So-Cal guys knew rabbit was pronounced con YEAH ho.

bill boyes
12-03-2005, 10:10 AM
John Carnakas and I would always stop at Freds truck stop and get a Chili Size. Don't remember ever paying as Grandma Frances would comp us and say come back any time boys.

Fred Hauenstein
12-03-2005, 01:17 PM
But where to start...

MY grandfather (Frederick (nmn) Hauenstein) was (is) referred to in the family as "Granddad," thus the confusion for Ron (isn't too hard to accomplish that level of confusion). He is Dan's and Mikey's great-grandfather and was born in Missouri in 1880. Lived to a ripe and active old age of 105. He actually was the designer of the runabouts my father and a few others raced in the 40s, and did most of the building, with Pop's occasional help. The family knows my father, Frederick William Hauenstein, who Ron calls "Old Fred, " as "Pop" or "Grandpa Fred." APBA racing knew him as Fred Hauenstein, Sr.

Orange - - - "Mom," or Frances (my mother), or "Grandma Frances" claims that she had a table cloth that had a great color of orange in it and they copied that color for the race boats back in the 1940s. I think Pop liked the story that it was in honor of the U of Missouri Tigers, which is where he went to school (late 30s). Probably both stories, when combined, are true. I just remember that our race boats have always been orange. And a particular orange, too. From the safety angle, it didn't prevent my DSH getting hit at the last race this year!

Chiliburgers at Fred's - - - They were a big seller, especially shortly after 2 am when the bars closed. Had lots of onions on them for those that wished to hide the alcohol on their breath, too. There were also thick milk shakes; and no truck stop would be without great coffee.

More later. Jim and cars? Jim and collect phone calls? Jim, the LA area attorney? Jim got his BA in International Relations from USC and his JD from UCLA. Became a member of the California bar. Went into the trucking business.....

Fred "Fred, Jr."

oldalkydriver
12-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Fred,

When my dad, John Toprahanian and I used to travel up north from San Diego, we often spent the night in your dad's parking lot. I always thought it was because dad and John were tired! I think the real reason was the food. Seems your dad and/or your mom very seldom charged us.

As to the color orange, in the fifties, I remember your dad telling John that the association should make everyone paint their helmets that 'bright orange' as they could be seen easier when they were taking an unscheduled bath. Back then people had too many colors on their helmets. Wagner was yellow and black as was Manual Carnackis. Pep Hubbell and Bobby Parrish all black with white lettering, Al Brooks Jr. Yellow and purple, Don Biagio purple and white, Lou Morphy red and white along with Tommy Ingalls. Boots Morphy had red and white with 'Shooting Star' and Boots written on it. I believe Chuck Parsons was yellow and white. John and my dad had this ugly maroon or burgundy. Bob and Alex Cockburn white with a colored diamond shape in the middle. My uncle Fred wore and old high school football helmet dark on both sides with a white stripe in the middle. Walt Gillo started off with some dark color until he cloth the deck of his Phantom boat then he and deck rider went all white. Bill Cones was some copper color while Ralph Holmes was a dark brown.

Myself, I was glad to see the orange rule come in as I spent lots of time in the water for a few years.

I drove down the old 99 a few years back, and I couldn't even find the old truck stop. Of course that isn't really saying anything. I had trouble finding Lake Ming, when we last saw each other.

Good ole days. Can never get them back, but on the other hand, they can never take them out of my memory either.

Ron Hill
12-03-2005, 05:52 PM
But, this "FREE FOOD" is something that is beginning to get to me...Ed (Cheo) always fed me very well and stilll do...plus alwasy gave me more fruit than a man could ever eat before it spoiled...But Chili Sizes....Cheese Burgers??? Boyes and Carnakis always had LOTS OF MONEY.....the San Diego Boys did come a long ways...but.......Maybe, I'm getting a handle on this... Bill Boyes worked for DeSilvas (You guys had DeSilva boats...So I understand here!!!....Carnakis, and the San Diego boys all raced ALKYIES....You figured us Stocker could buy our own Chili Sizes!!!! Was this discrimination????

No, it could have been that, as your mom feed all of us, at the races, many, many times....

Did your mom ever get a speeding ticket pulling a trailer???... (She'd drive about 70, in the middle lane, pulling a trailer....Cops would see her and figure, hell she must be needed somewhere.....)....

Turth is, I don't recall eating at Fred's Cafe very often...and I never paid anyway...I let my friends pay!!!! Besides, we'd usually get there late at night and just crash....in the morning at breakfast....Don't think your mom worked that shift....

FYI to all, Fred's Cafe is just a lot on the Conejo exit of 99, now....Maybe, when Mikey moves to Kingsburg...He could open a NEW FRED'S CAFE!!!! Couldn't sell Beacon gas, it is now Valero Gas....

Freddy, PLEASE dig through you seven zillion pictures and post a few hundred....

I once stole Jimmy's cooler when Jimmy was the ONLY ONE working at the truck stop and he couldn't leave for several hours.....Oh, was he mad...cooler and ALL of his beer!!!

Fred Hauenstein
12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Mom used to get stopped by the CHP but was able to talk her way out of a citation. One time she told the cop that he couldn't give her a ticket because she didn't have her drivers' license with her! (And it worked.) It obviously doesn't pass down because the cops always had my ticket already written by the time they stopped me!

Fred

Ron Hill
12-05-2005, 10:07 AM
My answer to the CHP's was to drive my Winnebago between 45 and 55, in the right lane all day....My driving use to, actually, still does, drive everyone crazy because I'd go so slow...But somehow, those COPS DIDN'T WRITE ME A TICKET! I always drove slow enough to make the Good Humor Ice Cream man past me.

I swear I have this image in my mind, I'm driving about 55-60 in the right lane about 15 miles north of Kingsburg coming back from Modesto, Frances comes by me going at least 70, maybe 75 in the middle lane, windows open, her long hair blowing out the window, trailer swaying back and forth like a "WILD WOMAN" was driving, with a Highway Patrol car on her back bumper.....

I stopped at Fred's Cafe just to see what the COP had written on her ticket.... Frances said, "Ticket?, I didn't get a ticket."....This was long before air conditioning... I remember thinking as I left Kingsburg, it was hot as hell, if I so much as go 62 that same CHP would give ME a ticket....I'm laughing right now, as I will always carry that image in my mind.....

Next, we talk about how the Hauenstein Racing Trailer got the tongue bent!!!!

Ron Hill
01-07-2006, 06:55 PM
A very nice service for Fred today. I guess I never really knew how many people around Kingburg he'd helped.....As Fred was a humble man and would never brag about helping others...

I'd like to thank Francis, Freddy, Linda, Danny and Donny for their kind words today...After I'd collected my composure, I realized that my dad had died just three weeks before Jim Hauenstein was killed...The last time I was in a Church near Kingburg was for Jimmy funeral....

All day long I kept thinking of how my dad and old Fred were really good friends...and how good of friend Jimmy really was to me.....

Fred made a great talk about his memories of his dad....Many of his memories were much like my boat racing memories of my dad....

Many of Fred Senior's stories always ended with, "Don't tell Francis." But most of us who knew the Hauenstein's knew Francis knew everything...There were some really cool family pictures on display, but I only took pictures of the boat racing.....and Fred's Cafe.....and Fred's airplane.

This airplane is NOT the one that was hid out in Ed's barn for several years....

Ron Hill
01-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Top picture was Freddy and Old Fred...

C-186 was Fred Sr. in C Service...

Third picture is Fred, with a starting rope in his hand...

Last one, is Freddy and Fred...but where, I don't know...

Ron Hill
01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Hauenstein Boats.... Looked like a Neal hydro to me!!!

The last picture is Danny, Fred and Linda's son....Apples don't fall far from the tree....Danny is a Hauenstein you can rest assured....

And OLD FRED, I won't ever forget you.....your sense of humnor was just great.....

ADD: Ed and Old Fred use to go out a get a beer, now and then...The local cops would come and tell Jimmy where they were, so Jimmy would send a tow truck to get their truck right at closing time and they'd tow Ed and Fred back in the truck....Sometimes, he'd just have the tow truck (steal their truck)....and make them call to get a ride home.....Of course, Ed and Fred hated to call home and admit they'd had a few beers..... (Frosty Devils, you know!!!)...

russhill
01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
In California there are a lot of important and significant landmarks: Sequoia, Yosemite, the Pacific Ocean, and the Hauensteins. The first three mentioned didn't contribute much to boat racing. The fourth one did.

Old Fred, who just died last week was indeed the patriarch. I have a bunch of sketchy memories of Fred Hauenstein, but the first real memory was in October 1949 at Lake Mead. He beat my Dad in C Racing Runabout. They both had 6 Stud Cs. Unless you're well over 50 years of age you've never even seen one run.

So Old Fred and Francis had 3 sons. I never reallly knew Donnie, the youngest, but the other two probably should have their busts in the Boat Racing Hall of Fame as the "Hall of Fame--Hall of Famers".

To enumerate their racing accomplishments is not what I intend to do here. I just want to say that a major piece of California's and the rest of the country's Outboard Racing has just lost one of the Kings of the Sport--The patriarch of the Hauenstein Family.

Russ Hill

Ron Hill
01-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Here's Fred Sr.'s Six Stud.. It will be going home to Kingsburg very soon!! 0003...only fifty were made Evinrude Racing C's...

I'm looking for my dad's Six Stud 0041.

Tim Weber
01-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Ron,

Get that puppy running and bring it to Depue and race it! That would be the greatest tribute you could ever do. A boat can be found but not a 6 stud.

Tim

Ron Hill
01-11-2006, 05:37 PM
This is me and my dad, Russ Hill, Senior with his Six Stud. I am looking for this motor, as it was placed in Lou Eppel's hands to be placed in the Evinrude Museum, that never came about.... The motor is missing.....

Reward for its return to the Hill Family!

Ron Hill
02-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Well, I was in Kingsburg, today, the boat racing capital of he San Joaquin Valley...Seems I was taking a Hex Head to dropped off at Linda Hauenstein's brother...trouble was Freddy had forgot to call Linda's brother, Linus, and tell him I was a coming....

Anyway, my dad's "SIX STUD" as we called it was 0041, keep an eye out for it, Freddy's dad's was 003...There were only 50 of these "SUCKERS" ever made....The Hauenstein's called them "THE HEX HEADS", the Hill's called them "SIX STUDS"...No matter, they were great Racing C motors...

More pictures here:

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1228

Ron Hill
05-09-2006, 05:36 PM
It seems like yesterday, that we were in Washington, North Carolina for the first Formula One race of the season...Right near Reggie Fountain's boat factory.

I felt old at 53, that weekend, I feel younger at 62 now... We lost Jimmy Hauenstein there, and it was like losing a brother. Jimmy was always one whom I could call with a problem about economics, law or. It didn't seem to matter, he always had a way to reassure me that everything would be OK, that the world wasn't going to hell in a hand bag....Then, he's laugh that laugh of his and say he really had to go, but call him anytime on his 800 number....

I can only find a few pictures from North Carolina.....The black boat is Chad's... The write up is from Chad's sponsor presentation...

9 years has gone very fast my old friend...

Tstone
06-12-2006, 02:03 PM
This may not be the proper place for this question, and if it isn't feel free to delete it (hopefully after I've read the answer). I lived and worked in Bakersfield from about 1994 to 1997 and was invited to go on a white water rafting trip in Kings Canyon. I think that was the name of the canyon, and I think it was around 1996. While on the raft I started talking to a gentleman asking what he did, or maybe his name struck a chord with me. I remember that he said he owned a trucking company, and as soon as he said Arcadian I made the mod-VP, Chris Bush connection. I know my eyes went wide as I realized I was meeting someone that I had read about for years. We talked racing for a while and I couldn't beleive my luck as well as how nice (and patient) he was. Would that have been Jim? After reading all of these posts I can't recall the first name.

Ron Hill
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Jimmy was frequently called "Gentlemen Jim"....I know in my dealings, he did get mad at times....but he was as you said..."my luck as well as how nice (and patient) he was. Would that have been Jim? After reading all of these posts I can't recall the first name."....

Jim had an infectious laugh that made those around him happy also...The Hauenstein Family has always had that laugh, they've managed to see the best in life, even in bad times...At Old Fred's funeral, many spoke, and there was humor in many of the stories about Old Fred...

If you met Chris Bush, MOD VP WORLD CHAMPION, Jimmy was more than likely there with him, as Jimmy sponsored Chris Bush....

The only thing you had to watch around Jimmy, was your beer....as, if he didn't drink it, he'd give it to someone who would!!!<!-- / message -->

Tstone
06-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks Ron, that probably was Jim. My only regret was that he probably had no idea how much joy he brought to me just by taking the time to visit about boat racing. In my mind he is one of the members of boat racing's royalty.

In regards to the beer, there was quite a bit being consumed and I'm a little fuzzy on where it was going or where it had come from.

Ron Hill
08-20-2006, 05:16 PM
When I saw this "T" Shirt at the Antique Outboard Meet, I went crazy...I'd love to have the actual picture....

Tide sponsor with Arcadian Trucking, Burgess hull, Mercury Racing motor... Jim Hauenstein owner...

Ron Hill
08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
mention Jimmy... <HR style="COLOR: #72a5d8" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I should and will, but not today...write a lot about James (Gentleman Jim, Fat Jimmy) Hauenstein. The Arcadian Star is missed....

I used to tell this story to my classes....then call Jimmy and put some kid on the line to ask if it were true...When Jimmy was in 7th grade the Math teacher had a chart on the wall with "ROCKETS TO THE MOON". The idea being, you do your work and your rocket goes up. And in the spring, when your parents come to school for Open House they will be proud.

Well, everyone's rocket was at the moon in the spring except Fat Jimmy's. Fat Jimmy's rocket never moved, in fact, it had fallen over. But everyone in Kingsburg, California, knew that Fat Jim Hauemstein's rocket never flew....Of course, he graduated from USC and then Law School at UCLA. Then owned Arcadian Trucking, world's largest hauler of Proctor and Gamble products...

Jimmy knew there are many ways to WIN!!!!

ADD: Jimmy was never FAT, but he always called me Fat Ronnie, so I called him Fat Jimmy...We drank a lot of beer together over the years...Someone had to help him through Law School...

Jimmy was my friend for 53 years...He died at 53...

Ron Hill
09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Photo by Ken Steelman... John Ward Trophy Winner riding deck for Jay Root...1968???

Is the second picture any better???

Fred Hauenstein
09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Where was that picture shot? Do you have a clearer version?

Fred

Ron Hill
09-12-2006, 11:13 AM
E-mail your address, and I'll send you the photo...

Here is what's on the back...Picture isn't really clear.

No idea where...Kingsburg Hunt and Gun Club??? Weeds look a little like King's River stuff???

oldalkydriver
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
1968 was the year I reappeared in California. I was working at Tahoe and traveled to a few races in Northern California. John T. would tell me that Jay Root and Fred Jr. were pretty good friends when it came to 'F' Runabout. He stated that whenever possible, Fred Jr. rode for Jay. I believe Jay was the only driver that I didn't even get a ride during testing with. I just can't remember! But I do remember Kingsburg. I liked it there, a little rough at times for a hydro, kind of like Lodi in that since. I rode with my dad in Kingsburg twice and believe me it was tough hanging on there.:eek:

Master Oil Racing Team
09-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Quite a contrast from hanging on the deck handles, but here's one of Fred just inside Homer Kinkaid and the Pro Nationals in Depue, 1972. This was C hydro and Fred won with Billy Seebold in 2nd place followed by Dan Kirts.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I came across this photo of Fred in the pits from Winona, Minnesota. He won both heats 0f 725 hydro at the Pro Nationals in a very convincing performance.

Jeff Lytle
09-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Note the early Nydahl CD ignition system. That 12 volt system could throw a spark! :eek:

Master Oil Racing Team
09-15-2006, 06:14 PM
....but five years earlier that spark could be put out by a weather forcaster's 50% chance of rain.;) Fred's wanderings about the plant, and I'm sure , through some personel experience he must have discovered what a mist in a turn did to the OMC CD ingition system.:D

Fred Hauenstein
09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
The ignition system used the OMC coils and pulse pack like the Nydahl system it was based on, but John Alden made up an electronic "adapter" and the sensors/trigger system under the flywheel. It was waterproof, unlike the points system. I could run under a waterfall (almost) with it. It didn't kick back like the points because you had to have a good arm to crank it fast enough (RPM) to make the trigger work and fire it. The problem then was that with the 725's compression, few people could pull quick enough to make it light up. The 500 and 350 were no problem.

Hi Wayne; the picture is of me and the late Mike Harbushka working on his 350 Konig that I drove. He liked those go-kart pipes - and they worked and were quieter.

Thanks for posting the pictures, some good memories!

Fred

Master Oil Racing Team
09-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi Fred.

The points were the weak link in our system then. We didn't have the problem cranking the 725 as it wasn't me. Pit Boss "Baldy Baldwin" went into it with his body so hard that he only used half a wrap to start a motor. However, it would occassionally bite back. My Dad made all his crank ropes from 1" dowells and 1/4" rope. He had a strong grip and he wouldn't turn loose. I have seen the times when the 725 kicked, it pulled the knot through the dowell.:eek: My Dad would grimace, suck it up, and give a real snap the next time, but you could tell by the look on his face that THAT REALLY HURT.

MN1
09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
I took this photo in 1975 at the Kilos in WI.
Mark Nelson

racnbns
09-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I took this photo in 1975 at the Kilos in WI.
Mark Nelson
Fred set the kilo record with this rig at 103[Fred correct me on this]. Notice the nice engine cowl. I loaned that to Fred, but he gave it to me a few years earlier. He did'nt need it any more and it was perfect for my Butts hydro with the six on it. The gearcase is an Eldredge I loaned him. It had a very low water pickup, ideal for kilo set ups. Fred rebuilt the gearcase so I guess I made out pretty good on the deal.
Bruce C. Summers
V-71

Fred Hauenstein
10-06-2006, 10:35 AM
It was 107 MPH, but who's counting.

Had a lot of help from Jim Nerstrom, Mike Anselm and Terry Robinson - all OMC Engineering employees - to set up for and establish this record. They helped put the outfit together and do all the testing. Then I broke the two-blade (Bruce's) prop we had found worked best a couple of days before the event and Don Henrich made a new one which was a three blade. I just put it on and ran the kilo - whew!

Fred

Ron Hill
10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
When you broke that KILO RECORD, I was very jealous....as I wished I had been working for OMC....but they didn't offer me a job...

A few pictures from the Hauenstein garage...

Jimmy's old MOD VP, that Chris Bush drove...

Ron Hill
10-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Some interesting stuff in Jimmy's garage...The Arcadian, an 8 engine (8 V-6 Mercury Outboards) is parked their...

Ron Hill
10-07-2006, 10:57 PM
After visiting Freddy last Friday, I visited Jimmy.....

Jimmy has a nice view of the mountains, where he and his grandpa use to walk and fly kites...

It has been a short nine years......

I know it was difficult for Freddy to show me Jimmy's garage, but I loved the chance to see the Arcadian Unlimited Hydro and other stuff...Like Freddy's 1968 GTO.....Fred let this car behind when he went to work for OMC (Before he worked at Mercury)....Just never got around to picking up the car....She's sat for almost 35 years...

That Mark 58 is brand new, Freddy stole the mag arm off it, otherwise it is new, 1958, and original...

Ron Hill
10-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Go Karts...The Hauenstein Boys raced in the Bahama Islands with Red Chrss, the guy who later promoted Offshore Racing in the Bahamas...

New V-4 Evinrude Strangler flywheels???

I think Freddy and Linda will stay i n Wisconsin and leave Jimmy's garage in California....

Hubbell overdrive unit, and Quincy HORNS for a PR 65.....

The OLD GUY is Fred Hauenstein....

NERSTROM
10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
We had a great time putting the stuff together for the Mod 50 / OE Record. Fred never had a chance to run the boat fast before the actual kilo, the only thing that that kept him on the water during the run was the "suck factor" (technical term) - Fred insisted it was just talent. Whatever the reason, it was an incredible run. If Fred had kept his throttle arm inside the boat for those runs he could have gone faster. You need to get Fred to tell you who the inspector was for the kilo and how he got through inspection. Another great story. I would take care with the OLD GUY comments.

Kart looks like a Rupp - Dart Kart. Still have my Fox hanging on the garage wall.

Fred Hauenstein
10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
The kart is a Go-Kart from the original company in Azusa, California.

Jim Nerstrom, Mike Anselm, Terry Robinson and I did the Mod 50 kilo record pretty much on our own. It wasn't officially sanctioned by the OMC Race Group and we paid our own expenses. OMC Engineering loaned the engine and built the tower housing and I borrowed the gear case from Bruce Summers, used my boat(s), etc. When we broke the good (borrowed) prop (Bruce's), OMC Propellers/Don Henrich and the late Harold Nauss got involved and whipped out a "replacement" (in one day).

Inspection of the Mod 50 for the kilo record at 107+ MPH was by none other than Edgar Rose: There were several OMC people that were very pleased with the new record, so when Edgar started the inspection process he didn't want or expect any trouble. Edgar checked our fuel and all the engine requirements carefully for compliance, except that he measured one cylinder and multiplied by three. He came up with too much displacement. Now he was faced with the possibility of disqualifying his own company's employees and handing the record over to a Mercury which had gone through the same day at some speed in the 70s. We assured him the engine was legal - we knew it was, it just had this one sloppy cylinder from too many hone and re-ring jobs.

After a lot of convincing, he measured each cylinder bore and each stroke individually (and more accurately), computed each cylinder's capacity and added them up - and it was legal.

So Edgar said "Congratulations, you have the new record." To which I replied that he hadn't checked the boat's length yet, since Mod 50 required a 13 foot boat. (A set-up in the works: We had spent a lot of time worrying about the rules and this boat, my BellCraft 700cc hydro, versus a faster one I had that was too short by an inch.) Edgar got his tape and measured the boat and came up with 12 feet, 10.5 inches and was ready to blow a gasket until I reminded him that the OPC rules allowed a 2 inch tolerance. Edgar said "Get this ****ing boat out of here!"

But that's not all: On Monday we all received an internal memo at OMC Engineering that any future activities of this sort would be preceded by an inspection at OMC facilities before attending the event. Signed by Edgar Rose, Engineering VP, copied to C.D. Strang, etc..

Jim can probably add more to this story, too. It was a lot of fun, from the planning, the testing where we had to carry the boat over a stone fence and down a long hill to get to water to test, the last-minute scramble, and the record. Then OMC Marketing wanted pictures and we had to go set up the boat and run at the test site afterwards, too.

We even put the team together again and ran 1100cc PRO hydro at the Winona, MN, PRO nationals that year. Another story.

Fred

Fred Hauenstein
10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I wasn't worried so much about keeping my arm inside the boat. I was worried about keeping myself inside the boat!

For several reason, I still think we could have gone quite a bit faster.

In 1978 OMC bought a hydro from Ron Anderson for the OE Worlds at Dayton. That was the first hydro in which I really experienced blow-out. (We had gone all through that problem in alky DRR in the early 60s with the Quincy-Mercs and Quickies at about 76 MPH, but I'd never experienced it in a hydro.) I was running at 108 at the end of the straight at Dayton when it would come unglued. No real problem - just hesitate until it hooked back up. But, the water got too rough for hydros for that race and the tunnel boats beat us all, including the hot Konigs, etc. (See Wayne's posts about this race.)

The point is, at a relatively conservative height and acceleration prop/set-up, dragging a Keller pitot tube, I could run 108 on the course at Dayton, so I'm sure there was more in the kilo set-up if we had the time to wring it out. Never-the-less, the Mod 50 record stood for some years.

Fred

MikeyHauenstein
10-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey Dad,

Looks like you're banging your head against the door of the Arcadian parts dept. - was Mr. Hill giving you a hard time?

mah

Master Oil Racing Team
10-11-2006, 07:38 AM
We made a 108 average in 1977 with our dual rotary valve Konig we got from Marshall Grant, but it was entered as 1100cc hydro. It was really an OE. I got to thinking why didn't we also run it as an OE? So I looked it up and found out we rolled the dice wrong.

We had won the Nationals with that motor the previous month in Hinton, and even though it ran bad the last lap and a half, we thought it was because I had such a lead and had backed off too much, loading up the engine. We didn't bother to go through it. All we did was change plugs.

Well, when we started to make our first run at Devils Lake, it wouldn't even get on a plane. I came back to the pits 3 times to change props. We had a 1:1 unit on it and we finally had to put the C prop on it to get on a plane. The first two attempts were for the 1100 hydro record belonging to Hu Entrop. Our best was 2 mph short of Entrop's record and 3 short of claiming a new one.

I found out that we DID go for the OE. That was the last year methanol was legal in OE. We knew something was wrong with the motor, but it was still running. We didn't know what the OE record was and it was obvious that we weren't going to break the 1100 hydro record, so we decided to go for the OE. We didn't know what the record was or who held it. Neither did the officials. It isn't listed in the APBA book except under Mod 50. I guess no one had a UIM record book there.

Our last pair of runs was for OE, but the top front piston that had a broken ring (unbeknownst to us at that time) further disintegrated, resulting in an 88mph average. Your record was 107.629 and to establish a new record, we had to equal or exceed 108.436. Oh Well!;) :D

I imagine all previous records were with gasoline, so if my engine would have been running right, it would have been like a motor with steroids:rolleyes: . So I am glad you held the OE record for a long time:cool:

Hey Mikey....Finally got my E mail working again. Took almost two hours and a couple of tekkies, but the new one is MORT73@hughes.net

Fred Hauenstein
10-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I believe the last Mod 50 record was Jimbo's at 112+ MPH. The OE record got broken fairly soon after mine, by a German with a 705 cc Koenig (just big enough to not be an OD). Jimbo's was also the OE (O-850) record, but it got frozen due to a rule change and now it's only 102-something MPH.

Mikey: I was trying to lock the door before Ron got into the inner sanctum!;)

Fred Hauenstein
10-12-2006, 01:49 PM
By 1977 a German (I forgot his name) had broken my OE record, but by a small margin. He ran a normal (single rotary valve) engine that was really a punched out 700 (to about 705cc) so it would qualify as an OE. Quite a few years later, my friend Michael Werner had that 705 Koenig power head and gave it to me - I still have it. It is just an interesting piece of the history...

Fred

Fred Hauenstein
10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
were placed there by his widow a few days before Ron took that picture. They came from plants at the property/ranch/home they owned in the Woodlake (California) area, where she had stopped by just to look.

Yes, it has been a short 9 years, Ron. We all miss Jim quite a bit.

Kathy is doing well and is moving back to California. She sold the beautiful home she built in Weatherford, Texas, and currently has her horses with friends in California while she relocates and moves.

Roy Hodges
10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Fred Hauenstein]I believe the last Mod 50 record was Jimbo's at 112+ MPH. The OE record got broken fairly soon after mine, by a German with a 705 cc Koenig (just big enough to not be an OD). Jimbo's was also the OE (O-850) record, but it got frozen due to a rule change and now it's only 102-something MPH.

Can you tell us about his BOAT? hydro? tunnel? motor ?
Thanks- Roy Hodges

Master Oil Racing Team
10-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Fred...how about a photo of that 705 Konig Michael gave you.

Roy, we haven't heard from Mike Ward in a long time. His book should have been ready by now and he should have the answer to your question. I will try out my new E mail and find out if the book is done.

Ron Hill
10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
How could anyone really leave Fred Hauenstein, Jr. off that list?

Freddy is/was an engineering nerd... always messing with motors. He got his degrees in aeronautical and mechanical engineering.

He started Co driving with me. He never was given much seat time because I did all the testing. But, by 1978 Parker, he had been doing test drving for OMC, who he worked for at the time. At 34, I felt I was heading downhill. (I had two kids, MOD VP was catching my eye...) Fred was quicker in '78 than I.

After our Parker win, Fred went to work for Mercury. He was also driving for Mercury. At some Alabama race, he and Mr. Bill pulled a double blow over where Fred ended up with a broken hand. No blame was ever placed, but Seebold was Number One, at the time, and employees were not suppose to be "Blowing the doors off" the company's Number One Man...

So, Fred took a back seat...basically retired from driving... so he could follow his first love and that WAS ENGINEERING... Fred has been past APBA President and is very respected and important in UIM.

He did drive a few times after the Seeebold/Hauenstein Alabama Crash....His last effort was testing an S-3000 (When no one knew about S-3000's) during a Parker race when the transom pulled out and he did a two and half in the air and ended up stuck in the mud...with a throttle wire through his leg. Had he not been in the mud along the shore (That is where the boat flew) he would have been a boat racing statistic.

The truth is Fred won many APBA National Championship where Bill Seebold finished behind him. Fred won the John Ward Thophy Race for 500 CC Outboards..something Seebold never did.

Fred drove for Barry Woods, and turned the fasted laps any Scotti turned at Parker, until a sponson runner came off and almost decapitated Fred....Fred had the savy of a Tony Stewart. He came from Sprint Racing but he could drive all day. Fred single handedly lead the Parker Enduro for 6 HOURS one year, only to have he bottom blow out with 30 minutes to go...

Fred was never a "TAKER" from the Sport. He always gave more than he took. Brother Jim was NEVER considered a good driver....but everyone loved him...Brother Donny, was the best driver in the family. He just couldn't seem to wake up in time to go to the driver's meeting or remember which day the race was....

If you ever saw Rich Fuchlin, Bill Rucker, John Soto, Harry Bartolomei, Walter Huhn, Ron Hill, Dave Nichols and Fred Hauenstein on the same race course with 13 foot DeSilva's with 40 cubic inch Quincy's racing side by side for five laps on a half mile track....You'd know Hauenstein can DRIVE ANYTHING...Don't ever forget this is were Billy Seebold came from also.

Look at DePue stats, Hauenstein has more wins than Seebold.

NOTE: The Arcadian Star http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128

Fred Hauenstein
10-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Ron - some of that is a little over the top! But thanks anyway.

Correction: I was working for OMC at the time of the Alabama incident (August 1978) and "quit" tunnel boats and changed companies in September of 1978. I drove tunnels again only after safety cockpits were in use.

I'll leave the rest for another time.

Jimbo set the Mod 50 record with his little blue Molinari tunnel boat and an OMC engine that was a few evolutionary steps further down the road. Quite an accomplishment. (Nerstrom - comments? I was a Mercury guy by then.)

Wayne: I made a few changes to the 705 Koenig (put on my 48mm carbs, Ron Anderson pipes, my tower, clamps and Eldredge gear case, etc.) so when I show you a picture it won't look too exotic.

Fred

Master Oil Racing Team
01-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Mike----Been waiting for several months for some inside stories on the Hauenstein family racing careers. ;) We didn't have near enough time to cover even a small part of it. How about that story when you and Kate were dating and you took her to see you race the first time?:D

The last time I stopped by Joes in Stafford, he gave me this June 1992 Propeller. This was what was in it that he spotted.

MikeyHauenstein
01-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey Mike----Been waiting for several months for some inside stories on the Hauenstein family racing careers. ;) We didn't have near enough time to cover even a small part of it. How about that story when you and Kate were dating and you took her to see you race the first time?:D

The last time I stopped by Joes in Stafford, he gave me this June 1992 Propeller. This was what was in it that he spotted.

That’s a fine looking photo. I suppose they wouldn’t have used the picture of me with the Bud Girls in Propeller… but I digress. I think I’m wearing an Oshkosh Eagles middle school football T-shirt in the photo. I was the 4’11” WR/KR for that particular team; needless to say I ended up playing soccer when I got to high school (I weigh about twice as much now). A little-known fact: This photo launched the “trucker hat” fad that swept through youth culture at the turn of the millennium.

That Dayton race was the start of a pretty good season. I had some ups and downs in the previous seasons. 1989 was my first full year of racing and I think there was some rule that you couldn’t run the Merc 7.5 J motor at the Stock Nationals. I usually ran Gordie Miller’s former “Lucky Duck” JSH at local races, I think it was a Turner hull; Andy Anderson ran a sister hull at that time. I borrowed equipment from the Schaubs and Hemps to run JSH at the Lawrenceville, PA Nationals and was in position to qualify for the finals after heat one, but unbeknownst to us the boat leaked and I couldn’t get on plane for the second heat of qualifying. Oops. My brother was 15 at the time and ran the 28-W Brain Wave in JSH for the last time that year, but had a disappointing finals experience. You might not want to remind him of that.

The following year I took over running the Brain Wave and qualified for the finals in Wakefield, but an electrical problem relegated me to watching from the infield. More of the same at the 1991 Stock Nationals in Youngstown, OH — this time a weak water pump impeller and a faulty inspection process kept me on the beach for the JSH finals. (And a theme emerges: nothing was my fault.) I did however finish second in JSR that year which buoyed our spirits after a dismal week. We could never get too down, though, because we pitted next to the Palmquists who had a much worse week, a Hall-of-Fame–horrible week.

In May 1992 I set the record at Dayton. I think the Divisionals were in Beloit and I think I won that, and then we went to Wakefield for the combined Stock/MOD Nationals. The Mods ran the first weekend before the Stocks showed up. I ran J MOD for the first time using Doug Schaub’s motor. We had no idea what to expect but saw how fast Brian Trolian was in testing and didn’t get our hopes up too high. Then the race started — apparently we had some fast equipment, won that race and then went out and won JSH, going away, later in the week. Then we went to Yelm, WA in September and I humiliated myself by not figuring out the start clock in the only heat I ended up running in “record” water.

We ended up buying that FA engine from the Schaubs and it has been running strong since; John Palmquist and I have each won the Nationals multiple times with it, in addition to Doug’s accomplishments with the same engine.

I'll get to that fun story about Kate later!

Master Oil Racing Team
01-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Great post Mike.

You're not alone with your clock experience at Yelm. It's always your first heat when everything is perfect and by the time you figure out what the deal is with the clock, It is too late. Of course you never seem to figure it out when you're in the perfect position.;) :cool:

Ron Hill
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Got this E-Mail from Fred Hauenstein, Jr. Lung Cancer.....

Hi Ron:

There will be a memorial service for Don on the Saturday, July 21, in
Seward, AK.

Fred

Master Oil Racing Team
07-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hauenstein's. God rest his soul.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Mike Hauenstein can receive E mails, but right now he can't send them, but this needs to be told.

Yesterday Mike and Kate Hauenstein brought forth another Hauenstein into the world. Carmen Rebecca Hauenstein was born 9 pm and weighed in at 8 lb. 1 oz & was 20 1/4 inches. Mikes says lots of hair. He will post pictures later. Maybe Fred might have some to bring to the reunion. I don't think he still learned to post yet.;) :D

Congrats Kate and Mike.

Ron Hill
08-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I think Danny Hauenstein made history at Moses Lake. In the almost sixty years of Stock Outboard Racing, I don't think anyone has ever won A Hydro and D Hydro at the same Nationals. If this isn't a first, it is still way cool. Congratulations, Danny and Family!!!

Posted this picture somewhere else, but Kingsburg is the Hauenstein HOME ....Old Fred was quite a guy!!!

geodavid
08-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Ron,
You hit it right on. Old Fred was quite a guy. Everyone in the Hauenstein family is very special. Great to see Fred at the reunion. There never was a guy with Fred's class in the history of boat racing. Not because Fred won so many races, but because of how he has always treated others. It was great to see you and hear about your boys. Remember them very well coming to the races with you years ago. Props for their success in racing and in life. Great to hear your Mom is in good health and spirit. Fred, I think she should still be running the cafe. One of the highlights of traveling Highway 99 was stopping at Fred's Cafe. Hear there is a Walgreens there now?
Really enjoyed seeing you at the reunion. Thanks Fred. Thumbs up to you always!

jrome
08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Alan , Fred does have class and it is all high class. It was a pleasure to be with Fred at the reunion and race in DePue. Fred is what boat racing people should all be like and most if not all are great people. All I have to say is what a class act.

Ron Hill
09-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I had some pictures of the Arcadian when it was running. Here you can see the 8 2.4 EFI Mercury Powerheads...

Master Oil Racing Team
08-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Here's a photo of Fred with Billy Seebold. It appeared in the June 1980 Powerboat & Waterskiing in the portion that was part of the Embassy Grand Prix program.

MikeyHauenstein
10-15-2009, 10:56 AM
The Texas arm of Hauenstein Outboard Team is ready to race.

Ron Hill
01-16-2010, 03:50 PM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> From Fred Jr.:

Fred W. Hauenstein
January 3, 1914 – January 1, 2006

Frederick William Hauenstein was born in Denver, Colorado on January 3, 1914, the only child of Frederick and Mary (Kouns) Hauenstein. In 1922 the family settled in the Exeter, California area where Fred, Sr. grew grapes. Fred attended schools in Exeter, graduating from Exeter High School where he was active in all sports and social affairs. He studied divinity and law at the University of Missouri in Columbia, MO, where he was a star on the university track team. (He ran a best of 9.7 seconds in the 100-yard dash!)

Returning to California, he worked on the family farm and, assisted by his father, became interested in outboard powerboat racing in 1939 – a hobby that he passed down to his sons and grandsons. Also through his father, Fred acquired a love of hunting and deep-sea fishing. He spent much time on the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of California.

Raised in an era that saw the rapid development of the automobile, Fred gained a life-long appreciation for cars, both old and new. He collected some great examples of older cars in later years and enjoyed working with them.

Fred married Frances Coffee in 1941 and they have enjoyed 64 years of married life together. They lived in Southern California during WW-II and worked for Lockheed Aircraft in the war effort.

Returning to the San Joaquin Valley, Fred became a Teamster and drove over-the-road trucks, as well as distributing gasoline and diesel fuel with his own tank truck. The couple started a truck stop and opened for business in Kingsburg in 1953. Fred’s Truck Fuels and Café became a successful Kingsburg landmark on Highway 99.

In 1956 Fred returned to his boat racing hobby. In 1957 and 1958 he won the American Power Boat Association national amateur high point championship (the Paul Sawyer Medal).

By the 1960s he was involved in his life-long dream of flying through the sport of soaring. He decided to take up powered flight and eventually owned several airplanes, culminating in a project in which he built his own aerobatic airplane (partly at home, in the dining room!). He became proficient at aerobatics, as well. For a time he did part-time work as a sheriff’s deputy, transporting prisoners by airplane between state and county facilities in California.

Fred was a member of the Quiet Birdmen, the American Power Boat Association, Northern California Outboard Association, the Kingsburg Kiwanis Club, the Rotary Club, the Kingsburg Gun Club, the Horseless Carriage Club of America, the Antique Outboard Motor Club, the Soaring Society of America, the Experimental Aircraft Association and was a charter member of the Kingsburg Golf and Country Club.

Mr. Hauenstein is survived by his wife, Frances; two sons, Fred M. (Linda Scheline) Hauenstein of Oshkosh, WI, Don Hauenstein of Seward, AK and daughter-in-law Kathy Hauenstein of Weatherford, TX; Grandchildren Dan (Kristy) Hauenstein of San Carlos, CA, Mike (Kate) Hauenstein of New Haven, CT, Hilary (Brad) Carpenter of Gilbert, AZ, Raina Hauenstein, USAF, Ira Hauenstein of Seneca, MO, Casandra King of San Luis Obispo, CA, Jack Hauenstein of Seward, AK, and five great grandchildren. He was preceded in death by one son, James F. Hauenstein; and a granddaughter, Melcena Hauenstein.

A memorial service will be held at the Evangelical Covenant Church, 1490 Lincoln Street, Kingsburg, CA, 93631, (corner of Lincoln and Draper) at 10 am Saturday, January 7, 2006.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations in his memory be made to the charity of the donor’s choice.

Interesting History Here!!!

boatmark59
01-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Reading this brings a bunch of Hauenstein stories to mind, and all bring a big grin . . .

About 1982 I had quit driving my E-Production boat (raquet ball to the eye, surgeon said no raceboat for three years) so I was turning wrenches on champ boats from the SunDance Marine shops in Florida. (Nick Cripps, Ted Jones, Mickey Garrett, John Nichols, Randy Gore)

Two days after I had bought my first brand new truck we raced in Stuart Florida. Jimmy borrowed a Hodges we had available and was there with Ken Stevenson. After a lot of broken parts I went back to Lauderdale in the shop truck for more parts. I come back and my new (two day old!) truck is gone. I look around and see it make a u-turn on the highway and pull into the parking lot with Jimmy at the wheel. He wants directions to a party. I inquire about his truck . . . "dunno where it came from, but its full of gas" . . . It's mine Jim. . . He and Kenny exchange looks, and decide that since its my truck, its ok if I come with them to the party. I don't think I ever bought a beer in Jimmy's presence for the rest of his life.

Jimmy and I in a restaurant in Sacramento 1988(?). The waitress wants to know if we want to order wine with dinner. I was a kid. What do I know about red or white goes with what . . . Jimmy looks at me and says "dear boy, never limit yourself . . . why shouldn't we have both! - - - I think about that statement alot to this day.

1983 after the Ironton Ohio IOGP race Ted Jones and I make our first pilgramage to Oshkosh to explore help from Mercury. Fred welcomes us like long lost family. Says he's got to call Linda, we're gonna have brats and beer and just a grand time . . . here's the address. Two Florida boys get in the truck and immediately look at each other . . . what the hell is a brat!? . . . I don't know, but we're gonna have to eat them and smile, whatever they are!
We at ate good food, drank cold beer, and enjoyed classic Hauenstein hospitality.

Best one liner - Linda Hauenstein - St. Louis early eighties. Supposed to race in the Mississippi but weathered out. Large drinkfest ensues at Seebolds house at 9am. Freddy discovers how much fun beer and a trampoline can be.
Linda: "If that drunken fool ends up paralized from this I'm gonna push him in the river on the way out of town" Expressed with love of course.

Like everyone, I miss my friend Jim. Is it just me, or is the thought of Jimmy as this crazy old man hystericaly funny?

Master Oil Racing Team
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Those are some great stories.:D You said "this brings a whole bunch of Hauenstein stories to mind"...but to my way of thinking...four is not a bunch. You do a very good job of telling them...so let's hear some more.

Ron Hill
01-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Jimmy Hauenstein was one of a kind. Words like "Never limit yourself" flowed from his mount daily and often. Looking back, I guess I missed many of these "Saying" as that Hauenstein infectious laugh would cause you to forget what was said.

When Jim was going to Law School at UCLA, he and I frequently attended bars around USC and UCLA. We went to SC games when OJ Simpson played. Jim just seemed to know what was going to happen next in the world. He had majored in International Relations and just had a "NOSE" for the real world.

More stories for sure...

I could see Jimmy, James Findley, sitting in YOUR NEW truck, PROBABLY drinking YOUR BEER, saying you want to go to a party with us???

If I get time, I'll tell about the Halloween party at my girl friend's house in Newport Beach, that Jim and I attended together, about 1967. Then, again, maybe I won't.

I'd like to see Linda Hauenstein get on her and tell her story about her Honeymoon at The Lake Havasu Outboard World Championship when she spent Thanksgiving weekend with RON HILL and 7 of his fraternity brothers.....

Jim's been got since May 1997!

boatmark59
01-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Actually the follow up to the truck story is really about Ken Stevenson. I have no idea about the party we went to, but eventually we split up again (they kept the truck!) For some reason lost to time I was sharing a room with Kenny, and I was asleep before they came back.

The next morning I awake to a really ugly hangover and the ringing phone. Kenny's wife. I look around and there is a half a bottle of Jack on the counter, and the other bed is little rumpled, but no Kenny. As I am trying to stall for time and un-cross my eyes, from that little spot between the second bed and the wall in every hotel room comes some rather graphic noises, and a hand arrises for the phone. I never would have believed someone in that condition could sound that sober on the phone. The call ended, the phone flew back up from the abyss, and Ken went back to sleep. He wasn't driving that day, but he did recover to go out that night.

Kind of one of those you had to be there stories. I believe that was only a few weeks before we lost Ken.

DaveFox
03-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Here are some pics I shot of the Arcadian in San Diego on Saturday after Jim qualified the boat. I was way out on the Fiesta Island side when I shot these. Crappy resolution due to Kodacolor 200 film, lots of grain. The boat looked good and tracked very well. I have more and will post them as I get them reduced to posting size. They are scanned off negatives with an OpticFilm 7600 scanner so they will not get much better. Wish I used Ektachrome instead. They look much better at the full resolution of 3600dpi. Too big to post. That was the first I knew of the boat. I wanted to build it as a 1/8 scale model but it was impossible to fit an 11cc engine in it without laying it sideways.

DaveFox
03-04-2011, 11:16 AM
This is the rest of what I have.

Ron Hill
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Maybe, I should post my thought somewhere else.......But as I drove through Kingsburg, today, March 4, 2011 I thought of the irony of seeing the Arcadian Unlimited of Jimmy Hauenstein being posted on BRF...yesterday.

September 1987, San Diego

The Arcadian Unlimited had 8 2.4 Mercury Outboard Powerheads. Marcel Belleville had build this boat in has garage in Santa Ana, California. I had designed the garage for Marcel when I was going to Orange Coast College, 1962.

When Marcel finished the boat, he called me and asked what I thought would happen if he took one wall out of the building to take the Unlimited out.....I said, "How am I to know?" He said, "You designed it?" I said, "I did?" I had forgotten...

I went to Marcel's and looked the thing over and said, "Hell, I'll bet the building falls down..."

Marcel, got the boat out just fine.

Fidencio Lara, who is building my Sport C cowling had build Al Stoker's MOD VP capsule old and capsules. Marcel had Fidencio build the capsule for this Unlimited.

In my opinion, Marcel was miles ahead of 1987 designs. Today, all Unlimiteds run four points (Small tunnel at the back). Short sponsons and low props shaft angles....

This boat had a few problems at San Diego. Each engine was hooked to the prop shaft with a blower belt and the belief was that when one motor blew the belt would break and that would be that for that motor....What actually happened, is one motor blew and the blower belt didn't break and it kept the blown engine turning til parts and pieces flew all over and around the other seven motors causing them to suck in broken parts and blow themselves up. So, first run 8 BLOWN POWERHEADS.

So, 8 new powerheads were installed, with fine screens over the injection horn and off for a second run. This time, when one motor blew, it cracked the block and drained the water from the other seven powerheads. Second run, 8 more powerheads blown.

Jimmy and crew finally got the boat going fast enough at Lake X to beat Miss Budweiser. So, when Bernie Little got wind of the Arcadians speed, he changed the rules for the turbines. So, Jimmy parked the boat.........at least that is the way I heard the story!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Your self criticism on film choice is unwarranted Dave. We've all done that, but you are more aware of other choices than most. The main thing is that you took the pictures, and from what I can see, you were very accomplished. No picture of a boat race that can be scanned, posted and with captions or history is a bad picture. I think after looking and the last set of detailed photos and pics of certain key parts of Jimmy's boat, and your knowledge of resolution and film grain you are holding out on us.;):D I'll bet you have a lot more fantanstic pics and stories behind them.:cool:

DaveFox
03-04-2011, 09:55 PM
So the Arcadian ate up the good portion of the film I brought with me to San Diego. You know, starving student and everything. I had been actively following the Hydro's since the mid 60's when I first heard them from my grandparents house in Prosser, WA in 1966 which is when I believe the first Atomic Cup was. Now Prosser is 30 miles direct from the East end of the course. Ten years later in 1977 I was taking pictures of Bill Muncey in the Blue Blaster at Mission Bay, on the Fiesta Island side. A young man of 20 just exiting the Navy from the ASW base in San Diego to return home to The Dalles, OR. I want to know where those 34 years went so whomever stole them, I want them back!!!

Fast forward to 1980 and I am at the TriCities watching the same usual suspects, Muncey, Chenowith, and the likes tear up the water 15 years after I first heard them. I was working in an aluminum plant which has been torn down and lived 2 hours from the Columbia Cup. Life happens, the economy goes south in 82. Still managed to make 82 and 84 in the TriCities. Little did I know that I had talked to Bill Muncey for the last time when they drove through on the way to Tricities as his life was cut short in Mexico. Turns out he knew some of the same people I know in town and I had several years where I got to talk to him as they rolled through town.

I started A&P school in 1986 after returning from the LA area after the plant closed in 84. Was about 7 classes away from my final class when a ride to Bayfair 87 shows up. My wife at the time was OK with the trip seeing as how she put my dumba$$ through school for almost 2 years. We arrived on Friday after an excursion through LA while the Pope was visiting and wound up taking one of the streets a block or two over from Watts all the way to the 91 Artesia freeway.

Saturday morning was foggy, and damp and a little windy. That chop is about 9 or 10 inches and it was blowing in under the bridge down the course. As I remember it was like that most of the day. I remember hearing that thing from all the way out by the pits. What a sound for me. I have always appreciated small displacement engines that turn high rpm. This was just like the KZ1000 crotch rockets I rode only it sounded like about 50 of them coming at you. There was one characteristic of that hull that was absent from all the other boats. It just floated around the course. The water was not all that great and it was just cruising around. It is one of the 5 "odd" designs of that era. The Texmo, Aronow, Miss Mercruiser, and the Tempus tunnel.

A friend of mine lived in Houston up until 2 years ago when I flew down to help him move back to Portland. What moron gets on a plane in the middle of July headed for Houston for a drive back to Oregon through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and the California desert. That would be me! He thinks the Texmo is still down around there now. I have been trying to find the Aronow with little luck. Have some pictures of the Tempus tunnel from the 80's for I think 2 years. I have not been able to find anything out about the Miss Mercruiser.

I would think that the rule changes may have been accurate. That would have been just before the APBA took over and the URC was not a stranger to the "Good Ole Boyz" club when it came to protecting turf. There is probably truth to what Jim said.

I think the initial years under the APBA were better than they had been in a long time. The last few years under the APBA were getting worse because it was most likely a financial drain on them. Lots of owners squabbles, sponsor problems, a generally bad economy.

The HydroProp years were abysmal. No real direction or planning for the future, 'nuff said.

The Arcadian is still intact from what I understand. Little is known about it other than what the guys that worked on it know. For the Radio Control guys we have only 2 dimensions, Length 30', Width 12'. I am heading to California to hopefully meet up with Fred Hauenstein on the 19th and get a chance to finish measuring the hull and take some more pictures before it is becomes another statistic.

I ran across a photo of Fred Leland's "Miss Crab legs" that had the huge Packard out of a PT boat sitting someplace up around Monroe WA a few weeks back. Weeds growing up through the holes the crew cut to make vents in the hull. I heard from a fairly reliable person they used a chainsaw to do that.

So the pictures were shot with an Old Canon F-1 and a 70-210 Kiron Lens. Great camera and good glass for the times. A manual camera for somebody who had above average eyesight for the time, that has to throw the newspaper on the floor and read it while standing over it now. Getting older really sucks, next year I will officially be able to order off the Senior's menu! I still wonder how I got that far. I still shoot film, Ektachrome E200 Professional is my weapon of choice with an autofocus EOS A2E, or a digital EOS 7D body.

Life has a strange way of putting you in a place in time to capture and record some totally obscure detail. I did not realize at the time the significance of the next few years in the sport. Each year a few more of the piston driven boats disappeared. The UIM championships during that time produced several hulls that could be called "odd" with the Arcadian being one of them. I think both Fred and Jim did something that was unique and had potential. These negatives have been in storage for 24 years, until I got a wild hair a few weeks ago after throwing in the towel on Nitro racing. Going electric!! What a great hull to do that with!!! I have wanted to build this boat since 1987 in San Diego.

I will get off my soap box, and yes I have more pics from races at the TriCities over the years! Will start a thread with some of those if you like. I have a few of San Diego 77 and a little over half the years in between 80 and 90 in TriCities.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Yeah! Let's have some more pics and stories. That was an interesting read. I know exactly what you mean about reading. I like my digital camera, but I can do more to work with difficult lighting with my old film Nikon's than the digital. I know the digital has some fantastic correction features, but I can't see the controls,:mad: and I haven't read the manual:o, so I just do the basics. Looking forward for more.

ADD: Give my regards to Fred when you see him.

DaveFox
03-05-2011, 04:39 PM
[/QUOTE]
Jimmy and crew finally got the boat going fast enough at Lake X to beat Miss Budweiser. So, when Bernie Little got wind of the Arcadians speed, he changed the rules for the turbines. So, Jimmy parked the boat.........at least that is the way I heard the story![/QUOTE]

I was thinking about this on the way home last night and again on the way in, I have an hour each way to work. Takes me that long to form a line of thoughts, well, maybe just one thought.

When the turbine Atlas came out in 84 and the sanctioning body figured out in the hands of a competent designer, turbine power was a viable alternative to the dwindling pool of Merlin's and Alison's. Not to menttion the fact that the Air race guys thought we were a bunch of cowboys for putting "big windows" in the side of the blocks. Irrate was the term I heard used. If Troy McIntire were still alive he could tell me exactly who it was that proposed the weight restrictions and what the weight was on the turbine franchise owners. Bernie, Fran Muncie to name the 2 early ones. If anyone knows please feel free to correct me, and by the way they had scales on the spreader bars when they lifted the boats. I saw them used each qualifiying day, and at the beginning of race day.

I think the original number was 6200 pounds, may have been 6500 and that was supposed to give the 85 Bubble Bud Griffon boat a more equal shot. Seems to me it weighed in at 8500 pounds or something close to it, may have been more. The 79 boat weighed almost 7500 if I remember right. Griffons are huge, and heavy. Also note that the Atlas camp was using both T55-L7 & L11 versions, 2750 and almost 4000SHP respectively. They called the L11 "Big Wally" and they were scattering the hot sections on those, thinkin' they were above rated power on them, A BUNCH!! So 85 was a year of dummyin' down the turbines with weight restrictions. 86 was the first year I saw the scales personally. I am missing a few rolls of film because I actually got the weight on the 86 Turbine Bud from about 4 boats down the pits. I think it was 6200. In 1987 I think it was still close to 6000. In 1988 I think it was around either 5300 or 5700 for the turbines. This could all be coincidence though... The APBA took over the Unlimiteds not long after that but I do not recall when.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-05-2011, 09:13 PM
This is some good stuff Dave....keep it up!:cool:

DaveFox
03-05-2011, 09:55 PM
So I started a thread over on Inboard Hydro for the Unlimited stuff called Unlimited Pics. I have a couple of teasers there. Sorry just an 18' Hondo Pickle and a mandatory car shot. I will start posting pics there in a couple weeks, after I get back from California. If I get a few minutes this next week I will post some. When I return I will post whatever I can get of the Arcadian.

DaveFox
03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Mark and I returned from Yucca Valley by way of Kingsburg on Saturday. Took over 4 hours to get to the Oregon border from Redding as there was snow at Lake Shasta up past Weed a little bit. I had chains but it just sucked having to put them on. I met Mike, Fred, John a close family friend(his last name escapes me, that old thing again), and Mikes father in law.

It was a blast to hear about the family, and a brief conversation with Mike that involves ill fitting cushions for him and an Armor-All coverd seat on a Ninja ZX11 I owned about 10 years ago. Something about not being able to release the throttle while your legs are stuffed in the back of the hull or your A$$ is sliding off the back of the seat and feet off the foot pegs. It was comical to share those kinds of stories that one would normally be a little gaurded with! We heard a little about Jim, and learned that Don was an accomplished aircraft mechanic up in Alaska, and that John is totally able to get away with things with Fred's mom that Fred would never dream of getting away with! We all laughed about that as I can identify with that in my family.

The boat is sadly collecting dust and there appear to be a bunch of Black widow webs all over the bottom, with me running my hand underneath it to see where the air trap was. My dull tack never got put in the package. During the time in the storage building my buddy Mark and Fred were talking about airplanes and seems that Fred learned how to fly the Piper Colt that his dad owned. That was as we found out someone broke into the building and stolen the brass radiators out of a couple of cars earlier this year, they did not get to the forklift, looks to me like you just about have to remove he counterweight for that. I am thinking a valiant effort could have yielded a 2011 Darwin Award had they loosened the bolts and let it fall on them. A fitting end to a parasite, not much for people that steal from the rest of us that work for it. Missed the nomination for this years awards.

On the way down to Yucca we were talking about them and he had said that most boat guys were usually involved with planes also. Turns out Fred is more than an engineer, he also knows which way is up, which helps in flying! For those of you that have never had the chance to meet Fred or his kids you will likely find them to be a very approachable bunch. John was an absolute character from the beginning, I can see why he fits in the family the way he does. While I has crawling around on the boat I never noticed the Arcadian Racing Team logo on the front of the cowl.

Thanks again for lunch Fred, and when you get up around here next time if you are around for one of our races you can drive the Arcadian model, I promise that you will not have to work up through all the classes or "qualify" to compete with it. The URC does not run our program, neither does HydroProp! Next time the food is on me.

boatmark59
06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey Ron (or Freddy, or Mikey!)

I was daydreaming down the interstate yesterday when a bright orange Kenworth passed me by, and I got to thinking about Jimmy. It occured to me that I have never heard the story of how Jimmy the law student evolved into Jimmy the trucking company owner.

I must have first met Jimmy (and Fred) about 1980, but never heard the story. I am guessing it would be both interesting and funny, and many others would love to hear it.

(and for the record, I would pay good money for an afternoon tour of Jimmy's old garage - - - - - all that history in one place!)

Ron Hill
07-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Before I could ever tell "MY STORY" of how Jimmy aka Fat Jimmy, whose Rocket never made the moon in 8th grade...(Everybody's rocket made it to the moon, except Fat Jimmy's, his rocket fell over because it never moved)...Every parent in Kingsburg knew whose rocket didn't make it to the moon....Jimmy was always the "STAR"...

I'm afraid I'll have to out live Freddy Hauenstein and his mother Francis before I ever tell "MY STORY" of how Jimmy went from LAWYER to TRUCKING MAGNATE, AKA Arcadian Trucking.

I could tell the story of why Old Fred's airplane was in Ed Kurakowa's barn......but don't want Freddy getting "RILED" over "TAIL FEATHERS"...

The real story is why the Arcadian 8 Engine boat didn't really get a good chance to dominate Unlimited Hydro Racing.

Now that OLD FRED is gone, I guess Freddy could admit to the world that it wasn't his brother Donny, who bent the trailer frame......46 years ago....Freddy still has the trailer and the frame is still bent, I think!

Jimmy and I were really good friends........His birthday is Monday, July 11. He would have 67, just like me. He's been gone14 years.

This Chad's boat at Bay City, two weeks after Jimmy's death. We finished the season, because we'd made commitments, but I retired Chad at the end of the season. You can't really see the word ARCADIAN.....but it is on the boat.

boatmark59
07-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Oooh, now I'm even more intrigued. Call Freddy and have him write the "family" version, then you can write the "two buddies and a case of beer" version. I would imagine comparing them will add to the humor.

On behalf of the general population of BRF, we promise (hand in the air, "I, state your name") not to tell Mrs. Hauenstein about anything written here. ;-)

racnbns
07-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Must be your eyes Ron---ARCADIAN is on the side of the sponson rite behind CHAD HILL PROPELLERS.

Bruce

Ron Hill
07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I knew Arcadian was on there but on the shop computer I couldn't see it....Chad was 19 then, he'll be 34 this August...

Probably should tell at least one Jimmy Hauenstein Story, for his birthday on the 11th....I won't tell how he got stabbed or how he wrecked the Marcell Hydro (The one with the V-4 Evinrude on it)...Or how he had the tow truck drivers keep an eye out for OLD FRED...Those stories will have to wait...

Ron Hill
07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I was at a Bakersfield race once, and Jim was there with his old white pick up truck, and a Marcel C Hydro on the trailer.....Looked like a lot of stuff in the back of the truck so I started looking at it: There was a nice stereo, great speakers, a nice bicycle, bowling ball, golf clubs, maybe a surf board...snow skis for sure, bar-b-que....motorcycle, cooler....and a couple of suit cases.

I said to Jim, where you going on vacation? He said, "I'm starting law school next week at USC.....I need this stuff." I always laugh about it...No books, but Jimmy did graduate law school, did pass the bar and did practice law for a few months...maybe longer.....

One year at the Needles Marathon I talked Jimmy into borrowing Johnny Carnakis's DeSilva runabout and I loaned him a motor....Damn thing ran good actually, just before the finish line the Keller clamp loosened up on the steering and Jimmy flipped. He drifted down current across the finish line for a second.....Like being second to me in the Needle Marathon was like winning. The next year the city of Needles fenced in their golf course.

Great weekend, we had a deep pit pig bar-b-que at Griswold's river house, rode the Farris wheel at the carnival....drank some beers...

If Jim was alive today, I'd find him and MAKE him drink some beers with me! And wish him HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

ADD:

When Jim was going to law school he loved to come to my dad's house. My dad had a big refrigerator in the patio and it ALWAYS had cold beer in it. Jim liked stopping by, but he liked stopping by more when dad wasn't there....then, he could drink ALL the beer....

Ron Hill
06-17-2012, 05:59 PM
The mother of Fred, Jim and Don Hauenstein died Wednesday evening June13, 2012. She was 94. There will be a memorial service for her on June 29 at 10:30 A.M. in Kingsburg, California (Evangelical Covenant Church).

Rest in Peace, Frances.

Ron Hill
06-25-2012, 09:59 AM
FRANCES C. HAUENSTEIN

February 13, 1918 – June 13, 2012

Frances Coffee Hauenstein was born to Ira and Ethel Coffee in Clayton, New Mexico, on February 13, 1918. Her family moved to Ivanhoe, California, when she was 8 years of age. She attended schools in Visalia and worked hard to help support herself and her family. She graduated from Fresno State with a teaching degree and a minor in physical education. She was an excellent athlete and eventually met and married Fred W. Hauenstein, who was captain of the University of Missouri track team.

Fred and Frances married in 1941 and enjoyed 64 years together before Fred’s death in 2006. The two of them began married life working at Lockheed Aircraft in Southern California during World War II. They returned to the San Joaquin Valley where Frances raised their sons Freddie, Jimmie, and Donnie while Fred drove trucks. In 1953 the couple opened a truck stop in Kingsburg where Frances fueled trucks while her husband continued driving to augment their finances. In 1954 they built a larger fuel station in Kingsburg and then opened a café on the site. Fred’s Truck Fuels and Café was a successful Kingsburg landmark on Highway 99 for four decades. Frances managed the café and many to this day remember the great chiliburgers she served.

As Fred and Frances succeeded, their willingness to help others became well-known. They gave freely of their resources, friendship, support and advice to stranded travelers, truckers and local residents alike. Her love of Kingsburg showed through her service as president of the Chamber of Commerce, the Senior Center and the Kingsburg Hospital Auxiliary. She was an active member of the Kingsburg Gun Club, the Northern California Outboard Association, the Kingsburg Evangelical Covenant Church, and tutored young readers after school.

Frances was well known in American Power Boat Association racing circles as a strong advocate for her husband and sons (and grandsons) as well as being the best and most prolific sandwich maker in the pits. Many a racer or mechanic would have gone hungry without her “tailgate deli.”

Frances was preceded in death by her husband Frederick W. Hauenstein, sons James F. and Donald E. Hauenstein, brother Findley Coffee, sister Lola Christie and one granddaughter, Melcena Hauenstein.

She is survived by her son Frederick M. (Linda) Hauenstein, Oshkosh, WI; her daughter-in-law Kathy Hauenstein, Santa Inez, CA; grandchildren Dan (Kristy) Hauenstein, San Carlos, CA; Mike (Kate) Hauenstein, Cedar Park, TX; Hilary (Brad) Carpenter, Gilbert, AZ; Raina Hauenstein, Oronogo, MO; Ira (Amanda) Hauenstein, Anchorage, AK; and Jack Hauenstein, Albemarle, NC. She is further survived by ten great-grandchildren, a sister Donna Symons, and her special friend and caregiver, Lupe Mendez.

A memorial service will be held on Friday, June 29th at 10:30 AM at the Kingsburg Evangelical Covenant Church, 1490 Lincoln St, Kingsburg, CA. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a charity of the donor’s choice

Ron Hill
07-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks to Cathy McConnell for the picture.

I ran into a guy, driving truck now, he told me he once was at Fred's Cafe, and was broke. Old Fred, gave him a chilli size, a tank of gas and ten dollars. Humble people, the Hauenstein's, but great Americans.

Great picture, Cathy, of three great people.

jackie wilson
11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks to Cathy McConnell for the picture.

I ran into a guy, driving truck now, he told me he once was at Fred's Cafe, and was broke. Old Fred, gave him a chilli size, a tank of gas and ten dollars. Humble people, the Hauenstein's, but great Americans.

Great picture, Cathy, of three great people.

Sometime in the early seventies, my two youngest daughters, Sam and Kim went with Frances Hauenstein in a massive RV all the way up the California Coast to Oregon.
They came back with stories of how she had thrown that thing all the way up the coast road to Seattle and back again?
That's the kind of folk they were,my kids still remember with love and affection Frances Hauenstein.

Ron Hill
11-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Sometime in the early seventies, my two youngest daughters, Sam and Kim went with Frances Hauenstein in a massive RV all the way up the California Coast to Oregon.
They came back with stories of how she had thrown that thing all the way up the coast road to Seattle and back again?
That's the kind of folk they were,my kids still remember with love and affection Frances Hauenstein.

Truly great people do great things without wanting anything. I really know very little about the Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hauenstein Family except for boat racing. But I do know that they own homes around Kingsburg that were "DONATED" to drug Rehab houses.

I have always "OVER DONE" when something is free, especially if alcohol was involved. I can't recall the number of times I raced when Francis Hauenstein had FREE food for the boat racers.

Ron Hill
11-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Jim Hauenstein and I were really very good friends. He had the "HAUENSTEIN LAUGH" and the "Hauenstein Brain". Jim was a bad influence on me as he caused me to go to bars and drink. Jimmy was either going to SC (University fo Southern California) or going to UCLA Law School. I don't recall, but I was teaching school, but on the weekends I'd "Meet Up" was "FAT JIMMY" as I called him, he called me "Fat Ronnie".

Fred Miller had driven OMC's 20 foot DeSilva at the Parker 9 Hour in March of 1967, but blew the bottom out on the first lap. OMC had paid for the boat, but didn't want it. So, I hung out at DeSilva's and we repaired the boat. I convinced OMC to send me two new X-115 Evinrudes to run on this DeSilva to run local races. I did win a local Havasu race and a local Bullhead City race. But when summer came I headed back "EAST" to race.

Jimmy Hauenstein and his brother Donny headed back "EAST" in June, also. We were headed for Valleyfield fo the John Ward, 500 CC World Championships. As it turned out, Jimmy and I basically saw each other from about June 15 til August 5th. I'd say about 6 weeks. We had always been friends but Jim was like a "MENTOR" as he knew so much about international relations (His college major) and just life in general. We drank beer, chased women, went to boat races and "KICKED IT" .

After DePue, in August, Jimmy went home, I went on to the Chicago to Milwaukee to Chicago marathon, then to canton, Ohio to the OPC National, then to Essex, Maryland for the Stock Nationals...then to the Hudson River Marathon.

When I finally got home, I went back to work, with a draft notice.....pending. Jack Leek called and asked, "How fast was that 20 foot DeSilva?" I said , "74 MPH." He said, "Do you want to run it at Havasu?" I said, "HELL NO!!! I want my 17 foot Glastron that I won the Chicago to Milwaukee Race with. Jack said, "Well, I'f flying to California with my KELLER (Keller Speedometer) and I want to go testing at Elsinore to test the DeSilva.

Jack flew in and my dad and I went to pick him up at LAX. Th first thing Jack said was, "Let' go have Mexican food." We picked Jack up at his hotel the next morning and headed for Elsinore. Jack said, "Do you know a good D Hydro driver that could drive a Single for us at Havasu?" My dad and I just looked at Jack and said, "JIMBO." He said, "Call him and tell him to meet me at Havasu, Wednesday before Havasu."

Ron Hill
11-20-2013, 09:59 PM
I ran the DeSilva at 74 MPH on my Keller. Jack out his Keller in the boat and he drove it. I said he saw 74 MPH, maybe 75. I said, "MY Glastron goes 67 MPH and I want to run it at Havasu. Jack wasn't happy with my decision. On the way back to my dad's house and on to LAX, I kept telling Jack that "Freddy Hauenstein, his dadn and brother, Jim, had been at Parker in the spring and that Freddy was a great driver, why don't you have Freddy drive the DeSilva and I can drive the Glastron.

Just as Jack was getting out of the car at LAX, he said, "Call Freddy and have him drive the DeSilva."

My "OLD MAN" wasn't sure why I'd drive a 67 MPH boat when I could run a 74 MPH boat. Havasu was about a month away and my dad worked on the DeSilva daily, getting it ready for Freddy.

When Thanksgiving weekend rolled around, it was decided that Jimmy would ride out with me and my dad with the DeSilva. Well, Jimmy and I weren't too "JIGGY" going to Havasu for four days with my mom and dad. So we told my dad we'd take Jimmy truck and follow them.

In those days, I dated a bar tender whose dad owned Mandel Shoes. She seemed to liek me and the drinks were always free. So, Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Thursday, Jimmy and I went to "THE BAR" near SC (Where jimmy had actually been stabbed one time)....and had too much to drink, but the price was right.

Thursday morning my dad had us up a 7:00 A.M., though I wasn't to meet Jack Leek until Friday. So, we head out about 7:30 and had for my uncle's in San Bernardino. My uncle, in a "Festive Mood" offered us WHISKEY and sardines, it was 8;45 A.M. But it was Thanksgiving. After a few sardines.....and whiskies we head out for Havasu.

My dad is leading pulling the 20 foot DeSilva and Jimmy and I are following. Between free drinks the night before and whiskey for breakfast, I'm hoping for a good "NAP".....We are just getting to the desert, about 50 miles from my uncle's, we start seeing wheel nuts fly off. The trailer tire and wheel come off and pass up my OLD MAN.

Jimmy is out in the street finding some lug nuts, we get the wheel back on by hammering the nuts on the threads, but the wheel is back on and we are "COOL".

We get about 50 miles from Amboy and there is a car was smoke pouring out of it, so we stop to help the guy. We get the fire out and tell him we are leaving.....as my dad pulls back on the road, he runs over some cactus and blows the tire out on the trailer.

We have a "HELL OF A TIME" getting the wheel off because the thread are so screwed up for the wheel coming off, but we get it. The "OLD MAN" and jimmy say they'll go get a new tire in Amboy and I was to try to get the treads "Smoothed Out"...I pull a lug nut off the good tire and try to clean the threads. I have by now a 200 PROOF HANG OVER....Jimmy and my dad are gone about two hours, but they come back with a "PATCHED" tire. And we get the tire on.

We finally pull in to Havasu, dark, tired, hung over. We check into the Havasu city Hotel. Then, we head for "Crazy Ed's" the old bar in Havasu at the time. Jimmy and I notice we have a big room at the Hotel. I say, "Great I have some of my fraternity brother coming to stay with us."

We drink a few beers with Ray Nydahl, Mouse, Mac McDonald, maybe Bruce Summers and enjoy the evening.

The next day, several of my "FRAT BROS" show up and I tell them, we have the "COOL" hotel room. Freddy and his wife fly in and without me knowing it, are in my room.

Also, I don't know it, but this is Freddy and Linda's "HONEY MOON".....Linda still laughs about it, she says, "I spent my Honey Moon with Ron Hill and his Fraternity Brothers at Havasu...in the same hotel room". Little did I know that Jack Leek had booked Freddy and me in the same room.

The 1967 Havasu Outboard World Championship at Havasu was not sanctioned by UIM. My brother talked Bob McCullough about applying for a UIM World Championship. My brother was Region 12 Chairman of APBA. it wasn't until 1968 that Havsu became a UIM World Championships.

The race started with 126 boat crossing the starting line. About 30 minutes in, Ted may's Switzer Wing sank. About 45 minutes in to the 4 hours fo the two tday 8 hour race, my Glastron blew a hole in the side and bottom. I pulled into the pits figuring I was "DONE"....Ted May jumped into the boat and said, "It just has a hole in the side.....If it fils with wat just go wide and let it drain."

I went back out and rove for the first four hours with my Ray Nydahl motors and ended up one lap ahead. Jimbo, with a Ray Nydahl motor was leading the Single engine class. I won the Tin Engone class, Jimbo and Ted Msay won the Single engine class.

Fred had been in the pits and out of the its all day. No one could figure why the DeSilva wasn't running better. Freddy, 20 years later admitted, the waves from 126 boats were crazy and the DeSilva didn't handle that well...He said, I'd go run about two laps, and come in, ready to quit...Everyone would say, what is wrong??? and send me out again."

Ron Hill
11-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Four hours is a long time to drive a race boat, especially when there are 125 other boats on a four mile course. Sunday morning, Jimmy Jost came up to me and said, "The only boat to worry about is the Triple Rayson Craft of Rudy Ramos. They are one lap behind you. Sunday's race was easier than Saturday's as many had dropped out but he wind did come up.

Officially Mike Reagan, the governor's son, Bill Cooper and Rudy Ramos won the 1967 Havasu World Outboard Championships. But, but cause their were not protests allowed, the 1968 Havasu Wold Championships was run under UIM sanction.

This race wasn't the end of Fred Hauenstein's racing. Freddy and I drove together at the 1968 Parker 9 Hours and the 1969 9 Hour. We were the first outboard to ever lead the Parker 9 Hour.

FYI: Jim Hauenstein, "Gentleman Jim" was sponsoring my son, Chad Hill, in PROP T.O.U.R. Formula One Powerboats when Jim was killed, June 1, 1997 in a racing accident in Washington, North Carolina. I miss my friend, "FAT JIMMY" Hauenstein.

racnbns
11-21-2013, 06:55 PM
I ran the DeSilva at 74 MPH on my Keller. Jack out his Keller in the boat and he drove it. I said he saw 74 MPH, maybe 75. I said, "MY Glastron goes 67 MPH and I want to run it at Havasu. Jack wasn't happy with my decision. On the way back to my dad's house and on to LAX, I kept telling Jack that "Freddy Hauenstein, his dadn and brother, Jim, had been at Parker in the spring and that Freddy was a great driver, why don't you have Freddy drive the DeSilva and I can drive the Glastron.

Just as Jack was getting out of the car at LAX, he said, "Call Freddy and have him drive the DeSilva."

My "OLD MAN" wasn't sure why I'd drive a 67 MPH boat when I could run a 74 MPH boat. Havasu was about a month away and my dad worked on the DeSilva daily, getting it ready for Freddy.

When Thanksgiving weekend rolled around, it was decided that Jimmy would ride out with me and my dad with the DeSilva. Well, Jimmy and I weren't too "JIGGY" going to Havasu for four days with my mom and dad. So we told my dad we'd take Jimmy truck and follow them.

In those days, I dated a bar tender whose dad owned Mandel Shoes. She seemed to liek me and the drinks were always free. So, Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Thursday, Jimmy and I went to "THE BAR" near SC (Where jimmy had actually been stabbed one time)....and had too much to drink, but the price was right.

Thursday morning my dad had us up a 7:00 A.M., though I wasn't to meet Jack Leek until Friday. So, we head out about 7:30 and had for my uncle's in San Bernardino. My uncle, in a "Festive Mood" offered us WHISKEY and sardines, it was 8;45 A.M. But it was Thanksgiving. After a few sardines.....and whiskies we head out for Havasu.

My dad is leading pulling the 20 foot DeSilva and Jimmy and I are following. Between free drinks the night before and whiskey for breakfast, I'm hoping for a good "NAP".....We are just getting to the desert, about 50 miles from my uncle's, we start seeing wheel nuts fly off. The trailer tire and wheel come off and pass up my OLD MAN.

Jimmy is out in the street finding some lug nuts, we get the wheel back on by hammering the nuts on the threads, but the wheel is back on and we are "COOL".

We get about 50 miles from Amboy and there is a car was smoke pouring out of it, so we stop to help the guy. We get the fire out and tell him we are leaving.....as my dad pulls back on the road, he runs over some cactus and blows the tire out on the trailer.

We have a "HELL OF A TIME" getting the wheel off because the thread are so screwed up for the wheel coming off, but we get it. The "OLD MAN" and jimmy say they'll go get a new tire in Amboy and I was to try to get the treads "Smoothed Out"...I pull a lug nut off the good tire and try to clean the threads. I have by now a 200 PROOF HANG OVER....Jimmy and my dad are gone about two hours, but they come back with a "PATCHED" tire. And we get the tire on.

We finally pull in to Havasu, dark, tired, hung over. We check into the Havasu city Hotel. Then, we head for "Crazy Ed's" the old bar in Havasu at the time. Jimmy and I notice we have a big room at the Hotel. I say, "Great I have some of my fraternity brother coming to stay with us."

We drink a few beers with Ray Nydahl, Mouse, Mac McDonald, maybe Bruce Summers and enjoy the evening.

The next day, several of my "FRAT BROS" show up and I tell them, we have the "COOL" hotel room. Freddy and his wife fly in and without me knowing it, are in my room.

Also, I don't know it, but this is Freddy and Linda's "HONEY MOON".....Linda still laughs about it, she says, "I spent my Honey Moon with Ron Hill and his Fraternity Brothers at Havasu...in the same hotel room". Little did I know that Jack Leek had booked Freddy and me in the same room.

The 1967 Havasu Outboard World Championship at Havasu was not sanctioned by UIM. My brother talked Bob McCullough about applying for a UIM World Championship. My brother was Region 12 Chairman of APBA. it wasn't until 1968 that Havsu became a UIM World Championships.

The race started with 126 boat crossing the starting line. About 30 minutes in, Ted may's Switzer Wing sank. About 45 minutes in to the 4 hours fo the two tday 8 hour race, my Glastron blew a hole in the side and bottom. I pulled into the pits figuring I was "DONE"....Ted May jumped into the boat and said, "It just has a hole in the side.....If it fils with wat just go wide and let it drain."

I went back out and rove for the first four hours with my Ray Nydahl motors and ended up one lap ahead. Jimbo, with a Ray Nydahl motor was leading the Single engine class. I won the Tin Engone class, Jimbo and Ted Msay won the Single engine class.

Fred had been in the pits and out of the its all day. No one could figure why the DeSilva wasn't running better. Freddy, 20 years later admitted, the waves from 126 boats were crazy and the DeSilva didn't handle that well...He said, I'd go run about two laps, and come in, ready to quit...Everyone would say, what is wrong??? and send me out again."

CRAZY ED'S
The first place I ever saw PEANUT SHELLS 2 inch's deep on the floor.

Ray Nydahl trying to backflip his chair every time a waitress passed behind him.

The best steak in town.

Bruce

Smokin' Joe
11-21-2013, 08:01 PM

I've never seen a 20' DeSilva. How about a picture?

Ron Hill
11-21-2013, 10:13 PM
CRAZY ED'S
The first place I ever saw PEANUT SHELLS 2 inch's deep on the floor.

Ray Nydahl trying to backflip his chair every time a waitress passed behind him.

The best steak in town.

Bruce

Funny that you say that about the steaks, and I did think you were their, Bruce. Anyway, I have two theories about Arizona steaks...well maybe more than two: 1. Food alwasy tastes better when you are away from home 2. Mesquite bar-b-qued steaks are amazing.

Another Jimmy Hauenstein story: When Jimmy wasn't racing the 9 Hour, he, my dad and the "NEEDLES PLAYBOY" Olin Griswold would drink beer for 9 hours. Jimmy would go and get six beers and spit them up....When the beer was gone, he'd go to my dad and say, "Russ, it is your turn to buy beers." So, my dad would give Jimmy $20 bucks.

At the end of the day, my dad would ask Jimmy how many beers he bought. Jimmy would say, "I bought them all." Jimmy didn't lie....He just used my dad's money!

JIMMY AND MY DAD GOT ALONG FINE. One year, there were broken Evinrudes all over the pits, and my buddy from Needles, Olin, says to no one in particular, "I think Evinrude should stick to fishing.".

Smokin' Joe
11-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Funny that you say that about the steaks, and I did think you were their, Bruce. Anyway, I have two theories about Arizona steaks...well maybe more than two: 1. Food alwasy tastes better when you are away from home 2. Mesquite bar-b-qued steaks are amazing.

Another Jimmy Hauenstein story: When Jimmy wasn't racing the 9 Hour, he, my dad and the "NEEDLES PLAYBOY" Olin Griswold would drink beer for 9 hours. Jimmy would go and get six beers and spit them up....When the beer was gone, he'd go to my dad and say, "Russ, it is your turn to buy beers." So, my dad would give Jimmy $20 bucks.

At the end of the day, my dad would ask Jimmy how many beers he bought. Jimmy would say, "I bought them all." Jimmy didn't lie....He just used my dad's money!

JIMMY AND MY DAD GOT ALONG FINE. One year, there were broken Evinrudes all over the pits, and my buddy from Needles, Olin, says to no one in particular, "I think Evinrude should stick to fishing.".

From 1956-59 in OPC Evinrude had no choice but to stick to fishing!

Danny Pigott
07-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I saw Fred at the Pro Nat's / Mod North Am. Champ. in Kingston tn this past weekend we had a long talk . Fred is running DMH and does well.

Ron Hill
03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Fred just got back from Monaco, he had been at a UIM meeting. He drove down from Kingsburg, I sold him some "TOP SECRET" parts.

After Fred left, it dawned on me, I've basically known Fred all my life. (73 years, his dad raced against my dad). I got Fred his first ride in OPC, 1967, I got him his job at OMC. I got him his job at Mercury. But all through those many years, Fred was a "TRUE" RACER. LIKE I reminded him, I may have gotten him the job at Mercury, but he kept it for 31 years.

We didn't talk about his brother, Jim, today. But I'm sure he was thinking about him, as was I, this June 1, 2017 will be 20 years ago that Jim was killed in Formula One tunnel boat racing.

I think Fred enjoyed his day at Hill Marine and Signature Propellers, I know I did.

racingfan1
03-11-2017, 06:37 AM
I came across this in the January 2005 edition of Propeller i just received and thought I would add it to this thread.