PDA

View Full Version : Historical literature

Mark75H
01-21-2013, 07:28 AM
I have more literature than I have room for, but unlike many hoarders, I did not acquire my stash to hide it away.

On this thread, I will be posting scans of stuff that I have purchased over the years. Most of it will be for sale for a price within 10% either way of what I paid for it.

Here's the first piece. Its a flyer for a 1942 race in Cleveland ... unusual because there was very little racing at this time during World War II. Paper collectors might be interested in this piece, it appears that the paper did have at least some yellow tint when it was new and it has an element of filler like the silk threads on paper money. I'll ask a print expert about this paper later today if I can remember.

EDIT: I asked about the paper ... its just an element of recycled paper fiber in the paper ... because during the war all good wood and new paper was being used for the war effort. Its a good example of inexpensive paper from 1942. Probably not a lot of this cheap paper left because it has a lot remnant acid from the processing. You can feel it just starting to get brittle, but this piece has a lot of life left in it.

Mark75H
01-21-2013, 07:48 AM
A sales flyer for the short lived Chris-Craft outboard.

Chris-Craft hired away some of Merc's engineers ... who either didn't know or didn't care that the lower unit they knew how to design was patented by Kiekhaefer. Kiekhaefer settled by having Chris-Craft admit the patent infringement and stop selling outboards.

Chris Smith's grandchildren raced the factory racer versions of these motors.

Mark75H
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
That I know of, one of only 2 Merc issued items that mentions the KG9H ... very rare. Must have piece if you are showing a KG9H

Don't forget, in Indiana, it will cost an extra $1.00 delivered

Mark75H
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
A Swift flyer apparently from 1952 ... mentions 1951 racing ... big thing to take note of ... Swift runabout!

Ron Hill
01-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Since I have my new scanner..I can scan so old stuff, well, everything I have is OLD!

Ron Hill
01-21-2013, 06:48 PM
A Swift flyer apparently from 1952 ... mentions 1951 racing ... big thing to take note of ... Swift runabout!

My brother was in the Army when my dad bought the Swift Hydro for "JR." and that was in 1954. Were the C-D-F Hydros called C-D-F-X later, maybe??? I don't see anywhere in the literature the "X" mentioned. My dad bought an A-b Swift about that same time, too! I never got to drive it, he sold it to Jimmy Gordon!

Thanks for posting..Great memories!

Mark78H
01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
That I know of, one of only 2 Merc issued items that mentions the KG9H ... very rare. Must have piece if you are showing a KG9H

Don't forget, in Indiana, it will cost an extra $1.00 delivered

How many kg9H's were made? Were the serials ever recorded?
Thanks

Mark75H
01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Apparently, KG9H numbers were not recorded separately from fishing KG9's. Some number of them would be needed to fill out the "25,000 racing lower units made prior to 1960" Charlie Strang reported during the Chrysler negotiations. Numbers on KG9H's should definitely be in the last 25% of KG9 numbers, not the first 75%.

seacow
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Thank you so much for posting all of this. A real treat!