PDA

View Full Version : Bob Hering Photos

mbd29
06-25-2013, 04:52 AM
Wayne: I found these in the files. There are also a lot of Jerry Waldman so will get those and post as well.

I also sent you several PM's and email, did you ever get them?

mbd29
06-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Here are a few more. Do you have any history on these?

Master Oil Racing Team
06-25-2013, 05:26 AM
Wow! Those are some great pit shots. No I have not received any notification I had any PM's so I haven't looked. Sometimes people send them to my brother Mark by mistake which is just plain Master Oil. My email is mort730@gmail.com. It has been two providers and one change in email address since we last corresponded, so maybe you got the wrong one.

Just checked PM's. Didn't get them.

Mike Schmidt
06-29-2013, 04:09 AM
The first three shots look like Depue shore line. The last three I don't know. The two pipe motors are class A or B. The four pipe motors are class C, D or F. They have Thunderbolt ignition and the big elbows. My guess is 1970 or 1971. The bigger megaphones and water injection came out in 1972.

The motors pictured here were as trick as it came in the early 70's. Note the 55-H down housing under the two cylinder motor. Mercury (Charlie who ???) built a run of magnesium housings that were lighter and stronger that the stock aluminum ones. They also built an adapter plate to mount the two cylinder engine to the four cylinder down housing. It is about two inches thick to allow the use of the A-B drive shafts.

Long story, but there is a very good chance that the two cylinder motor in these pictures used to sit about 10 feet from where I am typing this. There are some pictures of it on the Quincy Welding website.

MDB29: More picture please !!!!!!!!

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-29-2013, 05:32 AM
In the one picture you can see where the drivers meeting is on the pier where the satrting clock is located. That is Lakeland, FL. Some of the pit shots in the far background & shoreline looks like Lakeland as well.

Gene East
06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
If the 4 banger is on Bob's boat, it's a C. He never had a D or 44.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
A good eye John. You are absolutely correct and I think all of the photos were taken at Lakeland at the same time. There's too much consistency in the lighting, layout, and background for these pictures to be a mixed bag. They were also professionally done which my first guess after seeing them the first time was that Paul Simison had taken them. That's still a good guess, but there was also a professional photographer in Lakeland then by the name of Don Donelly. He took a lot of photos of boat racing and sold a plenty of them. The ones I have were stamped with his name on the back. That was in 1973. Right about that same time he was a recognized wedding photographer and had many articles published about how to do wedding photography. He was extremely good at his art and started a lecture/training circuit as one of the foremost in his trade as wedding photography advanced from merely photographs of the event to what they have become today. He was one of the pioneers. I am sure he still has his boat racing files, and they are GOOD.

mbd29
07-01-2013, 04:28 AM
I found these in a file that I thought were of Jerry Waldman. It had his name on it. I didn't look at the negatives real close but saw the AC logo so I thought they were of Jerry. Obviously, after I got the prints I see that they were of Bob not Jerry. There were a bunch more so will go back and pull the rest of them out. I believe they were from 1971 or early 72. Based on where the negatives were filed I would say they were taken by one of our photographers. Most likely George Kaprilien.

Wayne: I did try to email you a couple of times but you must not have gotten them. Try emailing me at mike_butler@mercmarine.com

Master Oil Racing Team
07-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Okay Mike. But I have been gone a lot last week and have also not been able to catch up on my emails. It's been hot down here. I went on one job 9 am Tues & got home 5:30 pm Wed, then spent two days working on a bulkhead in 100+ degrees. I kinda laid low over the weekend.