PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Chrysler 150 V6??

MTECHMARINE
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
One of my customers sent me this series of pictures of an evidently nearly ready for production Chrysler V6! He's in Canada, not the owner.
The owner of this must be one of you guys, can you shed some historical info with us?
Compact enough to fit under a 140 cover. Simplicity in engineering as all Chryslers.:D
Why not this instead of the inline 5 abortion put into production b US Marine?

Powerabout
02-06-2013, 05:59 PM
WoW
a bit of history there but one look at the ignition system and the gearbox and you know you wouldnt want one

02-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Its a proto type, who knows what the production engine would have looked like ??????

Krazy Karl
02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
That is one nice looking motor. I have never had any experience with Chryslers, but looked over a 3 cylinder a couple of months ago. It also looked like a nice design and easy to work on compared with equivalent Mercs. What is wrong with the foot? For a non-racing design looks pretty clean with a semi hatchet shape and a low water pickup to boot.
kk

Powerabout
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
That is one nice looking motor. I have never had any experience with Chryslers, but looked over a 3 cylinder a couple of months ago. It also looked like a nice design and easy to work on compared with equivalent Mercs. What is wrong with the foot? For a non-racing design looks pretty clean with a semi hatchet shape and a low water pickup to boot.
kk
Non thru prop exhaust must mean the box was same design as previous ones which where a nightmare to repair

wolfgang
02-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Thank you for the exciting photos.Any more info available, like technical specs, loop charged or cross-flow? With Chrysler`s awful history re head gaskets and seizing pistons, I would have thought they should have known better than to use what appears to be only four head bolts per cylinder? Towerhousing and transom bracket look like Mercury clones. BTW, the shape of that lower unit was developed by son Klaus of the German Chrysler Marine distributor August Wiese during his tenure at Berlin Technical University in the second half of the 1960s. The older (Tiger Shark based) lower units were not bad at all,and easy to work on.

Powerabout
02-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Thank you for the exciting photos.Any more info available, like technical specs, loop charged or cross-flow? With Chrysler`s awful history re head gaskets and seizing pistons, I would have thought they should have known better than to use what appears to be only four head bolts per cylinder? Towerhousing and transom bracket look like Mercury clones. BTW, the shape of that lower unit was developed by son Klaus of the German Chrysler Marine distributor August Wiese during his tenure at Berlin Technical University in the second half of the 1960s. The older (Tiger Shark based) lower units were not bad at all,and easy to work on.
I think it is a looper?
yes old fridges were easy to work on later ones of from about 50hp and up were terrible, you needed more tools that a speedmaster needs to rebuild a gearbox.
Thats style of gearbox and prop is good to about 40mph then that big angle from the pinion back on top of the bullet cavitates and burns the prop at the root of the blades. same design that BMW used when they showed the world they new nothing about marine engines and drives
The ignition system in the last years were also problem to troubleshoot
Shame the engine never made it though.

wolfgang
02-21-2013, 02:32 AM
In this context (I am just now taking up boating again after a 35 year break): would a (carburated) 2ltr Merc V6 powerhead fit under the (louvered) cowling of a 120hp Force? Disregarding issues like tower housing/tuners/lower unit.
Any advice from you guys in the w.shops would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Bill Gohr
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
The block looks just like an early 122cu in Mec, down to the water passage across the top, the intake also seems to mirror a vertical reed merc, as well as the head castings. What kind of carbs are those? Judging by the port castings on the side of the block that would be a looper.

And yes a V6 Merc fits under that cowl, we have a friend down south who is a Chrysler freak who has a carb merc under a Chrysler cowl now

Bunker Hill
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I think it is a looper?
yes old fridges were easy to work on later ones of from about 50hp and up were terrible, you needed more tools that a speedmaster needs to rebuild a gearbox.
Thats style of gearbox and prop is good to about 40mph then that big angle from the pinion back on top of the bullet cavitates and burns the prop at the root of the blades. same design that BMW used when they showed the world they new nothing about marine engines and drives
The ignition system in the last years were also problem to troubleshoot
Shame the engine never made it though.
I believe BMW knows little about any vehicle!!

MTECHMARINE
02-21-2013, 04:29 PM
AMEN to that, I bought a Beemer in 2003, worst P O S I ever had.

There's a TON of old Chryslers and FORCES (kudos to Orin Edsons' Bayliner organizations marketing) still running out there. Mercury Marine is still providing parts.
We have to commend Brunswick / Mercury for their support of older motors in these trying times.

Just picked up a decent FORCE gearcase for future sales as the rebuilders have run out of parts.

Doubleeagle
02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I was involved in Newport Pacific Boats on Pacific Coast Hwy we became the 2nd or 3rd largest Bayliner dealer. I went to the dealer meeting for the introduction of the Carpri. Orin presented the line lets say the room was cold to the idea He came back to the stage. He said this is the way it will be you can join now or you can beg for a dealership later.
Its my ball, my mitt, and my Ballfield, so who wants to play. When Bayliner bought Chrysler. They had all the engines lined up on stands and there was a 9.9 in a tank a dealer asked him what he was going to do about the manual starter he pulled the cord and it broke his reply was I guess well have to fix it I can remember selling 100 or 150 boats at the LA Boat Show We had a Deal board on the wall well after the LA Show we had to build a new office for the deal board

wolfgang
02-21-2013, 11:21 PM
The block looks just like an early 122cu in Mec, down to the water passage across the top, the intake also seems to mirror a vertical reed merc, as well as the head castings. What kind of carbs are those? Judging by the port castings on the side of the block that would be a looper.

And yes a V6 Merc fits under that cowl, we have a friend down south who is a Chrysler freak who has a carb merc under a Chrysler cowl now

Bill,thank you very much for the competent and comprehensive reply. Best regards.

Powerabout
02-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Big demand for simple 2 strokes today, maybe Chrysler should have marketed in Asia instead of all the US manufacturers gifting the business to Yam
The simple mod of putting a Merc gearbox on all the chryslers would have given them a serious footprint in the market

wolfgang
02-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Big demand for simple 2 strokes today, maybe Chrysler should have marketed in Asia instead of all the US manufacturers gifting the business to Yam
The simple mod of putting a Merc gearbox on all the chryslers would have given them a serious footprint in the market

That is exactly what Merc did with Force in `96 (after taking over from US Marine) on the larger models - reinforced crank and con rods (the latter presumably Merc), decent electronics, Merc towerhousing and transom bracket, and a (cheapified) Merc lower unit. Two years later they closed them down, presumably due to world economics and environmentalists.

Powerabout
02-22-2013, 02:25 AM
That is exactly what Merc did with Force in `96 (after taking over from US Marine) on the larger models - reinforced crank and con rods (the latter presumably Merc), decent electronics, Merc towerhousing and transom bracket, and a (cheapified) Merc lower unit. Two years later they closed them down, presumably due to world economics and environmentalists.
OK
funnily enough Merc still make small carb engines in the US for sale outside the US

brichter
06-17-2013, 05:49 PM
They Prototyped the midsection from an omc race V4 (stinger/strangler) mid.

brichter
06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Who is the owner of this "museum"? I see a rare 300 series stern drive in the background in one of the shots and it looks new.

Doubleeagle
06-18-2013, 07:29 AM
Who is the owner of this "museum"? I see a rare 300 series stern drive in the background in one of the shots and it looks new.

I attended a Service/Sales meeting just before Merc took over they were going to unvail Forces new sterndrive. They roll this new drive in covered with a blanket With much fan fair they pull the cover off. There sits a Chrysler 300 drive painted blue with Force decals. I nearly fell out of my chair in one of those I didn't say that out load moments I blurt out YOU GOT TO BE ****TING ME.
We had a running joke that Force was a acroynem F**kedup Old Recyled Chrysler Engeering
Thank God wiser minds prevailed