PDA

View Full Version : 55.1 mph with 30 hp mercury

tyst67
05-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I finally broke 55 mph in my racing flat bottom. I bought a mercury chopper 2 18 p and this prop is amazing. I know you guys think i might be crazy but my motor is to low in the water for running a chopper. My prop shaft is 2 and a half inches below the bottom of the boat and i still have some rpms to play with before i hit my rev limiter. How much more speed can i expect if i continue to raise my motor??

chris3298
05-11-2012, 07:11 PM
How long is your boat?

zul8tr
05-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Need these to estimate what you presently are doing

lower unit gear ratio
rpm with present prop

As far as what you can gain by raising the engine is a guess at best because many things come into play. Generally if the set up right you will pick up speed with raising the engine due to less drag. Only testing will tell. Pay close attention to cooling, slip in turns, rpm, handeling, speed at porposing.

There are other things to consider for greater speed besides raising the engine like trim angle, setback, weight distribution, etc.

Be safe wear a good life jacket and helmet if you presently do not.:eek:

Mark75H
05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Need these to estimate what you presently are doing

lower unit gear ratio
rpm with present prop

As far as what you can gain by raising the engine is a guess at best because many things come into play. Generally if the set up right you will pick up speed with raising the engine due to less drag. Only testing will tell. Pay close attention to cooling, slip in turns, rpm, handeling, speed at porposing.

There are other things to consider for greater speed besides raising the engine like trim angle, setback, weight distribution, etc.

Be safe wear a good life jacket and helmet if you presently do not.:eek:

Agree. Each of these things are important details that must be paid attention to.

tyst67
05-12-2012, 06:54 PM
I know all these factors are important. Hitting 55 mph with a 30hp is super hard and ive been tuning it now for 4 years to get where i am now. My gear ratio is a 2:1 and Ive tried 2 different tiny tachs and cant get them to work for my rpms. I do know its screaming for a 30 hp twin mercury sea pro.(with a single carb)I understand all the different factors about boat trim and weight and setup but im not real sure what motor setback does. From what i understand more setback will give you more bow lift which would cause less boat surface in the water = less slippage = more speed. But I dont have any boat touching the water now so that really wouldnt do me any good to add more setback. oh yeah my boat is 14 feet long and 48 inches wide

Jimboat
05-13-2012, 05:50 AM
I finally broke 55 mph in my racing flat bottom. How much more speed can i expect if i continue to raise my motor??

1. what is your rpm currently, vs. max rpm of engine?
2. can you send me a picture of your hull running at current top speed?

zul8tr
05-13-2012, 07:20 AM
I know all these factors are important. Hitting 55 mph with a 30hp is super hard and ive been tuning it now for 4 years to get where i am now. My gear ratio is a 2:1 and Ive tried 2 different tiny tachs and cant get them to work for my rpms. I do know its screaming for a 30 hp twin mercury sea pro.(with a single carb)I understand all the different factors about boat trim and weight and setup but im not real sure what motor setback does. From what i understand more setback will give you more bow lift which would cause less boat surface in the water = less slippage = more speed. But I dont have any boat touching the water now so that really wouldnt do me any good to add more setback. oh yeah my boat is 14 feet long and 48 inches wide

That would be interesting to see a pic of your boat running without touching the water! I think you mean very little touches the water?

Set back does allow a greater moment arm for bow lift due to the engine weight farther back from the transom and in combination with trim angle promotes quicker bow lift. It also allows higher engine jacking since there is greater water spray uplift to feed the prop and cooling ports as it leaves the bottom trailing edge. Result is you can probably run more pitch and might have greater speed if prop correctly selected!

tyst67
05-13-2012, 05:58 PM
here is a video http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151656727700405

MWhite
05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
how fast u say that boats running, 55mph

HTarver
05-13-2012, 08:29 PM
What I would do is, put a nose cone on it and raise the motor up till the center of the prop shaft is level with the bottom of the boat and you will see more top end. Also a good 6 inch jack plate will help and unlpug that rev limiter, you did say ''race boat'' . But I dont know how u race, in a cicle or drag? I dont know nothing bout going in a cirlce.

Fastjeff57
05-14-2012, 04:21 AM
That motor is really a de-tuned 40 hp (40 cubes). They're no slouch!

Jeff

Popa Sam
05-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Before making any of the changes recommended you need to find another place to run. If you experience a blow out running in this location, those bridge pilings are gonna hurt.

David Mason
05-14-2012, 10:26 AM
If you raise the engine, you might need more prop.

Trick is to continue going up in smaller incraments, and stop when the speed levels out, or drops. Then you know your particular hulls limits with that prop. There is no math formula that can be 100% accurate on your rig. It simply gets you in the ballpark, and you fine tune from there. Test a lot. You might try going above the bottom if you have a gearbox that will handle it. You could swing a larger prop and possibly get more top end, but you will be giving up a lot of low end.

chris3298
05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
That motor is really a de-tuned 40 hp (40 cubes). They're no slouch!

Jeff

These 30 yamaha are they 3 cylinder? and what are the years they made them? I ask because a guy I work with has one and I told him about it today because he was thinking of looking for a 40 hp but hell if this motor is that good then I'll tell him keep it. He said he was offered a good bit a few years ago for it and never sold it.

tyst67
05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
YES SIR 55.1 mph is what the gps says everytime

chris3298
05-14-2012, 01:41 PM

That is awsome

tyst67
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Thank you guys!! i'm proud of it and it took alot of hard work!

serious3
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
These 30 yamaha are they 3 cylinder? and what are the years they made them? I ask because a guy I work with has one and I told him about it today because he was thinking of looking for a 40 hp but hell if this motor is that good then I'll tell him keep it. He said he was offered a good bit a few years ago for it and never sold it.

nope its a twin cyl same as my 40hp they certainly scream! mine will turn to 6800rpm!

MWhite
05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Cool. dont mess up and hit that bride pier man, cause it wont be nice. lol

MWhite
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Thank you guys!! i'm proud of it and it took alot of hard work![/QUOTE Thats what it takes sometimes, lots of testing with everything from props,, to boats height, weights and it pays off sometimes.:)

phillnjack
05-09-2013, 06:11 PM
i just watched that video about 10 times
your doing about 55 yes,but kilometers per hour not miles. and as for 7 ,000 rpms you realy are not anywhere near that at all.

phill

tyst67
05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Are you joking man? Do you want me to prove it cause that's not real hard to do! The GPS does not lie and really I have nothing to lie about man!

phillnjack
05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I am deadly serious
there is no way that engine is screaming at anything like 7 grand.
and no way is that boat doing anything like 50mph in that video.

Now before you start thinking im wrong, take a look at this pic below, its a speed record set in 2009 and still stands today
this fella sold me the prop that made this record ,its a 13 3/4 x 23 pitch running flat out on a e-tec 90
on a phantom 16 powerboat.
Its not a not a toy its serious piece of kit and the speed record is there at a tad under 50mph.
see for yourself

and your trying to tell me that a home made boat with just a 30hp is faster than one of the best racing boats ever made with a 90 -etec on the back !!!!!!!!!

i think your gps is telling you very wrong.
Now also the tiny tac is mainly for go carts where the revs go very high,these are not nmuch good below about 9 thousand revs and even then can be very poor for acuracy.
Get a merc rev counter and get someone with a good workshop gun to calibrate it with.
i would say you revs in that video are around 5300 if your lucky.

Riverrat001
05-09-2013, 07:12 PM
I am deadly serious

Now before you start thinking im wrong, take a look at this pic below, its a speed record set in 2009 and still stands today
this fella sold me the prop that made this record ,its a 13 3/4 x 23 pitch running flat out on a e-tec 90
Its not a not a toy its serious piece of kit and the speed record is there at a tad under 50mph.
see for yourself

and your trying to tell me that a home made boat with just a 30hp is faster than one of the best racing boats ever made with a 90 -etec on the back !!!!!!!!!

Now also the tiny tac is mainly for go carts where the revs go very high,these are not nmuch good below about 9 thousand revs and even then can be very poor for acuracy.
Get a merc rev counter and get someone with a good workshop gun to calibrate it with.

I'm confused at what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that a stock 3 cylinder won't run over 50 mph?

phillnjack
05-10-2013, 02:30 AM
the engine in question is a 2 cylinder 30hp mercury not a 3 cylinder !!!!!!!!11
the engine is not screaming and the boat is not doing 55mph in the video is what im saying.

i would love to get hold of a usa gps that lots of people are using as they show fantastic speeds compared to european gps.
its strange how so many boats are so much faster than world records that are trying to be broken by people spending fortunes and years to break.

again what im saying is that the mercury on the back of that boat IN THE VIDEO is NOT screaming at 7,000 rpms
and NOT doing 55mph.

phill

tyst67
05-10-2013, 03:22 AM
This is a video from last year when I was only running 55 mph. This year I beat that speed with a top speed of 59 mph. My GPS is accurate and I also used a radar gun and I have also tried about five other GPS's and they all show me between 58 and 59 mile-per-hour. If that guy with that 90 hp etec can only run 50 mph you should tell him to come and talk to me because I will help them go faster. That's not much of a record to be able to go 50 mp with a 90 lmfao! I didn't realize those etecs worked that ****ty!

zul8tr
05-10-2013, 03:40 AM
To cross check your gps do a hard to disprove timed run (measure to the part of a second with stop watch) in a measured distance section (like at least several hundred feet) of the river. Run both ways and average results. In the video there are easy to measure bridge supports that can be used as a reference. Note the current speed and direction. When I was actively racing and testing I used the time and distance method for all setup trials, better accuracy and easy to do once distance reference is set up. I had a specific place to test. That's the way they do it a Bonneville and APBA record runs.

V(mph) = [Distance (feet) /Time (secs)] x 0.682

phillnjack
05-10-2013, 04:13 AM
yep i agree, timed distance is the proof on both runs .

so many people dont realise just how quick 50mph is in a boat.
saying the tec 90 is slow is a silly thing to say when they hold speed records set up correctly and in the natianol speed records week at conniston water.
in case you dont know or have not heard of conniston ,its the place where all powerboat racers would lovce to go and break records as its the home of powerboat speed records.
Bluebird broke the water speed record there in 1962 and the record stodd for almost 50 years.
There are a few usa names on the records ,but not as many as you might think.

there is planty of people who turn up thinking they have 100mph boats that end up with a 70mph ticket to show their friends.
the e-tec 90 was in ocr and ffe900 class, that means totaly stock engine on stock boat, no modificastions other than propeller.
Now being as the boat broke the records i would say it was very quick, just looked up and that record has been broken and ratified as it now stands at 51mph.
yet your 30hp 2 cylinder mercury on tiller on a sheet of plywood is faster by almost 10mph !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you should go and race it against the gt30 class boats, they can get to 55mph and hold records for that.
maybe you wont be allowed in the class due to be so much faster ha ha

zul8tr
05-10-2013, 07:16 AM
So let's see if he does time and distance and reports here actual distance used and time to run numbers. In the end, unless independently verified, it could still probably be a he said we said? So let's move on until these numbers are given.

At the moment viewing videos of my own hydro with a 1972 Merc 25ss going about 61+ mph and the sound of the engine at 7000 rpm I think the video of his rig is less than he states and engine sounds to me in the low 6000 rpm range. Taking his numbers for 18" pitch, 2:1 gear ratio and reported 55.1 speed and using a generous 10% slip the rpm needs to be:

RPM = (55.1 x 1056 x 2 gear ratio)/ (18" pitch x 0.9) = 7183, seems a might high for that engine

Check result here:

http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/propcalc.pl

I realize the formula is for a fully submerged prop but I have used it for my hydro speed comparisons and then back calculate for the slip of my hydro with speed from time and distance then used that slip in the formula for other testing comparisons with same prop. It checked very well with the time and distance runs I used. For other props I would do the same thing, calculate slip from time and distance runs and so forth. However I would always use the time and distance results for true and the formula to get a speed idea for different props.

Riverrat001
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
I had a bone stock merc 59ci motor on a 15X48 weldbilt that would run 53mph all day long with a 20 pitch merc chopper. I'm not trying to start a pissing match but the speeds you stated that e tech is running for a record is not impressive in my opinion

tyst67
05-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Well my motor is the same as the 59ci except 1 cylinder is chopped off and with a little timing advance and a few other things, these motors will scream! I believe you that a bone stock 3 cylinder will go 53 cause there are 5 of them in our boat club and they are fast! As for distance vs time, I'm gonna say if the other 2 guys don't believe me that's their problem! A GPS is accurate enough for me and I don't thing a GPS is gonna be off anymore than a few mph one way or the other! I didn't join this forum to be called a lier and If you don't believe me than oh well! I just tried my GPS and its the exact same as the speedometer on my truck! So I guess the next time I get caught for speed I will tell the police officer your theory and tell him I was actually doing 20 mph slower! BS !

phillnjack
05-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Now before you get carried away with your 60hp merc doing 53 mph with a 20 inch chopper, rememeber what the boat is and what you can and cannot run in e900 class !!!!
no jack plates, no special race boats,must be stock just like in the showrooms,no special fuels and all the seats like it has in showroom as well.
if you put your 59ci merc on a phantom youl be lucky to get 40mph , the boats are totaly different to lake boats,these phantoms run offshore and have been winning world titles since the early 1970's.

Now your getting 53mph with a 60hp, yet are 6 miles an hour slower than a 2 cylinder 30hp on a sheet of plywood knocked up in the woods then given a epoxy coat to make it go super fast .

seems like a good few records will go as soon as you all take these boats to a record run place.
Get a local sherrif of the river to check your speeds,if he ratifies them im sure youl get sponsorship from mercs to
run the nationals.

phillnjack
05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Just measure a distance and time it, you need a nice big mile, thats 1760 yards,not a theoretical mile.
and to run a record you need to do the kilometre as a minimum.

I think the boat in the video is hitting around 38 to 42 miles per hour,definitely not 50, that is my honest opinion.
ive had 50mph boats and also a lot that were and are slower.
i wish you were in the uk as i wouldnt hesitate to come and race against you , and mine aint a 50mph boat yet.

tyst67
05-10-2013, 11:39 AM
What does your gps read in mph?

tyst67
05-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Ok so I just went out and measured out 1000m with my works 100meter tape and then ran my boat! I went up stream to get a run for it and hit the start line at maximum speed! I started the timer at the start and then stopped the timer at the 1000m line! My timer only measured in whole seconds not milaseconds. So it can only be so accurate! The time was 38 seconds with the current and then I ran the distance again going upstream, again getting a run for it and hitting the line at wot, my time was 41 seconds. So this figures out that my down river speed was 94.7 km per hour or 58.8 mph and my up stream was 87.8 km per hour or 54.6 mph. So I added the upstream speed and the downstream speed together and divided by 2 to get my average speed and it was 91.3 km per hour and 56.7 mph.

zul8tr
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Well looks like that is a fair check with his numbers and the reported speeds are being attained. I still would like to know what rpms you are running to get those speeds.

tyst67
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
And I am gonna be fully honest, the motor is a 30 but its actually a detuned 40, being restricted with a small Venturi and smaller reed holes! So you put the 40 parts on and add some timing and these motors scream! And to be honest I had issues hooking up a tach so I am basically using the prop calc to estimate my rpms! The hard fact is even if it is hard to believe, my motor is that fast and right now I can even beat a few 59 ci mercurys around here!

Riverrat001
05-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Now before you get carried away with your 60hp merc doing 53 mph with a 20 inch chopper, rememeber what the boat is and what you can and cannot run in e900 class !!!!
no jack plates, no special race boats,must be stock just like in the showrooms,no special fuels and all the seats like it has in showroom as well.
if you put your 59ci merc on a phantom youl be lucky to get 40mph , the boats are totaly different to lake boats,these phantoms run offshore and have been winning world titles since the early 1970's.

Now your getting 53mph with a 60hp, yet are 6 miles an hour slower than a 2 cylinder 30hp on a sheet of plywood knocked up in the woods then given a epoxy coat to make it go super fast .

seems like a good few records will go as soon as you all take these boats to a record run place.
Get a local sherrif of the river to check your speeds,if he ratifies them im sure youl get sponsorship from mercs to
run the nationals.
The motor was a 59ci block but was detuned to a 40. It was on a 15x48 aluminum semi vee boat but did have a 5" jack plate. I'd love to race you now. It has a little modification done and will break 70mph on a 13' Allison

tyst67
05-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Nice man!! I would love to have one of the 59 ci cause they are just awesome! I have just about everything my wallet can afford done to mine lol I just pick away at it and just try different things with it and I seem to have alright success! The 55 hp sea pro's in our bout club could be a lot faster than they re but they don't realize how awesome those motors are! I would love to share some of the things I have done to my motor ! Maybe we can share secrets lol

LittleCharger
05-11-2013, 03:27 AM
Well done!

The tiny tach should work, sometimes on the two cylinders you have to wrap the sensor wire around both spark plug wires, this is what I have to do on the sst45 motors. Contrary to the previous comments we find them to be accurate and use them on everything from chainsaws, snowmobiles to hydros in testing as a secondary source.

zul8tr
05-11-2013, 03:30 AM
And I am gonna be fully honest, the motor is a 30 but its actually a detuned 40, being restricted with a small Venturi and smaller reed holes! So you put the 40 parts on and add some timing and these motors scream! And to be honest I had issues hooking up a tach so I am basically using the prop calc to estimate my rpms! The hard fact is even if it is hard to believe, my motor is that fast and right now I can even beat a few 59 ci mercurys around here!

What is a prop calc?
The speeds you are going realisticly means that the rpm exceeds about 7100 as I estimated in a previous post. You really need to get a tach. The video sound of the engine does not seem to sound like 7100+ rpm?
Why do you have it restricted with smaller venturi and reed holes?

tyst67
05-11-2013, 03:35 AM
Nice! I bought one last year and I never thought to try both wires :( I couldn't get to read so I put it directly on the plug tip and then put the plug wire over it lol it worked for a sec but I ended up frying it lol I want another one now ! I'm an idiot for not trying both wires first

tyst67
05-11-2013, 03:53 AM
What is a prop calc?
The speeds you are going realisticly means that the rpm exceeds about 7100 as I estimated in a previous post. You really need to get a tach. The video sound of the engine does not seem to sound like 7100+ rpm?
Why do you have it restricted with smaller venturi and reed holes?

So my motor came with a restricted read valve and A restricted Venturi! I changed it from that To a bigger read valves and bigger carb! And like I said I do not have a tach And I am using the prop calculator to estimate my RPMs! Did you ever think that maybe my boat is a little more efficient than 10% slip! Now I have a couple questions for you! Have you ever heard of twin Mercury like mine rev between 6500 and 7000 without the exhaust drilled out ! My exhaust comes out in the water! I race against a lot of big Johnson and Evinrude outboards And they all drill the hell out of their exhaust, They sound like they are reving 8 grand but realistically it is only the loud noise that is getting peoples attention! People say wow look at that go, "it is some fast" but actually they are slower than me but the loud noise makes them look to be flying! As well this video was taken from a cell phone and the speaker on the cell phone is probably not as good as a video camera! But I don't think that I am reving 7100 anyway I think I am running around 6700 -6800 with the less slip ! In the meantime I will try to put up better videos that demonstrates the speed and hopefully you will get to hear my motor better

Fastjeff57
05-11-2013, 04:49 AM
GPS readings an trick you. If the river was running 5 or 6 knots to the right (in the video) that would appear to make the boat that much faster. Running upstream (to the left) would then yield a much lower GPS speed.

I hate those miserable pitot tube speedos, but at least they give you water speed; a GPS gives you ground speed, ignoring the effects of current.

Jeff

zul8tr
05-11-2013, 05:54 AM
So my motor came with a restricted read valve and A restricted Venturi! I changed it from that To a bigger read valves and bigger carb! And like I said I do not have a tach And I am using the prop calculator to estimate my RPMs! Did you ever think that maybe my boat is a little more efficient than 10% slip! Now I have a couple questions for you! Have you ever heard of twin Mercury like mine rev between 6500 and 7000 without the exhaust drilled out ! My exhaust comes out in the water! I race against a lot of big Johnson and Evinrude outboards And they all drill the hell out of their exhaust, They sound like they are reving 8 grand but realistically it is only the loud noise that is getting peoples attention! People say wow look at that go, "it is some fast" but actually they are slower than me but the loud noise makes them look to be flying! As well this video was taken from a cell phone and the speaker on the cell phone is probably not as good as a video camera! But I don't think that I am reving 7100 anyway I think I am running around 6700 -6800 with the less slip ! In the meantime I will try to put up better videos that demonstrates the speed and hopefully you will get to hear my motor better

Prop slip is a necessary for the blades to produce propulsive force and is a natural result of the hydrodynamics of flow around the prop. It is impossible to have a blade with zero slip by virtue of the fact that the blade is screwing thru a viscus medium-water and can't advance without some slip. A pitch of 18" theoreticaly means that if there were no slip the propellor would advance 18" forward in one revolution. A 10% slip is very reasonable for your setup but in order to determine the real slip for your prop and setup you need to get very accurate time and distance speed and engine rpm and calculate the slip via the method I described above.

There is much info on propellor hydrodynamics and the slip concept from the very simple discussions to the research papers so have at it if you want to know.

MWhite
05-11-2013, 07:47 AM
GPS readings an trick you. If the river was running 5 or 6 knots to the right (in the video) that would appear to make the boat that much faster. Running upstream (to the left) would then yield a much lower GPS speed.

I hate those miserable pitot tube speedos, but at least they give you water speed; a GPS gives you ground speed, ignoring the effects of current.

Jeff What ever that gps tells u that u are going is what your going, doesnt matter if your on land are water, gps dont lie.

MHARDEE
05-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Make sure you are 2to 1 gear like you stated ,if your 1.84 to one your rpm would be less but still be running said speed just at lower rpm .

tyst67
05-11-2013, 12:11 PM
That's actually a good point! I'll check

HGipson
05-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Those are all some pretty good numbers if they are right. We had a 2003 40 3 cyl mercury stock on a 1442 Monark flat bottom and it would only run 35-36 mph. Boat only weighed about 200 lbs dry plus driver and motor. Also have a 50 4 cyl classic ported and no rev limiter and it'd run about the same. Now I've got a 60 Etec on a 1546 Alumacraft semi v and it only runs about 41-43. So if that stock Merc runs that fast on a similar boat y'all got some world records with your name on em somewhere. Seen countless number of those motors run and never seen one hit 50 with my own eyes unless it was on a baby racing boat with a 10 yr old driving. Just my two cents though I'm sure it's possible but I've never seen it in my 20 yrs of running big tiller motors

zul8tr
05-12-2013, 01:43 PM
What ever that gps tells u that u are going is what your going, doesnt matter if your on land are water, gps dont lie.

Well while what you say would seem correct you must know that there are errors in the gps recorded speed that are dependent on the the type of receiver and the way the signals are processed and a whole host of other effects. The typical gps units for public consumption usually have limited amount of signals that can be precessed in 1 sec. They also work most accuratly in a straight line. The speed is usually calculated by the difference in receipt time of the satellite signals at each distance point, then calculations of speed between the points is calculated. There is error with this approach that results in a +/- in the mph.

Here are some details if you want to wade thru it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System

Things are not always what they seem. Best is distance and accurate time measurements to calculate avg speed over the distance.

phillnjack
05-12-2013, 04:01 PM
MWhite says "what the gps says is what your doing"

well how can i have different gps monitors all running at the same time saying different speeds ?

tom tom, Garmin,samsung mobile phone device !!!!!!!

next time out ill take a pic of a few gps monitors all next to each other showing the different speeds.

phill

tyst67
05-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I haven't seen one yet that was out by 25 mph lol! They are off a mph one way or the other! The way I look at it, you are just jealous that I actually can make a boat and motor go fast and when somebody on this forum knows more about you about Boats and motor you get all offenended! And from what I see , that is pretty much everybody! ;P have a great day and if you want to finally get to 50 mph you are not gonna get any help from me!

phillnjack
05-12-2013, 05:54 PM
nobody is doubting your little plywood canoe isnt quick for what it is.
what people know is that your claim is so far fetched its gone way beyond stupidity.

now if you had said you had hit 40 and was gonna try for a bit more then people might of given you a bit of credit.

But no, oh no not satisfied to add atleast 10 to 15 mph, you then lost all control and claim to be hitting 59mph
now that just has to be about the biggest load of B*****t on this forum for a long time ,
Seriously you must be making the race guys laugh their brains out, they go out testing and blue printing engines,
pay fortunes for mega lightweight carbon fibre boat hulls that are designed,built and aided by computer to be
extremely fast and as hydro-dynamic as possible,and yet you just walked out the cabin,chopped down a tree and carved out a boat,then bought a secondhand engine
that just happened to be the fastest 30hp engine in the world and now your going so fast your in your own little orbit !!!.

Whatever your smoking must be strong stuff, i suggest you start selling it and save up for the rev counter !!!!

phill

tyst67
05-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Wanna lay a little money on the line idiot?

HTarver
05-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Wanna lay a little money on the line idiot?

Hey buddy, There aint no since in arguing with these people anymore. They live in a whole nother country and they think, Race, and setup boats in whole nother way than we do! And above all There is no way Me, you, Mike white or Riverrat could ever prove to them how fast our lil 40hp motors are because they live so far away! No disrespect to anyone! but only way to prove your top end speed would be to stand behind someone with a Radar gun and video the gun while ur making a pass and post the video right here. My two cents

tyst67
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Nicely said! And it's awesome to have some other guys around that love to run these mercs all out at awesome speeds! You guys are all awesome!

HankFrazier
05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
what people know is that your claim is so far fetched its gone way beyond stupidity.

now if you had said you had hit 40 and was gonna try for a bit more then people might of given you a bit of credit.

But no, oh no not satisfied to add atleast 10 to 15 mph, you then lost all control and claim to be hitting 59mph
now that just has to be about the biggest load of B*****t on this forum for a long time ,
Seriously you must be making the race guys laugh their brains out, they go out testing and blue printing engines,
pay fortunes for mega lightweight carbon fibre boat hulls that are designed,built and aided by computer to be
extremely fast and as hydro-dynamic as possible,and yet you just walked out the cabin,chopped down a tree and carved out a boat,then bought a secondhand engine
that just happened to be the fastest 30hp engine in the world and now your going so fast your in your own little orbit !!!.

Whatever your smoking must be strong stuff, i suggest you start selling it and save up for the rev counter !!!!

phill

Its more fun to out run people that talk too much than it is to set records.

tyst67
05-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Hahaha hey hank I was watching your videos the other day on YouTube and that thing screams man! I like it !!!!

fs5
05-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Hey buddy, There aint no since in arguing with these people anymore. They live in a whole nother country and they think, Race, and setup boats in whole nother way than we do! And above all There is no way Me, you, Mike white or Riverrat could ever prove to them how fast our lil 40hp motors are because they live so far away! No disrespect to anyone! but only way to prove your top end speed would be to stand behind someone with a Radar gun and video the gun while ur making a pass and post the video right here. My two cents

tarvers on the money mate,some people talk and some people get it done.
the dude talkin about the old 4 cyl mercs needs to wake up,we were runnin solid 47mph runs both ways back in the 90's 2 up in an old gemini....thats with the lost foam merc job that had no head or port covers,last of the best ever 40hp motors.

phillnjack
05-13-2013, 04:16 AM
fs5
there is a huge distance between a 40hp hot engine and a standard 30hp.
there is also a massive margin between 47mph and 55.1 then onto 59mph.

Now dont forget you were running a gemini race boat neither with almost zero weight compared to a homebuilt plywood boat that dont ride on a v-pad andcertainly aint a screamer.

Htarver talks of his 40hp running fast, yes the 40hp is a 3 cylinder 60hp motor detuned thats in his avatar,not a 30hp twin
massive difference in engines ive had both of them.

The little merc 30 is nothing at all like the 3 cylinder engine,its totaly different and will never produce the power of the triple.

i think the moonshine and jamaican woodbines are causing a lot of hallucinations, its very easy to get carried away
and talk of speed.
If these tin and plywood fishing floats are so fast then why not atleast take them to the races and beat all the mulit-million dollar company's that have spent years to develop fast engines and boats.

im sure with the knowledge of a redneck and the bragging of his cousin, the sst45 boys must be ****ting bricks incase
you turn up and make them all look silly as well.

Ive seen plenty of fast boats and plenty of boats that are so called 50mph boats, but allways an excuse when ive
passed them doing a lot less than 50mph.

Im sure that a 59mph 30hp engine on a home built boat could get you a nice photograph on the back of a
truck or even a spot on the jerry springer show !!!
and imagine how fast its gonna go when it gets some real mods done to it ??????

P.S dont forget to leave grandpa's moonshine alone next time you go out and wrestle the aligators.

phill

HGipson
05-13-2013, 06:21 AM
I've got three of the old 4 cyl Mercs two are running and one is for parts. They may go that 47 or whatever on a race boat. But a Monark 14'42" bottom aluminum flat bottom built in Monticello, AR in the early 1980's wasn't a race boat if I remember right. I've got a buddy with a 30 2 cyl Merc about 2002-2003 guessing and its slower than my 25 Merc. 14'36 Monark. I'm not arguing I just want to know what kind of boats y'all are running these motors on to try and figure out how to set one up myself!!!

HankFrazier
05-13-2013, 07:09 AM
I've got three of the old 4 cyl Mercs two are running and one is for parts. They may go that 47 or whatever on a race boat. But a Monark 14'42" bottom aluminum flat bottom built in Monticello, AR in the early 1980's wasn't a race boat if I remember right. I've got a buddy with a 30 2 cyl Merc about 2002-2003 guessing and its slower than my 25 Merc. 14'36 Monark. I'm not arguing I just want to know what kind of boats y'all are running these motors on to try and figure out how to set one up myself!!!

the boat on my avator is a homemade jon boat with a modified 40 merc it runs mid 70's on just motor 23 pitch merc cleverprop at 7300 rpm and high 70's to 80 with a 60hp shot of nos.at 8ooo rpm.

HGipson
05-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Can you send me dementions/specs of the boat ? I'm not racing just hunting but I like to go through the trees fast enough I don't see but a blurr. I'm looking at doing a complete rebuild of my 85/86 50 4 cyl and putting a cleaver on it and building a similar set up. Appreciate the advice man! I got a response about building a 44 XS out of it but is there anything else I can do for more hp than that?

tyst67
05-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Sweet ride buddy!

tyst67
05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
What are the specs of his 30? There are 2 30's that merc made, one was only a little over 400 ccs and then the one like mine which is 640 ccs! I'll paste a link of both styles! http://www.smalloutboards.com/m3010.htm and then the one like mine http://www.redbook.com.au/boat-engine-reviews/2003/mercury/mercury-30hp-elpto-8258

HGipson
05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
The motor was the second link you sent. Had it on a 1440 Waco semi v. Lightest boat I've ever late hands on the motor weighed more than the boat! It ran good about 34 mph and got there quick but that was all she had.

tyst67
05-13-2013, 07:54 AM
The motor was the second link you sent. Had it on a 1440 Waco semi v. Lightest boat I've ever late hands on the motor weighed more than the boat! It ran good about 34 mph and got there quick but that was all she had.

Any motor can be slow if not setup properly! But if he still has the motor I will help him out with anything he needs to know

MWhite
05-13-2013, 08:38 AM

phill

PhillJ... If the man gps is telling him hes running this speed, and it is doing it ever time, give or take a mph,,,, then y u think its not correct,, who are u to say that its not,, was u there?,,,, the mans word isnt good enough for u!!!!!!! In the video hes running a strait line pass best i can tell, not in a circle,, which will give him a accuate reading,,,, Ive had garmins megellands, and all them was there with my truck,, even had a state trooper radar me just to see if they where off, they were all on the money,, but i guess u will argue that to. What ever that gps says is what it is, wether u like it r not, they have been known to hurt a mans feeling on speed too.

MWhite
05-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Well while what you say would seem correct you must know that there are errors in the gps recorded speed that are dependent on the the type of receiver and the way the signals are processed and a whole host of other effects. The typical gps units for public consumption usually have limited amount of signals that can be precessed in 1 sec. They also work most accuratly in a straight line. The speed is usually calculated by the difference in receipt time of the satellite signals at each distance point, then calculations of speed between the points is calculated. There is error with this approach that results in a +/- in the mph.

Here are some details if you want to wade thru it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System

Things are not always what they seem. Best is distance and accurate time measurements to calculate avg speed over the distance.

Theres a 1mph diffrents error give or take, but no more. u are right,, u get a more accurate reading going straight.

MWhite
05-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I am deadly serious

see for yourself

Thats a world speed record,, (50mph) with a e-tec90 on a race boat!!!!! thats nothin to brag about,, in fact thats pitiful slow, if thats all its got i would be embarrass to pull it off the trailer,,, better put something on the back of it that will run,, like a mercury,, e-tec junk. u better not bring that boat over to where tyst67 hangs out with his 30 mercury cause hes going to wax your butt with his homemade boat.

LittleCharger
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM
The GPS could be reading a little slow too! Just say'n..

tyst67
05-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Hahahaha that a boy haha

tyst67
05-13-2013, 12:40 PM
The GPS could be reading a little slow too! Just say'n..

Yeah even depending on the PDOP satellite angles! Maybe a little off either way! But still should be real close

reble redneck
05-13-2013, 06:07 PM
fs5
there is a huge distance between a 40hp hot engine and a standard 30hp.
there is also a massive margin between 47mph and 55.1 then onto 59mph.

Now dont forget you were running a gemini race boat neither with almost zero weight compared to a homebuilt plywood boat that dont ride on a v-pad andcertainly aint a screamer.

Htarver talks of his 40hp running fast, yes the 40hp is a 3 cylinder 60hp motor detuned thats in his avatar,not a 30hp twin
massive difference in engines ive had both of them.

The little merc 30 is nothing at all like the 3 cylinder engine,its totaly different and will never produce the power of the triple.

i think the moonshine and jamaican woodbines are causing a lot of hallucinations, its very easy to get carried away
and talk of speed.
If these tin and plywood fishing floats are so fast then why not atleast take them to the races and beat all the mulit-million dollar company's that have spent years to develop fast engines and boats.

im sure with the knowledge of a redneck and the bragging of his cousin, the sst45 boys must be ****ting bricks incase
you turn up and make them all look silly as well.

Ive seen plenty of fast boats and plenty of boats that are so called 50mph boats, but allways an excuse when ive
passed them doing a lot less than 50mph.

Im sure that a 59mph 30hp engine on a home built boat could get you a nice photograph on the back of a
truck or even a spot on the jerry springer show !!!
and imagine how fast its gonna go when it gets some real mods done to it ??????

P.S dont forget to leave grandpa's moonshine alone next time you go out and wrestle the aligators.

phill
Dude Mwhite has a mod 20hp mercury named bones that on a 10 flat bottom boat I would put a paycheck on that will run over 55 mph

tyst67
05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
That is sweet

MWhite
05-13-2013, 07:29 PM
I'd like for phillnjack to come hookup with some of us down here in the south just one time. we would put that world champion race boat on the trailer. 50 mph aint going to get it. i can idle that fast.

tyst67
05-13-2013, 07:37 PM
I'd like for phillnjack to come hookup with some of us down here in the south just one time. we would put that world champion race boat on the trailer. 50 mph aint going to get it. i can idle that fast.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha that would be hilarious to see his face!

reble redneck
05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I am deadly serious

see for yourself

I could drag that race boat behind my boat faster than the world record it set

ima75man
05-14-2013, 06:11 PM
mike let the man lay down in the bottom of the gator boat and hold on to his gps, sometimes u have to prove a point.

HankFrazier
05-14-2013, 06:30 PM
mike let the man lay down in the bottom of the gator boat and hold on to his gps, sometimes u have to prove a point.

I think that is the best way to prove true speed I ever heard .lol.He would probably forget about the gps at about 75mph.

tyst67
05-14-2013, 06:57 PM
He would be terrified around 55 mph and he would never make it to 75 lol

MWhite
05-14-2013, 07:05 PM
He would be wonting out of it at about 1/2 track too,, it would be too fast for him.