PDA

View Full Version : Use reed stops or not ??

dart
10-20-2012, 01:23 AM
g,day guys
i have just recently brought some carbon fibre reeds for my 3 carb/3 cylinder 50 hp mercury(tohatsu).
just wandering your thoughts on wheather to use the reed stops or not use them please ?
the pro's and cons of them please ?
do you restrict how much fuel flows to the carbs with having the reed stops in place ?,is this holding back any performance by having them in ?
hope to hear some replies soon
cheers
glen

Tim Kurcz
10-20-2012, 03:34 AM
g,day guys
i have just recently brought some carbon fibre reeds for my 3 carb/3 cylinder 50 hp mercury(tohatsu).
just wandering your thoughts on wheather to use the reed stops or not use them please ?
the pro's and cons of them please ?
do you restrict how much fuel flows to the carbs with having the reed stops in place ?,is this holding back any performance by having them in ?
hope to hear some replies soon
cheers
glen

For engines with pyramid reed blocks it's OK to go without stops IF composite reeds are used. Other style reed blocks (early Mercs) or engines with steel reeds should use stops regardless.

Tim

Fast Fred
10-20-2012, 03:48 AM
what he said, the stops, dampeners, help the steel reed keep it' shape so it does not snap. :cool::cool:

dart
10-20-2012, 05:47 AM
hi guys
thanks for your replies and help!
i have a late model engine,and it has carbon reeds,so is there any perf gain with removing the stops,more opening for fuel to go thru ?
cheers
glen

dart
10-20-2012, 03:34 PM
there any perf gain or loss with removing the stops,more opening for fuel to go thru ?

Tim Kurcz
10-20-2012, 04:52 PM
There are two primary reasons for composite reeds: 1) Improved performance via more responsive petals, and 2) Reduced potential for engine damage when chunks break off.

Tim

dart
10-20-2012, 06:39 PM
yep great thanks time
i removed my stock reed stops today off my carbon reed petals!!
also fitted a 135 size jet for the new expansion pipe for top and middle carb,up from a 132 size jet that they did have ,the lower carb already had a 135 jet from factory!!
should i make idle jet slight richer for the new expansion pipe as well ?
cheers
glen

dog74lover
10-24-2012, 12:52 PM
what he said, the stops, dampeners, help the steel reed keep it' shape so it does not snap. :cool::cool:performance boats (https://www.speedboat.com/digital-magazine/)

Sounds pretty straight forward to me.. :)