PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo, The Wizard of OZ

Ron Hill
01-01-2013, 01:00 AM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?120-Jimbo-McConnell-The-Wizard-of-OZ

OZ stood for OUTBOARD "Z" as in th end of the alphabet. Jimbo McConnell probably "Logged in" three hundred hours of testing at over 100 MPH.

Jimbo McConnell was the greatest Outboard driver of his era. The name "JIMBO" was bigger than any Mercury Factory driver's name.

Ron Hill
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
I can't tell if this is Jimbo in this Scotti with the Wankel, of Barry "King" Woods... JIMBO always wore a bubble face shield!

Ron Hill
01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Skoontz's says, "Jimbo's name was always in white on his helmet." I believe that, I also think Jimbo always ran a clear shield.

Rotary John, the boat has Washington registrations numbers......Barry lives in Portland, Oregon, still...So he could have a Washington ID number without much trouble...And I got the picture from margarite Woods...She said it was Barry, now that I think about it.

Nice picture of a Scotti and a Rotary, though, don't you think?

Here is a picture I took of Jimbo, 1963 at Vicotrville, California is his short sponson Sid Craft. I had it in my photography note as an example of an out of focus picture. I got an "A" in the class!

Ron Hill
02-04-2013, 06:42 PM
I got this out of a 1982 Powerboat Magazine...."McConnell, his almost antique Molinari..."

Fred Bowden won MOD VP!

Ron Hill
12-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Hard to say how fast Jimbo is going, but look how blurred the background is!

Ron Hill
03-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Jimbo is 21-C, the boat is a Ted May copy of a Swift. The cool guy with the flat top is me...Black surfer trunks. We raced bare foot in those days!