PDA

View Full Version : Help... 2.4 Merc.... the story of!

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Ok so here goes, I'm going to try this again... Maybe the fine folks of BFR can help!

....So, I got my Dads old race boat about 15yrs ago, since then the whole time I have owned it, buying parts or getting info on the 2.4 has been a FREAK'N NIGHTMARE!

I have been called a liar. I've been told I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been told many, many times that the 2.4 I have sitting in my drive-way doesn't exist....That Mercury never made the model I have in '78! I said all that to say this, If you are going to tell me the same thing, I'm use to it, expecting it, and am completely numb to it!

...So, here goes it is a 1978 (20") OFFSHORE 250hp 2.4 BLACK MAX, and yes, it said ALL those things on the cowl! Here is the next problem, because I'm a knuckle-head, the first time I took it out... I lost the freak'n top cowling, so I have no proof of what it said, other than "Hard to see" photos!

Why I am writing......I am giving-up try'n to dial this thing in! After 15yrs of thinking "I knew what I was doing"....I'm done! I need help! All the manuals that came with it, DO NOT have that freak'n model in them! I can never find ones that do, everybody over the years has given advise some good, some bad, on timing, carb set-up etc. but I'm still having problems! I have always wondered if becuase of the factory mods, things like timing etc. need to be set different than a stock 200..... Maybe I'm the problem, I don't know, but I want to be on the water, not at the freaking dock fixing it! Now because of age, I'm sure it needs rings and seals to get back to what it was... But I'm thinking I need someone smarter than me to take a look at it! I moved to NorCal and I realy haven't found anyone yet that gives me the "Warm Fuzzies" to take it to... Any help on where to go would be a much appreciated! ...I've tried looking things up on line, I talked to people, and to shops.. I've had this thing for 15yrs, trust me, I've tried to do right....

...Here is a few of my favorite things; Dosen't want to start when cold, hell even after it's warm sometimes, coughs coming off the line, cuts-out at mid throtle at times....but then runs like a champ at WOT!?!?! ....am I wrong to think timing and carb issues? I have set the timing/linkages/carbs to the factory specs so many times, I can do it in my freaking sleep! I'm seriously starting to think I am freak'n LEGALLY RETARDED! So the reason I'm ranting, after I gave up for a while and the boat sat for the last 5yrs, we took it out last weekend and I got to once again enjoy all the things I HATE about that freakn motor!

....Oh yeah, and now it will barely keep the battery charged!

Stats:
Heavy boat (Hallet 19' sport skier)
Heavy merc hydraulic "Parabolic" jack plate
2.4 (250hp they never made)
Bob's nose cone w/low water pickup
Ron Hill 24p Chopper

I was running high on the jack plate, 4 adults, full tanks, calm water, and trimmed to the moon.... 4.5psi fuel pressure, 30psi water pressure, the tach was right around 5500 (Can't remember for sure, seems low, but there was 4(Large) adults with me) and GPS read 61... Seems pretty good for the set-up and amount of folks riding with me right??? I can live pretty darn happy with my WOT for a family boat, I just want to fix the freak'n IDDLE to WOT problems!

...PLEASE HELP!

john miffco
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
like most told u
the 1st v6 mercs from 76 up were 2litres
im no vintage buff ,,,dont know exactly what merc did when
but the 225 2.4s were 80 -82
but maybe with the offshore housing on there they released a 250 version
as the housing will add hp to rating,,,
was there such a housing in 1978???20" offshore???
yrs dont match but theres guys on this site that know vintage releases and dates

the 50 in the serial # dont show up on 1976-80 150-225 motors
the 1978 175 startsrun with 48 and 1979 starts run with 51
so can be a 1978 175 swivel section
as u know no 250 listed
so could be real,,,,,1off try for merc,,,,,,
or motor was pieced together many yrs ago,,,,,probably so

so if its life started off a 225 block which was not released until 1980,,,who knows????
with head off will be chrome bore,,, 2 transfer ports and 1 exhaust ,,,no finger ports like the later 200s,,,,
will have horizonal reeds with 14 metal pedals
and carbs shouild be wh-22 stamped in on top by the butterflys
if has these items then its a 225 block
and then would want to get a 225 manual to tune to

also with the spitting and hard to cold start
might want to pull intake and look for broken reeds
do a comp test to see if rings are holding or might have some peeled chrome
if comp is low,,,,should be around 125psi
good luck,,,again no nestagic expert
but do know its gotta be a 225 block assy if its that old of a 2.4
as 150/175s were 2.0 litre

kraazyboat
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Idle jets need to go smaller to richen them up. As main jets have to go bigger to richen them up. Dave

Schiada
08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Don't think it is a "Offshore" no hood pin in the back top cover? Also it looks like the decal is MERC? not on a "Offshore" . I have never seen a Black Max on a "Offshore" cover? It has a "Offshore" mid. jm2c's. I will check the number at work in the AM.;)

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 07:08 PM
More pics.... One more of the org. cowl and the rest are of the 2.4

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
...and more, I took the choke plate off, which I know, would aid in the "Hard-starts"

Schiada
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Looks to be a 150 or 175 block. Has 5 pedel reeds. Has a "Offshore" flywheel.
Boat looks to be a "Ski Racer" maybe post in that area?

john miffco
08-01-2012, 07:19 PM
that is a vertical reed motor,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
all the big hp motors are horizonal
the carbs are of the older 76-79 150-175 by #s and having a choke,,,,,,

when mercury started the 1 piece drop on cowl
on the twister motor
then went to the v 6s
all the factory stickers back then said mercury,,,,
merc came way in the later yrs,,,,,,
i had a twister 2x motor set up,2.4 formula efi set up with the original cowls and stickers
all i know is they were all mercury in chrome print,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
....and more

john miffco
08-01-2012, 07:37 PM
enough pics,,,,,no disrespect but,,,,
u have a pieced together motor
as i original thought,,,,,but trying to get benifit of doubt to ya,,,
without pics of the powerhead,,,
is older 1978 175 by the swivel serial #s
that 20" mid did not come on that motor
u have the production 2 piece tuner plate with the rubber seal
to fit the original clamshell style production cowls
some 1 put on the race cowl and mid
but didnt change to the 1 piece race tuner
to make it a full conversion

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
DAMM MY LUCK! ...I swear to....

So not only do not have that cowl any more to prove what it said, I can't find the F'n receipt now!!!!! When I got the boat from my Dad I had:

1. The org. receipt; Bought from Pratt Bros. in Redlands, Ca
2. The org "letter of intent" my Dad sent to Mercury
3. The stupid freakn little tags that tell you to be a safe boater etc.
4 The receipt from Witch Craft for one "Bare" hull

...All from 1978! ....1978 being the date of the receipts... maybe the motor is an early '79 model?

There is no freak'n way he bought an '80-later block in '78!

Wish you guys knew my Dad....He ain't got it in him to make-up a story like this! ..and why, for what????? He was just some working stiff that tried to build his own race boat, and race a few races! ...or I wish someone on here knew Dennis Kirby...He could back the story!

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes! ...I found it!

john miffco
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
dont doubt the sale
does say 2.4 on ticket when 2.4 hasnt been released yet
but on ticket and motor tag
motor ids starting with 48------ to 50------according to mercury id list
would be a 175
then on the reciept it says 17500
thats what a 175 was called then,,,,,,

again no disrespect
but need to open up the motor and see if it is a 2.0 or 2.4
looks to be 2.0
again im no experert if mercury made a special 2.4 in 1978
but doubt with a clamshell 2 piece tuner from the factory
but can be wrong as no expert
good luck
last reply
john

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 08:37 PM
You guys have a long way to go before you disrespect me.... You are telling me things I have heard for a long time now! Like I said, I was expecting it! I really would like to find the history on this from Mercury someday, for now I will settle for the darn thing running right now!

Thank you John, you have shed some light on the "Bad running issue" , I will check all things mentioned.

...and, again, you didn't disrespect me Brother, you don't know me from Adam, and your just going by what you do know, and the hard facts writen out in black-n-white! Which is why when they ask for the serial # when go to buy parts...I just give them the one on my 200!

...BRB, I'm going to go pull the head!

MooreRacing
08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
...head removed!

john miffco
08-01-2012, 09:28 PM
that is a 2.4 bore
and the original 225 type ports
1 ex 2 transfers 1 wide boost

2.4 bore with small vertical 5 pedal reeds
who would uf thunk
never seen it
merc was always tryin things
there u go a 1 off build,,,,,
from outside its 2.0
inside different animal
pic tells all
believe u now

Schiada
08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Looks chrome to me!

Maybe is two motors? Front 150/175/1750 and the rear early 200/2000?
Case seam looks funny??

And how did they get the air out of the top of the block??

Think this one is just funny.

Powerabout
08-02-2012, 03:31 AM
3 ram trim in 78??
nice photos
weird cooling system

Schiada
08-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Good eye Powerboat! And the strap is off the tower,can't use it with the newer transom braket.

MooreRacing
08-02-2012, 09:50 AM
@ Powerboat and Schiada:

Nice catch... I was wondering when/if someone would notice?!?

...I was try'n not to complicate this whole entire thing more, but since you guys caught it, here goes!

I have two boats, the yellow Witchcraft from the photos, and the Hallett in my avatar. The Witchcraft was my first boat, I then bought the Hallet when I broke the transom on the Witchcraft. Everything was groovy with the Hallet until I got in a hurry head'n to the lake for the "First trip of the season" and thought the water pump would be good for just one quick trip to the lake.....so I didn't check it, forgot about it once we got there....long story short, "By-By" 200hp 2.4! So I drug it back to the house, off with the 1986 200hp 2.4 and slap thee'ole 1978 250hp 2.4 on! Well I had clamp issues, first- bolt pattern different, second- '78 has the twin rams with an inboard pump...'86 has three ram w/ pump built in, see where this is going... Use the '86 clamp, no running lines through the transom, no dealing with jack plate issues = back to the lake and on the water! I also used the lower unit off of the '86 2.4 because I had just put a Bob's nose cone on it the summer before!

Since everyone for the last 15yrs had said the '78 2.4 was a "Frankenstien" and NOT factory...I did not want to fuel the fire with the "Changing of the clamp and lower unit" story right out of the gate!

Now that's all out of the way.... I have so many "Need help/opinion" questions!

1. The '78 lower unit has the thrust pin in the top of the shaft, the '86 doesn't- Is this an issue? Isn't the pin to put pre-load on the pinion? The shafts both mic'd the same, splines seemed to be cut the same... Is the depth of the spline bore deeper in the '78 2.4 crank because of the pin in the older lower unit and would it leave to much clearance using a newer lower unit?

2. Should I use the specs for a "225hp" for timming and carbs?

3. Motor sat for a long time before I got it, sat again for another 5yrs after I got it...so time for seals and rings right? I know I could till with a compression test, but since I just took a head off I don't want to waist another head gasket...or....should I?

4. If I do need reeds, guess'n I do cause of age and the problems I'm having, should I go back with stock....or....would it be worth try'n out some aftermarkets? Any sugguestions on style/brand... I've worked with/on 2-stroke dirtbikes my whole life, so do the same tricks apply like; Boyesen 2-stage cageless reeds being the hot set-up? Do they use 2-stage on outboards?

5. Can I bead-blast the heads (outsides)

6. I pulled threads in one bolt hole taking the head off last night, is there enough meat on the stud bosses for heli-coils? Should I change to studs on the heads?

7. Is it bad joo-joo to use stainless bolts ie. Heads, covers, etc.? Stainless-to-aluminum gets tricky sometimes.....maybe not?

....I know I'm burning through the questions, I just don't want to F-up this motor by doing something stupid through "Blind" trial-n-error! The people sale'n the product ALWAYS claim theirs is the hot set-up! ...just figure the fella's with thier butts in the seats looking for checkers would be better to ask instead of a milliom different web-sites claim'n to be the one!

MooreRacing
08-02-2012, 10:00 AM
<----------that is the way the motor looks/is now in my avatar....

-New cowl bought 5yrs ago from Mercury ("Champ" I think) for freak'n 1500.00!
-(3)ram clamp off '86 2.4
-Org. "Offshore" mid
-'86 2.4 lower unit w/Bob's nose cone
-5 million pound factory Mercury "Parabolic" jackplate I waisted 1800.00 dallors on
because of no computer at that time(Long story), small town, lack of research, being young-n-dumb!

.....I would really like to find the right cowling for the '78! I know I'll never find the same stickers, but atleast the right Cowl...maybe a "1750" or "Formula", something close!

I guess I could dive to the bottom of Lake Mohave and get my org. one back!

Schiada
08-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Do you have a working advance module?

R Austin
08-02-2012, 11:33 AM
The motor appears as a 1978 200HP Off Shore Hi Performance. I sold 2 as a dealer in 1978. The center section and cover are Off Shore. the cover did not have pins, only 4 bungey straps holding it and had a standard lower unit. One is still in town being restored. I can check the numbers on it as it has only had 1 owner and still has original parts. The .100 on the heads indicates it has been cut .100 to raise compression. The 200 was the first chrome bore, which yours is, with vertical reeds. The 1750's were iron sleeves and weighed 20 lbs more. Other than heads, it looks like a 1978 200 HP Hi Performance Off Shore.

777 racing
08-03-2012, 04:23 AM
any one know where I could get hold of a set of carbie velocicy stacks as pictured on this engine.
thanks Joe

Schiada
08-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Here you go!
http://www.bobsmachine.com/Products/engine_velocityStack.cfm

777 racing
08-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks Schiada for your information I've sent Bobs an email today.
Thanks again Joe.

MooreRacing
08-03-2012, 09:23 PM
WOW...ok

After all that, and all the questions I asked....nothing, no replys, not even an "UP-YERS"!

Ok did I miss something, "F" the dumb kid....did...I....say something wrong, or too dumb?

....Well I gave up on replys, so I called Ron Hill today and he was a HUGE help!

He gave me the names of two shops, lots of sound advice, and most importantly was completely friendly about it! Never once treated me like I was wasting his time!

Thanks Ron! .....Brother you've got the stuff!

-Luke

Schiada
08-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Not cool! :mad:

Call.
Dick Sherrer Marine Inc
(562) 868-9809 12328 Firestone Blvd, Norwalk, CA

If it was built by Mercury he has worked on it or sold it!

From my point of view,this motor is a ???? ,a lot of Merc parts.

P.S. Your missing a bolt on the shift bracket and it needs a chock system. Must be a bitch to start cold?

MooreRacing
08-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Not cool! :mad:

Call.
Dick Sherrer Marine Inc
(562) 868-9809 12328 Firestone Blvd, Norwalk, CA

If it was built by Mercury he has worked on it or sold it!

From my point of view,this motor is a ???? ,a lot of Merc parts.

Thanks for the Help Schiada...

I never really needed to know what it was, I know what it is, I just always have to defend that to EVERYONE before I can get any help! The reason the thread got started, and well put in the "Tech" section, I need it fixed! I needed to know if there were any LOCAL shops in Nor.Cal that folks trusted.... Well and just some trick,tips, and pointers. I know I could research on the web, spend hours reading page, after page, after page....but I thought maybe some folks on here would answer some questions and save me the time!

...I don't get the "NO, look it up yourself" thing....if that's what it is! If I knew the answer to another Boater's question I just give it to him, free of charge even! Hell I'd just be happy someone wanted to listen to ME for a change!

Thanks again to the few fella's that did put their "Two-bits" in!

Schiada
08-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I get motors like this in my shop from time to time.

Lots of merc parts,and NO where to start! They tell me " just get it to run." I ask ,run? or run right!

The reed system on this motor can't flow what will be needed to make 250HP.

The problem with you getting any ,what to do info is,where do we start?

Their was a shop in SF called PSA Marine,but I think it is gone? I think Paul would have said the same thing?

You can bring it to me,and I will put it on the Dyno for free, but I'm in Glendale AZ. I don't think you would like what it would tell you?

But what will the timing need to be?

What is it jetted for? With just the staks that has changed.

What are you going to use for fuel? With a .100 cut on the heads you may have to much compression!!! = KNOCK!:eek:

We have a big problem on the 2.4 and 2.5 with KNOCK from 3200 to 5100rpm and heavy loads. And that is with a STD motor.A lot of games were needed to get that under control.

You have asked how far is UP!

Sorry

MooreRacing
08-03-2012, 11:50 PM
I get motors like this in my shop from time to time.

Lots of merc parts,and NO where to start! They tell me " just get it to run." I ask ,run? or run right!

The reed system on this motor can't flow what will be needed to make 250HP.

The problem with you getting any ,what to do info is,where do we start?

Their was a shop in SF called PSA Marine,but I think it is gone? I think Paul would have said the same thing?

You can bring it to me,and I will put it on the Dyno for free, but I'm in Glendale AZ. I don't think you would like what it would tell you?

But what will the timing need to be?

What is it jetted for? With just the staks that has changed.

What are you going to use for fuel? With a .100 cut on the heads you may have to much compression!!! = KNOCK!:eek:

We have a big problem on the 2.4 and 2.5 with KNOCK from 3200 to 5100rpm and heavy loads. And that is with a STD motor.A lot of games were needed to get that under control.

You have asked how far is UP!

Sorry

Actually, I didn't ask how far is up... I asked a list of specific questions on page #2 that I did not think were all that far out in left field, I also explaned on page #2 EXACTLY what was changed from stock....and the heads were NOT one of them! I also, some where in between the pic's I posted, mentioned the fact of the CHOKE PLATE being removed would aid in hard starts! I also can't believe we are still debaiting over the block size?????? Really?

...what do I have to gain from it? So some one here might think I was cool? I'm sure what ever I "THINK" I have is FREAKING NOTHING compared to what most on here have seen, heard, raced, or owned! I DON"T RACE, I'm hot a threat! I'm not try'n to impress anyone!

...Look, I'm a jerk, I'm stupid, I don't know what I'm talking about.... I lied!

You all WIN!!!

I made up the intire thing to try and impress peolpe with my "SECERT 2.4"..sorry 2.0

YOUR RIGHT! It's just a 175 or 200...what ever works! The question still remains.... Let me brake it down....If I used the linkage timing for a "175" on a "200", etc..etc.. would it work? Just hummor me...

and... as for jets.... awe...nevermind!

I will bow-out of this thread!

Apperantly I don't get it! I've been a Union Millwright for 20yrs, Raced Desert on two wheels my whole child hood, have AND work on Harleys, Jeeps, boats, and VW's

.....but can't figure out how to get past the freakn "is it real" issue, and move past the "I'm stupid" thing! I listen well, and have understanding...if someone would've taken a min. to just work it out!

"I wouldn't like what you'd tell me" .....REALLY, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME! ...was that suppose to be a jab at me?

I'M DONE!

Schiada
08-04-2012, 07:17 AM
:(I give up. You just don't get it.

Popa Sam
08-04-2012, 09:03 AM
First off I agree with Austin that these motors did exist from Mercury. I would think the problem you are having with the idle is the stator. You said you have a manual so do a resistance check. I'm saying this assuming that the carbs are clean and the compression is even. Based on pictures I would check the bottom crankshaft seals. I worked on one of these that belonged to US customs when it was practically new. It was very hard to start when cold. Finally determined it was due to starter not turning motor fast enough. Wrong ratio between starter drive and flywheel ring gear. Mercury sent a new starter and flywheel with different ratio and cured the problem. Unfortunantly I don't remember what the bad or good ratio was. If you have a way to check the cranking RPM and it's not above 300 RPM it will be difficult if not impossible to start. Hope this helps.

Schiada
08-04-2012, 11:25 AM
This is from Mercnet.(Dealer only)

0509047 Model Nbr. 1200628 ( the 200 ,in this number is what HP the motor is.)

No active registration available

Date 10/03/1983 unidentifi

From EPC (1978 to 1988)

The dealer never put your dads name in the system.

Reeds ,if plastic replace . If SS just inspect for cracks,replace as needed.
So repair the bolt hole.
Get new head bolts from Merc.
Set the motor up as a carb 200. Your will need to rejet for the missing air box.
Test the compression if over 120 LBS,get 105+ racing fuel,don't forget the oil.
Without a advance Mod,set the timing to not more than 21deg.At WOT.
As for the hard start,build a choke system.
Stator ? Can mess with the idle but??? Do electric test.

Now here is a Frinkin-motor. Lots of Mercury Parts.
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/schiadab85/DSC05234.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/schiadab85/DSC05237.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/schiadab85/DSC05235.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/schiadab85/DSC05237.jpg

john miffco
08-04-2012, 12:04 PM
there u go
been reading these replys
and knew a dealer or a merc historian would come up
and tell u what u had
as i stated im not a historian
definately belive austin and schiada on knowing that motor
also know it wouldnet be over 200 hp
with the 150/175 vertical reed set up
as when the 225 came in 80 they had the large
horizonal 14 pedal reeds and the big wh-20 carbs
so that would bumpit from 200 to 225

i be u would be talking nice to schiada
and getting them carbs from him,,,
they are the hp 1s with slosh tubes and baffles
and have a primer system to make it easy to start
and listen to his suggestions on tune
john

fyremanbill
08-04-2012, 10:37 PM
R Austin on last page has it perfectly correct...IT IS an early hi perf. 2.4 200hp with mods.
It's a high perf version because it has an aluminum flywheel, unpainted heads and exhaust cover plate, and the light weight cowling. The cowl looks correct for the year...they did put them on some 2 peice adapter plates...I had one like that.
With the heads cut and the other stuff, the dealer or someone at merc probably decided it would make "about" 250hp and thats were that came from.
Make a primer system like on your 86 2.4 and that will fix your cold start problem. Everything else you have been told about what to check is correct.

LakeRacer99
08-20-2012, 12:02 PM
I didn't read all the posts here...but I agree with Fyremanbill....That looks to be a 1978 Offshore motor from Hi-Perf. Not very many originals around. There is one local to me and I think I have the 1978 advertisement for them. Originally the gearcase was not a lwpu (offshore). Too bad you don't have the cowl anymore. Also the prop looks like a yammy cleaver with a bent edge. I am pretty sure the velocity stacks were standard on the carbs too.
Sorry, i know it doesn't help your running problems. But positive ID helps. Cool Motor!

MooreRacing
08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
I didn't read all the posts here...but I agree with Fyremanbill....That looks to be a 1978 Offshore motor from Hi-Perf. Not very many originals around. There is one local to me and I think I have the 1978 advertisement for them. Originally the gearcase was not a lwpu (offshore). Too bad you don't have the cowl anymore. Also the prop looks like a yammy cleaver with a bent edge. I am pretty sure the velocity stacks were standard on the carbs too.
Sorry, i know it doesn't help your running problems. But positive ID helps. Cool Motor!

Thanks Brother! It's been a long time come'n to find someone out there that has seen one before! I spend more time try'n to prove what it is, then time fixing it when I 'm having problems.... There are a few changes I've made, the V-stacks are Bob's Mach. it came with a choke plate org. and the lower unit is off of my 200...I put the nose cone on it myself! The prop is one of Mr. Hill's, when my Dad bought it new it came with a cleaver that I still have... The cowling makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about lose'n it, it happened the FIRST time I took it out 13yrs ago! I have found more pictures with close-ups of the cowling showing the front and front corner, you can see where it says "MERC" and "BLACKMAX" but can't see the rest of the decals...but I'm working on that!

.....as for the problems, I decided to start at square one! Right now I'm in the process of new rings and reeds(they were bad) and a new trigger(wires were bad)! I also found a jet that had backed itself out and was floating around the bowl! So like I said, I'm starting with the basics and once I get it freshened-up....I don't think I'll have to many problems left! Just the things I found in tear-down were causing most of my problems!

Oh, and if you get a chance... I'd LOVE to see that add! PLUS, I found a company in Canada that re-pops the old 70's 2.4 all red decals that read "MERC" not "Mercury" like for the T3 1750sx and the early Formula cowlings, and the one I'm missing! The picture below I got off of the internet, my cowling was close to this but said "offshore" where this one says "Formula".....I think that's were it said it, Hell people have been telling me NO for so long, I'm starting to have trouble remembering what it said!

LakeRacer99
08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Look up Parker Rabe on screamandfly or here,,,I think he talked about having these decals reproduced a few years back. I scanned some of his dads old pics and there were a few of these motors at his dealership back in the good ole days. I was wanting to make them as well. I would still be interested in a set if you find someone making them - The Formula ones.

fyremanbill
08-20-2012, 03:18 PM
If you bought a replacement set of decals from Merc back when they were still available, they had little decals to cover the "formula" with offshore, Mod VP, 2.4, 2.0, etc. I still have half a set of the rainbow color decals from the mid 80's .

MooreRacing
08-20-2012, 03:52 PM
If you bought a replacement set of decals from Merc back when they were still available, they had little decals to cover the "formula" with offshore, Mod VP, 2.4, 2.0, etc. I still have half a set of the rainbow color decals from the mid 80's .

You my friend.........are a god sent! That proves what most said wasn't possible! The fact that my cowl said 2.4, Blackmax, and OFFSHORE! ...and like I said, had "MERC" not "Mercury" on it!

....now comes the hard part for me, it doesn't taste good to say this but......I was WRONG about one thing, it didn't say "250" on it! It freaking kills me to say it, but I just talked to my Dad and explained what was going on, and the reason I needed more pictures of the motor. He said to the best of his memory it never said 250hp on the cowling, it was "Advertised" at being 250hp.... Guess I heard him say it so much, I thought it said it on the cowling! Guess now I just discredited my memory! ....well I don't know what to say, other than sorry! I swore it had the 250 on the back of the cowling, guess I'll never know! I can say this, if Mercury placed HP rating at the Power-Head in the 70's and later at the prop in the 80's, maybe my "Advertised" 250hp would just be what turned into the 225 motors? I know, I might be grasp'n at straws, but it was just a thought.

When I get home tonight I'll post some of the info I have found these past weeks about the early 2.4's, maybe it might help some one else out one of these days too!

MooreRacing
08-21-2012, 07:40 AM
WOW, I guess I didn't really pay attention when I first found this, but the link was right here on BRF! (Found it on google, not by searching this site)

This is one of the guys making stickers-n-cowls for the 1750sx, Early Formula, Early Drag, etc.......

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10942

MooreRacing
08-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Here's a picture from the link above ^^^^^^^^^

Looks like clean work!