PDA

View Full Version : Raceboat and Switzer Wings

Pages : 1 [2]

Master Oil Racing Team
03-02-2005, 08:56 PM
I love your stories Ron. This photo of Ted isn't of course in Paris, but it shows him of the warrior that he is. Reminds me of a lefthanded gunslinger, but where's the gun? He's always turning left and that's where the duel plays out.

Ron Hill
03-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Ted loved boating and racing. He theory was, "If you do 99 per cent of your running testing, you only have a 1 per cent chance of breaking down in the race."

Ted should have had the nickname of "Freeway" because he never took his tunnel boat and trailer off his Ford pick up. You'd see him driving all over with the boat on the back. Many thought it was welded on to truck. He was a mobile billboard for boat racing...

Doing battle...Ted was 21, in 1941, and California passed a new law that you couldn't be over 21 and play high school football. Ted was quarterback for Manual Arts High for seven years. They won the state Championships every year.

In 1941, November, he joined the Navy. World War Two started in November. Ted spend five years aboard a ship in the Pacific. When the war ended, he came home and played quarterback of the United States Navy's team.

I met Ted in 1955, he was 34, I was 11. We had much in common. Ted enjoyed playing with Cherry Bombs and so did I. Ted liked to ride in boats, so did I. We Both started racing the same year, 1955.

T2x
03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Interesting point...

Many years ago I pointed out to Gary Garbrecht,,,that when I had great equipment...I went as fast as anybody...and when I didn't...I didn't.... this was my way of pleading for the good stuff....

His reply....pretty well summed up my place in boat racing's pecking order.

"Yeah Rich..... but some guys go fast without the best stuff!"

I have no idea why I thought of this but Ron's recollections of Ann Strang struck a nerve.

In retrospect I still have to wonder who "some guys" were...... :D

T2x

B VALACHOVIC
03-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Renato Molonari U.I.M. Formula OneWorld Champion in the Martini & Rossi sponsored boat 1984

B VALACHOVIC
03-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Bob Spalding U.I.M Formula One World Champion in the Pro One sponsored Hodges boat in 1985. This is the first of two Safety Capsule boats ever produced for the Formula One series. Bob's teammate Bertil Wik competed in the other.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Racin's done........all packed up.
Worn out from takin' boats up & down this seawall....
tired....hungry ... & all banged up.....
blew a lower unit...........fried a piston.......
didn't finish in the money.............
four hours home........got to be at work first thing tommorrow....

But HEY..........NEXT WEEK'S CONSTANTINE!

B VALACHOVIC
03-19-2005, 07:16 PM
International Formula One Gran Prix in the European theater, before it came to the United States. 1982 was the first race in the U S at the Pittsburgh 3 rivers regatta.

B VALACHOVIC
03-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Cees Vander Velden from Holland #1 leading Rick Frost from Great Britain #6, both in Velden built capsule boats in the U I M Formula One 1985 tour.

B VALACHOVIC
03-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Johnnie Sanders in the N A I U (insurance company) sponsored Formula One boat in 1985

B VALACHOVIC
03-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Formula One Racing engines offered by Outboard Marine Corporation. The price for a complete engine was $22000.00 .May not seem like a lot today but in 1981-84 when this carbureted version was offered it was enough.

B VALACHOVIC
03-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Ben Robertson Jr in the Bob Thompson Racing - O M C King Cobra & National Insurance Underwriters sponsored boat in 1986. This was the first enclosed safety capsule Formula One boat.

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Six Hours Of Berlin October 18 1970 --- This article is from Powerboat Magazine January 1971

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 07:53 PM
six hours of berlin

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Berlin

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Berlin six hour

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 08:02 PM
berlin Six hour

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Berlin six Hour

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 08:06 PM
berlin Six Hour

B VALACHOVIC
03-31-2005, 08:07 PM
Berlin Six Hour

B VALACHOVIC
04-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Cees Vander Velden in the Hyatt Hotel sponsored formula one boat. This Velden boat has removable sponsons , electric hydraulic power steering and a movable transom to angle the engine.

B VALACHOVIC
04-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Dave Packer "The Hawaiian" in the Factory O M C boat. This boat has the fuel tanks located in both sponsons as to lower the center of gravity in the turns.

Jengle37
04-14-2005, 07:17 AM
In post number 43, page 5 of this thread, there is a picture with an old friend of mine, Floyd "Smitty" Smith. He was a member of the GN37 racing team of Dr. Cannan's, and later he was part of Betty Cook's "Kudu" team. Does anyone else have any memories or reccolections of Smitty? He always told us lots of boat racing stories but would be interested to hear from someone else about him. He's still with us, living in AZ across the river from Needles

PaulThurston
04-15-2005, 11:55 AM
As a boy I saw Tom Percival and Bob Spalding race at our home club. Many times in the 70's and 80's. So it is a great pleasure to see pics on this site.

Just a couple of weeks before his death I saw Tom lap our 2/3 mile 2 buoy course in 27.78secs.

Thanks again for posting the pictures.

B VALACHOVIC
04-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Jimbo Mc Connell in the factory O M C boat. From 1967-1985 Jimbo was the Chief Test pilot for Outboard Marine Corporation playing a major part in the development of all the Johnson and Evinrude engines. Jimbo has won the six hours of Berlin, The Six hours of Paris,The Parker 9 Hour Enduro.APBA National Championship's, The Outboard World Championship and many other races. If you have had the chance to meet Jimbo ,he is just a great guy.

B VALACHOVIC
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Canadian National Champion Larry Everitt from Ontario in the Burgess.

B VALACHOVIC
04-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Scott Deware from Quincy Massachusetts with the Mod U boat. Scott is largely involved with charitable groups. Last I heard he was racing in Nascar.

B VALACHOVIC
04-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Cees Vander Velden driving in the Team Mercury Billy Seebold built boat

B VALACHOVIC
04-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Billy Seebold driving in the Team Mercury Cees Vander Velden built boat.

B VALACHOVIC
04-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Cees Vander Velden and Billy Seebold were teammates for Mercury and both boat builders,one in Europe and one in the United States so the advantage was utilized at the time and worked well. Bob

B VALACHOVIC
04-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Tom Henderson from Brockville Canada with his Burgess Mod U F1 boat. Tom was a florist at the time of this photo, and today is a boat builder. Really good people.

B VALACHOVIC
05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Champ Boat pilot Lynn Simburger behind the wheel and his Dad Harold in the co pilot seat in My Wing. Lynn and Harold did a lot of work on the engines for me and took her out for a spin. The Simburgers have been around Boat Racing a long time and being good friends with Kenny Kitson recall the boat well when it was being campaigned by Kenny. Mike Farmer who took this photo is part of Lynn's pit crew for the Champ Boat series and said that his Dad Clyde used to pit crew for Kenny Kitson with the Wing. Bob

B VALACHOVIC
05-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Billy Seebold pushing the big T4 through the turn . The T4 was the largest outboard engine Mercury Marine has ever produced for OPC racing.

Brand X Racing
05-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Check out this Russian Wing Boat. Really fast down the straights but didn't turn very good!!

B VALACHOVIC
05-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Brand X do you know what the power was in our Russian friends boat? I have seen Hovercrafts that fly like this, but I beleive this is something different.

B VALACHOVIC
05-15-2005, 05:51 PM
This is the Factory Racing Center for Outboard Marine Corporation at Lake Hamiltoin Florida. The boat on the sign is 1982 U I M F1 World Champion Roger Jenkins from Whales. The facility had a year round race course for testing the boats. Complete engine rebuilding , Dyno testing, On site boat building,All the racing sales (parts and complete race engines for O M C.) This is also where Mach Propellers were made at that time. Gary had a nice place.

B VALACHOVIC
05-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Office and sales dept

B VALACHOVIC
05-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Shop Buildings

B VALACHOVIC
05-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Loading dock.

B VALACHOVIC
05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
That is Allen Garbrechts boat and hauler.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Awesome pics, again Bob. You've got one fabulous collection.

I'm fairly sure that the little red boat on the trailer out in front of the building was campaigned for awhile by Gary's son (Alan, not Bart). He raced Sport C with an OMC.

Alan now owns a marina/boat rental place down in Islamorada FL called Cobra Marine.
Actually Val, that might have been his 45 as he ran with the with us when Leigh Furnal & I were partners. Also, I believe that his Marina, Cobra Marine was once owned by ( ? ) Thompson from "Just Add Water" Marina in Indianapolis and who sponsored Ben Robertson, Ken Stevenson and several others through the years. Sorry, can't remember his first name.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Although I was there, that group was Scotty Barnikow's team. Scotty & his brother owned an Evinrude dealership in Edison, NJ. He moved up to SST100 & Grand Prix hull when it was a new class and won just about all the time until Leigh built a boat for Dean Chew. Dean, Leigh & Charlie Monts D'Oca & I went to all of the Pro Tunnel races that year, that Dean began to beat Scotty. Anyway, 1988, I believe that was the year that Chuck Zolkoske drove my Burgundy & multi gray colored "Tom Cat" and won. Some gun jumping. That was the best looking 45 that Brad ever built. It went from Kankakee to South America.

spn#43
05-17-2005, 05:46 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Awesome pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for a history lesson. :) :)

Tomtall
05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Hey John - Do you remember the race when Lee almost went up on shore in sst45 when he blacked out. I can't recall but I think it was Dayton but maybe not. I know it scared the H*ll out of us watching when he came around pin 3 and 4 and just keep't coming towards shore.:eek: I know that he came to and got back on track. I found out later he had a nerve in his neck that made him black out when he got going around the corner pulling "G's". Lee is a heck of a nice person. Builds some wicked fast boats to!

Ron Hill
05-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Seems Leigh almost beat Lister, and at the time, my father-in-law always told people Ron Hill Props were fast, and Leigh and Wolf, who ran DSH and died in his sleep that winter, John Stone and a few more New Yorkers were pitted by us...

Seems Leigh and larry Lister split heats in CSH and Lister won...My father-in-law gave Leigh the raspberries...but all in fun...

Last time I saw Leigh was at Second Effort, maybe 18 years ago!!

So, Leigh was at Bakersfield...he also ran all the Mini Enduro races...

Jeff Lytle
05-18-2005, 04:08 AM
He was a winner alright. ALWAYS the one to beat in DSH in Region 2. A really nice guy, and missed by many.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-18-2005, 05:22 AM
Tom, although I wasn't there, that could have been Leigh as he had injured his neck originally blowing over a "DSH" then re-injured it in a 45 blow over at Ocoee, FL. The crowning blow which resulted in his racing retirement was a snap roll over at Grass Lake in Jackson, MI. THat almost required wearing a Helo contraption, but didn't. The doctor at the U.M. Medical center told him what he saw and thought was a fracture in his upper vertebrae was actually scar tissue, but he should never take the chance again. He now is an excellent golfer, playing as much as he can. I told to hom semi-frequently and he and his wife Kathy came to Charlotte last fall & we went to the NASCAR race at Lowes Motor Speedway. He also spent a few hours this Spring at the Winter Nationals in Ocoee. I'm not sure but he may lurk here and he'll probably be pissed that I posted about him. Isn't that what friends are for!!!!!!!!! :)

Miss BK
05-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Seems Leigh almost beat Lister, and at the time, my father-in-law always told people Ron Hill Props were fast, and Leigh and Wolf, who ran DSh and died in his sleep that winter, John Stone and a few more New Yorkers were pitted by us...

Seems Leigh and larry Lister split heats in CSH and Lister won...My father-in-law gave Leigh the raspberries...but all in fun...

Last time I saw Leigh was at Second Effort, maybe 18 years ago!!

So, Val, you should have seen Leigh at Bakerfield...he also ran all the Mini Enduro races...

Thanks Ron. I had no idea Leigh was at Bakersfield in 1977. I should go through those pictures from then and see. (Don't get exicited - they are NOTHING like Wayne's marvelous pics. You can't do much with a 110 Instamatic! LOL)

About the time I met Leigh was about when I first saw the "Furnal Flyers" - the sst45 boats he built. I think the first one I saw was Gordie Miller's. Fast little boats! But a long time after the Bakersfield Nat's of 77.

John - I think I have a picture of your boat, and yes - that was a pretty one. Your Tom Cat wasn't the only one to end up in South America. We shipped quite a few of them down there - and also to Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Japan. My little Tom Cat (Hellkitten) went to Taiwan. My first Kober Kat went off to some South Pacific Island too. At that time, the South Pacific was hot for all the mini boats they could get.

We used to sell quite few to Japan, but then the boat orders suddenly stopped. Instead, the overseas distributor began to order the rigging parts in bulk: Steeing systems, cable, foot throttle, shifter, batteries - he would order 5 sets at a time - we knew then that somebody over there had made a splash (copy) of our boats. We never got any more boat orders from Japan after that.

I didn't see Leigh's accident, but I saw one very similar. At Highlands Texas about 1991 or 92, (or was it at the Austin IOGP race in 1995??? I can't remember) one of the 120 drivers blew over and landed back upright. What we didn't know was that the driver was knocked out and his kill switch never shut the engine off.

So when the boat suddenly started running again, the crowd cheering - falsely thinking the driver had so much bravery that he wanted finish even after looping it! While people were still clapping --- we saw the boat accelerate and kite up in the air AGAIN! It stood on its tail and did a pirhouette and then began running the WRONG way on the course

About that time, all the other boats were coming around and were horrified to see a boat COMING STRAIGHT AT THEM!

The boat kited again, and spun.......and restarted....then kited again and spun....and restarted. At one point it started heading straight for the spectators on the beach! Everyone started running....I even ran!

Finally, the amazing rescue crew (I think it was Kevin McCord - who still is head of rescue down there) they ran their rescue boat along side the errant boat and JUMPED onto the deck --- and finally reached in the cockpit to hit the kill switch.

They rushed the driver to the hospital, to find he only had a mild concussion. And he didn't remember a thing!

The next morning, he was at the driver's meeting, saying he was ready to go for it again! I remember Bob Schubert put his arm around him and said as they walked off, "You know, maybe it would be better if you sit this one out".

After the guy saw the replays of the accident on video, he agreed with that decision! He had no idea that all of that had gone on.

Does anyone else remember that? I just cannot remember the name of that driver.... He didn't race boats much after that, or at least I don't think I saw him race after that.

spn#43
05-18-2005, 08:40 AM
I didn't see Leigh's accident, but I saw one very similar. At Highlands Texas about 1991 or 92, (or was it at the Austin IOGP race in 1995??? I can't remember) one of the 120 drivers blew over and landed back upright. What we didn't know was that the driver was knocked out and his kill switch never shut the engine off.

So when the boat suddenly started running again, the crowd cheering - falsely thinking the driver had so much bravery that he wanted finish even after looping it! While people were still clapping --- we saw the boat accelerate and kite up in the air AGAIN! It stood on its tail and did a pirhouette and then began running the WRONG way on the course

About that time, all the other boats were coming around and were horrified to see a boat COMING STRAIGHT AT THEM!

The boat kited again, and spun.......and restarted....then kited again and spun....and restarted. At one point it started heading straight for the spectators on the beach! Everyone started running....I even ran!

Finally, the amazing rescue crew (I think it was Kevin McCord - who still is head of rescue down there) they ran their rescue boat along side the errant boat and JUMPED onto the deck --- and finally reached in the cockpit to hit the kill switch.

They rushed the driver to the hospital, to find he only had a mild concussion. And he didn't remember a thing!

The next morning, he was at the driver's meeting, saying he was ready to go for it again! I remember Bob Schubert put his arm around him and said as they walked off, "You know, maybe it would be better if you sit this one out".

After the guy saw the replays of the accident on video, he agreed with that decision! He had no idea that all of that had gone on.

Does anyone else remember that? I just cannot remember the name of that driver.... He didn't race boats much after that, or at least I don't think I saw him race after that.

:eek: :eek: Wow I can hear the music from “The Twilight Zone” :eek: :eek:

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Leigh was CSH National Champ in 1977, running a three bladed France wheel on one of the first boats he built. Larry Lister was second.
Fred,

I thought so as well, but 2 things made me reluctant to say. 1) I wasn't there & 2) I really didn't really know Leigh until the early 80's when the 45 class started.

Ron Hill
05-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Seems, Lister won three in a row in CSH...I was thinking Bakersfield was the beginning of that "ROLL"...

Clark won DSH with a three blade, one of mine....I was second with a two blader...

I hear France won't make you a wheel if he thinks your are fast in A Hydro.....

Fred Curtis
05-18-2005, 08:10 PM
I hear France won't make you a wheel if he thinks your a fast in A Hydro.....[/QUOTE]

I had a great ASH prop from France, better for me, anyway, than my Smith 'true pitch' wheel which Jeff Hutchins mistook for one of his Smith's at Dunville one day in 1972. But as you can deduce from the date that was back in the Dark Ages and I couldn't say if it has any relevance in terms of getting a France A wheel today.

There have always been many such stories about Ron France. I think they come about simply because he doesn't make props in any quantity.

That is why I'm a Ron Hill "fan". I remember how it helped stock outboard racing, and made it so much more fun, when Ron Hill started 'mass producing' competative props and selling them at decent prices to anyone and everyone! More people raced, and people raced more than they had before because everybody had a good wheel, not just a few inside well connected drivers.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-19-2005, 04:45 AM
Leigh was CSH National Champ in 1977, running a three bladed France wheel on one of the first boats he built. Larry Lister was second.
Direct quote from Leigh in an e-mail I received last night.

"John,
Tell Hill that I won c s h and that Lister was second.Lister never Won a heat.I won the 1st heat asecond the 2nd heat after starting last. Dennis Berkins won the 2nd heat.I had a Smith wheel and a short skegand the fastest c hydro there."
Thanks
Leigh

Ron Hill
05-19-2005, 07:20 AM
Johnny,

Tell Leigh I don't take "SECOND HAND INFO" about racing facts...Tell him he has to post here himself...Then, I'll eat some humble pie....Love to hear from Leigh!!!!

ADD: Thanks for posting....

Got a nice e-mail from Dick O'Dea....

Miss BK
05-19-2005, 07:47 AM
While looking for more ET pictures, I came across this one from Havasu.
I don't remember what year this was.

Guess who ;)

B VALACHOVIC
05-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Bob--Look what I found yesterday when I was going through some of my old Roostertails
Still the same Driver and boat today. (Not the wrecked one) Thanks for posting the photo.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
The wrecked one was driven by Jan Schoonover in an attempt on the Unlimited IV record of 113.208. It was estimated that he was around 112 when he blew over.

B VALACHOVIC
05-19-2005, 12:06 PM
The wrecked one was driven by Jan Schoonover in an attempt on the Unlimited IV record of 113.208. It was estimated that he was around 112 when he blew over.
Kenny said that he was there when this happened and Jan was really pushing it to beat the record. Bob

B VALACHOVIC
05-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Kenny also said that when he set the record of 113.208 mph with the dual engines with the boat in the photo that the entire boat was out of the water including most of the Speedmasters (just the tips of the propeller blades) and the engines would steam at the end of the run due to the lack of water .

Master Oil Racing Team
05-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Kenny also said that when he set the record of 113.208 mph with the dual engines with the boat in the photo that the entire boat was out of the water including most of the Speedmasters (just the tips of the propeller blades) and the engines would steam at the end of the run due to the lack of water .

Bob--Jan was attempting to beat a previous record that Kenny had set--right? I didn't think it was on the same day. I remember as a kid when I first started racing, I stared at that picture a long time trying to imagine what it would be like to blow over a 112 mph. I think Gerry Walins record at that time was 132. (or was it 121?- age & memory)

A funny side story. Pete Delackner was taking a Switzer Wing, I think to his shop to repair some fiberglass damage. I don't remember who he said it belonged to, but on the way someone pulled up beside him and motioned for Pete to roll his window down. Pete did and the guy asked "Is that the Bat Boat". Rather than try to explain Pete said "Yeah!".

B VALACHOVIC
05-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Bob--Jan was attempting to beat a previous record that Kenny had set--right? I didn't think it was on the same day. I remember as a kid when I first started racing, I stared at that picture a long time trying to imagine what it would be like to blow over a 112 mph. I think Gerry Walins record at that time was 132. (or was it 121?- age & memory)

A funny side story. Pete Delackner was taking a Switzer Wing, I think to his shop to repair some fiberglass damage. I don't remember who he said it belonged to, but on the way someone pulled up beside him and motioned for Pete to roll his window down. Pete did and the guy asked "Is that the Bat Boat". Rather than try to explain Pete said "Yeah!".
That was a previous record that was set by Kenny with 2 engines at 113.208 mph. The speedmasters used for the runs were overdriven units. When the 3 engine record run was set up they tried to place a 10 hp engine in the center for the third engine for less drag and were told this was not ethical so the regular engine was placed in the center for the third instead and ran 109.756 mph. 2 engines are faster . The Switzer Wings always reminded me of a P 38 Lightning with the twin tails and front, But that's me

Ron Hill
05-20-2005, 07:41 PM
MISSBK...

My wife says she hates to see men cry... but seeing my old "CRAYOLA SLEEK"...Big Number 9 "ROAR" onto plane at Havasu brought tears to my eyes...

I loved that boat. It drove like a dream, though I did blow it over...it would run about 98 MPH and handle some tall water...turn on a dime and .......oh how that picture brought back memories of the "OLD" days...

I have five complete 235 Evinrudes...this one had CCC head and a CCC flywheel.....My Old Man built them all...Oh how I loved MOD VP!!!!

We needed a Bill France to control us... we were our own worst enemies...faster, lighter...tunnel looking boats...mistakes were made, but putting Humpy Dumpy back together again isn't possible...

Thanks for posting...With 90 gallons of gas, she'd go 92....

mintominto
05-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Billy Seebold pushing the big T4 through the turn . The T4 was the largest outboard engine Mercury Marine has ever produced for OPC racing.
I'm pretty sure that's Billy at Bristol docks. Here's another view of that monster Merc.

B VALACHOVIC
05-30-2005, 06:46 PM
The photo that I have posted of Billy Seebold driving the T4 is at the Bristol Docks and says Long John Scotch and Whiskey, So i will say that the photo that you have posted is this boat with the Giant engine.

mintominto
05-31-2005, 03:53 AM
The photo that I have posted of Billy Seebold driving the T4 is at the Bristol Docks and says Long John Scotch and Whiskey, So i will say that the photo that you have posted is this boat with the Giant engine.
If memory serves me right, Earl Bentz and Tom Percival ran identical rigs to Billy at that meeting forming a 3 boat team. I'm sure I still have the programme from that event, must dig it out.

B VALACHOVIC
06-05-2005, 06:14 PM
End of the day at Delta Lake State park. Some broken boats some not, John Sherlock ran 1st and 2nd with Jimbo Mc Connell all day in Mod U, finished second to Jimbo in the "Other Budweiser Boat".

B VALACHOVIC
06-11-2005, 10:55 AM
1986 U I M Formula One Wolrd Champion Gene Thibodaux.

mintominto
06-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Roger Jenkins 1982 F1 World Champion

mintominto
06-12-2005, 05:24 AM
An Interesting contest between the JPS F1 car and boat teams of 1982

mintominto
06-12-2005, 05:41 AM
The picture shows John Hill running a boat clearly marked OI class in about 1975. The maximum capacity for OI was 1500 cc, but can anyone help identify exactly what motor he is running. Was there such a motor as a Merc 850x in those days? and could that be it.

Mark75H
06-12-2005, 06:48 AM
There was a 650x OE class motor at that time, but never a US made OI motor after 1970. There seem to have been OH motors made for use in Europe that were never heard of in the US that may have raced in Scandinavia. Maybe this is a special European made OI that only raced at that event.

I will point this thread out to some Merc racing guys.

mintominto
06-12-2005, 07:09 AM
Much obliged for your help Sam. There definately was a 650xs and 700x used in OE during those days but the motor in question, although bigger than these certainly looks nothing like the maximum 1500cc allowed in the OI class.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 05:36 PM
This is a catalog of racing products available from Second Effort. The boat on the cover is Ben Robertson JR in the SE V III boat that set a competition record of 141.33 mph average speed at Beaumont Texas in 1986.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 05:54 PM
This is the time trials sheet showing that Ben Robertson JR actually did this.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:00 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Second Effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:06 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:09 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Second Effort.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:16 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Second Effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:26 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:27 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:30 PM
second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:31 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:34 PM
omc.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Second Effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:36 PM
O.m.c..

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:38 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:45 PM
second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Second effort

B VALACHOVIC
07-15-2005, 07:48 PM
O.m.c.

B VALACHOVIC
07-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Mercury Marine

B VALACHOVIC
07-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Mercury Marine

B VALACHOVIC
07-26-2005, 06:59 PM
mercury marine

B VALACHOVIC
07-26-2005, 07:12 PM
mercury marine

B VALACHOVIC
07-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Mecury Marine

B VALACHOVIC
07-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Mercury Marine

B VALACHOVIC
07-26-2005, 07:23 PM
mercury marine

Michael J Gwaltney
07-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I was just revisiting some of your race boat photos. I don't think I have met you but noticed you mentioned being at the Allison reunion.

I spoke to Darris Allison about the tunnels and he thought someone was going to bring one, but never showed. I think they only built about three. They were one of the fastest V-4 powered boats built with the usual fine Allison glass work. Stinson ran one at Long Beach but it was a little too chopy for it. Good memories! Michael J
Allison Craft with the wings

STV_Keith
07-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey Jim, good to see you on here. Been trying to get dad to post over here too. He says the Allison project will be done by the end of the year. You working on something so you two can go play? I know he needs someone to tear *** around with down there! ;)

B VALACHOVIC
07-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I was just revisiting some of your race boat photos. I don't think I have met you but noticed you mentioned being at the Allison reunion.

I spoke to Darris Allison about the tunnels and he thought someone was going to bring one, but never showed. I think they only built about three. They were one of the fastest V-4 powered boats built with the usual fine Allison glass work. Stinson ran one at Long Beach but it was a little too chopy for it. Good memories! Michael J
I am sure that i have met you there, are you not the gentelman with the omc clothes and hat at the reunion that was speaking with Kitson ,Threkold ,Paul Allison etc under the tent. You stated who you were and said that you worked for omc.I did not introduce myself ,I said hello.

Michael J Gwaltney
08-09-2005, 10:11 AM

I am sure that i have met you there, are you not the gentelman with the omc clothes and hat at the reunion that was speaking with Kitson ,Threkold ,Paul Allison etc under the tent. You stated who you were and said that you worked for omc.I did not introduce myself ,I said hello.Yes, that was me wearing the OMC Racing Legends cap. Rather obvious I guess with all the Mercury product there. I had organized all the "Legends" reunions over the years. Very nice event! Also discovered Ernie Threlkeld lives near my cousin in Simpsonville, Ky and was able to visit with him this past weekend.

Ron Hill
08-09-2005, 01:02 PM
I SURE WISH you'd reconsider having an All Outboard Racer Legends Reunion....BRF could help...And St. ouis, every five years, would be about right...

Michael J Gwaltney
08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
I SURE WISH you'd reconsider having an All Outboard Racer Legends Reunion....BRF could help...And St. ouis, every five years, would be about right...Ron: Doing the OMC reunions four times was quite enough. E-mails made it simpler last time, but finding current addresses, doing mailings and party reservations takes a lot of time. St. Louis venue is perfect except it has to be one of the busiest weekends of events all summer. Very gratifying results for those who attended. Michael J

B VALACHOVIC
09-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Tom Posey in his Vander Velden Abelene Marine sponsored boat.

B VALACHOVIC
09-04-2005, 07:27 PM
#26 Mike Seebold in the familiar BUD LIGHT boat

B VALACHOVIC
09-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Buck Thorton in the Will Pergande TEXACO boat

B VALACHOVIC
09-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Bobby Herring in the O'GRADYS potato chip sponsored boat. This Bobby Herring built boat was a special boat built from honeycomb aircraft aluminum.

B VALACHOVIC
09-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Steve De Souza in the EZ LOADER trailer sponsored boat

B VALACHOVIC
09-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Billy Seebold in the Seebold Built BUD LIGHT sponsored boat. Billy Seebold is still even being retired, active in the sport at the Champ Boat Races and still building the boats that race there.

B VALACHOVIC
09-06-2005, 03:36 AM
I will be in Los Angeles for a business meeting, I will try to be there. I have already been in touch with Ross. Kitson and the boat will be there for sure. After great deliberation between myself and Kenny Kitson we have decided not to compete the boat in the race as originally planned.It will be there to promote boat racing like we planned to do with the boat ftrom the start and will do flybys and rides.

And thanks. those are my photos that i have been posting, some from my uncle's things in the early 60's ,the rest are my things. In some way they will help promote the racing , at least thats the goal.

B VALACHOVIC
09-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Barry Woods in the Concrete Coring Company sponsored Molonari boat. This is one of the very few sponsors that have stayed the course with Tunnel boat racing.
The Concrete Coring Company is Barry Woods own Company.Even being retired he is a asset to the sport.

B VALACHOVIC
09-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Bob Larson in the Concrete Coring Company Molonari.

B VALACHOVIC
09-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Rick Frost from England in the Bunch sponsored Burgess.

Rick was the fastest Formula One driver at the time taking a F1 Burgess boat out and recording 144.5 mph with the carbureted Johnson 8 cyl engine

Ron Hill
09-08-2005, 10:16 PM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1959&postcount=93

You can read more about "KING" Barry Woods on this thread...

B VALACHOVIC
09-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Canadian Mark Rothermal in the Burgess

paul jillings
09-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Would that be an ex-Roger Jenkins Burgess? Looks suspiciously like the Carlsberg colours...........

B VALACHOVIC
09-14-2005, 06:00 AM
That is one of Roger Jenkins Carlesburg beer boats that Mark is driving.Roger retired by that time.

B VALACHOVIC
09-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Ben Robertson JR in the Bunch boat.

B VALACHOVIC
09-18-2005, 08:57 PM
My Friend John Sherlock

Ted March
09-18-2005, 09:31 PM
My friend too!!!

T2x
09-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Ben Robertson JR in the Bunch boat.

That doesn't look like Benny.... It looks like Mark Rotharmel.

T2x

B VALACHOVIC
09-19-2005, 08:44 AM
NO --- It's who i said

B VALACHOVIC
09-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Don Jenkinson

B VALACHOVIC
09-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Jimbo McConnell Mod U Molonari boat

B VALACHOVIC
09-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Cees Vander Velden from Boxtel Holland International F1 powerboat series

B VALACHOVIC
09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Cees Vander Velden

B VALACHOVIC
09-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Cees Vander Velden

B VALACHOVIC
09-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Johnson Racing F1 Factory Support

David Mason
09-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Very nice pics, please keep them coming, I so enjoy the pics of the past, and present. Wayne B does a fine job to. Keep them coming guys, please !

T2x
09-20-2005, 01:31 PM
NO --- It's who i said

Not with that beak...... The guy in the boat may be Benny....but the guy in the bottom photo....is Rotharmel.

T2x

B VALACHOVIC
09-20-2005, 03:19 PM
That is Riock Frost's boat in the background of the person standing there. I see that also, what you are talking about, but that is Ben Robertson. I beleive that it is just the angle of the image.But I will check for the Famous announcer that is saying this here. Rich Lours announced a lot of boat race events over the years. I have seen him a couple of times and did not know who the heck he was until he showed at Clayton and introduced himself. You are a great guy Rich. Bob

B VALACHOVIC
09-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Its the hair. Robertson always had good hair. :D

B VALACHOVIC
09-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Mark Rothermel

B VALACHOVIC
09-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Andy Bullen from Hernbay England A Burgess boat

B VALACHOVIC
09-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Andy Bullen

B VALACHOVIC
09-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Rick Frost Wokingham Berks England in a Vander Velden boat.

B VALACHOVIC
09-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Rick frost

T2x
09-21-2005, 08:14 AM
And how come Rich wasn't at the Switzer reunion? We thought we'd see him there and that I'd finally get to meet him. :D

Rich had a prior commitment..... but I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to connect. It sounds like you did alright BK....riding around in a legend...with a legend.

Soon you'll be as obsolete as me.;)

T2x

T2x
09-21-2005, 08:16 AM
This is definitely Rotharmel........ or I'm not Canadian.

Of course...I'm not Canadian:confused:

T2x

T2x
09-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Its the hair. Robertson always had good hair. :D

Please post something that doesn't have an OMC on the tail.:D

T2x

mintominto
09-21-2005, 08:18 AM
B. Valachovic you have a fine collection of photographs, many thanks for sharing them with us and please continue to do so as it is very much appreciated. I also have one of ANDY BULLEN at the London Grand Prix in about 1984 although I'm not sure what hull this is, any ideas?

B VALACHOVIC
09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
That is 1985. The engine is the Fuel Injected Lower Center Gravity engine, and the boat is from the year before , Notice the rear cowling on the boat that was not changed from the carb version engine and shows the height difference. They did this change to keep the boats from blowing over in the straights and barrell rolling in the turns.
Good photo of Andy

paul jillings
09-22-2005, 03:26 AM
Andy Bullens' hull?

It's a Burgess!

B VALACHOVIC
09-22-2005, 04:37 AM
The Burgess boats were a spinoff of the Shakespear race boats. I beleive Burgess worked for Shakespear until his untimely passing in the late 70s and took over the company.Shakespear was Johnson Outboard affiliated . I do not see Burgess boats around or as prevelant any longer. They still around Paul

paul jillings
09-23-2005, 02:10 AM
David Burgess I believe is still playing with boats. I think after a stint in the Middle East he is / was helping Jonathon Jones with his new Dragon F1 boats (driven by Andy Elliott in the UIM World Series, see www.f1boat.com ) but prior to that he was involved with the Bomba boat that Marc Rolls used successfully in the F2 World Series, see www.formula2000boat.com.

Don't know if he has now officially retired (the Burgess brand is no longer the force it once was) plus a lot of the later hulls completed were for the F3 World series (OMC 850cc motors) which has now been curtailed.

mintominto
09-23-2005, 01:00 PM
ALF BULLEN Bristol late 1970s

Master Oil Racing Team
09-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Thought you might like this Bob. A fantastic photo, and outstanding graphics and layout.

B VALACHOVIC
09-24-2005, 04:14 PM
They are both outstanding. I have seen the Todd Beckman , I have not seen the Tim Seebold is this one new.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-25-2005, 07:54 AM
I was talking to Bill Sr. a few weeks ago and told him I had a photo of him with a prop in his hand that I wanted him to autograph. I said I would send him a copy and to return the autographed one. He said he had a picture of Tim that he would send, so maybe he just got it.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Are there a lot of teams with the autograph cards? It would be nice to see some more. When I was racing, the only ones I saw were of the Western and Eastern European drivers, and they were post card size. I tried to get the American drivers to do the same, but no one bit on the idea.

spn#43
09-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Here is my old autograph card. ;)

Crewdog
09-25-2005, 03:15 PM
notice the pic on the hauler has 11 on it

Miss BK
09-25-2005, 03:25 PM

And also notice that the boat is white, not silver. I'm guessing this was a mock-up for the client, because I don't remember Mike having a hauler with his (Bud Light) boat on it??? Tim's was the first, right Mike? I'm struggling to remember.

I do remember this one though...
http://www.xg-ad.com/v4/support_files/portfolio/vehicle5g.jpg

spn#43
09-25-2005, 05:25 PM

What pic, what hauler, am I not seeing something or what?

spn#43
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
If ya all talking about "Australian Gold" pix, than that’s from some years ago.

mintominto
10-13-2005, 08:52 AM
Bristol Grand Prix England 1986

mintominto
10-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Bristol GP England 1986

mintominto
10-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Bristol GP England 1988

Ron Hill
10-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Ron:
No truth to that story. Carl's departure came about as a result
of a major difference in management philosophy between him and the
chairman of Brunswick at that time, John Hanigan.

No one incident was involved. The whole subject is fairly well
covered in the book about Carl ---"The Iron Fist".

And now I must run to catch a plane to the UIM General Assembly in
Qutar --- about 30 miles from Saudi Arabia and 200 from Iraq!!! Woe
is me!!!

Regards,

Chas Strang

Well, Charlie has spoken.... Seems to me, that GIVING BP's away, when you could be selling production motors, might cause a disagreement with management....

ADD: Yea, the disagreement was that Carl thought RACING BOAT HAD MADE MERCURY WHAT IT WAS......and the BEAN COUNTS THOUGHT DIFFERENTLY!!!!

B VALACHOVIC
10-15-2005, 03:22 PM
That is exactally what made Mercury what it is , and to be honest with you There would have never been racing as we have known it over the years without Mercury and Johnson going at it all the time.

B VALACHOVIC
10-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Last year this year. 1985 Toledo Ohio. Rick Frost (England) wins the race, On the left Rick Frost on the right Barry woods (USA) 1984 Winner.In the center the Mayor of Toledo Presenting the PPg trophy to Rick with Barry , passing it on. Bob Degrenier who ran all the F1 races, is on the left with the bull horn.

Ron Hill
10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
This is my Rich Hallett built twin engine Evinrude four point Hydro at Lake Havasu 1969. I'm in the boat.. I think that may be Fred Hauenstein holding the pickel fork, as it also looks like Francis Hauenstein (Mrs. Hauenstein as I always call her...Freddy's mother) in the blue top watching...and she was always interested in what Freddy did...

The small guy, I think is Ceasar Scotti...

This boat had aluminum sheets on the tunnel, and all bottoms...She was HELL FOR STOUT....

Bottom picture, Snapper in action, 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championships...

Master Oil Racing Team
10-20-2005, 07:32 AM
found this in June 1977 Powerboat and Waterskiing. The hydro on the back wall was one of Jerry Waldman's

Thomasj
11-04-2005, 11:19 PM
2005 Australian Nationals, finished 10th with carbie problems and a broken tiller forcing me out of 3 races.

Lloyd Burns
11-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Alan Stinson was the driver who co-drove with Jerry Walin, in 1970, to win Parker by a foot...Stinson could drive that old DeSilva wing...

Anyway, I thought Allison boats were built by him (Alan Stinson)..Allison. It wasn't until about 1976 that I met Daris Allison...at Dayton, OHio...I kept asking if his name was really Allison...I wanted to know where Alan Stinson was!!!! Most of them boys in OHIO thought I was nuts...

Benny Robertson is one I'm not sure we have on the Who's Who section....but he needs to be added.

Just Add Water Team was owned by Bob Thompson of Indianapolis. Bob sponsored Kenny Stevenson, also, in the Molinari that Lou Eppel owned...that Art Kennedy drove...Not sure Bob ever raced, but he's a real gentleman...

Keep posting those great pictures...Outboard Bob...
Bob T. drove twin Mc call 125 merc's SSpeedmaster's Iwas in ohio 1967 the Boat was about 16 or 17 ft. 18" sides water rougher then HH.

Fast Fred
11-19-2005, 07:38 AM
nice shot of the AUS 05 NAT':cool: you guys do any big bore stuff(850-1000cc):cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
01-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Though some of you guys might like this cartoon I found this morning in an old Roostertail publication.

Ron Hill
01-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Maybe this picture inspired the cartoon???

Dew1us
01-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Johnny,

Tell Leigh I don't take "SECOND HAND INFO" about racing facts...Tell him he has to post here himself...Then, I'll eat some humble pie....Love to hear from Leigh!!!!

ADD: Thanks for posting....

Got a nice e-mail from Dick O'Dea....

Actually that was me typing the e-mail since dad always has someone type for him.. So it is actually 3rd hand info....

Craig

PowerCatHydroJoe
02-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Anyone remember the Stockton to Colusa and back race in the 60's in the Sacramento river? My dad Joe Stevens Sr. ran it several years in a row. I won UE two years in a row. 167 miles each way...in open river....plenty of hazards...I remember it was alot of fun but hard on the knees in this pretty little hydro....Joe Stevens Jr.

PowerCatHydroJoe
02-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Here are a couple of pics of my dads Stylecraft Cats...twin Mercs..stacks and speedmasters...These pics are circa 1965-67...he owned Inland Marine in Manteca Ca...and raced for a decade at least...mostly in Central Ca...Havasu, Parker, Salton Sea etc. As I recollect dad was leading the Havasu race in 1965 or 64 when he cut the corner by the launch area a bit tight very early in the race like lap 3...someone had a trailer in the water and sheared both lower units right in front of the announcing stand. That race was absolutely crazy the first couple of years. Unlimited meant exactly that you could show up with anything, and they did...many engines...no weight limit as I recall...the first year I raced it I think we lost more that 45 boats the first day. They were crashing, sinking, blowing apart, and breaking down all over the place. It was war...but so much fun I can't tell you....Joe Jr.

hydroc888
02-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Keep them coming please . A lot of the younger people dont realize that this is what boat racing was about before tunnels and the factory sponsers got involved and drove the little guy out.

bstevenson201
04-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Does anyone remember the boat "Wizard" or have pics of. Johnny Sanders raced it in '84 at 3 rivers. I was there but I was only 8 and don't remember much of it. I was just thinking of it the other day. I do remember it had 2 motors and was very heavy in the back. They were 6's and he was racing against the single 8's

bstevenson201
04-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Thats it, thanks for the memories

Fast Fred
04-09-2007, 09:00 AM
flyin on mist:eek: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5493/topoftheb2000lg7.th.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=topoftheb2000lg7.jpg)

mintominto
01-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Here it is again in London 1984

bstevenson201
01-14-2008, 06:17 AM
whose boat was that, who was the sponsor,driver,crew team?

Fred Hauenstein
01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
whose boat was that, who was the sponsor,driver,crew team?

Hi Brandon.

The boat was Jim Hauenstein's new (that weekend), purpose-built Burgess, racing as the Arcadian Team in the London F-1 GP. The cowl (Trimite) was borrowed, I don't remember why. Johnnie Sanders drove. That's Gary Paugh sitting on the cockpit. Bill Chatfield swears that is NOT him with his feet on the boat (he was there). Jim and I were there, too. The boat ran a pass or two at about 150 MPH and then the transom came out of the boat, hence the pictures of the engine without cowl "on the hook."

Fred

mintominto
01-14-2008, 10:05 AM
The cowl may have come from Rick Frost who ran Trimite colours at the time.
Seem to remember some footage of the wizard on an old 80's video.

bstevenson201
01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I was at the race with my mom in Pittsburgh when johnny recked the wizard, but i didn't know they did another race with the double engine. I thought that was Bill with his feet on the boat. After that race, I lost touch with everything. I did see Bill and the family at my wedding and we exchange Christmas cards every year, so I'm living memories from this website and all the pictures of my Dad up in my basement. I did speak to a few people from this website that knew my dad or had things to say, which was nice. Thanks to everyone in this website helping me follow all current stuff as well as when my dad was racing.

tthibodaux
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
I was at the race with my mom in Pittsburgh when johnny recked the wizard, but i didn't know they did another race with the double engine. I thought that was Bill with his feet on the boat. After that race, I lost touch with everything. I did see Bill and the family at my wedding and we exchange Christmas cards every year, so I'm living memories from this website and all the pictures of my Dad up in my basement. I did speak to a few people from this website that knew my dad or had things to say, which was nice. Thanks to everyone in this website helping me follow all current stuff as well as when my dad was racing.I watched it tear the transom out in Cincinatti 84/85 when dad first started running F1 full time. That thing was way out front when it broke!

bstevenson201
01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
how many times they try to run that thing before they figured this wouldn't happen. did they ever finish a race?

Fred Hauenstein
01-14-2008, 05:50 PM
how many times they try to run that thing before they figured this wouldn't happen. did they ever finish a race?

This all happened in 1984.

OMC (and Merc) spent a lot of money with law firms over the V-8 circuit that year. OMC put the money into the V-8 circuit and didn't want Mercury and the T-4s messing with their V-8s. So, most of the European F-1 races and all the USA races outlawed Mercurys and the Wizard. It ran in London because the British sanctioning body, the RYA, wouldn't agree to ban the engine because it did qualify under the OZ class (F-1) UIM rules.

Both companies got tired of buying lawyers and settled the lawsuits before the last race - Cincinnatti. Part of the settlement was to allow Mercury to enter. Mercury held out until OMC agreed to also allow the Wizard to race there.

Johnnie Sanders and the Wizard won the first heat and were leading the second when the transom failed. That was the end of the 1984 season.

Then, UIM outlawed engines with more than one crankshaft. End of the Wizard of OZ!:(

As the Wizard Of ID said: "Wizards don't retire, they just disappear."

Fred

PS:
Yes, the cowl was borrowed from Rick Frost. We lost the original somehow and Rick had a spare Burgess cowl.

Arcadian also had another entry in that Cincinnatti race. Chris Bush was the youngest F-1 driver, piloting a Burgess with the smallest F-1 engine (Merc 2L.) ;) -FH

tthibodaux
01-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey Fred! I remember when dad raced the T4. You don't happen to have a picture of one do you?:)

Ron Hill
01-14-2008, 05:57 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 0px solid" width=175>Fred Hauenstein (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/member.php?u=94)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true); </SCRIPT>
Team Member

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_ style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Anyone Ask Sanders...
<HR style="COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Ron Hill
Fred,

Did anyone evey ask Johnny Sanders what it felt like to go a 150 MPH and have the transon pull out??? Maybe, like a Burgess at Parker???

See you in Detroit....Bring me a few good pictures to post!

Ron
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Ron:

Well, he was shaking afterwards!

Fred
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Freddy's transom pulled out and he did about a triple back flip and landed almost on the shore. He did have a broke back, but the capsule saved him. (He needed more stretch room above his head)...This Wizard....did it have a capsule???

Ron Hill
01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Mark Spencer wrote the article. Mark father used to race M Outboard Hydro...

Some mentions of Kenny Stevenson here...

Sutter's Gold Jr.
01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I remember being at the Minneapolis race with my dad in 1984. He was going to run Wil Pergande's new Seebold for their new sponsor, Texaco. All of the Texaco people showed up and we sat on the beach all weekend because of the dispute between OMC and Mercury. Threatend to send him to jail if he raced. I think that period/dispute was crippling to racing.

That was my dad's last year racing as his employer had promoted him and asked him to quit racing. If he wasn't so frustrated with state of the sport I'm sure he would have continued to race as he was only 40 at the time and starting to get his swagger back after the back to back accidents in Parker.

As Brandon mentioned above I am also reliving memories on this website. Thank you. I talked to my dad and we are going to box up all of his pictures/slides/negatives and send to www.scandigital.com so I can post a few from all his years of racing. He was into photography so he has thousands of pictures from his days in stock, pro, and opc.

Chris Sutter

carl lewis
01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Chris,

Ask your dad about the time he ran through the kilo traps at D lake, blew the 250 runabout over, went to the hardware store got duct tape wood yard sticks and black plastic, "rebuilt" the deck (that was gone) and went on to set the record that day with the deck flapping in the wind !!!!

quite a site to have seen !!!!

Carl

P.S. be sure to post a pic of the old BU sutters gold

Sutter's Gold Jr.
01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Carl,

Lee sent me a couple pictures and some commentary. Trying to figure out how to post a JPEG picture. Any clues?

Chris

Mark75H
01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Chris, try this link: posting images to this forum (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735)

If you have any trouble, send me a message by PM or email

-Sam

PS: we are looking forward to your pictures

Sutter's Gold Jr.
01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Carl...

A couple pictures and some commentary from Lee. More to follow.

Actually, Carl inquired about my 250 boat with a 350 4 banger Koenig. I have a picture of the boat with the plastic repaired deck. I’ll get you the pic to you soon. I do know that the record was 82 MPH and I ran the biggest prop I had and ran 91 MPH on the 1st pass and blew over coming back. With different gears, and nitro, it could have run over 95 to 98 MPH. Ron built the engine for the Hydro. The blow over was my fault….

One picture is my 350 Hydro at the 1975 Alky (PRO) nationals in Winona, MN where I won 350 Hydro and 250 Runabout Championship.

Other picture is Craig-Craft BSR that I ran at D Lake and Yelm. I set the kilo record at 73+ MPH and the 5 mile competition record at 59+ MPH. This was Craig’s boat.

Talked to Ron last week and we are talking about building a straight-a-way runabout for 350 Koenig to exceed 100 MPH!!!

geodavid
01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I think I was at Devil's lake with you about the time that Sutter Jr. was born. Yikes, does that put him at about 40??
Great pictures Lee. Looks like you have that 20H really jacked. What year was the photo taken? Do you have any 250 runabout pictures? I would like to see the entire boat. All I had a was a great view of the transom...

Sutter's Gold Jr.
01-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Alan,

Lee said to tell you "hi" and went on to tell me what a terrific person/racer you were/are. I am Lee's oldest son and am close to 40 yrs old (38). My brother Steve and Lee work together in Seattle and just bought a scanner so I will post some of thousands of pictures that Lee has in his basement. Two below are of his 250 runabout and the boat after he blew it over at D lake running through Kilo's. He said he went through kilo at 90.9mph and sat up at end at end of pass and the wind caught him and he blew over. Pissed off so he went hardware store bought plastic and tape and then went back out and set record at 85mph.

Tim Weber
01-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I was a kid about 10-11 years old when he was trying to set a kilo record at Kaukauna, Wisconsin with what looked like the same boat. He blew over on that day too. I don't remember how fast he was going but fast.

I do remember Jim Mertens setting the ModU record that day and Fred Haunstein breaking 100 with a mod 50.

Tim

MN1
02-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Scat Craft Tunnel SG Class 1973 and Bill Richter Sr. in 1974. Not sure what class Bill is running maybe UJ.
Mark N

Judi Cable
03-20-2009, 01:50 AM
Ron- #34 on 1972 Havasu Program is Ted May & #382 fueling is Del Stewart

MN1
12-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Ken Stevenson
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/MN392/KenStevenson2.jpg
Mark N

STV_Keith
12-06-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure exactly how much I'd give up to own a Molanari with a real F1 V8, but it would be a lot! Definitely the coolest ****e ever built as far as I'm concerned.

texflagg
10-30-2010, 11:08 PM
1966 to 1967 power cat and starncraft texas
bill (tex) flagg

AERO 1
02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Val,

Although the early built V-8 boats were Molinari's, later in the program Gary designed his own boats with the help of Leigh Furnal of "Flyer" boat. Leigh & his partner Jon Stone originally moved on a temporary basis & built the V-8 boats in the back building as shown in Bob Valchovics pictures. After building several boats there, they moved the construction back to Williamson, NY where they both were from.

Actually the 1st boat designed at Gary's Second Effort where designed and built by his good friend David Lee with whom Gary had worked with at Fountain. Ironically both the Lee's and the Garbrechts left NC on the same day. Dad also built the 1st US capsule for that boat...wow I was just a kid!

Lotsa Bills Racing
08-23-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=222&pictureid=1558

I believe Jake Gilbreath is also behind the wheel of this #26 boat owned by Paul Bills - also owner of the #218 next to it in the line up

Rotary John
08-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Paris 1974. Barry Woods passing Billy Seabolt

Lake X Kid
01-05-2013, 08:57 AM

Power Boat Magazine Aug' 1967 article & Switzer Craft picture.

Lake X Kid
01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I remember when the black boat came off the Como factory-line in 1973. It was so cool looking with the rainbow racing stripes. Previous Molinari boats that year had a tendency to be with a white base background. That boat in 1973 looked ominous with it's new V6 Merc.

If memory serves me right, Renato Molinari & Bob Hering teamed-up in Paris 1973, driving the Black & Rainbow boat.
Regarding Photo in post #552.

Paris 1974. Barry Woods passing Billy Seabolt

Lake X Kid
01-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Lake X Kid
01-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Lake X Kid
01-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Does boat #748 have three Chrysler engines?

Ron Hill
11-13-2013, 11:53 AM
I just found this picture. I'm not sure where it came from, but it sure looks like Bobby Switzer in the driver's seat. What do you think?

Ron Hill
11-17-2013, 06:00 PM
This was an "ORANGE" or "ORANGEISH" metal flake 18' Switzer Wing at Parker, probably 1967 or 1968. More wings: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?5798-About-Wings&highlight=wings

RogerH
02-20-2017, 03:20 PM
There were 4 Switzer Wings at the March 2016 Tavares FL Classic Race Boat event. They are ALL expected back there in Tavares March 17-19th. History coming alive!!!!! Diablo-3, Dust-n the Wind, Thunderball, and Red Bird Ted Boyd now owns and runs three Wings and Rich Luhrs runs Dust-n the Wind (w/two S3000's!).

61513 61514

Ron Hill
09-13-2017, 03:12 PM
B S H finals Beloit wisconsin

Jeff Fritz never race at Beloit. I think the D Runabout race, with Keith Stippich and I was 625 points might also be Guntersville.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Jeff Fritz never race at Beloit. I think the D Runabout race, with Keith Stippich and I was 625 points might also be Guntersville.
Ron, where is the original post by B. Valchovic

Ron Hill
09-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Ron, where is the original post by B. Valchovic

Bob admits is it Guntersville.

I talked to Gerry Hedlund, today, he said Ron and Gerry ran 1-2 at Guntersville. Gerry was also sure that Keith Stippich didn't race DU at Beloit.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Bob admits is it Guntersville.

I talked to Gerry Hedlund, today, he said Ron and Gerry ran 1-2 at Guntersville. Gerry was also sure that Keith Stippich didn't race DU at Beloit.

Still can't find the original post by Valchovic. HINT please

Ron Hill
09-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Still can't find the original post by Valchovic. HINT please
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?155-Raceboat-and-Switzer-Wings/page17

It starts here...

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Whose boat did Christy borrow? Shouldn't his number have had an E instead of N?

Kenny Winters 14-N from NYC

brichter
03-02-2018, 07:09 AM
Scat Craft Tunnel SG Class 1973 and Bill Richter Sr. in 1974. Not sure what class Bill is running maybe UJ.
Mark N
Mark, Great pic of Dad, Thanks! He was running Mod 90 class at the time. That boat was a Sid, sister boat of Schubert's #289 in the above post. Do you remember where the picture was taken?