PDA

View Full Version : battery

ultrafast30
09-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I am starting to rig my 13 Alison. 56 inch omc with 150 PS I compression. considering a jet ski battery to save weight and space. anybody got any suggestions for this one.
Thanks

Mark75H
09-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I have used the Odyssey 680 with a lot of success on an inline 6 with very, very high compression - 275 psi. A few guys in APBA 850 hydro running the 49 ci triples also use the 680

Gene East
09-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Dave Mason is on this web site.

He's a boat racer and a battery manufacturer. Usually can find him on the pro, modified, stock threads or on the NBRA thread.

Best sourse of light weight H.D. batteries that I know of!

Good luck!

sharpeye Mike
09-03-2012, 06:04 PM
If your budget is tight, a lawn tractor battery works, I've been using one for three years now.
Mike

wolfgang
09-04-2012, 01:10 AM
I had the same thought and bought an Odyssey 680 for my `98 Force 4-cylinder (has Mercury electronics), only to be advised by CDI technical boffins upon later (stupid me) enquiry that they do not recommend the use of closed-cell batteries with modern outboard electronics.
As Odyssey lists jetskis in their applications (by model) and there is (to my knowledge) no difference between a jetski and an outboard powerplant, this statement has me flummoxed.
Can anybody share his superior knowledge on this issue please?

byrdsperformance@tds.net
09-04-2012, 01:33 AM
The main issue is CCA. The higher CCA. lawn & garden battery will do the job.
The smaller CCA. wont make a season in ower lawn mower's.
You mite conisider a barille, they cost more but are hi CCA. an very lite.

David Mason
09-05-2012, 01:18 PM
You can use a Jet Ski battery. It really depends on how you intend to use it. Do you have any acessories you plan to run off the battery, in addition to cranking the engine ?

And here is some news, we are experiemnting with some very new technology in the "Jet Ski" sized batteries. A few of the Mod Folks within the NBRA are using this new technology and it seems to be working out so far. I think a couple of the stock contingent within the NBRA are using this as the starter battery as well. A lot of our batteries are on these go cart style starters within the APBA and NBRA.
While we don't ultimately manufacture these, we do provide direction to some factories as to what works, and what direction folks are wanting to go. My dad, Lyle, is the guru on batteries. If you want to get hold of him let me know, I can provide his cell phone number.

No matter what you decide on, if you do decide to go with a smaller motorcyle type battery, it will not provide you with a large number of starts before you need to charge it. Also, I would not expect it to last more than the season, as they really are not intended for this type of use. I would say for cruising on the lake go another route. If you are racing the rig and only need a few starts in the day, go for it.

Powerabout
09-05-2012, 04:14 PM
How about he issue if you have an unregulated charging system

ultrafast30
09-05-2012, 05:02 PM
I am definately using this boat as a play boat. I just hate to add all the weight. I just Need to get to the sandbar! God forbid if I have to be towed home by a Mercury!

sharpeye Mike
09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Unless you are using all kinds of electronics in your boat, I really don't see any problems running a lawn tractor battery. I am on my third year using one and this is the first year that I had to charge it in between season.
Mike

byrdsperformance@tds.net
09-06-2012, 02:40 AM
As i eariier said be sure your get the higher CCA battery.
They sell a cheaper lower CCA.
As long as all is up to par electric's, fuel, choke ect. you should be good to go an,
not have to be druged home by a black head !!! oop's

wolfgang
09-06-2012, 02:50 AM
So I can use the Odyssey 680 after all! Thanks to y.ou all`s contributions. Rgds

David Mason
09-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Lawn/Riding Mower battery VS Motorcyle Type

The riding lawnmower type batteries are definately better than some motorcyle type batteries. Honestly though, don't confuse physical size with power in a battery. Also, there is a HUGE difference in ratings. Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) is rated below freezing. Cranking Amps (CA) is rated at 80 degrees. Most of your marine batteries are rated at cranking amps and not CCA. Hence in the winter they won't perform as well as a CCA rated battery of the same amps.

When you look for your smaller battery, remember one thing, if they are cramming a lot of CCA or CA into a small battery, it leaves little room for reserve. This means it will spin it over fast, but if you have to crank a while, and then go back and crank again, it won't last long.

If you have a charging system on the engine, for your project, run it out to the sandbar, you should be okay. But for your first run or two I would take along a spare maring cranking battery until you figure out how long that little one will last.

Fastjeff57
09-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I had a carb problem with one of my Merc triples and must have restarted it 30 times before getting back in from the center of the lake--why do they always die in the CENTE of the darn lake? Anyways, I use a standard size lawn mower battery and it was still cranking fine.

Jeff

ultrafast30
09-06-2012, 02:58 PM
MERCURY? What is the old saying - If you wanna go fast buy a merc, If you wanna get back buy a Johnson!!

speedfreak
10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Shorai Lithium Iron Phosphate battery is the ultimate in weight versus power technology. This battery weighs in at only 4.96 pounds and offers an incredible 540 C.C.A. This is a drop in replacement for your Lead-acid battery, and will require no change to your stock charging system, 36 AH 12 Volt. $315.00

It's pricy! But I considered it cheap HP.

phillnjack
06-09-2013, 02:18 PM
MERCURY? What is the old saying - If you wanna go fast buy a merc, If you wanna get back buy a Johnson!!

and just refuse a tow by a chrysler at all costs ha ha

Fastjeff57
06-12-2013, 03:41 AM
My buddy's Merc died in the miiddle of the river and he had to be towed in by a ....Jetski!

He'll never live that down.

Jeff

wolfgang
06-12-2013, 03:58 AM
My buddy's Merc died in the miiddle of the river and he had to be towed in by a ....Jetski!

He'll never live that down.

Jeff

Most likely with a Chrysler powerhead LOL

Fastjeff57
06-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Unfortunately, not. One of those lamentable Merc 40 twins. Ugh! Water in the lower cylinder due to a cracked block.

Jeff

PS: Ironically, he's now running a Chrysler 50 hp and it works very well!

phillnjack
06-12-2013, 05:21 AM
ive heard its now law that if you get towed in by a jet-ski you have to give up boating !!!!!!!!!
i would just say no i was not being towed, i was infact pushing the jet-ski ..ha ha ha