PDA

View Full Version : SST 60 Project

johnsonracer
10-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey Guys,

Been working on this project on/off for a while now. Thought I'd share a pic and see what you think!

Hopefully run it in a few weeks, just waiting on a chip to come in for the computer.

ima75man
10-27-2012, 10:42 PM
looks great,like to see the other side

byrdsperformance@tds.net
10-28-2012, 03:03 AM
Very nice, hope you explain motor mod's an post more picture's.
Great looking project.

btw. Look's like a new mod-50 flywheel .

johnsonracer
10-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Very nice, hope you explain motor mod's an post more picture's.
Great looking project.

btw. Look's like a new mod-50 flywheel .

Not a new flywheel no :)

Modifications -

The block is my block I raced for 3 seasons, it managed to win me every race I entered, which was 65 out of 65 :)

Pistons - Flowed piston skirts, finger ported, lightened and balanced, Teflon coated
Block - Decked block to give minimum squish without piston hitting head, sleeves removed to port and flow back of sleeves, block ports all blueprinted, finger ports added, intake ports widened and flowed, crankcase area filled with dev-con to 'stuff' crankcase.
Head - Top of head welded and drilled to 3/8 hole so can run without thermostat. (I changed washers in and out to find the right size to run to get engine temp right) Head machined down to required cc to run 205psi cranking compression. (I will be running 195psi on this motor).
Rods were all lightened and balanced. From memory 30 grams of each rod

Crankcase was matched and flowed to block and reed face was machined down so minimal clearance between rod and reed block.
I used to run boyeson twin stage reeds, this motor I am trying a set of custom single stage reeds from Chris Carson.

There are a couple other mods I have done, but sorry they have to remain Top Secret ;)

Will post some more pics of efi system soon - Hope it works!

Tim Kurcz
10-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Not a new flywheel no :)

Modifications -

The block is my block I raced for 3 seasons, it managed to win me every race I entered, which was 65 out of 65 :)

Pistons - Flowed piston skirts, finger ported, lightened and balanced, Teflon coated
Block - Decked block to give minimum squish without piston hitting head, sleeves removed to port and flow back of sleeves, block ports all blueprinted, finger ports added, intake ports widened and flowed, crankcase area filled with dev-con to 'stuff' crankcase.
Head - Top of head welded and drilled to 3/8 hole so can run without thermostat. (I changed washers in and out to find the right size to run to get engine temp right) Head machined down to required cc to run 205psi cranking compression. (I will be running 195psi on this motor).
Rods were all lightened and balanced. From memory 30 grams of each rod

Crankcase was matched and flowed to block and reed face was machined down so minimal clearance between rod and reed block.
I used to run boyeson twin stage reeds, this motor I am trying a set of custom single stage reeds from Chris Carson.

There are a couple other mods I have done, but sorry they have to remain Top Secret ;)

Will post some more pics of efi system soon - Hope it works!

Question: How did you achieve 195 or 205 PSI cranking compression? Milling pocket depth to .400" means the deck is appx .090" - very thin. Even with stock SST60 porting, the best I've seen is 160-165 PSI with factory combustion pockets.

Anyway, your project looks very cool! Is the FI system your design? It looks great and will be even better if it works!

Tim

johnsonracer
10-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Question: How did you achieve 195 or 205 PSI cranking compression? Milling pocket depth to .400" means the deck is appx .090" - very thin. Even with stock SST60 porting, the best I've seen is 160-165 PSI with factory combustion pockets.

Anyway, your project looks very cool! Is the FI system your design? It looks great and will be even better if it works!

Tim

Hey Tim,

I wont say what the squish and head CC are as some Kiwiland racers might read this, happy to PM tho;)

With that much compression I have had to go to a v6 starter motor to provide fast cranking for beach starts. I didn't want to go to 24v.

I have never had any issues with head gaskets blowing or heads warping. What I will say is if there is any carbon on the top of the piston,
you can see it touching the head!

Might take a video of compression testing when the motors on the boat.

And yes, my desing for the fuel injection set up. I did look at different systems to get ideas, but designed this for my motor. Had all the parts water jet cut out
then had some milling done to make it work.

ultrafast30
10-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Impressive!! I have done a few injected v6 omc's. Lot less burned pistons. Keep us posted.

johnsonracer
10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Impressive!! I have done a few injected v6 omc's. Lot less burned pistons. Keep us posted.

Awesome! what injection did you use? Did you notice a power increase? I am looking at building a 2.6etc block with mercury injection...

johnsonracer
10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Here's a couple more photo's

Tim Kurcz
10-30-2012, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=johnsonracer;125982]Here's a couple more photo's

The throttle body looks great. Where is the injection plume aimed?

Tim

johnsonracer
10-30-2012, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Where is the injection plume aimed?

Tim

I aimed it at the bottom of the rods so the big ends will get good lubrication. The timing of the ignition that will drive the injectors means the injectors will fire as the pistons have just started the up stroke so the air will already be traveling into the crankcase.

I pretty much put them in the same place Mercury put its 2l and 2.5l injectors on their race motors.

Fast Fred
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
impressive:cool:

Tim Kurcz
10-30-2012, 04:53 PM
impressive:cool:

Ditto! Wishing you good luck with the integration.

ultrafast30
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
I have used several SDS systems. Very basic. Very impressive performance. A carb motor might run on top with an injected motor But the midrange and bottom end are totally new, and consistant!! Runs good every time. Impressed with your design. Gaylen Burden did some of the same and so did Wayne Taylor. Check out Madefi.com. Wayne has passed but he was a genious, and so was Gaylen. I learned more from each of them in a 10 min conversation than a semester in college!!

johnsonracer
11-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I have used several SDS systems. Very basic. Very impressive performance. A carb motor might run on top with an injected motor But the midrange and bottom end are totally new, and consistant!! Runs good every time. Impressed with your design. Gaylen Burden did some of the same and so did Wayne Taylor. Check out Madefi.com. Wayne has passed but he was a genious, and so was Gaylen. I learned more from each of them in a 10 min conversation than a semester in college!!

I heard bits and pieces about Wayne Taylor, sounds like it was a huge loss to see him pass... Lucky you got to get some of his knowledge!

I can't wait to fire it up and see if it runs, and hopefully how it runs :)

Jackson
11-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Have you ran it yet?

johnsonracer
11-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Have you ran it yet?

No not yet, motor is already, injection harness and wiring loom etc all done. My boat is at a mates in storage, I am away for a week then I hope to modify fuel system in boat for the fuel injection and fit powerhead / computer etc...

Also still waiting on the chip.

camohunter
05-28-2015, 08:10 AM
I been interested in this thread for a while. Any updates?

Mumat
06-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Have you put fuel to this yet love to see/hear it run the EFI should make it a sweet running motor.

NordicViking
07-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Really impressive and interesting to read! :)

Any updates?