PDA

View Full Version : Molinari Racing Boat History and Information

Pages : [1] 2

Lars Strom
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
In my opinion the Molinari tunnel boats built at the famous Lake Como in the northern part of Italy is a big part of outboard racing history.

I was to young when tunnel boat racing started but have been told that Dieter Schulze was the first tunnel boat builder and Angelo Molinari started just after.
I am pretty good at Molinari boats in the seventies and the eighty's but not in the sixties. Pretty sure there is plenty of people that can fill in from the sixties.

Molinari switched from Mercury Outboards to Evinrude Outboards late 1976..but please do not make a big deal if those Molinari boats was powered by a Merc in-line 6, V6 or the OMC V-4/V-6/V-8.
There was also plenty of Molinari boats in the OE/F-3 class..
Here is one example..My own black OE/F-3..powered by a Volvo Penta/Konig. The year is 1977.

First a beautiful picture from Lake Como.

Lars Strom
01-30-2013, 06:21 PM
One setback buying a race boat from Molinari was that you have to race him..and Renato always raced the absolutely latest he built..
Yes..he was racing OE/F-3 also.

Lars Strom
01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Racing people has always speculated in how much money OMC paid Molinari to switch from Mercury Racing to Evinrude Racing late 1976.

I think OMC paid him lots of money..

Here is my take why..

January 1 1977 OMC started there own distribution in every country in Europe.
OMC needed something big to get Evinrude/Johnson dealers excited about the new
plan.. OMC Sweden, OMC France, OMC Germany etc.

There was only two big markets in Europe where OMC kept the local distributor..
Ital-Marine was still the Evinrude importer in Italy and a local importer in Spain..
(I think the name was Motomaso)

OMC made a big deal about getting the World famous Italian boat racer/builder at the same time they presented the new OMC in Europe to all the dealers.

We can always guess how many millions of dollars OMC paid..but only Renato knows..!!

Lars Strom
01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Yes..there was a six hour race in Stockholm, Sweden 1968.
3 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday.

The winner was Renato Molinari in his #34 Molinari/Merc
See attached picture..it is Renato on top of the Merc..sorry for Swedish.

Second picture is # 51 Carlo Rosini from Italy. Also in a Molinari /Merc at the Stockholm Six Hours.

Ron Hill
01-30-2013, 09:33 PM

Second picture is # 51 Carlo Rosini from Italy. Also in a Molinari /Merc

I think it is so cool that during this era, Mercury built the motors, but if you wanted to WIN, you ran a Record prop. When I figure out what "RADICE" knew (He built Cary, Rolla and Record props) I will have arrived. Scotti won Havasu 1969 with Record Props. My Record props were 10 MPH faster than OMC's wheels in 1970.

Thanks for posting Lars.

ADD;

Carlo Rosini was a banker! He had the best looking daughter in the world!

Lars Strom
01-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Carlo Corbetta from Brazil in his Molinari/Merc 1000 BP
Year 1972

Lars Strom
01-30-2013, 10:48 PM
The first two pictures:...Two racing buddies..Renato and Bob in Italy
Year 1972

Last picture in this post..# 457 Bob Herring & Renato Molinari at Parker 7 Hour Enduro in 1975.

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 05:41 AM
A new Molinari boat took Cees Van Der Velden & Billy Seebold to the overall victory in the famous Paris Six Hours 1974.

You can read more about my eleven Paris Six Hour races here:
http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Another Swede..Ulf Backman when he wasn't driving his Molinari-Evinrude Ulf was a commercial pilot for SAS..Scandinavien Airlines..

Well..not 100% sure..before my time in racing but I think this is Ulf´s Molinari #24..but it could be his Schulze..I do know the picture is from Paris Six Hours and Ulf drove all the six hours by himself.

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 08:36 AM
A fun memory about a visit to Renato...

I was at the Molinari factory outside Como testing a boat before Paris Six Hours..

Drove my Pontiac Firebird Trans Am from Sweden to Italy..
Renato was not impressed with my loud American Muscle car..!!

Later that day he invited me to his house higher up in the mountains with a view over Lake Como..
(I don't now for sure if this was his only resident I think there was two)

Well..I could not take my car to his place so Renato took me in his brand new white Porsche 911 Turbo..

This ride as a passenger on those narrow mountain roads is hard to forget..!!:)

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
No matter what people say about Renato..He was a very good tunnel boat driver.

This is when he raced in the Unlimited Hydroplane class with 2 X F1-V8 Evinrude racing outbords on a larger Molinari tunnel boat
Take your time an watch this video to the end..click here:..http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5Orgl0t-yGw

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Renato's change from Merc to Evinrude 1977 was very good to him..but bad for other OMC drivers..A big part of the racing budget in Belgium went south to Como..!!:D

His first race for OMC was Parker and Renato and Hering won..I remember getting this black/white picture as a Evinrude dealer in Sweden after the race.
See..The result from the race still said Merc..!!

I have a question..only 53 laps over 7 hours..must be a very large race course..??

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 02:00 PM
More success for Molinari boats Evinrude power in Parker. Famous Ron Hill and the soon to be Merc Racing boss..Fred..
Not sure what year..?? 1978??..but pretty sure Ron used the right propeller..!!:D

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
This is my own notes/memory watching this race from the shoreline in Auronzo, Italy the summer of 1976..

This was also the first and only time I did see Renato Molinari "play tricks", well not really Renato but his second boat driven by Zoppi I think his name was.
Zoppi sank Cees VD Velden in his Velden /Johnson V-6 on "purpose" by running in to his boat at the start of the race.. just in front of us at the far end of the race course.
Velden sank and Molinari ended up winning both OE and ON. Well..not really in a proper way in my opinion.. (ON)

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Not my picture but very interesting..

I young group of very good drivers..Renato to the left, Cees Van Der Velden center and Cesare Scotti to the right..Looks like the AZ desert in the background..maybe not if you look at the truck..Italy??

Lars Strom
01-31-2013, 08:45 PM
"Scafo" (Italian for boat) Molinari/Evinrude V-4..Ron Hill/John Schubert

Paris Six Hours 1970.

Ron Hill
01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
I really didn't care if you had a Merc, a Johnson or an Evinrude, if you wanted to pass me, I wasn't going to be easy. I used to get great pleasure "HOSING" Renato, his little mustache would be drooping when he got by me. About five or six laps in, Scotti decided to take the nose of my boat off and the Statue of Liberty corner, his spray blew my goggle off, but he "HOOKED" up pretty good and got tossed in the River Seine. I drove the rest of that first hour and half leg with no goggles.

T2x
02-01-2013, 07:02 AM
I'm not sure about this but I thought Renato's contract was allowed to expire by Mercury when GG decided to back Seebold and Velden hulls giving them access to boats on both continents without the cost and delays of shipping, and without the best hulls always going to Renato first..... Anyone care to confirm or deny?

Lars Strom
02-01-2013, 08:53 AM
We can only guess and speculate about this T2x,

Renato Molinari is the one that have all the correct answers and I am pretty sure you will never get anything out of him for many reasons.
People that purchased boats directly from him know why..!!
I purchased one of the first OE-F3 boats direct from him after he was the new OMC boat builder early 1977.
(The black boat in the first post here)..

I also know Renato is a very good, smart business man..He speaks pretty good English.. if he have to..

Here is a interesting story in Powerboat & Water-skiing about Velden around the same time.
Just read the story and found Cees talking about my notes from Auronzo 1976..Post #16..
Made a red mark at page 2..

Please..read this long article.. it is very good reading and answer some of your questions.

Page 1

Lars Strom
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Page 2

Lars Strom
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
I got this post on FB today..better here..Thanks OVE.

"Nice history you have written Lars .. about Molinari ..He knew how to build and race boats .I would have liked to see him today , I belive the he look like a Italian traditional grandpa ,with all the good italian habits Perhaps he also ride scooter yet!"
Thank You.
OVE from Norway.

Edit..Well Ove..This is Renato a few years ago

Lars Strom
02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Molinari´s F1-V8 aluminum boat 1982.

This boat was extremely nice built and very expensive.

I remember other drivers was worried about the advantage Renato had if he touched
a wooden boat on the race course.

Lots of F1-V8 drivers did not want to go down the same road with very expensive
aluminum boats.
OMC stepped in and asked Renato to drive a similar boat (wood) to the one he sold to his race customers.

The same year David Burgess built a very good F1-V8 boat for Roger Jenkins
and he later won the World Championship that year..(1982)

All the pictures is from the F1-V8 race in Como 1982 when Renato won with the aluminum boat (#165)..and the maestro himself.
1982 was also the last year Renato used his famous #165..1983 and after he used #18.

One more thing..I was there in Como 1982 racing the F-3 class...dreaming of one day race F1-V8..

Lars Strom
02-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I raced a Saffa sponsored Molinari for Renato with a 2 liter Evinrude V-6 looper 1978 at Idroscalo..Finished second after Renato in a similar boat but ahead of all the ON Mercury drivers.!!
This was a test race for me to get ready for Paris 6 Hours 1978.
I drove the Saffa OZ Molinari/Evinrude2.4 liter team boat for Renato there, together with Angelo Vassena.

Working on this story and it is ready pretty soon..

Not the boat I raced but same paint job.

Lars Strom
02-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Bob Hering and Renato in the late seventies. I guess between 1977 -79. That was the time for the Saffa paint job.

Lars Strom
02-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Renato in the Stockholm GP 1983..My hometown.
This race was a enormous success..hundreds of thousand spectators showed up for the late Saturday afternoon race..I think the start was 7 PM..

Here is a very good racing video from Swedish TV..sorry for Swedish..Some is filmed omboard my F1-V8 Aspen/Burgess/Evinrude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UylWSQjJYw

Lars Strom
02-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Renato changed the design on his F1-V8 boats 1983 when he also started to use #18.
The main sponsor was Martini and many boats was in his team..Most of the time three.
Bob Spalding drove the #11 and Kicco Vidoli drove # 19..

Some said that Porsche helped Renato design the 1983 and -84 look..I know for sure Renato drove a white sporty looking Porsche 911 Turbo at that time..;)
More pictures soon..takes time to dig them up..

Lars Strom
02-02-2013, 09:54 AM
The list of F1-V8 drivers in the Stockholm GP 1983

More here:..http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/stockholm-f1-v8-gp-1983-race-program/

Lars Strom
02-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Back two years..Nottingham 1981..

This was the first year of the Evinrude/Johnson V8 racing engine..I can see Renato have the Italian distributor for Evinrude as a sponsor..Italmarine did many good things for racing.
Renato used #65 here and his teammate I think his name was Columbo #61

Here is a link to a long story about the Nottingham race in Powerboat & Waterskiing..Yes..you can also read about the Swede winning the F-3 class there..:D
http://svera.se/blogg/the-winners-are-molinari-oz-seebold-on-strom-oe-nottingham-1981/

Lars Strom
02-02-2013, 05:55 PM
More from the 1981 race season..

Renato Molinari won the first ever F1-V8 race in Germany 1981

A link to the story of this race.. World debut of V-8.. by Powerboat & Waterskiing.
http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/forst-till-bojen/

Lars Strom
02-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Not sure who is driving this nice Saffa/Molinari/Evinrude V-6 looper 3 liter..Race # 197..The picture is from 1979 and my guess is from maybe Parker or Havasu..??

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 06:22 AM
A similar Molinari boat as above..not sure where and who the driver is..

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Renato in Drammen, Norway 1980 driving his tecnocar/Evinrude V-6 looper 3 liter with fuel injection..The last picture with Renato and the Evinrude engine without cowling is the one I like best..:cool:

(The person behind Renato/engine is me..!!:)..)

Picture by Sture Sjoeberg

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 07:16 AM
More from Drammen, Norway 1980 in a Finnish boating magazine..Well they got the year wrong it was 1980..I have pictures from Molinari in Drammen 1981 with the bigger V-8 Evinrude. (coming later..)
This thread is going to be long..!!..please come back again..

Master Oil Racing Team
02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
197 is Tommy Posey's number. I didn't remember him in a Saffa boat. Tommy and Johnny Sanders both drove for Alan Yaw's Abilene Marine. I'll go look at some old copies of Powerboat and P&W to see if there are any clues.

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Please Wayne..see what you can dig up..maybe more pictures also.

Bob Hering and his Saffa/Molinari/Johnson. Looks like a 2.4 liter.. I think this is Bristol -78. Bob spent lots of time in Italy back then..

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Here is more from the World Championship race in the OZ Class.. Drammen, Norway 1980..
The pictures in post # 34 is the start.

The front of the race program VERDENSMESTERSKAP KLASSE OZ....The price is 5 kr (Kronor)..around 75 cent back them..!!

Cees Van Der Velden came back to OMC 1979 after a short time with Mercury racing.
Bob Spalding in boat #11

I also found some good reading about the race in Powerboat & Waterskiing magazine...Velden got stung by a bee before the last heat..!!..sounds like A.J. Foyt..:D

The pictures are from my Norwegian friend Per Simonsen..Thank you..
They are not that sharp..sorry.
(It is hard to dig up boat racing pictures from the good old days.)

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
More Drammen, Norway 1980..This is from a Swedish Boating Magazine..
130 knop is 145 MPH
Again Per Simonsen...Thank you..

Hehe..I am reading this Swedish report now that I have never seen before and they are referring to me as an expert..!!..:D
Well..I was there racing F-3 and maybe talked to them..don't really remember everything that happen 30 plus years ago.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Still have a lot of looking to go Lars, but this is what I found so far. In 1978 Molinari was driving a Saffa Molinari with a black bow in the 6 Hours of Paris and his co driver was Tommy Posey. So that is Tommy in the 197 Saffa. Renato led the first lap of the 6 Hours then a series of troubles set them back, but toward the end Molinari/Posey were second behind Bob Spalding and Mike Seebold at the finish. Another interesting thing is that Jimbo McConnel was driving the second Saffa Molinari at Paris. It didn't say who his co driver is. In the second unidentified Saffa Molinari above, it is hard to read the numbers with the glare and the angle. They look like they might be 25. If it's 35, then the driver is most likely Bob Witt.

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for getting involved Wayne..
I have to look in to that..Well..know for sure I drove one of the two Molinari/Saffa boats in the OZ class Paris Six Hours 1978.
In Paris they give you a race number just for that race and ours was #11 and I think Molinari/Posey was #12
My co-pilot was Angelo Vassena and we finished fourth overall.

Our Molinari/Saffa boat was rigged with a 2.4 liter V-6 Evinrude..Do not remember if Renato used the 3 liter or not but I think he did.

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Here is a picture of the #11 Molinari/Saffa boat Angelo Vassena and I drove in Paris 1978. I can see at the helmet that the Swede is piloting..:D

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 04:13 PM
More about Paris Six Hours 1978

Lars Strom
02-03-2013, 06:07 PM
The Havasu Race 1979..

Our Jimbo McConnell is pretty involved with his nice Molinari boat....:D

Master Oil Racing Team
02-03-2013, 06:23 PM
That's the other boat Lars. Barry Woods, or (Molinari driving) most likely at Parker. My memory is failing me. When I first thought of 35, Bob Witt came into my head and I thought.....no...that might be Barry Woods, but I didn't think on it long enough and posted Bob's name.

Lars Strom
02-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Jepp..You are probably right Wayne and again thanks for helping out with this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I meet Renato every other weekend for close to fifteen year at the boat races..

Raced in his team, been to his house and purchased boats from him.
Still don't know if he liked me or not..
Renato never showed his feelings.

You did not see Renato in a bar or party with everybody else after or before a race.

I still respected him a lot..Renato was like a racing machine..100% focused on winning races..not friends.

Renato never looked for racing boat customers..they came to him.

The first picture is from Stockholm GP 1983..the second I can only guess 1969 or 1970..Don't know when he raced the Merc with loud pipes.

PS..Ron..Renato did not have a "little mustache" there..!!..;)

Lars Strom
02-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Renato won the Rouen 24 hours many times with outboards..but 1979 was in the inboard R-3 class.

A Saffa/Molinari/Fiat Abarth

TBuck2003
02-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Great stuff Lars... My Dad and Kenny Stevenson were best friends growing up in NE Ohio. I got to spend a lot of time with them growing up. Kenny was very talented. I love to see all these OMC's !!!!!

Lars Strom
02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Thanks TBuck2003,

The most controversial Saffa/Molinari/Evinrude race boat was the "Molinari Monster" 1979..

I did a complete story about that last year..please click on the link below and read..

The Molinari “Monster”..the real story

http://svera.se/blogg/molinari-monster-the-real-story/

Ron Hill
02-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I got this post on FB today..better here..Thanks OVE.

"Nice history you have written Lars .. about Molinari ..He knew how to build and race boats .I would have liked to see him today , I belive the he look like a Italian traditional grandpa ,with all the good italian habits Perhaps he also ride scooter yet!"
Thank You.
OVE from Norway.

Edit..Well Ove..This is Renato a few years ago

It looks like Renato has aged! Glad I haven't gotten OLD!

Is Molinari booze connected to Renato?

Ron Hill
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Gary Mumaw took the picture and Margarite Woods gave me this picture at Jack Leek Memorial Service, she said it was Barry!

boatmark59
02-05-2013, 01:13 AM
Great thread Lars. The Cees article is kind of funny - him talking about not having many more years at the top since he was thirty five. I worked with him at Chattanooga one race - 1988 I think - and he hadn't lost any of the intensity that I could see. This was of course early in the safety cell times, and Cees decided this was a good time to go to war with the tech inspectors over mirrors. They were required, but he refused to have them. We finally compromised. I got some $3.00 bicycle mirrors and duct taped them to the sides of the cell. (I mean like flat against the cell) No one was happy, but he raced . . . no idea how he finished but it may have been blown up.

I was working for John Nichols out of Florida on the IOGP (Merc) series, and we were I believe the Veldon importers of the time. We had Cees's composite boat (the one with removeable sponsons) but could never get it to run. We didn't have time to work it out so we ran a new wood Veldon the rest of the year. It was one of those years when whatever bad that could happen, did.

The Chattanooga weekend I was actually on my way to Sacramento with the Champ boat. I didn't have any powerheads in my truck, but John decided since we were there we should run something. We borrowed a powerhead from the Pittsburg guys whose name I can never remember (they owned a motorcycle shop?) and proceeded to destroy it within about five minutes (don't ask :-) - I'll only say drivers should keep their hands in their pockets at all times!)

We tore stuff up, we ran bad, it was so hot the beer wouldn't stay cold . . . . just a lovely weekend at the races.

Lars Strom
02-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks for posting boatmark59,

Cees was always fun to hang around..Anything could happen..I am getting to my memories of Velden later..

This is from Chattanooga 1988.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-05-2013, 08:45 AM
52596Some good stuff. Here's one I bet you haven't seen Lars. It's from the December 1965 issue of Boating News. It was the first time I ever heard the name Molinari. When I first started racing OPC was called Outboard Pleasure Craft, and there were only runabout style boats and v bottoms, and catamarans around where we raced. The most popular cats where we ran were Powercats and Kober Kats. Sometime around 1969 is about when I can remember tunnel boats. The name Molinari was the one name always associated with tunnel boats and in the back of my mind I had a memory of that name and the rear view of a boat in a magazine. I remember flipping through the pages of my Boating News and ,sure enough , this was the same company building the tunnels that were popping up all over the place.

ADD: I'm having a hard time figuring out posting pictures. I haven't gotten enough practice lately to remember, so I hesitate to try because it takes so long and I can't seem to get things in order. Oh well, I'll just have to keep trying, but it's much harder now to post rapidly.:confused:

Dew1us
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Ah the fastest boats my dad had ever built.

I can remember those being built.

Lars Strom
02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Wahoo..!! That is real "Molinari racing boat history" Wayne..from 1965 and the writer is Phil Rolla..Pretty sure Ron knows him..

Thanks..it makes the thread so much better..remember this is Boatracingfacts..

Lars Strom
02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
It looks like Renato has aged! Glad I haven't gotten OLD!

Is Molinari booze connected to Renato?

Ron..I don't think that Molinari booze has anything to do with Renato.
Well..I know that Italian Grappa booze make you pretty stupid after a bottle..;)

One more interesting thing..We drove the same type of Molinari OZ boat 1978.
We both used the 2.4 liter Evinrude..you and Fred won in Parker and Angelo and I came fourth in Paris..
Pretty sure you used the right propeller..Jack Leek forced us to use a really big prop. to hold the rpm down..made the boat hard to handle..

Lars Strom
02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
The Rasini brothers drove a Molinari boat to the overall win i Paris Six Hours 1967

RogerH
02-05-2013, 06:34 PM
I'll try to attach a photo of the current condition of the CCC used by Bob Hering and Renato in post #14. Waiting to get that boat back from Gary Pugh - having a new transom installed and putting the after-planes back on that Bob Larson removed for some reason. Motor was started on my other Molinari (O'Berry Marine #854 / #60) so looks like we'll be ready for Tavares FL on March 15-17th. It will run again!!
Had to replace the block and used new low-ring pistons - ported of course. Hand worked the block like original - sounds good thus far.

propfxro84
02-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Interesting read, I have a question, is Bob Hering the same guy that builds the worlds fastest propellers now? I have been a Hering dealer for several years and never knew? BTW, the drop forged Hering cleavers are attached to almost every 185-200+ mph cat in the world. (No one else's will keep the blades from coming off!!!!)

Lars Strom
02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
I think Bob Hering started the Hering propeller company and sold it a few years ago. Ron knows exactly how it is...Ron..where are you???

T2x
02-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Interesting read, I have a question, is Bob Hering the same guy that builds the worlds fastest propellers now? I have been a Hering dealer for several years and never knew? BTW, the drop forged Hering cleavers are attached to almost every 185-200+ mph cat in the world. (No one else's will keep the blades from coming off!!!!)

Yes Bob Hering is the guy who started Hering Propellers and the company was sold a few years back. I believe his son is still running the operation. As far as the 200 mph cats are concerned, while many of them do use Herings some use props from Rolla and a few are using wheels from Dave Vilwock I believe.

Lars Strom
02-06-2013, 07:00 PM
A Molinari/Mercury powered boat won again in Paris Six Hours 1968. The drivers was Renato and Leonardi.

American drivers came in second and third..I think we know the one of them pretty good..!!

I guess some of the Swedes did not turn very good..:D

Lars Strom
02-07-2013, 07:09 AM
This is from the Havasu race 1969. Renato drove a two engine boat but crashed..

I got the pictures from Gene Lanham (Thank you) but have no more info.

Lars Strom
02-07-2013, 09:02 AM
My Italian friend Matteo Colombo just wrote this on FB... In 1969 at Havasu won his cousin Cesare!!

Ron Hill
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
A Molinari/Mercury powered boat won again in Paris Six Hours 1968. The drivers was Renato and Leonardi.

American drivers came in second and third..I think we know the one of them pretty good..!!

I guess some of the Swedes did not turn very good..:D

After the 1968 Six Hours of Paris ended, I went to buy a bottle of water, water was like five bucks, a bottle of wine was a dollar. So, I bought the wine. The wine bottle looked like a champagne bottle but it was just wine. I was taking a big drink of it when Ann Strang happened to walk by (Ann was Charlie Strang's mother, and most knew SHE ran the OMC race team....including me...). She said, "What are you celebrating, Mercury won?" I said, "Celebrate, hell....Those Mercury/Molinari's lapped me 7-8 times. The river is full of 'Crazy Sumbitches' going every which way but straight. I added, hell, I'm lucky to be alive." Ann looked at me, and said, "Give me a little drink."

It didn't matter then and it doesn't matter now, but we ran second all day and got third. One lap, I went behind a river barge (The barge was between me and the scoring stand) and I didn't get counted.

Lars, those pictures bring back memories of how rough The Paris Six Hour was in those days....

How come you don't have any pictures of Rasini's daughter??? She was a beauty!!! She was going to college at teh University of Wisconsin, Madison and vowed not to return to Italy after graduation as she liked America. She could go places without a body guard!

Lars Strom
02-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Here is a long video about the Havasu race 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ylE-w_38wOI#!

Smokin' Joe
02-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Here is a long video about the Havasu race 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ylE-w_38wOI#!

Very nice series of posts.

Smokin' Joe
02-07-2013, 09:17 PM
After the 1968 Six Hours of Paris ended, I went to buy a bottle of water, water was like five bucks, a bottle of wine was a dollar. So, I bought the wine. The wine bottle looked like a champagne bottle but it was just wine. I was taking a big drink of it when Ann Strang happened to walk by (Ann was Charlie Strang's mother, and most knew SHE ran the OMC race team....including me...). She said, "What are you celebrating, Mercury won?" I said, "Celebrate, hell....Those Mercury/Molinari's lapped me 7-8 times. The river is full of 'Crazy Sumbitches' going every which way but straight. I added, hell, I'm lucky to be alive." Ann looked at me, and said, "Give me a little drink."

It didn't matter then and it doesn't matter now, but we ran second all day and got third. One lap, I went behind a river barge (The barge was between me and the scoring stand) and I didn't get counted.

Lars, those pictures bring back memories of how rough The Paris Six Hour was in those days....

How come you don't have any pictures of Rasini's daughter??? She was a beauty!!! She was going to college at teh University of Wisconsin, Madison and vowed not to return to Italy after graduation as she liked America. She could go places without a body guard!

Ron, you're a big part of racing history. I'd also like to see Rasini's daughter since you've raved so much about her.

Lars Strom
02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Lucky Molinari..Paris Six Hours 1969

Ron Hill
02-10-2013, 10:31 PM

Molinari Boats were more like stradivarius (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&spell=1&q=stradivarius+violins&sa=X&ei=An8YUc-SLYqj2QW1l4HYDw&ved=0CCwQvwUoAA&biw=1025&bih=470)violins. Americans build boat like "Brick **** Houses" , Americans built boats to run through waves. Molinari built boat to play a "TUNE". They were build like a violin. They were like a ballet in action. I never played a violin, but I know they are delicate. Renato's "TWIN" probably weighed one fourth what the average American made "TWIN" weighed. I had a Hallett Four Point for the 1969 Havasu World Championships. I was running about 89 MPH. Renato's "TWIN" looked and sounded like 100 MPH. I'd run against Renato before and knew he liked to win. I have to admit, when Renato blew over "TESTING", it made me happy. I was glad Renato wasn't hurt, but I was glad he wasn't going to be in the race.

His "Blow Over" was one hell of a crash!

Skoontz
02-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Sidestepping the thread from Rons "Record" prop line.

I was over at Don Hendriches home in Lake Villa, Illernoyzz picking up a chopper prop he worked his magic on for me....He was at his kitchen table sitting with Ziggy drinking some scotch with their wives. Since I had come over to pick up my prop, we talked props breifly. I made a comment to him about if you wanted tom make your OMC motor run to its potential it seemed you had to run either a Record, or a Merc prop. Understandably he became somewhat defensive, Ziggy said a few lines, and the jist I got was that he may have been held back from doing what he knew best at OMC. I could be really wrong and off base here, but, if thats not so, how come I could buy a Record, or a Merc prop and gain exactly what Ron said, 8-10 MPH???? We moved on, Ziggy sipped the scotch again looks at Don and says, "Damn this is good booze" I paid Don and drove home to put the prop on and try it out.....

Steve Pinson
02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Bob Hering and Renato in the late seventies. I guess between 1977 -79. That was the time for the Saffa paint job. 1977 Bristol Embassy Grand Prix was the first time i saw the saffa boats race i got to watch it that year because my engine failed in practise and OMC Brugge didn`t have spares.The race consisted of two races on saturday and two on sunday Molinari himself had a good weekend he won in the OE 3cyl class but did run his engine on nitrous? in the OZ class he won three races Hering followed him round and finished in 2nd place in all 3 races the last race on sunday Hering was in his boat ready to start when Molinaris crew physically lifted him out of his boat with all the spectators watching. Molinari had decided he had enough points to win the race overall without running the last race` now was Hering paid by Molinari or OMC?

Lars Strom
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Molinari history: Bristol 1977

Yes Steve..I remember Bristol very well..My first race with the Molinari/Volvo Penta/Konig F3/OE and Renato was extremely upset with me..He asked me to give the Molinari boat back to him.. the one I paid big bucks for..!!
I was also slowly understanding that the engine build in West Berlin was pretty
unreliable;)

http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/volvo-pentakonig-racing-1977/

Lars Strom
02-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Well..Renato wins the 1980 Rouen 24 Hours in is Molinari/Evinrude CC this time.

Ron Hill
02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
1977 Bristol Embassy Grand Prix was the first time i saw the saffa boats race i got to watch it that year because my engine failed in practise and OMC Brugge didn`t have spares.The race consisted of two races on saturday and two on sunday Molinari himself had a good weekend he won in the OE 3cyl class but did run his engine on nitrous? in the OZ class he won three races Hering followed him round and finished in 2nd place in all 3 races the last race on sunday Hering was in his boat ready to start when Molinaris crew physically lifted him out of his boat with all the spectators watching. Molinari had decided he had enough points to win the race overall without running the last race` now was Hering paid by Molinari or OMC?

Ann Strang sponsored Jerry Waldman and Bobby Hering for years, in kneel down hydros. Jerry was the "STAR" and Bobby was the "Back Up". Waldman and Hering were the "TEAM".

When Bob started driving with OMC Renato was the "Star" and Bobby was the "BACK UP". Truth is, Ann Strang was still probably in control of the "Purse Strings". But, racing ENDRUOS motors sometimes broke. When I raced for OMC I was always given the "SLOWER" motors, but mine were "DEEMED" finishers. Frequently, I finished better than my motor was supposed to finish.

Truth is, Renato got paid well.....everyone else made a lot less. A far as I know the only OMC driver who was ever on "PAY ROLL" was Jimbo. And he was always an "HOURLY" employee.

Lars Strom
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for making that clear Ron..
Pretty interesting to read about Molinari´s contract with Mercury in post #21..Renato was promised by Merc to get someone else engine if his broke down at the race..
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?15264-Molinari-Racing-Boat-History-and-Information/page3

Lars Strom
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Molinari F1-V8 two seater race boat.

More mixed F1-V8 pictures here:..http://svera.se/blogg/f1-v8/f1-v8-pictures-mixed/

Lars Strom
02-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Here is a better picture of the F1-V8 Molinari aluminum boat 1982

Molinari´s F1-V8 aluminum boat 1982.

This boat was extremely nice built and very expensive.

I remember other drivers was worried about the advantage Renato had if he touched
a wooden boat on the race course.

Lots of F1-V8 drivers did not want to go down the same road with very expensive
aluminum boats.
OMC stepped in and asked Renato to drive a similar boat (wood) to the one he sold to his race customers.

The same year David Burgess built a very good F1-V8 boat for Roger Jenkins
and he later won the World Championship that year..(1982)

All the pictures is from the F1-V8 race in Como 1982 when Renato won with the aluminum boat (#165)..and the maestro himself.
1982 was also the last year Renato used his famous #165..1983 and after he used #18.

One more thing..I was there in Como 1982 racing the F-3 class...dreaming of one day race F1-V8..

calvin
02-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Was aluminum a better boat or just an experiment?

Steve Pinson
02-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Sidestepping the thread from Rons "Record" prop line.

I was over at Don Hendriches home in Lake Villa, Illernoyzz picking up a chopper prop he worked his magic on for me....He was at his kitchen table sitting with Ziggy drinking some scotch with their wives. Since I had come over to pick up my prop, we talked props breifly. I made a comment to him about if you wanted tom make your OMC motor run to its potential it seemed you had to run either a Record, or a Merc prop. Understandably he became somewhat defensive, Ziggy said a few lines, and the jist I got was that he may have been held back from doing what he knew best at OMC. I could be really wrong and off base here, but, if thats not so, how come I could buy a Record, or a Merc prop and gain exactly what Ron said, 8-10 MPH???? We moved on, Ziggy sipped the scotch again looks at Don and says, "Damn this is good booze" I paid Don and drove home to put the prop on and try it out..... Interesting to hear Don Hendricks name mentioned i can remember Paul Kalbe head of OMC Brugge racing in 1976 he had props on order from Hendricks for over 18months he wasn`t allowed to buy from anybody other than Hendricks orders from Strang.He tried to run the race team but had a poor selection of props in 1976 they still ran the early 2 litre engines still competetive in some races` i used to test with the props he had available and it could have been much better it goes from bad to worse in early 1977 when the new 2.4 crossflow engine came out for OZ class we used the same props i do know he managed to sneak one or two in i think from Ron Hill but i am sure these were for the 3cyl engines the first order of Hendricks props came in oct 1978 by now the 2.4 engines were history in sprint races because Mercury found much more power from their OZ engines.I always wondered which props Molinari used i am sure he would`t wait for 18 months.

Lars Strom
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Was aluminum a better boat or just an experiment?

I think it was a way better boat in many ways but very costly.

Lars Strom
02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Not sure what year but this is Renato´s shop around 1970 I guess.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Steve...I don't know if you remember this, but 1978 was the year the U.S.A. was awarded the OE World Championships and UIM immediately , without regard to their own rules of a two year moratorium, banned of methanol. I have a whole file folder that someday I will post regarding all the correspondence, notes etc. Molinari was at the race in Dayton in 1978, but Bob Hering won the first three heats convincingly, I think John Hill was second and Terry Leatherby finished third. They were all three cylinder OMC's The final heat was won by Jeff Hutchins with a Konig running methanol. It was the first and only time my Dad was involved in cheating, but it was really a protest rather than cheating. He did not do this for our team to win. He thought the undue influence OMC had at Brugge caused them to violate their own rules and make the fuel rule effective immediately. Might this prop situation have somehow been a factor in OMC pressuring UIM in the rule change. I don't recall for sure, but it seems the only Merc entry then was Michael Werner. Their big concern were the alky hydros on a course with wide sweeping turns. I only heard about this prop problem here on BRF and am interested in what you and others know that may have influenced racing schedules and other stuff.

Smokin' Joe
02-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Interesting to hear Don Hendricks name mentioned i can remember Paul Kalbe head of OMC Brugge racing in 1976 he had props on order from Hendricks for over 18months he wasn`t allowed to buy from anybody other than Hendricks orders from Strang.He tried to run the race team but had a poor selection of props in 1976 they still ran the early 2 litre engines still competetive in some races` i used to test with the props he had available and it could have been much better it goes from bad to worse in early 1977 when the new 2.4 crossflow engine came out for OZ class we used the same props i do know he managed to sneak one or two in i think from Ron Hill but i am sure these were for the 3cyl engines the first order of Hendricks props came in oct 1978 by now the 2.4 engines were history in sprint races because Mercury found much more power from their OZ engines.I always wondered which props Molinari used i am sure he would`t wait for 18 months.

Edgar Rose was Don's boss and Edgar was (and is) very much interested in making better props. We tried an OMC prop
in Mod-VP but always used Mercury cleavers, then choppers. I bought OMC props for EP and reworked them
myself in Baumann's prop shop 1978-79. One of those props set a kilo record that was never broken. That one originally came from
Don but I modified it far from the original pitch distribution. My other props were nearly identical to that one, and I reproduced two for our son
Hans' restored Allison EP boat 2 yrs. ago. Question: who made Jimbo's props? I don't know but can easily find out.

Lars Strom
02-17-2013, 07:11 PM
I have no memory of OMC propeller problems those years and we run methanol in Europe up to 1982 in the OE-F3 class.
Paul Kalb was after Konig big time but he was not successful to get UIM to ban methanol when he was in charge in Brugge, Belgium.
I think he went back to USA late 1979.

Lars Strom
02-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Here is a picture of my OE Burgess/Evinrude CC from Idroscalo, Italy late September 1982.

I installed an extra fuel tank on top of my regular tank to hold more methanol because it was a two mile long race course there.
A really big prop. and a special one pinion gear case made my boat extremely fast at my favorite race place.
Flat smooth long two point race course.

PS..I remember Renato checking out my funny looking fuel tank and shaking his head..;)

Master Oil Racing Team
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Lars....Paul did get methanol banned, but for one race only. It was apparently not enforced anywhere else, but we did have to collect fuel samples during the 1978 OE UIM World Championships. Since the wind was blowing too hard for the alky hydros to compete for the first three heats, nobody asked for samples to be collected. not until the final heat when the wind had settled and Jeff had the only alky hydro on the bank stilled rigged up. He won by a large margin. I don't think Bob Hering went back out since he had already won. Jeff just went out because he was a Pro racer. He never quit. We all cheered him on It was not about the racing...but all about the powerplay.

I had a crate with four ounce plastic bottles fuel samples for a few years that were never tested. no reason to. Finally I threw all of them away except for Jeff Hutchins' last heat sample which contained a castor oil/methanol mix and finally tossed about twelve years ago...just before we built our music and boat racing room. Kept them in my darkroom, and was afraid the plastic would get bad and lead to a fire hazard.

Lars Strom
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Paul Kalb was a big problem for many OMC race drivers, (except Willie Perman).. Roger Jenkins left OMC because of Paul for Volvo Penta/Konig OE racing 1976 and 77. Well 1977 Roger also started to race 2 liter Merc in a Cougar and Gordons Gin as a sponsor.
Roger wrote something really funny about Paul Kalb a few weeks ago on my Facebook page.
I don't want to copy that..Roger must write that himself..;)

Master Oil Racing Team
02-17-2013, 08:31 PM
I didn't know Roger, I only took some pictures of him at a race in Berlin because I knew who he was. We talked, and he was very friendly. You can tell him that I can e mail him some other pictures I took, or he can contact me here at BRF.

Lars Strom
02-18-2013, 05:10 AM
Roger is not very active in the cyber world Wayne. He lives in Spain winter time and I have some contact with him.
He is still the same old Roger and pretty good at giving old boat racers a hard time..!!:D:D

Lars Strom
02-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Roger Jenkins and his wife last weekend in Spain.

Lars Strom
02-18-2013, 07:11 AM
Alberto Fioretta in his Molinari/Merc 1983

Steve Pinson
02-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Roger Jenkins and his wife last weekend in Spain.

Nice to see Rodger and his wife enjoying themselves` i first met Rodger in 1969 we shared some good times together and some good races.Lars if you have any contact with him ask him if he still has his (Guitar Man) race boat?

Lars Strom
02-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Steve..
Roger Jenkins was over here a few years ago. He is racing a 16ft Hobie cat in Spain and are winning every weekend..according to him..;);)

Lars Strom
02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Bristol 1977...Renato and his brother on the back of the boat.

Photo:fastonwater

Lars Strom
02-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Not sure who the driver is of this Molinari..looks like the V8-F1 engine is from 1983

Lars Strom
02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Renato Molinari 1984.
Something or someone has given him a headache!

Picture from Fast on Water

Watermark11
02-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Not sure who the driver is of this Molinari..looks like the V8-F1 engine is from 1983

Mark Rotharmel from Toronto, Canada.. Race is Milan, 1984. Second Effort provided Barry Woods, Gene Thibodaux and myself with three similar Molinari's for the final two races of that season - the German and Italian Grand Prix's. Michael Werner replaced Thibodeaux at Milan.

Watermark11
02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Renato Molinari 1984.
Something or someone has given him a headache!

Picture from Fast on Water

Renato won the 1984 F1 title but following the trophy presentation at Milan, thieves made off with his Porsche... That could have been the cause of his headache. :(

Lars Strom
02-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks for your info Watermark 11.

Renato took me for a spin in his white Porsche 911 Turbo up in the Como mountains.
Here is a picture of one of Renatos boats 1984. The -84 engine cowling was rounded in the rear. Molinari made his own and OMC made one to, but Renatos was nicer.
The second picture is from 1983..You can see the square rear of the Evinrude cowling.

Lars Strom
02-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Interesting reading.

Lars Strom
02-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Spalding/Percival won Amsterdam 3 hours 1974 in a Molinari..
Well..Velden/Seebold came second in a Molinari and Percival/Spalding third in a Molinari.

Lars Strom
02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Bob Holloway´s Molinari/Mercury Twister 2X ..1975

Lars Strom
03-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Beautiful restored Molinari/Evinrude V6 CCC 2.4 liter.
More info later.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
53075530755307553075I really like this thread Lars. You keep posting photos, stories, articles, and things many have never seen. Just like your Super Swede thread, you are putting out some very good history. You have gotten to the point where you are drawing out information from many of your friends that want to add to what you have started. I would like to add this one (Many more never seen) to this thread about Renato Molinari. Lots and lots of photos of Molinari, and no smile. Everyone knows that. You had one where there was a little bit of a smile. What about this one? I actually developed this one in my darkroom with chemicals in 1978 for part of the story that appeared in Powerboat covering the 1978 OE World Championships. I didn't submit this photo however, but I kept it. It is in a collection I have been keeping on boat racers waiting and anticipation before the gun fires. I have a number of them, and when I think I have enough I will post them on BRF. Until then....Here is an advance preview for your thread here Lars. Molinari waiting.

ADD: I am sorry that there are four pictures in a row of the same thing. When I first started posting pictures on BRF I could see when the pictures were downloaded. I'm not used to this dragging photos, checking the boxes, etc. I did each thing to confirm that the photos were loaded, and when I could not....I just punched the DONE button. When the post came up on BRF...all the photos were there. I will figure it out eventually, but I wonder how many out there cannot. And now I will try to figure out if I can delete the other three photos.

ADD: I used to be able to delete photos, but it appears that all photos are all in one attachment. If I delete it, I guess all will disappear. Sorry for all the extra photos Lars. If you want, I will delete this post and start over.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-02-2013, 08:30 AM
I deleted it Lars. I thought four identical pictures in a row was not good. So I am going to try again this morning. I knew you would like this picture of Molinari. Kind of a rare angle I think.

Lars Strom
03-03-2013, 06:01 AM
OK Wayne..but all the nice reading is gone to..;)

EDIT..Well..looks like Ron fixed that. Thanks Wayne.

Please help me with more of your Molinari history. Memory and pictures.

Here is one more restored Molinari/Johnson V6 in the USA.

Lars Strom
03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
One more picture of the two Molinari boats above.

Lars Strom
03-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Jimbo McConnell in his Mod 50 Molinari/Evinrude CC.
Did see Jimbo race this boat at Miami Marine Stadium in the late seventies.
I also know Jimbo was a big friend of Mod 50 racing.

Lars Strom
03-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Keith Scotton - #484 Molinari Johnson RS

Lars Strom
03-06-2013, 02:57 PM
1985 -Werter Morelli - Scafo Molinari.

A smaller Molinari boat..looks like a stock Evinrude 75..(SE Class)

Lars Strom
03-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks Keith,
Do you have any more pictures??

998 Bill Sirous, 21' Molinari, dual 1350 BP DC Stackers!
Winner of 1970 World Championship

Lars Strom
03-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Renato after he crashed out in Rotterdam Grand-Prix 1975

Lars Strom
03-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks HARLAN ORRIN,
Do you have any pictures..??

The Rasini brothers drove a Molinari boat to the overall win i Paris Six Hours 1967

More from Paris 1967 and the Rasini brothers..

Lars Strom
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Pinuccio Todeschini in his Molinari/Mercruiser racing 1982

Lars Strom
03-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Pinuccio Todeschini in his Molinari/Mercruiser racing 1982

More pictures of this beauty..!!

Lars Strom
03-17-2013, 11:39 AM
More SE Class Molinari boats..This is from 1984
It is from the beautiful lake next to Auronzo di Cadore in the mountains North/East Italy.
I have been there racing a few times.
About a mile above sea level. Great place.

Photo: Marcello Curioni

Lars Strom
03-17-2013, 04:46 PM
I guess you could buy a Molinari boat and race the Merc 2 liter class when Renato was under contract with OMC..
Renato was really upset with me when I installed a Volvo Penta/Konig on the F3/OE boat I purchased from him 1977..

Master Oil Racing Team
03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Ha Ha Lars. When I saw that picture I knew exactly what you were going to say. And it just occurred to me why I didn't have a picture of you in 1977 when you came to Dieter's factory.

My first article in Powerboat appeared in the Competition Issue in 1974. Since then, I had photos and articles published of the major Pro races in the U.S. In 1976 I had a story about the UIM World Championships for OA, OD and OF published in Powerboat, and in it was maybe the only picture ever published in a magazine of the "King Kong Konig" as Powerboat editor dubbed it. It was the six cylinder opposed motor that had the same rotary valve arrangement and carbs that you and Roger Jenkins both ran the next year

My first trip to Berlin, and to the Konig factory was unannounced. I spent thirty days in Nigeria, and had a six week excursion fare. If I left sooner or stayed later, big bucks would kick in. My ticket was open for anywhere I wanted to go for the next two weeks so I flew back to London where my original flght took me to Nigeria. While in London, I thought "Why not go to Berlin?" I didn't know Dieter well. He knew my Dad and me being the driver. So I went. I just showed up at the factory and told him who I was. It was a moment or two for him to put it together, but he knew me. Then he let me take pictures of anything I wanted. I wandered around all of the plant below and took photos. We had a great time together and during that week I met Kurt Mishke, Hans Krage, Karl Bartel and Jerry Drake. I took pictures of all of them a the Berlin Boat Show in 1975.

Back in Berlin again in 1976, David Westbrook and I raced in the Weltpokal (World Cup). Again I had no restrictions on taking photos in and around the shop, including the few photos I took of Dieter's motorcycles. It was after the pictures of the "King Kong Konig" appeared in Powerboat that Dieter sent me a letter that he did not want the photos published. He never said anything to me about it, and he never told me not to take pictures again. The next few years I went to Dieter's, I was not restricted from taking pictures.

I can't remember exactly how this came about because it was so fast. I don't remember Dieter telling me not to take pictures, but in those days I never even walked anywhere without one or two cameras slung around my shoulders. So either it happened so quickly or I was told by Dieter, not to take the photo of Lars with a Konig, I can't remember.

This is what I do remember. I was there on my "Honigmonde" with my new wife Debbie and she was painting white stars on a blue background of sticky vinyl to make our flags for the boats. I was rigging up a couple of brand new Danisch Propriders Dieter had gotten from Bernie Danisch in East Berlin. Suddenly Dieter came over to where I was mounting hardware on one of the new propriders and said we need to help move some boats out of the way. I think Dieter's nephew Joachim Mareth was rigging up a boat also.

We ran to the side of the shop and manhandled several boat out of the way. It was very narrow and we had to push the other boats all the way back to make room for a vehicle to pass through. I was kind of put out about it because I had to stop what I was doing, then we had to wait. I was wanting to get back to finish rigging the boat, then get back to my new wife painting stars on our flag, then cutting the red and white stripes to stick on the boat.

It was supposed to be quick, but seems like we waited about twenty minutes. Then, here comes a car. I comes down the narrow lane by the factory we had just cleared out. Makes a sharp left and stops. There is a door at the back of the factory and close to where the dyno room is. That is where the Konig Penta motor with the three carb rotary valve motor is loaded into the car. I did take a couple of photos of Lars's helpers's beside the car, but not one of Lars. I am sure I was introduced, and I am sure that Dieter told me NOT TO TAKE PICTURES. Dieter always was a gentleman and introduced everyone. This was a quick in and out meeting. I have a vague recollection of being introduced to Lars in Dieter's office or maybe on the line where many assembly's took place. One thing I am sure of though is that Dieter told me not to take a picture of Lars Strom and he came in the back and left with a Konig/Penta.

Lars Strom
03-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Haha Wayne..that is so funny..we where doing everything in our hands to keep my switch to Molinari/VP/Konig 1977 a secret..and you just happen to be at Dieters place at the right hour..
Here is the two pictures you took and I am really happy you did..

Few people believe I raced Paris Six Hours with a Molinari/VP-Konig but I did..Here is the story..
http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/a-konig-outboard-in-paris-six-hours-1977/

Lars Strom
03-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Renatos new Evinrude cowling.. first race 1984 Lyon, France

Lars Strom
03-19-2013, 06:08 AM
This is from Munich, Germany 1984..Renato won the F1 title there.

..but it is an older picture..I believe it is the aluminum boat from 1982 with race # 165..

Lars Strom
03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Buck Thornton is driving a Molinari/Evinrude..Looks like a Martini paint job with a new sponsor..not sure what year but my guess is 1984 maybe -85. I know Buck raced a Johnson V8 in Pittsburgh 1983..but did not drive a Molinari boat there. (I think it was a Lee Craft)

Lars Strom
03-20-2013, 05:42 PM
This is going to be a good one..one of my favorite racing friends..

Jimbo McConnell drove the Spirit of Sacramento...Molinari/Evinrude to victory 1983

(Two posts)

Lars Strom
03-20-2013, 05:44 PM
..continue with Jimbo..

Lars Strom
03-22-2013, 09:45 AM
I got this today from my Italian friend Marcello
Thank you.

Hi Lars,

Renato Molinari is not only a beautiful boat manufacture but he is a superb cook!
Here is preparing a fabolous BBQ.

Lars Strom
03-22-2013, 10:04 AM
One more picture from Marcello.
Again Thank you.

(Renato to the left)

Lars, another picture date 1986 of Renato Molinari, with Cesare Fiorio and Carlo Bodega, after winning the Monaco GP.

Lars Strom
03-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Renato Molinari OZ World Champ 1981

Lars Strom
03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
I am not sure what power this Molinari boat with race # 397 uses..Renato to the left second picture.

Lars Strom
03-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Jackie Wilson wins "Chasewater 500" 1970 in a Molinari boat.

Lars Strom
03-29-2013, 11:30 PM
More from Jackie Wilson's win in "Chasewater 500" 1970 with a Molinari boat.

Lars Strom
03-30-2013, 06:50 AM
"Chasewater 500" 1970 was very interesting reading for me.

Back then I was working at Heidi Blomberg Marine outside Stockholm.
As a 16 year old boy I was watching my boss Bengt Blomberg and his wife Heidi racing those nice Schulze cats with Merc engines.
Heidi was born in Austria next to Dieter Schulze and I remember Dieter visiting the marina in Sweden where I was working.

Reading that my boss Bengt Blomberg crashed out Renato in Chasewater 500 1970 was a surprise. Bengt never told me that.!! Well..maybe he was a better racer than a boss.!!..
I remember quitting the job.. before he went out of business later 1970.

After some digging I found the letter "working ratings" (Resumé) from Bengt Blomberg.

My new job was for another boat racing Swede..in the outboard business..
Kenty Sjöholm was his name...that is another long story.

Here is a few pictures of Bengt Blombergs Schulze cats and the letter from him to me..
You can see Heidi, (Bengts wife) driving the yellow OI 19 cat..

Lars Strom
03-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Bert Huffener of Holland was not only organizing the famous 3 hour race of Amsterdam..
..he also raced a Molinari boat with a Merc T2X..sold and prepered by Cees Van Der Velden of Boxtel

I raced a few times myself in Amsterdam 3 hours with good result.

Bo and I teamed up for our first trip to England & Amsterdam 1975
http://svera.se/blogg/racing-historier/bo-and-i-team-up-for-our-first-trip-to-england-later-1975/

Lars Strom
04-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Renato Molinari and Bob Hering win Bristol 1973 in a brand new Molinari "picklefork" design with a Merc 6C

Please read this long race story below:
Rudi Hersel of Germany died crashing his Schulze/Evinrude 24 minutes into the race.

Lars Strom
04-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Not really sure what this is..

Lars Strom
04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Well..I am sure you are right largecar91..I don't know much about the Merc in line six race engines.

Here is a picture from the F1-V8 race in Drammen, Norway 1982..You can see Renato in his Martini boat..but more interesting is the black Molinari with #191..I think that is Jimbo McConnell.
Photo by Per Simonsen..Thank you.

Lars Strom
04-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Renato Molinari was leading (boat #95) the 1984 Rouen 24 hours with many laps when Jean-luc Izard crashed him out of the race.

The power of Renato's boat was a Mercedes-Benz diesel..

This was his last Rouen 24 hour race.

Picture: French Phil..Thank you.

Lars Strom
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
From my Facebook page today about the post above..!!..:D..written by the French driver that was involved in the crash..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jean-luc Izard.. in fact, the co driver of Renato crach in my boat, i was driving a V boat and after a big wave near the place of "Villetard" my boat changed of line on the left and the boat passed on the left board of mine, about 30 cm of my head ! he had a hole on the 1srt meter at the front of his patin, he would have continued but he stopped in the middle of the circuit, crying and chaouting...!

Jean-luc Izard.. When renato came see me to have an explication, i told him what happened and after a look on the boat, he agreed with me that the pilot should not have stop and get back to the pit to repare the hole witch was 30 cm long and 1 to2 cm hight. the boat was about 6 meters long, it was possible to come back and repare

Jean-luc Izard The engine was a Mercedes 3 liter diesel turbo preparation by NANNI Diesel for a marine use. The boat was near 6 meters long ! and very fast before to crach in my boat !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for helping me out with more info about the racing incident

Lars Strom
04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't know how the race is run this year Ron.

More Renato Molinari history..

Lars Strom
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Renato on top.. the F1-V8 race in Como 1982.

Roger Jenkins left and Cees Van Der Velden right.

Photo: Marcello Curioni

Lars Strom
04-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't know if Molinari ever made a small hydro..but here is Renato looking at a König..Not sure where and when..

Ron Hill
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
I really don't recall where I saw it, but it was around 1970, and it had a Mark 55-H on it, and the hydro said Molinari on a metal name tag. I almost remember it as a "Lay Down" small hydro. I race Harry Bartolmei's Schultz 500 CC Hydro in 1967, so Molinari may have built a few small hydros. As I understand it, Georgio Molinari uses the internet, but Renato does NOT. Maybe, Massimo Scotti could find out some information foe us.

Danny Pigott
04-15-2013, 04:27 PM
A Molinari Hydro was the first outboard to run 100 plus mph in 1955 it looked like a copy of a Swift . This was before Renato's time but must have been built by someone in his family

Lars Strom
04-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks for a very interesting post Danny..Must have been Angelo Molinari.
Renato's dad.

A Mosny
04-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Danny, check your messages. Old friend from Jenks Outboard

crewman060
04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Danny dad said the sherrif picked a hydro up in atl at Flying Tigers air freight.thought he said molanari.late 59 maybe 60,could have been a marchetti.

Lars Strom
04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
A Molinari/Martini/Evinrude racing sticker from 1983

Lars Strom
04-17-2013, 11:47 AM
How is the 24 being raced now? 3 eight hour races?

I have asked FrenchPhil the question here..hopefully we have a answer soon..

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?15482-Rouen-2013-50th-Edition-May-18-20th&p=130658#post130658

Lars Strom
04-22-2013, 10:27 AM
The masters of Formula 1 Powerboat racing..Cees van der Velden, Bill Seebold and Renato Molinari to the right.

Photo..Etienne Otterspeer

Lars Strom
04-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Drammen, Norway 1981

Renato standing in his #65 Tecnocar/Molinari/Evinrude V8.

Photo: Per Simonsen

Lars Strom
05-02-2013, 03:47 AM
Molinari/Martini/Evinrude World Champ 1983

Lars Strom
05-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Renato Molinari drove to victory in the Dutch 3 Hour GP 1977

Here is the Powerboat & Waterskiing story from the race and I need Steve Pinson to help out with more info.
Steve was driving a Barracuda but I think he got hit with bad luck. I think Hans Pelster is driving the Burgess/Johnson V-6 with race # 4 in the OZ class??..small picture or is it Steve Pinson. Look more like a Burgess the Barracuda??

calvin
05-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Was renatos race team financed by the govt?

Lars Strom
05-08-2013, 06:16 AM
I was told years ago that the Italian Powerboat Federation received lots of money from the Italian government.
They than gave money to the best Italian drivers in different classes based on successes.

Pretty sure Renato was one of them..lots of Mercury/OMC/Martini/SAFFA/Tecnocar money also

Steve Pinson
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Renato Molinari drove to victory in the Dutch 3 Hour GP 1977

Here is the Powerboat & Waterskiing story from the race and I need Steve Pinson to help out with more info.
Steve was driving a Barracuda but I think he got hit with bad luck. I think Hans Pelster is driving the Burgess/Johnson V-6 with race # 4 in the OZ class??..small picture or is it Steve Pinson. Look more like a Burgess the Barracuda?? I can remember this race well Lars it was very exciting for me i was driving the no 4 boat which was a Burgess boat the first OZ boat he built for OMC Brugge in 1975` and was my old friend Alfi Bullens old boat he had just taken delivery of a new Hodges boat and i was told by Paul Kalbe head of European racing for OMC i had to drive it i remember sitting in the boat and thinking Alfi is 80lbs heavier than me and i remember thinking this is going to be a fun ride.My good friend and OMC teamate Hans Pelster had just taken delivery of a brand new burgess boat for this race i think it was the fastest boat in the race and he was doing good until he had a collision with Velden which put them both out`well i managed 2nd place behind Molinari which i was pleased with.Now for sundays race i borrowed Pelsters prop which was better than the one i had been using so everything looked good until the last half hour i did get a black flag for going wide on the top buoy on the outside of Molinari where the water was shallow not for the wrong side of a buoy which was tuff luck for me!.

Lars Strom
05-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks Steve..that is a very good memory you have from Amsterdam 1977.
I remember the Burgess you drove from OMC Brugge the year before.
Alf Bullen was driving it like a mad man to victory in Amsterdam 1976. I was there racing Paul Kalb´s OE boat.
(Paul was in my opinion the worse thing that happen to OMC in Brygge. I like the way Roger Jenkins wrote on FB a few months ago about Paul..but can not repeat that here)..

Below is Alf Bullen in the same boat..
I have one more interesting picture of you..Bristol 1979..I am going to post it soon..;)

AMSTERDAM 3 Hours 1976..
The overall winner was Alf Bullen of England driving a V-6 Johnson powering a Burgess tunnel boat in the OZ class. #6

Second picture is Steve in the same Burgess/Johnson V-6 in Amsterdam 1977..#4 (it is not a Barracuda)...Again Thanks Steve to correct this.

Lars Strom
05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Back on topic..Molinari boats..!!

Steve Pinson drove a Molinari/Johnson V-6 in Bristol 1979..#17
Please..tell us the story about this Steve..??
This boat look exactly like the OZ Saffa/Molinari/Evinrude V-6 I drove with Angelo Vassena in Paris 6 Hours 1978.
Well different paint job

Steve Pinson
05-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Please..tell us the story about this Steve..??
This boat look exactly like the OZ Saffa/Molinari/Evinrude V-6 I drove with Angelo Vassena in Paris 6 Hours 1978.
Well different paint job What a good looking boat Lars even after all these years i remember enjoying driving this boat at Bristol until it started taking on water and got slower and slower due to a split tunnel.This was the 18ft version that i used but the year before Hering and Molinari had used the 17ft version?

Lake X Kid
05-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Roy Ridgell factory driver for Mercury Marine is driving the first Molinari boat to race in the USA. Nice single tune exhaust stack on the Merc engine. This the Gold Coast (Miami to West Palm Beach and back) race in the early-mid 1960s.

Rob Pols
05-20-2013, 05:13 AM
What about this 1:43 scale model of Molinari from 1994 made by Spark ?

Regards Rob

Lars Strom
05-29-2013, 08:04 PM
One more from Motomaso, Spain

Lars Strom
05-30-2013, 07:49 AM
One more Molinari boat with Mercury power..1983-PV-VE Race, Driver Alberto Fioretta.

Lars Strom
06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Not really sure about this Saffa/Molinari/Johnson V-6..Been told it is Renato driving in Bristol 1979..but I did never see him race Johnson..only Evinrude cowlings??

I was in Bristol 1979..The first year Merc raced the T-4 and Renato raced a 3 liter Evinrude..The driver in this picture must be someone else..Maybe Bob Hering and it looks like the old style cross-flow Johnson.
Maybe the year of this picture is 1977 or -78.

Steve Pinson
06-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Not really sure about this Saffa/Molinari/Johnson V-6..Been told it is Renato driving in Bristol 1979..but I did never see him race Johnson..only Evinrude cowlings??

I was in Bristol 1979..The first year Merc raced the T-4 and Renato raced a 3 liter Evinrude..The driver in this picture must be someone else..Maybe Bob Hering and it looks like the old style cross-flow Johnson.
Maybe the year of this picture is 1977 or -78. Lars i think this picture is of the 1977 Bristol race Bob Hering along with Renato used the marathon boats in that year.I am sure Bob Hering came for the Bristol race on his own in 1978 and used the smaller sprint Molinari?.

Lars Strom
06-04-2013, 05:17 PM
You are right Steve..It is Bob Hering in Bristol 1977..

Steve Pinson
06-08-2013, 07:04 AM
You are right Steve..It is Bob Hering in Bristol 1977.. Bob Hering drove that same Molinari boat in the 1977 London Thames race he was lyng 2nd when he submarined it Molinari himself ran a 20ft boat for that race only and lead the race until he retired with lower unit failure they did not break but the props hitting driftwood in the water bent the driveshafts that happened to all of the omc boats then they ran out of spare lower units.Mercury had a good supply of lower units and managed to keep the few rigs left running to the end of the race.Just a little story about Bob Hering to finish with after the Thames race Bob came with a sprint boat to a 1 hour race in holland he came alone with a few of Molinaris crew and the head of OMC Racing in europe Paul Kalb had just been told the 2.5 crossflow engines could be reved out to 8400 revs for shorter races so when Hering heard this he jumped in his car to find a garage workshop with the tools to work his magic on his own prop.

Ron Hill
06-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Brad Miller bought a Molinari that we were told, later, was a boat that Bob Hering "STUFFED" in Paris, 1977. Does anyone know if Bobby Hering "STUFFED" in Paris also? I'm think the boat we bought might have been Bobby's boat from England. Fred Hauenstein and I drove this boat to win the Parker 9 Hour, 1978!

I'll add, I don't think Bob worked on a propeller of his own until he went to work making them up in Seattle area...Renato was REAL close to Record Props in those days....and Record props "kicked ***" on most propellers in those days!

Ron Hill
06-08-2013, 07:17 PM
You are right Steve..It is Bob Hering in Bristol 1977..

This looks like our Molinari....

Lars Strom
06-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Paris 1977

Smokin' Joe
06-09-2013, 07:57 AM
This looks like our Molinari....

Gene Thibodaux drove this in Mod 50. I bought it from him in 1983, ran SE in the new league
but the boat didn't run with a 75, was glued to the water (bad acceleration) even after I added
a lift strake. Bill Kelly, then out of Seattle, had the sister boat, he ran a Super Strangler and won his class at
Little Rock where I may have managed a 4th in SE by exercising 'driving skills' in the slowest boat on the
course. Those were the real days of boat racing, the 1970s and 1980s.

Lars Strom
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM

Steve Pinson
06-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Brad Miller bought a Molinari that we were told, later, was a boat that Bob Hering "STUFFED" in Paris, 1977. Does anyone know if Bobby Hering "STUFFED" in Paris also? I'm think the boat we bought might have been Bobby's boat from England. Fred Hauenstein and I drove this boat to win the Parker 9 Hour, 1978!

I'll add, I don't think Bob worked on a propeller of his own until he went to work making them up in Seattle area...Renato was REAL close to Record Props in those days....and Record props "kicked ***" on most propellers in those days! First of all this 1977 Paris 6hr race was a lost opportunity any of at least 5 OMC Molinari outfits could have won this race mine included my co-driver hit a upturned boat we lost at least 30 mins and still finished 4th.Now it gets better i do know Fred Haunstein was over with his mother and did drive a new Red or Orange Molinari i think he was teamed up with Ken Stevenson he even assembled his own engine but it didn`t last.Now back to the subject of props OMC had a strict policy HENRIX PROPS ONLY head of European Racing Paul Kalbe made it clear it was more than his job was worth to buy OZ engine props from anywhere else i think he may have sneaked a few 3cyl props maybe off you Ron?At the OMC factory at Brugge we struggled using old 2litre props for at least 18 months on the 2.5 litre engines some were ok on sprint courses but i did managed to get 2 new props in october 1978 in time for the 1978 Paris race i think the racing Budget for Brugge was given to Molinari. Immediately after the 1977 Paris race all the injected engines all the lightweight dry cell batteries all the props all the new Molinaris except mine were shipped back to the US.Now the only OMC Molinari that was stuffed at Paris was by your goodfriend Jimbo Mconnell that was in 1979?Back to Bob Hering he was back in the US in 1979 and was sending reworked props back to the UK all to order for some of my teamates i am not sure if the drivers bought them or OMC paid but they were delivered to the races personally by the OMC importer himself?

Lars Strom
06-11-2013, 08:24 PM
More Renato Molinari-Bob Hering..

Lars Strom
06-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Steve Pinson
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Paris 1977 Well Lars this thread is all about outboard racing history so i have a little story about Ray Bulmans Paris 6hr 1977 race report that you have just posted on (176) i read with interest the part about Bill Badsey`s boat catching fire in the pits on the saturday which was the day before race day.Well the boat that did catch fire was OMC driver Peter Thorneyworks yellow Couger boat his mechanic and friend Guy Brooks was changing the fuel filters when he shorted the battery out`the rules are no fuel in boats before race day.Well after the fire was extinguished the Gendarm`s imposed a huge fine on Peter wanting thousands of Francs to release his boat so he let them cool down for a few hours then rounded up the Couger crew with Clive Curtis and James Beard and his own crew then surprised the Gendalm`s with a push of war well it was like watching a Keystones Cops movie they used the steel barriers to force the Gendalm`s back enough to let his Range Rover and boat through and off he went with a van full of Gendalm`s in pirsuit i am not sure what happened after but it was very entertaining for the crowds to watch?

Lars Strom
06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Thank you Steve..I remember the fire and was having major argument with my fuel for the Molinari/Volvo Penta/Konig that year.

A Volvo Penta/Konig outboard in Paris Six Hours 1977.

http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/a-konig-outboard-in-paris-six-hours-1977/

Lake X Kid
07-28-2013, 01:08 PM

Here are three boat racers who have driven Mercury powered Molinari boats.
Roy Ridgell, Giovanni Pellolio, and Cees Vander Veldon, with the Lake X Kid far left in the photo.

Cees in the 70's eventually started building his own brand of race tunnel boats in Holland, then started competing against the Molinari boats.
Giovanni had a resturant on the other side of Lago di Como, north of the Molinari boat shop. He also was a member of the Mercury European racing team.
Roy Ridgell was Mercury European Race Manager, and lived on the lake next to the Molinari boat shop. Supposedly Roy raced the first Molinari hull (boat# 888) in the USA at the Gold Coast race in Florida, during the mid 1960's.

Lake X Kid
07-28-2013, 02:26 PM

On post# 64 photo, this dual engine rig (boat# 68) I notice that Renato named it after his long-time girlfriend Miss Tati.
I do not know if Miss (pronounce Tee Tee) ever got Renato to marry her.

Lars Strom
08-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Don't know but Renato had a very young girlfriend when he was racing Evinrude V-8

Renato Molinari Milano 1982
Photo: Nino Molla

Lars Strom
08-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Angelo Molinari Renato´s father.

Lake X Kid
08-11-2013, 02:13 PM
This is supposedly the first Molinari hull to be imported to and raced in the USA.
Boat# 888 was driven by Mercury factory driver Roy Ridgell from Lake X, at the Gold Coast race from Miami beach to West Palm Beach, and back to Miami, Florida.

This is early to mid 60's photo race.

Lake X Kid
08-13-2013, 06:16 PM
This is where the boats were lowered and lifted out of the water inside the Molinari plant on Lago Di Como. The boat lift was on the south side of the building and the open lake to the left of the photo.

This is an early 1970’s photo with the Lake X Kid operating the lift. The roll-away wooden floor (rolling towards the camerman in this photo) reveals the lake's water edge, where the boats are lowered and raised in the Molinari boat shop.

Lake X Kid
08-13-2013, 06:32 PM
This is a early 1970's photo of a Merc powered Molinari tunnel boat.
This photo is when we were at the big race in Aronzo, Italy in the early 1970's. Where Renato took the win in a great duel against his cousin Ceasare Scotti. Tom Percival, Bob Spaulding and Cees Vander Veldon were racing for third place against eachother.

Mike Downard (in the attach photo) came and represented the USA, but blew-over, and Roy Ridgell told me it was a faulty solenoid on the power-trim pump, that cause the problem. Unfortunately Mike hurt is leg.

Lake X Kid
08-13-2013, 07:04 PM
5473154732[QUOTE=Lake X Kid;133199]Molinari boats & Scotti craft prepare to compete at Lago Di Bolsena boat race 1971.

Renato take's win and beats cousin Cesare Scotti who takes second place overall.

Here are two Molinari hulls sandwiching a Scotti craft at Lago Di Bolsena in central Italy. That is Renato in the yellow racing suit. In the foreground is racer Carlo Rassini with young Timothy Ridgell sitting between the banker and his chauffeur Gigi.
Notice the Merc straight 6 motor next to the OMC v4 engine, and I believe the boats's bows pitch higher-up when just sitting in the water than today's F1 race boats.

Ron Hill
08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Everyone seems to have great pictures of Molinari, Scotti, Rassini and others. No one seems to have pictures of Carlo Rassini's daughter. She was a "STONE FOX"....totally beautiful!

Great pictures Lake "X" Kid...those were the days.

Smokin' Joe
08-14-2013, 12:44 AM
This is where the boats were lowered and lifted out of the water inside the Molinari plant on Lago Di Como. The boat lift was on the south side of the building and the open lake to the left of the photo.

This is an early 1970’s photo with the Lake X Kid operating the lift.

Where on the lake was the plant? I know it's history but when I'm in Austria
I'm 4-5 hrs. from Lago di Como. There's an outboard/boat museum on the
lake too.

Lars Strom
08-14-2013, 06:24 PM
I do not remember 100% but in one of the two red lines.

Lake X Kid
08-14-2013, 07:40 PM
I do not remember 100% but in one of the two red lines.

The Molinari race boat plant (separate from Renato’s father Angelo boat yard) is north of the famous luxury Villa de Este hotel, where the rich & famous stay. Lars your map’s red line (post# 197) on top is closer to the lakeside race boat plant’s location.

Driving northbound from the city of Como one goes and stops in the old section of Cernobbio to wait for the green light and then go through the one lane street (about one block long of one way traffic). Then drive past the Villa d’ Este to the village of Torriggia. The Molinari plant is just north of where the Old Via Regina lakeside road comes back up and connects to the New Via Regina street.

The building’s third floor is street level with the Via Regina road. Remember this is the foothills of the Italian Alps and Como di Lago is a mountain lake. That means there are a lot of steps from the street level down to the water edge where the building’s bottom floor is.

Steve Pinson
08-15-2013, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Lake X Kid;132943]5466954595

Here are three boat racers who have driven Mercury powered Molinari boats.
Roy Ridgell, Giovanni Pellolio, and Cees Vander Veldon, with the Lake X Kid far left in the photo.

You mentioned Giovanni Pellolio i can remember he came to the UK as Molinaris co-driver in 1971 to race in the Chasewater 500 mile race which consisted of 250miles racing on saturday and 250miles racing on sunday.The British Shakespeare team boat which had OMC power won the saturdays race but Molinari and Pellolio won the sundays race and won outright` but i remember it being a very close run race Molinari won by only half a lap?

Lake X Kid
08-17-2013, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=Lake X Kid;132943]5466954595

You mentioned Giovanni Pellolio i can remember he came to the UK as Molinaris co-driver in 1971 to race in the Chasewater 500 mile race which consisted of 250miles racing on saturday and 250miles racing on sunday.The British Shakespeare team boat which had OMC power won the saturdays race but Molinari and Pellolio won the sundays race and won outright` but i remember it being a very close run race Molinari won by only half a lap?

If memory serves me correctly, I was at that race and I was unimpressed with the racing site. Especially compared to one of my favorite’s race sites like Bristol, England. That Chasewater race seemed overcast and chilly, and spectator attendance was slim.

After that race I do not know if Giovanni ever got to co-drive with Renato again. Giovanni, I think idolized Renato, but Renato had his way of keeping the racing fraternity (including the Italians) at arms length. Renato, in the early 70’s when I knew him, was a dedicated no-nonsense racer with a minimal of socializing. My observation was Giovanni new his place (and accepted it) and it was not as a coequal of the legendary Renato. Giovanni always seemed to me to be appreciative of piloting new Molinari boats with the backing of the Mercury powered support team.

In the photo at Mr. Pellolio restaurant is Giovanni's wife standing between him and Cees Vander Veldon. Also in the Bolsena race pit photos that is Giovanni in the light blue race suit with his back to the camera shot.

Bob Herring gelled well with Renato, and I would not be surprised if it was because Bob kept conservation to a minimum, was accommodating, and he was a fast boat racer.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Fascinating inside tales and thoughts Lake X Kid. You are right about Bob, and probably nailed the reason.

jackie wilson
08-19-2013, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Pinson;133303]

If memory serves me correctly, I was at that race and I was unimpressed with the racing site. Especially compared to one of my favorite’s race sites like Bristol, England. That Chasewater race seemed overcast and chilly, and spectator attendance was slim.

After that race I do not know if Giovanni ever got to co-drive with Renato again. Giovanni, I think idolized Renato, but Renato had his way of keeping the racing fraternity (including the Italians) at arms length. Renato, in the early 70’s when I knew him, was a dedicated no-nonsense racer with a minimal of socializing. My observation was Giovanni new his place (and accepted it) and it was not as a coequal of the legendary Renato. Giovanni always seemed to me to be appreciative of piloting new Molinari boats with the backing of the Mercury powered support team.

In the photo at Mr. Pellolio restaurant is Giovanni's wife standing between him and Cees Vander Veldon. Also in the Bolsena race pit photos that is Giovanni in the light blue race suit with his back to the camera shot.

Bob Herring gelled well with Renato, and I would not be surprised if it was because Bob kept conservation to a minimum, was accommodating, and he was a fast boat racer.

Sorry to disagree with you m'boy, Chasewater is and always has been one of the premier venues of English power boat racing.
It's official title is 'SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE HYDROPLANE AND SPEED BOAT CLUB' but most racers know it as simply "CHASE" or "SOUTH STAFFS".
Originally a hydro racing club, it boasts a proud history of events------ie; 24 hour races------500 milers----100 milers-------inter continental events-----Duchess of York {that gold trophy was valued at £100,000} to mention just a few. It can be as rough as any water in the world one day and a mill pond the next----but the pits are good and facilities adequate----and one of the safest places to race.
Must have been a real sh-tty day that you were there----but then again i've raced all over the world and had inclement weather at some time or another at most places.[once had to jump in the water and hold on to the painter at the IDROSCALA in Milan when a storm blew through----me and 20 others including Scotti and Renato].
Pelollio was a good reliable back up driver and his wife ran a great restaurant on the other side of the lake [Scotti side],
We were all goofing off after a huge evening meal when Pelollio took out his shotgun and chased me into the woods, was all good fun,, no i had not been dallying, before you ask.
At the table were Angelo, Renato, Georgio, Scotti and wife, Carlo and Henri Rassini, [ and Carlotta his daughter] Carlo Bodiga, Rolla, Velden, Gigi and Vassena. there was always big eats after a race-----win --lose or draw-----food was always paramount to the Italians.
We used to run an exchange system where the Rassini kids would stay with my family for a month and my daughter Sandra would stay with the Rassini's at the castle up in the mountains.

Lars Strom
08-30-2013, 07:05 PM
I found this picture on FB today..I like..!!

Lars Strom
09-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Renato..not sure what year.

jackie wilson
09-29-2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks Ron..another thing I missed in the sixties..I never meet her at the Six Hours of Stockholm 1968..!!:D

You missed a treat Lassie----beautiful inside and out, as were her brothers Roberta and Mario.
Did a swop with father Carlo------his kids stayed at my house to learn English--(after we had been vetted by GIGI, Carlo's minder) and my eldest daughter stayed with them at his castle in Trento.

By the way ---it was JULIO Corbetta !!!!!!!! Good friend of Billy and my boy Mark.

There was a race in Stockholm before 1968---------was either 66 0r 67 Won by Don Ross driving his yellow 16' LEVI, "GAWD-L-PUS"

Not being belligerent Lassie------"just the facts man---nothing but the facts".

Lars Strom
09-29-2013, 04:11 AM
Stockholms GP 1968 Complete program with entry list

http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/stockholms-gp-for-racerbatar-komplett-program/

Second picture is # 51 Carlo Rosini from Italy. Also in a Molinari /Merc at the Stockholm Six Hours.

Ron Hill
09-29-2013, 12:01 PM
You missed a treat Lassie----beautiful inside and out, as were her brothers Roberta and Mario.
Did a swop with father Carlo------his kids stayed at my house to learn English--(after we had been vetted by GIGI, Carlo's minder) and my eldest daughter stayed with them at his castle in Trento.

By the way ---it was JULIO Corbetta !!!!!!!! Good friend of Billy and my boy Mark.

There was a race in Stockholm before 1968---------was either 66 0r 67 Won by Don Ross driving his yellow 16' LEVI, "GAWD-L-PUS"

Not being belligerent Lassie------"just the facts man---nothing but the facts".

OMC had a 16 foot Levi that they raced a single engine one at Long Beach in June 1970. By then, it was clear the VEE HULL was to going to stay with the tunnels. So, OMC left the boat behind and I took it home.

Jimmy Jost gave me a three cylinder to put on it. We sued the boat a club patrol boat and a ski boat for the river for me. Jimmy gave me a new engine every year, Danny Schwarzenbach would sell it for Evinrude every year. Worked great, a new free motor every year. Danny made a few bucks on the deal.

I never drove the Levi with a HOT V-4 but I remember Freddy hauenstein driving it a Long Beach and it was a handful.

I used to go wave jumping with that Levi in the ocean until a wave jumped me!

If you happen to see any of the Rassini's please say, "Hello for me"...

Love your posts, always, Jackie!!!

jackie wilson
10-01-2013, 03:18 PM
OMC had a 16 foot Levi that they raced a single engine one at Long Beach in June 1970. By then, it was clear the VEE HULL was to going to stay with the tunnels. So, OMC left the boat behind and I took it home.

Jimmy Jost gave me a three cylinder to put on it. We sued the boat a club patrol boat and a ski boat for the river for me. Jimmy gave me a new engine every year, Danny Schwarzenbach would sell it for Evinrude every year. Worked great, a new free motor every year. Danny made a few bucks on the deal.

I never drove the Levi with a HOT V-4 but I remember Freddy hauenstein driving it a Long Beach and it was a handful.

I used to go wave jumping with that Levi in the ocean until a wave jumped me!

If you happen to see any of the Rassini's please say, "Hello for me"...

Love your posts, always, Jackie!!!

John Merryfield and Len Melly were the aristocracy of British powerboating in the 50/60s,they got Sonny Levi to design a V bottom 16' cold moulded ply about 1962.
Another smart move was to get the boatbuilder Souters to build them.
The very first boat had a tendency to dip its gunwale under water when you stepped aboard. This was overcome by filling the bilges With water when the boat was at rest in the pits.
Result of this was, it took a hell of a long time to empty, the rest of the pack were long gone before the Levi even got up and running, took six months before a solution was found, but then there was nothing could live with that boat for the next two years.
Perfect combination, 100 hp. And a Levi 16'.
Then along came Jones, Molinari, Torriggia.
1964 was pretty even racing, then the power output got bigger, the Levi could not cope with this, and kept dipping it's snout under at anything approaching 70 mph, whilst the tunnels were begging for more hp.
My last race in a Levi was on the Thames------I had just sold my Molinari to Don Ross the day before the race, I then bought Julian Bailey's Levi (Phaedra)----- submarined that damn boat at least a hundred times and swore I would never ever sit in a V bottom again.
I know I ramble a lot Ron------the point I am trying to make is------even with 125hp the Levi was a wild uncontrollable beasty, and I loathed it.
Don Ross loved it---he was a master of the V, but he never .liked the tunnels------ even though he won the Thames race with the Molinari.

Ron Hill
10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Every thing you post Jackie, might be "RAMBLING" but I read ever word several times.

I always remember the "IT STOPS" at the Parker 9 Hour....You "COSWORTH" guys had "TEA" while the crew fueled the boat and checked under the "BONNET"..Oh, boats do have "BONNETS".....but there was no "RUSH" at the stops.

My first Six Hours of Paris, 1967, I have to admit, I really thought every one was crazy except us "Tunnel (ON) Drivers"....All day long all I saw was Vee Bottoms backing out of the water prop first as they kept "NOSE DIVING".

20:20 hindsight, no one seemed to get hurt from "NOSE DIVING" and "BLOW OVERS" hurt a "**** LOAD"...My first Paris race impressed me as "BOAT RACER SPORTSMEN". They came to race for fun. It seemed to change quickly!

Not trying to pass judgement, but I don't think "FACTORY" participation helped the sport.

jackie wilson
10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Every thing you post Jackie, might be "RAMBLING" but I read ever word several times.

I always remember the "IT STOPS" at the Parker 9 Hour....You "COSWORTH" guys had "TEA" while the crew fueled the boat and checked under the "BONNET"..Oh, boats do have "BONNETS".....but there was no "RUSH" at the stops.

My first Six Hours of Paris, 1967, I have to admit, I really thought every one was crazy except us "Tunnel (ON) Drivers"....All day long all I saw was Vee Bottoms backing out of the water prop first as they kept "NOSE DIVING".

20:20 hindsight, no one seemed to get hurt from "NOSE DIVING" and "BLOW OVERS" hurt a "**** LOAD"...My first Paris race impressed me as "BOAT RACER SPORTSMEN". They came to race for fun. It seemed to change quickly!

Not trying to pass judgement, but I don't think "FACTORY" participation helped the sport.
Ain't that the truth Ron, the sign on my 26' GMC 6 wheeler pump up camper van read, RACING FOR FUN---did just that,then the factories got involved. That would have been OK if they had just stuck to making "product", but no, they had to get political and try to alter history, which they did very efficiently by having their own private war.
Finger can be pointed at both camps----- you either did what you were told or get kicked out of " THE BROWNIES",
You really want to get into this with me Ron--------- we could open a dustbin load between us, start another thread for Gods sake, this one's too good to soil.

Steve Pinson
10-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Not trying to pass judgement, but I don't think "FACTORY" participation helped the sport. Ron i think your first Paris 6hr race experience was driving a Shultz Hydrocat let us have a few of your comments about how it drove in the rough water i bet it was a real handfull especially with the barges running.I think your last drive at Paris was in a Scotti boat now that would be a good running boat at that time lets have your comments too on that drive?Paris 1970 would be the year Jackie drove with Molinari 43yrs ago this coming weekend would be nice to have a few words from jackie about his drive in that boat it looked a smooth running outfit?55083

jackie wilson
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
55083 Ron i think your first Paris 6hr race experience was driving a Shultz Hydrocat let us have a few of your comments about how it drove in the rough water i bet it was a real handfull especially with the barges running.I think your last drive at Paris was in a Scotti boat now that would be a good running boat at that time lets have your comments too on that drive?Paris 1970 would be the year Jackie drove with Molinari 43yrs ago this coming weekend would be nice to have a few words from jackie about his drive in that boat it looked a smooth running outfit?55083

Every time that damn 1970 Paris 6 hrs rears it's ugly head it brings back a wealth of good and bad memories.
Until that race, I had been friends with Renato for over 5 years, I had sat down at the dinner table in Angelo's
House in Como many times and young bro. Giorgio and his wife were close friends too.
Rossy and I had won damn near everything we entered all over Europe in 1970, the marriage of my " Monday Molinari" and mighty Merc was one made in heaven, perfect boat that was exciting to drive and a powerhouse with an unbreakable heart, the combination was every boat racers dream, then we prepared for Paris????????
As usual Renato had built a new boat, and had persuaded G.G. That he wanted me as co- driver, I was none too happy about this, as I knew I had the Paris winner in my own boat.
We tested the nuts off'n the armchair sedan that Renato had built for the race------I kid you not, that boat was an armchair ride------my old granny could have driven that boat for 2 hours while she was doing her knitting, it never got out of shape, or did anything other than circumnavigate at a tolerable rate of knots.
My own boat was light years quicker than Renatos and I told him so, he wouldn't even try my rig himself, would have lost face or some such tripe was the excuse.
I got all pissed off and up tight, in a mad fit of depression I told PRUETT he could race my boat,he talked to GG and 'twas decided he could run it.
History tells us that Posey and Sanders won the race------by no less than 3 laps if you please, Well here' s the strange thing, NOBODY ever passed me in the middle 2 hours-------Renato swears blind nobody ever passed him, therefore he came to the conclusion that I cost him the race.
Rolla had kept all the lap times and it turned out the times were identical.
Pit stops by Mercury were always better than O.M.C.s, so no time was lost there.
Maybe you will understand why that race was not my favourite.
PRUETT was not the best by any means, and he weighed in a good fifty pounds heavier than me, but at the2 hour mark he was classified 3 rd behind Sanders and Posey. He threw a blade which cost him dearly.
Paris timing was always suspect and was done with 3 stop watches 2calling birds and a pillock up a pear tree.
43 years later-----------I'm still pissed over it all, wasn't just the race I lost but something far more valuable.

Steve Pinson
10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
John Merryfield and Len Melly were the aristocracy of British powerboating in the 50/60s,they got Sonny Levi to design a V bottom 16' cold moulded ply about 1962.
Another smart move was to get the boatbuilder Souters to build them.
The very first boat had a tendency to dip its gunwale under water when you stepped aboard. This was overcome by filling the bilges With water when the boat was at rest in the pits.
Result of this was, it took a hell of a long time to empty, the rest of the pack were long gone before the Levi even got up and running, took six months before a solution was found, but then there was nothing could live with that boat for the next two years.
Perfect combination, 100 hp. And a Levi 16'.
Then along came Jones, Molinari, Torriggia.
1964 was pretty even racing, then the power output got bigger, the Levi could not cope with this, and kept dipping it's snout under at anything approaching 70 mph, whilst the tunnels were begging for more hp.
My last race in a Levi was on the Thames------I had just sold my Molinari to Don Ross the day before the race, I then bought Julian Bailey's Levi (Phaedra)----- submarined that damn boat at least a hundred times and swore I would never ever sit in a V bottom again.
I know I ramble a lot Ron------the point I am trying to make is------even with 125hp the Levi was a wild uncontrollable beasty, and I loathed it.
Don Ross loved it---he was a master of the V, but he never .liked the tunnels------ even though he won the Thames race with the Molinari. Jackie can you remember the MM Hulls cat Sonny Levi designed` the Motor Boat and Yachting magazine had it in a centre spread looked the part can you remember the drivers name who ordered it i think his first name was Phill.Alfi Bullen towed it up to Carr Mill to test it fitted with a 125hp Mercury Alfi couldn`t get it to plane it was laminated cold moulded and weighed a ton i do know they had to give him his money back do you remember this?

jackie wilson
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Jackie can you remember the MM Hulls cat Sonny Levi designed` the Motor Boat and Yachting magazine had it in a centre spread looked the part can you remember the drivers name who ordered it i think his first name was Phill.Alfi Bullen towed it up to Carr Mill to test it fitted with a 125hp Mercury Alfi couldn`t get it to plane it was laminated cold moulded and weighed a ton i do know they had to give him his money back do you remember this?

Remember it very well indeed, the guy who commissioned the Levi tunnel was Phil Hook.
There was much speculation and a lot of leaked secrecy about the project and the consensus of opinion was, it would wipe the floor with anything else that was presently running.
Shakey was doing well at this time, and he and Merryfield were at loggerheads and not quite bosom buddies.
The 16' V was well past it's sell by date so this new device of Phil's was expected to be something special.
It never appeared on the circuit and the first time I saw it I knew why, at 20+in length and built like a brick toilet (triple cold moulded ply) it would never see 70mph even with triple 125's.
Told him the best thing he could do was burn it, it mysteriously caught fire on the trailer a short while later and saved a shed load of embarrassment all round.
It never did a race and double m never had to pay out. Anything else Steve.....?

Ron Hill
10-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I was supposed to go to The Six Hours of Paris, 1973, but ended up staying home and my daughter was born on the day of the race, 1973. I have not been back to Paris since 1972.The first year I raced the "SIX HOUR", Ted may and I ran second almost all day, but we got third. Seems, one time I went between the barges and the turn buoy and they missed me. Rick Keller was paid by OMC to keep track of the lap times. I know this for a fact, as Rick tried to get me to drive for him. He said I was the most consistent driver OMC had, and for the power I was given, also the fastest, even though I weighed 230 pounds. In 1972, Jimbo and drove together, everyone considered Jimbo OMC's number one driver. Any way, Jackie, in 1970, John Schubert and I drove together. It seemed, John and I were close to the front all day, we had a steering cable issue and ended up 8th. I think we only ran an hour and half fuel load. I do recall, saying, "Wow, they won by three laps!" When you are out on the course, you get a feeling of what is going on. At the pit stops you as a few questions. Didn't Lars have the results from 1970 somewhere??? Seems we ended up more laps down that I thought possible.

jackie wilson
10-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I was supposed to go to The Six Hours of Paris, 1973, but ended up staying home and my daughter was born on the day of the race, 1973. I have not been back to Paris since 1972.The first year I raced the "SIX HOUR", Ted may and I ran second almost all day, but we got third. Seems, one time I went between the barges and the turn buoy and they missed me. Rick Keller was paid by OMC to keep track of the lap times. I know this for a fact, as Rick tried to get me to drive for him. He said I was the most consistent driver OMC had, and for the power I was given, also the fastest, even though I weighed 230 pounds. In 1972, Jimbo and drove together, everyone considered Jimbo OMC's number one driver. Any way, Jackie, in 1970, John Schubert and I drove together. It seemed, John and I were close to the front all day, we had a steering cable issue and ended up 8th. I think we only ran an hour and half fuel load. I do recall, saying, "Wow, they won by three laps!" When you are out on the course, you get a feeling of what is going on. At the pit stops you as a few questions. Didn't Lars have the results from 1970 somewhere??? Seems we ended up more laps down that I thought possible.
When you take over the lead boat in any marathon, you sure as hell know if a boat passes you or even threatens, Renato had the lead at 2 hours and nobody passed me, he said the same thing.
Where the 3 winning laps came from is anybody's guess, but that was Paris.

Steve Pinson
10-12-2013, 02:23 AM
I was supposed to go to The Six Hours of Paris, 1973, but ended up staying home and my daughter was born on the day of the race, 1973. I have not been back to Paris since 1972.The first year I raced the "SIX HOUR", Ted may and I ran second almost all day, but we got third. Seems, one time I went between the barges and the turn buoy and they missed me. Rick Keller was paid by OMC to keep track of the lap times. I know this for a fact, as Rick tried to get me to drive for him. He said I was the most consistent driver OMC had, and for the power I was given, also the fastest, even though I weighed 230 pounds. In 1972, Jimbo and drove together, everyone considered Jimbo OMC's number one driver. Any way, Jackie, in 1970, John Schubert and I drove together. It seemed, John and I were close to the front all day, we had a steering cable issue and ended up 8th. I think we only ran an hour and half fuel load. I do recall, saying, "Wow, they won by three laps!" When you are out on the course, you get a feeling of what is going on. At the pit stops you as a few questions. Didn't Lars have the results from 1970 somewhere??? Seems we ended up more laps down that I thought possible. I have found a few pictures of the Paris 6hr race 1968 and 1972?

Lars Strom
10-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Renato Molinari today in Como for a 100 miles race.

jackie wilson
10-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Inland revinue moved into the Torriggia factory, stayed there for four years.
Nailed Renato's hide to the wall and left him skint and broken.
Didn't matter a toss to them he was a national icon, if he had a glass of wine or water, they taxed him on it.
One day I will tell you of Renato' s long long fall from grace-------- but not for a while yet.

Hear your moving back to Stuart Lars, Hope to see you again soon, J.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I cannot remember seeing such a smile as in the last two photos. Grandkids will do it every time.

jackie wilson
10-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I cannot remember seeing such a smile as in the last two photos. Grandkids will do it every time.

No, it's not just you my friend, I have 11 of the little blighters, (some not so little, Craig weighs in at 200lbs and stands 6'plus) and 8 great grand kids.
The smile comes from thinking how rich you might have been if you didn't have them and how poor you would be without them.
As far as I know Renato does not have any grand kids, that boy looks a lot like brother Giorgio.
Martini jacket was always his favourite and dates from the late 80's

Lars Strom
10-16-2013, 11:56 PM

I asked Laura Pertusini who the kid is next to Renato Molinari and here is her answer.

"He is my son Guglielmo , his grandfather is Saverio Pertusini, he was a pilote in seventies. Now, Guglielmo is attending powerboat school"

jackie wilson
10-17-2013, 04:38 AM
I asked Laura Pertusini who the kid is next to Renato Molinari and here is her answer.

"He is my son Guglielmo , his grandfather is Saverio Pertusini, he was a pilote in seventies. Now, Guglielmo is attending powerboat school"

Phew, Lars, I'm glad you cleared that one up.
My dear old mum always used to say------before you have grandchildren----- you need to have children------wise old biddy my mother.
------

jackie wilson
10-17-2013, 04:44 AM
Good to see the Italians are still running a powerboat school, government funded I bet.
That's why they produce great champions, Scotti, Molinari,Cappolini etc,
Probably do the same thing in race cars.

Lars Strom
10-17-2013, 05:04 AM
I read some racing news and Guido Cappellini is one of the instructors..

CAPPELLINI BACK INTO A FORMULA 1 BOAT - BUT AS AN INSTRUCTOR
Guido Cappellini holds a training school

http://raceboatinternational.com/index.php?id=954

Lars Strom
10-26-2013, 11:02 AM
I think this Molinari/Nordica sponsored boat is driven by Kicco Vidoli. Maybe 1985..or later..(The 6 inch mis-section V8)

jackie wilson
10-27-2013, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=Lars Strom;134807]Please..I put lots of time in to this thread about Molinari and his boats. Please try to stay on topic..!![/QUOTE

Er, 'mescuse, where did we go off topic ?..... Renato and the kid,??????? Not his kith or kin ?? Italian boat racing education, ???? Cappellini ? Don't seem to me like we went galaxy bound, just think yourself lucky somebody was interested Lars.

jackie wilson
10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Steve Pinson took all his off topic posts out a day ago. Thank you.
It was not you "this time" Jackie..!!:D

Iv'e known Steve for over 40 years and he is as keen a racer as you are Lassie, i'm sure he didn't wander far off the main topic---you probably pissed him off by being a tad pedantic.
Change it's not my nuts heading for the crusher----one must be thankful for small mercies.
There was only ever 3 number one boat racers and neither you or me is one of 'em--------Seebold----Sirois----Molinari----in no particular order-----just a pity Sirois went offshore about the time of the factory duels, though he did get a few months in with both Renato and Billy.
Renato never did reach the same dizzy heights in Offshore, though he did come second in a heat in Trieste in a boat of his own design and build. Maybe you can elucidate on his venture into "Offshore" Lassie.???

Lars Strom
10-28-2013, 09:56 AM
I don't think Steve got upset..if he did I like to apologize right now..it was pictures of a V-hull and there is a very interesting thread about you..(Jackie Wilson) here..
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?4219-Jackie-Wilson&p=133341#post133341

You need to get going there again Jackie..

jackie wilson
10-28-2013, 03:35 PM
I don't think Steve got upset..if he did I like to apologize right now..it was pictures of a V-hull and there is a very interesting thread about you..(Jackie Wilson) here..
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?4219-Jackie-Wilson&p=133341#post133341

You need to get going there again Jackie..

Been there, got the t shirt-----site looks dead and buried to me-----no point in flogging a dead donkey.

Lars Strom
10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Renato and his passenger making a victory lap.. 1983

Lars Strom
11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Renato and his passenger making a victory lap.. 1983

Very interesting..the passenger on the back of Renato's boat below is Fabio Porta..I am now a friend of him at Facebook.
I asked Fabio to show this thread to Renato.

Lars Strom
11-04-2013, 05:31 AM

Lars Strom
11-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Renato Molinari in his Molinari/Saffa/Evinrude CCC in Paris 6 hours 1977.

Lars Strom
11-15-2013, 04:46 PM

More from "Stockholm 6 hours" 1968..Sorry for Swedish only

calvin
11-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Looks like #37 is a Chrysler?

Lars Strom
11-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Yes it is..a Swedish driver Sven Hermansson in the Schulze/Chrysler.

Here is a link to a complete race program with entry list..

http://svera.se/blogg/smorgardsbord/stockholms-gp-for-racerbatar-komplett-program/

Lars Strom
11-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Video.. Renato Molinari testing inboard Cats..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhs9Uwa3tZY&feature=share

Lake X Kid
11-23-2013, 03:24 PM
This is Renato Molinari leaving the Como, Italy race shop to test drive this picklefork.
Later that year in the 1973 fall season, the pickleforks became the dominate Molinari race boats that were built, for the up and coming Paris 6 hour race.

Just before the Paris and Amsterdam race that year, I witness the only time I ever saw Renato flip-over. Getting ready for the 1973 fall race season, Renato took out the first new picklefork (of about 4 or 5 race boats being) built for their maiden races. Renato motors out to the middle of the lake in the -primer paint coat only- boat which was the first boat delivered from the second floor down to the first floor rigging area.

At that time the mountain wind was funneled strong, creating big white cap waves. Bigger swells than any Paris 6 hour race. Renato, I believe, wanted to see how this picklefork design would handle such rough wave conditions. And Mother Nature got the best of Renato who was driving over-his-head. The boat with Renato staying in the cockpit did a lazy blow-over.

This is all in a day’s job, which remind me of Roy Ridgell flipping in the mid 1960’s at Mercury’s Lake X. I came home from school and my mom said dad had to come home to change into some dry clothes. Later in the 1970’s it became a given that tunnel boats can and will blow-over.

I consider my self fortunate in witnessing the fledging small 2-cycle outboards grow-up to compete competitively with their bigger bore inboards. With 1960’s & 70’s formidable technology of power trim, 4 or more bladed props, picklefork hull, and fuel injection has survived as today’s mainstream outboard tunnel boat racing legacy.

Lake X Kid
11-23-2013, 03:58 PM
The house behind Renato’s white race boat and next to the Como race boat shop is where Roy Ridgell (Mercury European Race Manager) lived with his family. That is Roy idling away from shore with the boat house in the background. The house is on the south side of the Molinari race shop.

Most likely the photographer of Renato preparation picklefork test drive is the same photographer in the front seat who took Roy’s picture. In all likelihood it was my brother or me.

The top of the third floor Lake Como race shop is just below street level.

Lars Strom
11-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Ron, I have not seen a video with the 2 liter Merc outboard - inboard a Molinari boat.. Remember there was four-five of them. Do you have a video link..??

The house behind Renato’s white race boat and next to the Como race boat shop is where Roy Ridgell (Mercury European Race Manager) lived with his family. That is Roy idling away from shore with the boat house in the background. The house is on the south side of the Molinari race shop.

Most likely the photographer of Renato preparation picklefork test drive is the same photographer in the front seat who took Roy’s picture. In all likelihood it was my brother or me.

The top of the third floor Lake Como race shop is just below street level.

I asked Marcello Curioni today if the Molinari boat factory buildings are still there..Here is the answer..

Hi Lars Storm.
Renato in 1983-90 had different building at the same time
Two were in Turate for Powerboats , une in Tavernola (close to Cernobbio) for prototypes and une on the lake in Torriggia for tunnel boats . Today the only left is the one in Tavernola.

Lars Strom
11-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Renato Molinari´s Estate a few years ago.

http://www.propertyatlakecomo.it/chi.asp

Lars Strom
11-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Renato in Drammen, Norway 1981. Columbo in a sister boat behind..

Lake X Kid
12-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Renato Molinari´s Estate a few years ago.

http://www.propertyatlakecomo.it/chi.asp

I believe it was 1973 when Renato took possession of the Yellow Villa. Renato moved into the smaller residence which is the building to the far right hand of the photo (on the north side of the Villa). The Yellow Villa is north of the Lago di Como boat shop, on the same side of the lake, less than a mile of away.

Titti (spelling could be wrong), Renato long time girlfriend at the time, helped decorate the interior of the smaller residence. What I remember different about Renato new residence is it had a spiral staircase from the ground floor to the second floor. Nothing else stuck out to me, it being another nice homely feel with a woman's touch. I think a lot of non-southern Europeans would be surprised in how old Renato was, before moving out of Angelo (his parents) house. I do not know that age, but older than the typical American lad.

The larger Villa building was going to be a factory facility for Molinari pleasure boats. That was the rumor I heard from someone not of the Molinari family. Apparently that prospective plan (if true) apparently did not come to fruition. What I remember of the Yellow Villa's inside was a bit round down, and not kept up ─to its former glory. Maybe the Molinaris brought it back to a prime estate later. Never the less it was impressive looking at the Villa from the lake, and standing on the grounds it had a great view of the lake.

Lars Strom
01-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Interesting..

This complete Molinari - Mercury from 1968 is advertised in Italy today.

Catamarano da corsa Angelo Molinari pezzo unico

http://www.subito.it/nautica/catamarano-da-corsa-angelo-molinari-pezzo-unico-siracusa-73639364.htm?last=1

Google translation from Italian to English.

Asking piece, catamaran racing, entirely marine plywood , 1968, Angelo Molinari built in the shipyards of Lake Como , winning several world championships hull powerboat , driven by valid drivers Sicilian 1970.Possiedo years of the original documents from the era which is also the number of construction . The specimens were built very few , almost everyone in racing these boats were destroyed because he rose from the front and then catapulted to the wind and speed.
The hull is in good condition because it was always well covered and then it was never put in the water , complete with Mercury engine from complete tender document , which is precisely mounted in the hull ( over potting all of the era ) Also this engine is Mercury winner of good races , races that attracted over the years 60/70 all lovers of Italian and foreign motorboating .
No time wasters or curious, contact only if interested , confidential negotiations .

Lars Strom
01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
One more Molinari for sale in italy.

1968 Molinari/Evinrude V4 Starflite.

Hi Lars.

I have one of this Angelo Molinari boat for sale, a original one, this boat is buyed by Manuel Alves Barbosa, and he run with him in Paris (6hour), Marroco and Portugal. In Portugal he was the champion. The boat has repainted and have the original motor a Evinrude Starflite V4.

Orlando Patrício

Lars Strom
01-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Renato in Stockholm GP 1984

Picture: Pelle Brolin

Lake X Kid
01-18-2014, 04:11 PM
I did get invited to Renatos home for dinner..here is the story..[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
A fun memory about a visit to Renato...

I was at the Molinari factory outside Como testing a boat before Paris Six Hours..

Drove my Pontiac Firebird Trans Am from Sweden to Italy..
Renato was not impressed with my loud American Muscle car..!!

Later that day he invited me to his house higher up in the mountains with a view over Lake Como..
(I don't now for sure if this was his only resident I think there was two)

Well..I could not take my car to his place so Renato took me in his brand new white Porsche 911 Turbo..

This ride as a passenger on those narrow mountain roads is hard to forget..!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I (Lake X Kid) like Lars also got a ride from Renato, and here is that episode.

On the way back from the Auronzo Italy boat race (1971 I believe), Renato asked if I wanted to ride back to Como with him. There were two things which are memorable in my mind regarding that road trip. First one is at high speed on the Italian Autostrada, the Porsche 911 has great braking power. When slower traffic ahead maneuvered into the fast lane, out in front of Renato, he operated that Porsche to decelerate so smoothly.

The second adventurous thing is on the mountain road New Via Regina, north of Como heading to Torriggia. There is this long arching stretch of a 180 degree sweeping curve. Renato took that right-handed-turn with tires squealing and I knew he was trying to impress me, and maybe make me a little nervous. But I had so much confidence in Renato driving skill that I just looked down (on my right shoulder) outside the car's window into the deep ravine. Also negotiating that curve, Renato did not ever cross the median line into the opposing traffic side, on this mountain road.

Do not know how close the story is to the truth, but I was told young Renato was considering auto racing with one of the Italian teams -like Alfa Romeo. Apparently Angelo Molinari did not like this pursuit, and persuaded and channeled Renato into boat racing. The logic at the time was auto racing was more dangerous than boat racing. Renato may could have been just another auto racer, but in tunnel outboard racing Renato Molinari created a legacy.

Lake X Kid
01-22-2014, 07:15 PM
“The first American showing of this three year old Italian design was old number 888 which Roy Ridgell of the Kiekhaefer Mercury team drove to a smashing sixth overall with a single engine in the last Miami-Palm Beach version of the Gold Coast Marathon.
But Aronow saw the boats in action while he was touring Europe last summer on his way to the world driving title, and bought a couple for study. The Molinari had won the rugged 6 hour Marathon of Paris two straight years, and even Aronow was impressed. He and the Magnum development team analyzed them from stem to stern and after months of testing, revising and re-designing the twin-keel Maltese magnum 16 went into production.”
Excerpted from the words of Don Aronows son (Michael), www.boatdesign.net
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the old NASCAR slogan "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday",
also applies with the Molinari hull and Maltese Magnum Missile.

In the boating industry too, from the race course (proving grounds) to the dealer's showroom for the public's pleasurable ownership. Lake X Kid.

Lars Strom
02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Renato Molinari Class 1 Cowes 1990

Lars Strom
02-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Credit to Ove Torkilsen.

Lake X Kid
02-27-2014, 08:00 PM

This is the bottom floor –rigging area- of Renato Molinari’s race boat shop, in Como, Italy during the early 1970s.

At the bow of the race boat in the foreground is Giorgio Molinari (Renato’s younger brother) looking at Steven Ridgell and Dave Brier. The guy looking at the camera, at the race boat behind the foreground boat is Bob Hering. The big guy with his back to the camera, at the other race boat is Rick LaMore.

The other three gents in the photo, I cannot identify, sorry.

Lars Strom
03-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Renato in Como last year..(2013)

Picture by Nino Molla

Lars Strom
03-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Boat racing meeting at Lake Como 2014

Angelo Vassena to the left and Renato Molinari to the right.

Smokin' Joe
03-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Boat racing meeting at Lake Como 2014

Angelo Vassena to the left and Renato Molinari to the right.

Very nice photo.

Below, Havasu place mat from 1977.

Lars Strom
04-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Mercury debuts the big stuff in Bristol 1979. The F1-T4 for the OZ class.

http://svera.se/blogg/mercury-debuts-the-big-stuff-in-bristol-1979-the-f1-t4-for-the-oz-class/

Willabee
04-25-2014, 06:31 AM
Looks like a two or three engine mod to me. If you look at the tunnel roof you can see the 1/2 moon cut out for the motors.

I believe the boat in the picture was built to be a twin engine rig for Renato to run in special events, I think it was about a 20'er. The brain trust at Merc decided to use a different approach for the 71 Paris race. The year before we ran all sprint type setups, boats were propped out for speed. We learned that as rough as the River Seine gets, we couldn't use all of that speed in the race. For 71 the thinking was good bite, acceleration and stability over top speed. Propshafts were set below the boat bottom rather than above! The big boat was also entered as a single, as you can see Renato added a third transom in the center. We couldn't make it competitive with a Twister I on the tail, but got enough more out of it with the C6 doing the pushing that they put Billy Don Pruett in it for the race. It was the slowest of what we took to Paris, about 85 mph, but was in fact running third deep into the race when the engines coil mount broke and ended it's day. The pieces of lumber you see in front of the original two transoms were added to eliminate the "air brake" effect that the transoms created when it was rigged as a single.

Willabee
04-25-2014, 12:59 PM
. Any chance that you could give me the time line of a Twister I, and Twister II and a C-6. Or what was the difference? ..... I know things were changing fast during the "WAR" years. ..... Do you ever eat tomato soup with rice...?????

Yes, I think I can give you a timeline .....

Team Mercury started running the Twister in the later part of 1970. The Twister was really just the 1350 direct charge powerhead that they had been running in 69 and 70 with water injected stacks. The "silo" exhaust system not only took the noise away, it got the boats around a course faster because it had better low end punch. The entire team ran them in Paris. Several more were run at Havasu with the full silo log as well as the shorter, open exhaust log nicknamed the "cowbell". The Twister (red decals) was made available to the racing public in 1971 with a McI SSM lower unit.

In 71, engineering added a third transfer port, scalloped reed blocks and made some exhaust log modifications to the Twister. This new combination was called the Twister I, still a 1350 direct charge motor with three Tillotson carbs. The TI (blue decals) was made available to the racing public in 72 as a complete engine or as an update kit for the Twister.

The C6 made it's first appearance in Berlin in 1970. It was used sporatically during 1971. Sometimes it ran with a single pipe exhaust system, sometimes a two pipe system and usually with a closed system. The C6 was the 1400 block with six rectangular carbs. They were referred to as Morgan carbs, named after the engineer responsible for it's development. It got better and better, won first single finishing fourth overall at Havasu, and all team boats were running it at the beginning of 1972.

As good as the C6 ran, the carbs remained a problem as they were very tempermental. Utimately a six Tillotson carb system replaced the Morgan carbs in 1973. The 1400 block received some porting changes and the TII was next in line to be made available to the racing public in 1974.

Hope this answers your question, but I would have thought that you already knew most of this just from reading the decals on the powerheads as they motored on by your Johnrude over the years. :D

Oh, I should add that I quit ordering soup with extra protein after our "swimming" meal in Spain!

Here is a pic of a C6, a TII and a 'Cowbell' Twister.

Steve Pinson
04-26-2014, 04:45 AM
I believe the boat in the picture was built to be a twin engine rig for Renato to run in special events, I think it was about a 20'er. The brain trust at Merc decided to use a different approach for the 71 Paris race. The year before we ran all sprint type setups, boats were propped out for speed. We learned that as rough as the River Seine gets, we couldn't use all of that speed in the race. For 71 the thinking was good bite, acceleration and stability over top speed. Propshafts were set below the boat bottom rather than above! The big boat was also entered as a single, as you can see Renato added a third transom in the center. We couldn't make it competitive with a Twister I on the tail, but got enough more out of it with the C6 doing the pushing that they put Billy Don Pruett in it for the race. It was the slowest of what we took to Paris, about 85 mph, but was in fact running third deep into the race when the engines coil mount broke and ended it's day. The pieces of lumber you see in front of the original two transoms were added to eliminate the "air brake" effect that they created when it was rigged as a single. I can remember in the 1971 Paris race looking around that large Molinari in the pits before the race and we discussed with Don Pruett about how large it was and showed him round the two Shakespeare outfits my team had brought to race these were grp boats and both were over 19ft but that was the year they stopped the barges running so the race wasn`t as rough as usual I drove one of these outfits it ran a stock Johnson stinger would barely manage 80mph it was so big and heavy but I can remember Georgio Molinari running alongside of me with a 89cu inch Mercury special engine fitted with a silo he was keeping up with me no trouble till my engine expired `that same 89cu engine Georgio used Jackie ran 2 weeks later at the Windemere 3hr race.

Smokin' Joe
04-29-2014, 06:48 AM
This rig sits in the show room at Dockside Marine in Galveston, managed by Keith Scotten who
bought it. He says that Renato brought it here for a race and then left it in the U.S., and that
Tommy Posey drove it afterward. I guess the race could have been Havasu 1979 but don't know.
The boat was later sold to someone in Austin who ran it on Lk. Travis and blew the powerhead,
according to Keith. If it was Tommy's rig then I've seen it run multiple times in Tx.

Lake X Kid
05-03-2014, 09:49 AM
I believe the boat in the picture was built to be a twin engine rig for Renato to run in special events, I think it was about a 20'er. The brain trust at Merc decided to use a different approach for the 71 Paris race. The year before we ran all sprint type setups, boats were propped out for speed. We learned that as rough as the River Seine gets, we couldn't use all of that speed in the race. For 71 the thinking was good bite, acceleration and stability over top speed. Propshafts were set below the boat bottom rather than above! The big boat was also entered as a single, as you can see Renato added a third transom in the center. We couldn't make it competitive with a Twister I on the tail, but got enough more out of it with the C6 doing the pushing that they put Billy Don Pruett in it for the race. It was the slowest of what we took to Paris, about 85 mph, but was in fact running third deep into the race when the engines coil mount broke and ended it's day. The pieces of lumber you see in front of the original two transoms were added to eliminate the "air brake" effect that the transoms created when it was rigged as a single.

On the long boat (with the three-engine transoms, on Post# 255) when Don Pruett drove it at the Paris 6 Hour, Carlo Rassini was teamed-up with Don. Size wise those two drivers, Don and Carlo, were two of the bigger race drivers. I was told it was Gary Garbretch idea to pair an American with a European driver. In retrospect it seems to have been a good idea with potential team crossover-cooperation.

Other pairings were Renato & Bob Hering, Cees & Bill Seebold, Pellolio & Mike Downard, as I recall. But I do not remember who Tom Stickle shared seat duty with, when he came to the Paris 6 Hour. Bob Spaulding and Tom Percival always seemed to be teamed-up together in the same endurance race boat.

Regarding after-hour activities, when Don was in town, be it Paris or Como, Italy, he was the ringleader. Don even knew this cab driver in Paris (from previous visits) who took us on an interesting Paris escapade.