PDA

View Full Version : 2013 National Pepper Association Rules

Ron Hill
12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
As the current President of the National Pepper Association, I need to remind all members that their 2013 dues are due as of 12/31/2012. If you wish to keep your Fiefdom in tact, sent you 2013 dues to:

Ron Hill
National Pepper Association
2683 Halladay Street
Santa Ana, CA 92705

Make your $100 annaul dues check payable to: National Pepper Association.

Rules Meeting for the 2013 Pepper Season is coming up in January and our usual location Needles, California, home of Spike (Snoopy's brother). The National Pepper Association will have a "FREE RIDE", Jimmy Joe Cox will give you a free ride from the Red Dog Bar. At the end of each day's meetings, the Red Dog will be open to all National Pepper Association Members. The NPA will pick up the tab for all members, but you must sign the releases of liability and and agree to be driven to your trailer, as we don't want to have a liability problem because we offer free drinks.

Region 8 has not elected a new Chairman for 2013. Maybe they need a "PEPPER SCHOOL" up there. Or maybe it is just too cold to grow peppers in Minnesota!

See you at the National Meeting January, 19-23, 2013. Meeting is at the Needles Country Club. (Everyone in Needles knows where that is).

Bunker Hill
12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
How does a club go about securing funds for officially approved Pepper Association tasting equipment for our school that we are in the process of starting??

Ron Hill
12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Most local clubs should have plenty of money for things like this. But I will check with the Historical Society and see what funds are available. Their cut off date for 2013 funds was probably last January 15th. Again, I'll check for you!

What specific tools do you need? Green Bells are still on Probationary Status, so they don't get points, and don't need inspection. But they can be included inall events and no additional insurance charge!

Bunker Hill
12-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I have heard terrible rumors that the NAPA (North American Pepper Association) was also considering, under probationary circumstances, allowing "Hot House" peppers!! What's next!!!??

russhill
12-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Ron, why are you having the annual dues sent to you? I am the duly elected treasurer. The Dues should go to me at National Pepper Assn., PO Box 4191, Seal Beach, CA 90740.

Who's handling the Tee shirts this year? We need to place more emphasis on Tee Shirts, and worry less about things like insurance; however I do understand that NAPA (North American Pepper Assn) claims they can get the same coverage we have for less. I'd also like to see the following on the agenda :
• Illegal Foreign (Mexican) peppers,
• Trying to achieve parity with the use of restrictor plates,
• Attract new blood into the organization, and
• The issue of retaining a consulting firm

Bill Van Steenwyk
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Ron, why are you having the annual dues sent to you? I am the duly elected treasurer. The Dues should go to me at National Pepper Assn., PO Box 4191, Seal Beach, CA 90740.

Who's handling the Tee shirts this year? We need to place more emphasis on Tee Shirts, and worry less about things like insurance; however I do understand that NAPA (North American Pepper Assn) claims they can get the same coverage we have for less. I'd also like to see the following on the agenda :
• Illegal Foreign (Mexican) peppers,
• Trying to achieve parity with the use of restrictor plates,
• Attract new blood into the organization, and
• The issue of retaining a consulting firm

BUT...............What are the opportunity's for an affiliation with the NPA by a group from the midwest that have some of the same concerns listed above by illegal horse radish growers, importers, pickers, and also the consulting firm issue. Maybe like the different categories in some boat racing organizations?

I realize that we are talking about two different plants/vegetables? here, but since the area around St. Louis, (primarily on the Illinois side with the shady influence that implies) is full of growers of the product, and it is widely distributed and known for its quality, it would seem there would be shared concerns, especially since both products are used in some of the same ways.

What is required for this type affiliation? Is there any certain number required to cross the road to storage from where grown, and would any records established for the class prior to acceptance be allowed to be canceled so new records could be accepted even though the class was dormant for a time and then came back? This would allow more acceptance into the HRHOF. (HorseRadishHallofFame)

Many questions need answers, but since we have not gotten the funds together to hire the consulting firm you mention, is there any way we could be considered, since both are "hot stuff"?

Ron Hill
12-13-2012, 09:44 PM
The trouble as i see it, this grow from the St. Louis area probably out number the PEPPER PEOPLE and if we allowed then membership in the NPA, they could take control I'm sure the Pepper People aren't anxious to give control to a bunch of Horseradish Growers. Maybe, we can let them join, but not allow them to have a vote and the way we do things.

Bill Van Steenwyk
12-13-2012, 10:04 PM
The trouble as i see it, this grow from the St. Louis area probably out number the PEPPER PEOPLE and if we allowed then membership in the NPA, they could take control I'm sure the Pepper People aren't anxious to give control to a bunch of Horseradish Growers. Maybe, we can let them join, but not allow them to have a vote and the way we do things.

The way I see it, that would be paying dues with no representation, and that is what that "Tea Party" stuff was all about.

I think I will get Wayne Baldwin involved in this conversation, as he is THE pepper expert as far as I am concerned. I still have a brown spot by my mail box where the lizard dumped after eating some of the ones he sent me a few months ago. Grass will probably never grow there again.

Funny what some vegetables can get started, ain't it??

I think I will just get back in boat racing. Those organizations are a lot more fun!! Only problem about one them is you can't get anybody to talk to you, about ANYTHING, whether you pay dues or not.

Bunker Hill
12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Horseradish!! don't even go there!!
you guys don't seem to remember when we had the wasabi conspiracy of '81!! when those guys added wasabi to alter the chemistry of the pepper entries!

Bill Van Steenwyk
12-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Horseradish!! don't even go there!!
you guys don't seem to remember when we had the wasabi conspiracy of '81!! when those guys added wasabi to alter the chemistry of the pepper entries!

What was wasabi?? Any relation to Kemosabi, the masked man's buddy?

I seem to have missed that conspiracy, although in '81 I was still recovering from the '70's.

Tell us MORE, PLEASE! Inquiring minds want to know.

Bunker Hill
12-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Kimosabe was the masked man...
his sidekick, in non-politically correct terms, was known as "Tonto"
Wasabe is Japanese horseradish, and is now, by rule, an illegal additive, it's an oxygenator!

Ron Hill
12-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Wasabi and Horseradish are both part of the mustard family

Over on the LA board, we started to get into the difference between the "hot" sensations of wasabi and peppers.

I know what makes peppers "hot" and that the hot sensation is basically an irritation of the tissues the capsicum comes in contact with (including your hands, eyes, etc. if you aren't careful), which then triggers cleansing responses (runny nose, watery eyes).

But what is the mechanism of the explosive sensation of wasabi going up your nose, into your sinuses?

I'm not sure of the exact mechanism, but wasabi and horseradish are both part of the mustard family, and form various mustard oils when the cells are crushed. Since mustard oils are extrememly volatile, all three condiments affect the nasal passages (in this characteristic, they are similar to onions and garlic). That volatility also accounts for the fact that the heat of wasabi, hot mustard and horseradish disappears so quickly.

Although pure mustard oil will irritate the skin, I think (not sure about this one) that the oils aren't present in high enough concentrations in the condiments we eat to do that.

Mustard sure as hell isn't a PEPPER. Maybe we should let Wasabi and Horseradish be members. We would not let them have top billing at National Pepper Events, but maybe in some farm areas of the mid west we could allow them to take part in NPA events. I'm just speaking for myself here, I don't want to rile anyone or bring 1981 again! We surely would not allow them to vote! Next thing we'd know the NPA would be the National Horseradish Association. (What might happen to our insurnace rate??)

russhill
12-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Well, it all started when nobody wanted to pay the price for stock American peppers. so Japanese imports got involved. Nobody said they weren't of highest quality, readily available, and cheap, but they didn't look like peppers. By the time the purists recognized what was happening, they had developed classes of their on and were pretty much in control. In some cases they even took over existing obsolete pepper classes.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2012, 06:10 PM
And Ron's mention of capsicum triggered a thought for me. The hot in peppers is a mechanical operation. That is, you bite it, chew it and your mouth gets hot. Or you pick it up, chop it up, and scratch your nose, rub your eye, or do something else with another part of your body without washing your hands, and whatever part you touch starts burning. With horseradish, it can be naturally aspirated to start burning. So this complicates matters. How do you compare inhilation fire, with contact fire. Then to complicate matters further, you have capsicum under pressure, i.e. pepper spray. I can see how turbocharged pepper can be declared illegal, but I was wondering about naturally aspirated horseradish and wasabi.

Bill Van Steenwyk
12-16-2012, 07:16 PM
And Ron's mention of capsicum triggered a thought for me. The hot in peppers is a mechanical operation. That is, you bite it, chew it and your mouth gets hot. Or you pick it up, chop it up, and scratch your nose, rub your eye, or do something else with another part of your body without washing your hands, and whatever part you touch starts burning. With horseradish, it can be naturally aspirated to start burning. So this complicates matters. How do you compare inhilation fire, with contact fire. Then to complicate matters further, you have capsicum under pressure, i.e. pepper spray. I can see how turbocharged pepper can be declared illegal, but I was wondering about naturally aspirated horseradish and wasabi.

Wayne:

Glad you got off your "duff", and decided to participate in this discussion. The reason I suggested your participation was I seem to remember quite a few folks of the opposite sex seemed to think you were quite "Hot Stuff" back in the days before you had to wear a hat all the time, or risk damage to other folks vision.

Anyway, I think you need to reconsider your comment about "turbocharged pepper", as pepper spray could hardly be considered to be turbocharged. I would think if it were to be disqualified, it would be for the reason it wouldfall under the rule prohibiting any fuel that does not exist as a liquid at normal atmospheric pressure, i.e. Nitrous Oxide for example. I am sure you remember the experiment with that product by Harry and I that then resulted in the rule being passed that prohibited it in the PRO category.

Anyway, glad to see you at the keyboard again. The "Baldy" thread is way long overdue for some new posts.

Have a good Holiday.

Bill

Ron Hill
12-16-2012, 07:37 PM
This is the season for "FOLLY", but these rules need to be straighten out before the 2013 season.

You mention "HARRY" as in Bartolmei? I know "NITRO" turned my 500 CC Konig of Harry's into a fire eating dragon....Pretty sure we had no peppers or horseradish. Pure NITROMethane.

What we need is a "GOOD MEETING" maybe with some chicken and brats and some beers. It is hard to get these rules sorted out over the net.Oh, I forgot, the National Meeting is in Needles, January 19-23, 2013.

Bill Van Steenwyk
12-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Pasturczak, or ZAK as he was more well known. He made for me in the late 70's, at my urging, a special "manifold" that fit between the carbs and the rotary valve housing on my C&D Konigs, that allowed me to inject nitrous and also methanol along with it as without extra fuel to take advantage of the oxygen contained in the gas you will quickly (not more than a second or so) lean the mixture out and burn and stick pistons. I just ran across the manifold in a box with some other stuff in the basement the other day. Will try to take a photo of it and post it.

A meeting sounds good, especially if there some beers involved, although my capacity is much greatly decreased from my best years. Any successful organization such as the NPA requires much thought regards the rule making process, both to assure success of the organization, and assure fairness of competition. I have found that some of my best thinking occurs when I am so blasted that I cannot think clearly.

If no rules exist for acid reducers/equalizers/neutralizers, that type regulation would be a must I would think, so as to allow fair competition. Rolaids, as you may well be aware, is now almost a restricted product due to the problems in the Mid-East. Most all supplies have been diverted to the war effort there, and resulting stress on our troups, so some exemption should be made when they are again available on the domestic market. This would assure no one guilty of hoarding would have an unfair advantage until a sufficient supply becomes available for all pepper racers.

This would also assure the makers of TUMS did not enjoy a corner on the market and eliminate price gouging and unfair profit margins for their makers.

I would certainly appreciate Waynes, Russ's and your thoughts about this important addition to the rule book.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Looking at this from my past experiences I would say open rules, with two exceptions. No atmospheric pressurized peppers, and no tractor lower units. Other than that classes can be set up by ranges of hotness. I would also add that people like myself like taste better than how hot a pepper is, that step ups into a hotter class might be allowed in local contests. Not every region can handle HOT as Bill Van might attest.

Bill Van Steenwyk
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Looking at this from my past experiences I would say open rules, with two exceptions. No atmospheric pressurized peppers, and no tractor lower units. Other than that classes can be set up by ranges of hotness. I would also add that people like myself like taste better than how hot a pepper is, that step ups into a hotter class might be allowed in local contests. Not every region can handle HOT as Bill Van might attest.

Wayne:

No reason exists for this discussion to become mired in one regions shortcomings versus another's. I refer of course to the comment you made about some regions being able to handle "hot" better than others. If we are going to get down and dirty about this, remember I knew you when you did not have to wear a hat all the time.

Also if there are to be rules regards "step ups", I think it only fair that "step down's" be allowed also. Some of us have digestive tracts more refined and sensitive than others, and that should be taken into account to be fair to all in the rule making process.

One other thought:

What about insurance??

Ron Hill
12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
What would suggest in "Step Downs"? If don't finish in the to five, then you could step down, but not get points. This have to go to a "COMMITTEE" and discussed at length. We used to let the top three "Step Up", maybe allowing the bottom three to "Step Down" would be the way. You could mix the pepers...Black pepper and Green Bells would never mix. Having said that, I know my brother, Russ, want no part of Green Bells in NPA, especially no voting rights! There are just too many Green Bells out there, they could take over.

Bill Van Steenwyk
12-17-2012, 12:06 AM
What would suggest in "Step Downs"? If don't finish in the to five, then you could step down, but not get points. This have to go to a "COMMITTEE" and discussed at length. We used to let the top three "Step Up", maybe allowing the bottom three to "Step Down" would be the way. You could mix the pepers...Black pepper and Green Bells would never mix. Having said that, I know my brother, Russ, want no part of Green Bells in NPA, especially no voting rights! There are just too many Green Bells out there, they could take over.

Not to get too "hot and bothered" about this, but we really need to think about insurance and associated costs for same. Insurance has the possibility to be a real revenue generator for the association. and premium increases are almost automatic with very little explanation necessary Also the red pepper category can always blame the rise of premium on a pepper that did not have radio communication from field to pepper after picked, and was more prone to accident. The hotter the pepper, and the faster through the digestive tract,the more chance for injury. Perhaps the premiums could be adjusted for cool to hot, and probabilities for discomfort, with a premium discount if you don't ask any questions about the cost or coverage?

Also "safety" rules can be made by category involved without a vote of the membership. It is very difficult to determine the intelligence/chance of accident quotient between red, green., and other peppers, and most don't care anyway. They just want to race without all the BS.

Also I don't believe it is too early to be thinking about promotional/social activities on the net, as there seems to be some ignorance about the NPA in the population overall. Perhaps a web site kept updated by a young ambitious Executive Director of Hotness? He, or better yet she, should be knowledgeable about all heat ranges though. Maybe name the company in charge be called "Don't ask how hot it is, Cause you don't need to know, Limited. (Ltd)

We need to be thinking more about cash gathering opportunities, and not spend so much time on rules. They kind of make themselves anyway, depending on disqualifications, and reason for same.

We also need a "Big Pepper" to handle protests, disqualifications. illegal or too large for class peppers, etc. Best he (or she) not have too much recent experience in the pepper industry as that would just heat things up in the case of a decision the members disagreed with. Maybe someone who has "been through the pepper mill" so to say.