PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of tiller steering torque?

omcstratos
04-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Running a 3cyl 40 Merc with the cav plate about 3in out of the water. The motor is a tiller steer and if seems like there is a crazy amount of torque steer happening. Ive seen some videos of the srg and bugalusa fast boats and wonder how they can run so fast with that kind of torque steer.

Is there any way to keep the tiller from steering so hard to the right or get some kind of steering assist system?

Riverrat001
04-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Running a 3cyl 40 Merc with the cav plate about 3in out of the water. The motor is a tiller steer and if seems like there is a crazy amount of torque steer happening. Ive seen some videos of the srg and bugalusa fast boats and wonder how they can run so fast with that kind of torque steer.

Is there any way to keep the tiller from steering so hard to the right or get some kind of steering assist system?

I've heard of people either twisting the skeg a little or you could put a little bondo wedge on the skeg

chris3298
04-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Seen some guys on here fab up a bracket to run a stabilizer from the motor then to the transom of there boat, basically it's a chock/steering stabilizer off a car. One guy on here use a Benz stabilizer on his motor said it worked really well. Search on here I know theres a picture some where.

omcstratos
04-30-2013, 08:14 PM
I've heard of people either twisting the skeg a little or you could put a little bondo wedge on the skeg

Yeah, I just looked up bob's machine and they make a torque tab that works kind of like the mercury torquemaster gearcases. It seems kinda cheap, I may try it

Ron Hill
04-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I just looked up bob's machine and they make a torque tab that works kind of like the Mercury Torquemaster gearcases. It seems kinda cheap, I may try it

They may look "Cheap" but you can weld them and epoxy them on and they will cut down torque. But they also make you go faster becasue your gearcase goes through the water straighter.

I don't sell them (Torque Tab), but have made my own just by welding a bead up the skeg and epoxying the cup in it. I usually make the cup too large, then file it back til the torque is neutral.

Good luck, it is worth the effort!

Roflhat
05-01-2013, 12:17 AM
You could try use bungees, we use it on thundercats.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y9j6MypxZoA/S0hXmmfJueI/AAAAAAAAAGY/OEi8KbVSqZo/s400/IMG_2887.JPG

http://www.thundercatinflatable.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1651&d=1313687739

Ron Hill
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
You could try use bungees, we use it on thundercats.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y9j6MypxZoA/S0hXmmfJueI/AAAAAAAAAGY/OEi8KbVSqZo/s400/IMG_2887.JPG

http://www.thundercatinflatable.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1651&d=1313687739

Bungees are good especially in a class were stock gearcases are required.

For the Enduro.....on our V-6's were run bungees and also the torque "TAMER"...

For myself, I always ran both. Now days with JPS's and On Board computers, figuring out speeds should be more "work", but results would be easier to prove.

What is nice about an ON BOARD computer is it doesn't take much room. After trying different things, you can down load the information and race one "Set up" with the other.

This is Chad's water proof computer. He controls it from outside the water proof box. Chad has improved our Signature Propellers performance by noticeable amounts by testing with the on board computer.

This is a little off subject, but testing is the answer to speed increases and torque reduction!

Nason
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
THE torque tab does help but I can tell you when I had 1 installed on a 40 merc I lost 3 mph

They may look "Cheap" but you can weld them and epoxy them on and they will cut down torque. But they also make you go faster becasue your gearcase goes through the water straighter.

I don't sell them (Torque Tab), but have made my own just by welding a bead up the skeg and epoxying the cup in it. I usually make the cup too large, then file it back til the torque is neutral.

Good luck, it is worth the effort!

Ron Hill
05-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Well figures don't lie. If that happened:

1. I'd file some of the tab off
2. I'd raise the motor

Did it reduce torque???

Nason
05-01-2013, 07:30 PM
I removed the tab that was installed after removing some of the cup on the tab, straighten the tab alittle at a time then just cut it off and gained back the 3 mph. The motor was jacked up with a chopper prop and i had to put 1 foot on the side of the boat wall, and 1 hand on the side wall of the boat to keep the motor kinda going straight. Even tried 3 bungee cord to help keep the motor straight but then i had to force to the left to keep boat running straight.

fs5
05-07-2013, 03:04 AM
look at my avatar, you can't do this on a tinny.but i'd bolt /weld a good solid piece of alloy on the side of your gunnel,extending back nearly level with the end of your cav plate.drill a hole in the alloy bar and one in your cav plate on the left of course ,and mess around with bunjie ropes and a couple of d shackles till you get it where you like it.

Binger
05-07-2013, 01:48 PM

here is a link https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/256453_344377998973430_891519204_o.jpg