PDA

View Full Version : Roy and Bob Willard, Oildale, California

Ron Hill
07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I just met Tom Willard, Roy's grandson. Roy has been gone since about 1985. Bobby is living in Park City, Utah.

Bob Willard raced A-B-C-D Runabout a A and B Hydro. He and his dad made the trip to the Puddle in Venice, California from Oildale, for 39 straight weeks during the days of TV's Speedboat Rodeo...

There are many more pictures...This is Bobby getting some Sta-Lube oil from Lenny Newman, the Producer of Speedboat Rodeo, this was on LIVE TV.

Picture 1: 4-US was Bob Parish. 3-C Bob Willard and I'm not sure where.

Picture 2: 1-C Bob Willard at Brawley, 289-C was a DeSilva driven by George Rosenthal, Jr. The name of the boat was HURRICANE SUZY, TOO.

Picture three; 137-C is Puddingstone in either A or B Hydro, Bob Willard getting wet.

Picture 4: B-292-C is the late John Craven driving "Raven Craven" a Champion Hull and a Champion Hot Rod motor. 340-C is Ward Rogers, and the Chrysler (Dodge truck) on the back is the Willard's turck. Bob's son, Tom worked for Chrysler for 30 years.

russhill
07-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Roy and Bobby were both great people. Gentleman. Assets to our sport.

Ron Hill
07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I'll look the pictures over and and add some comments.3-C appears on the wrong side of the river, but this is the start of the Needles Marathon, and we used the whole river then, actually this is the Needles MARINE STADIUM heading to the river.

3-C is Bob

58-C in Jimmy Dawe holding his motor.

46-c is George May, in the boat.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Those are some great pictures. Hard to believe how many people are swarming in that picture in the pits. Looking forward to your and Russ's comments Ron.

Skoontz
07-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I see a Switzer Baby Bullet abd a 20Hand in thr last oicturr! Love it!

Ron Hill
07-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Baby Bullet, don't know who owned it....But I did know it was a Switzer Craft.

Many stories could be told here. Bob Willard was quite a racer, his dad, Roy, is accepting an award in the third picture. Ray Harris is the Commodore passing out High Point Trophies.

In the first picture in the lower right hand corner, is Lee Morehouse, famous for building Morehouse Boats.

Ron Hill
07-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Once I get these pictures all posted, I'll go back and tell some stories.

bill boyes
07-20-2012, 05:58 PM
In the group picture who is standing behind you Ron?

Ron Hill
07-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Bob is wearing glasses. I don't know who that is on the far left, or who that is next to Bob.

Some great old black and whites aren't there???

Ron Hill
08-14-2012, 04:19 PM
D-1-C. New Willard DU, racing at Hart Park, Bakersfield, California.

bill boyes
08-15-2012, 11:17 AM
notice Danny's Haircut. before Danny's owned Sportsman Marine on Western ave he was a newspaper distributor.
Roy Willard was one heck of a prop man. Really was good with OJ's

Ron Hill
02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Tom Willard is Bob Willard's son. Bob is living in Park City, Utah a snow skis everyday and 80 years old. We raced on TV for 39 straight weeks, Bob and his dad, Roy, made the run from Oil Dale to Lake Los Angeles (The Puddle) 39 straight weeks. Roy and Bob became very good boat builders besides boat racers.

Roy was Vice-President of the Boat Racing Syndicate, of course I was the President. Vice President GOT to pay for the roller coaster rides and bumper cars at Balboa Park when we raced in San Diego.

Ron Hill
02-25-2015, 05:18 PM
I never gave it much thought, but once TV racing stopped we started down hill in numbers of boats and numbers of races. When Mercury cared about selling outboard motors, they promoted racing, Havasu cared about selling land, they promoted racing. Many of us were so busying racing, we didn't have time to PROMOTE.

DeanFHobart
09-29-2015, 03:01 PM
I don't see 19-C anywhere???????????? What's up with that !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Hill
10-01-2015, 08:45 PM
In one picture of AU's I'm sixth out of six. It was the TROPHY dash and they inverted the starters. I started last but won, a COFFEE POT (20 cups)... Bobby Willard was the "MAN" in those days. He's alive and well in Park City, Utah. He ran A, B and D Hydro, A,B,C, D Runabout. Made the trip from Oil Dale (Near Bakersfield) for 39 straight weeks....Live TV baby, 1 to 3...Had the recorded been made, boat racing might have been a real sport, as we out drew the Rams Football team in that era.