PDA

View Full Version : RAS and Mama... R. Allen Smith

Ron Hill
08-24-2005, 08:12 AM
The greatest prop man of all time. R. Allen Smith. Rusty Rae's book about RAS is on the Seattle Outboard web page....

Pop Smith and I were great friends from about 1962 until his death....As HB Berghauer (Old Man Berghauer)...said, "You never send a Smith wheel back, you keep it, someday, you'll need it."

No one, in my opinion, ever put more love into a prop....

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23&page=4&pp=10

ADD: RAS and Mama is the way he signed every note, which he sent a note with every prop....

BBaron
02-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Isn't that Benny Aylor standing there looking at him?

jrome
02-18-2006, 02:48 PM
You are right that is Benny Aylor.

Ron Hill
03-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I didn't go to Dayton, 1979, but the program was dedicated to R. Allen Smith.

Rusty Rae was the editor, JoAnne Ellis was the Director of Advertising with help from Mrs. Jo Fruge

Poppa Smith sent me a copy, which he autographed...I should have kept all his letters, but didn't. We were very good friends.

At Dayton, 1974, I said something like I need to be getting home as I have to send Pop Smith some props... JoAnne Ellis Said, "Ron, if you are in the propeller business, why do you send wheels to Smith?"

I said, "Simple Pop and I are partners...He made the blanks, I made the molds and I SELL him castings. I use the casting too..."... I had welded two blades together to make threes, and Pop like those blanks.

nycea1217
10-17-2007, 08:10 PM
This Is Benny's youngest daughter - and yes that is my Daddy

geodavid
10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
I raced with your Dad too. I sure remember your Mom, Dad and Grandpa. Buddy was the referee when racing was big in TX.
How come they were not at the reunion? Also hear that you no longer live in BT. Benny was the topic of many of our thoughts in DePue. We were talking about what Al Davis used to call him. Annointed the funniest man in boat racing...Al Davis. Wish he would get the Raiders going again.
Best wishes to Benny, Nycea and you too Baby Nycea. And PLEASE, do not tell me how old you are. I asked Krissy about your family in an e-mail. She told me that she married an old guy...about my age. Does that girl know how to rip a guy or what?
A wonderful man with a great sense of humor, RAS. Another guy who loved to tease me. Ron, everyone agrees that he was the best prop man of all time. Just talking to John Lawrence about him the other day. Will have to get a copy of Rusty's book.

fred tyson
10-20-2007, 06:37 AM
How about this? Benny Aylor who is a great friend built 2 Hydros for me too many seasons ago, a 350 Hydro and 500 hydro the 350 was acombo of his and Denny Hendersons design , Super Fast and stable- the 500 , Well should have had it at Ackworh in stead of the Butts that got demolished in an almost fatal crash,Nycea, well lets say (she left with 2 tires spinning and always returned with 4 sliding)--Great people and a loss to the sport with Benny retired

Master Oil Racing Team
10-20-2007, 06:57 AM
When I saw a new member Nycea I knew it had to be an Aylor. What fine times we had racing with the Aylors. Then when Buddy retired from racing he did a great job as referee. Benny was one of the pioneers of bringing Yamato to the forefront of alky racing. It was great to see Benny and your Mom at the Lone Star Reunion a couple of years ago Nycea. Be sure to tell them hi and to turn on their computer and take a look at this stuff.:D