PDA

View Full Version : omc race v4

calvin
09-03-2012, 04:51 PM
What was the difference between the evinrude strangler and super srtangler?

Mark75H
09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
The Super Strangler had the 8 throat diaphragm carbs and the up/down mid section

Bill Gohr
09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
2 totally different engines, the strangler, has 2 2bbl carbs, battery ignition, there were 2 or 3 different center sections, The super starngler, had CD ignition, better internal components, hydraulic up/down, 8bbl carb, a much better engine

brichter
09-07-2012, 05:42 PM
What was the difference between the evinrude strangler and super srtangler?
The above is correct, actually the first v4 race motor was the Johnson GT115/Evinrude X115 (model # GT10S) introduced in 67, then OMC spent 2 years prototyping before introducing the Stinger/SS (Model # KC13R), then a year of prototyping again before introducing the Stinger GP/Super Strangler (model KR15M).

Horsepower wasn't officially rated on any of these but the grapevine reports I had seen and heard were:

GT10S-116
KC13R-128
KR15M-155

-at the crank.

KR15M had forged cranks and pistons and added rollers to the bearings which really added durability. GTs and KCs had a lot of issues with cast cranks and heavy cast pistons with snap ring clips and ring dowels that would work their way out.

Steve Pinson
09-14-2012, 11:21 AM
The above is correct, actually the first v4 race motor was the Johnson GT115/Evinrude X115 (model # GT10S) introduced in 67, then OMC spent 2 years prototyping before introducing the Stinger/SS (Model # KC13R), then a year of prototyping again before introducing the Stinger GP/Super Strangler (model KR15M).

Horsepower wasn't officially rated on any of these but the grapevine reports I had seen and heard were:

GT10S-116
KC13R-128
KR15M-155

-at the crank.

KR15M had forged cranks and pistons and added rollers to the bearings which really added durability. GTs and KCs had a lot of issues with cast cranks and heavy cast pistons with snap ring clips and ring dowels that would work their way out. I raced OMC V4 engines from 1970-1975 in Europe and can remember the 8 carb set up coming out.I was told a Dr Hurlec in the UK had developed these for OMC along with other ideas and was told OMC paid him a retainer for his development work.I can remember Hurlec had been working on a V4 that developed its power low down no more than 5000rpm`a friend of mine Andy Bullen ran the powerhead at the Windemere 3hr race in 1974 on a Couger raceboat it went ok followed the pack round 4th or 5th maybe.I would describe Hurlec as looking like the DOC from BACK TO THE FUTURE saw him with Charlie Strang and Jack Leek a few times at the big international races.Maybe someone like Jim Nerstrom may know more about this?.

ponyboy
10-05-2012, 04:59 PM
A friend of mine has a few. a pic will tell the story

Ron Hill
10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
2 totally different engines, the strangler, has 2 2bbl carbs, battery ignition, there were 2 or 3 different center sections, The Super Strangler, had CD ignition, better internal components, hydraulic up/down, 8bbl carb, a much better engine

I was under the impression that th Super Strangler's crankshaft was larger in the top journal. Was the only difference one was cast and one was forged????

I ran my Super Strangler on my 17 foot Scotti, three Parker 9 Hours in a row...27 race hours. We replaced the crank after the third Enduro, but that was all.

We won our class twice and think we had a third once...All were top ten finishes...

I never understood how the 8 barrel carbs worked, except to say they worked well.

ADD:

The Up and Down was so cool.....You'd come off a corner with an inboard, and you'd run the engine up all the way (one inch) to keep up off the corner (Keeping the motor on the pipe). Then, the inboard would start to "pull you" and you could lower the engine, and "WAM"....about 10 MPH gain...Jump from say 95 MPH to 105 MPH and just "Blow By" those inboards...It would be like "Adios Mother F.......er..."....Inboarders hated outboarders in those days because we usually won!!!!

Bill Gohr
10-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Yes, the KR crank is bigger, it has larger mains and rod journals, I have Tigers "Virgin" KR15M which I am restoring begining next week, I will take pics. The 8bbl worked just like todays watercraft pumper carbs, like a Mikuni "BN"

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I raced OMC V4 engines from 1970-1975 in Europe and can remember the 8 carb set up coming out.I was told a Dr Hurlec in the UK had developed these for OMC along with other ideas and was told OMC paid him a retainer for his development work.I can remember Hurlec had been working on a V4 that developed its power low down no more than 5000rpm`a friend of mine Andy Bullen ran the powerhead at the Windemere 3hr race in 1974 on a Couger raceboat it went ok followed the pack round 4th or 5th maybe.I would describe Hurlec as looking like the DOC from BACK TO THE FUTURE saw him with Charlie Strang and Jack Leek a few times at the big international races.Maybe someone like Jim Nerstrom may know more about this?.

Actually, the 8 barrel carbs were designed by Clarence Blanchard although Dr. Erlich was involved in many OMC design projects but not these carbs.

brichter
10-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Actually, the 8 barrel carbs were designed by Clarence Blanchard although Dr. Erlich was involved in many OMC design projects but not these carbs.
Here are both cranks, KR is the one without the lower bearing head.
Kr was a 16 roller and the KC was a 14.
The KC one in the picture is new and its forged but every original KC I have taken apart had a cast crank. I think the service Cranks were forged because there was a breakage issue.

I worked with Clarence Blanchard on some projects, probably the most talented designer I have ever known.
Very creative with concept sketches, also made some unbelievable bird carvings.

Steve Pinson
10-13-2012, 04:25 AM

Nice to know there is someone still around to answer these questions`how many european races did you race for OMC and did you race the later V6 engines?

Bill Gohr
11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Ron, this is the thread I was talking about.

Billy, the KR came with 18 needles and the KC 16

So what ws the correct color for the KR engines, I've heard of 3 and I just painted everything so................

brichter
09-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Ron, this is the thread I was talking about.

Billy, the KR came with 18 needles and the KC 16

So what ws the correct color for the KR engines, I've heard of 3 and I just painted everything so................

Bill, you are right on the needles, I stand corrected. Michael's KR in the pictures has the correct (dark blue) color for the Evinrudes, Johnsons were a dark green.

Haven't been here much the last couple of years thus the slow reply.

stinger
09-28-2014, 10:38 PM
The Kr15 against the SST100 ,what would be the winner?

Old Racer
09-29-2014, 01:50 AM

Kr15 when the eight barrels are all working properly!

Powerabout
09-30-2014, 12:45 AM
sst100 is a stock 140 (but at the prop)
How hard did they rev a KR15?

Old Racer
09-30-2014, 03:08 AM
The owners manual specifies 6400-6800, pretty sure they spun out to 7200 or so.

Old Racer
10-02-2014, 12:34 AM
58553warming up the Kr15 today, beautiful sound.

Powerabout
10-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Is that a Koala in the tree behind, just above the Goanna?

Powerabout
10-02-2014, 05:20 AM
The owners manual specifies 6400-6800, pretty sure they spun out to 7200 or so.
Ok, any modded V4 will do over 7000, a stock 77 140 on a light boat would run to 6400

Old Racer
10-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Is that a Koala in the tree behind, just above the Goanna?

Yea, it's a Koala, but you didn't mention the Roo looking at the Dingoe that treed the Koala.