PDA

View Full Version : 2002 PRO Nationals

racingfan1
07-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Here are some program pages from the 2002 PRO Nationals on Lake DePue. This one's for you Todd !!!!!!

racingfan1
07-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Here are the 2002 champions along with the Propeller article , thanks again RC , some newspaper articles and pictures of a campground party from Bruce Summers.

1100r
08-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks Dale for posting. Great to see the pictures of so many friends that I have not seen since 2002 which was my last trip back. I keep wanting to make it but unfortunately something seems to change my plans called work. By the way Dale that was my last ride in the 1100r or any other boat. But like I said on HR watch out for next year, plans on the way to get there and give the other brother his ride named Dale this time!!!!

racnbns
08-02-2013, 05:03 PM
2002 1100 runabout

Dale, did you notice who the deck rider was. I don't know how that came about. Todd, why don't you fill in the details.

I forgot about my one and only ride in a 125 runabout[with a hydro]

Bruce

1100r
08-02-2013, 06:54 PM
First of all Bruce I want to ask how Shirley is doing. Sure was Great talking to both of you a few weeks ago on the phone!!

Well 2002 was a heck of a trip just getting to Consatatine then to Depue. It started with us losing an axle and tire on Interstae 80 passing a semi truck at mile marker 87 in Nebraska. For those wondering how I remember that its easy Paul Fuschlins boat number so you never forget. I still remember Derek Gesler's face when I told him our tire and rim just passed us. After getting to Michigan it was hard to get a rider as nobody really wanted to ride. Mike Krier rode the year before with me and to this day still whines and complains about it! But we still are the best of friends and talk all the time to one another but he still has a nick name lol.
We had our share of engine troubles between the 4- 1100 rigs we brought with us but mine just gave me fits all weekend and didnt run at all. Steve Litzell came up to me and told me he would help me once we got to Depue. Once in Depue Bull Moose as I call him and have for many years found my ignition timing slipped and had her fixed in no time. Well now I need a deck rider to test so Derek climbs in and when we get back in he was grinning from ear to ear and said this is going to be a great race to be in as he was scheduled to ride with his dad.
Unfortunately Brad wrecked in 500r and scratched. I was looking for a rider when Kieth said he would ride. I was great full and kept asking him are you sure!! Well the 1st heat Kieth and I won just beating out Terry Klemm and the Thirlbys Eddie and Mike. The 3rd heat on the last turn I broke a fly wheel and I was back a few spots but still had enough points to win as I was not able to pull the pipes as this started my long journey of many neck surguries to follow.
Bruce I was in the patrol boat when you ran a that hydro in the runabaout class I thought you really messed up this time. But the blow over of the 2 OSY boats side by side right passed me was one you dont forget.
This started my long time friendship with Bruce, Shirley and of course Kieth who rode with me and helped me win the Championship!! There were many many others that helped me as well Paul Fuchlin,Joe Johnson,The Geslers, Klemm,Bob Tadych, Kriers,Bull Moose, and many Im sure Im forgetting. But many thank to the never ending Tim Dwyer that changed my 500 motor to 1100r and kept me going all week long!! Thanks guys

Todd

racingfan1
08-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Great story Todd. That was my hope when I started posting these National pages , to try and get some of the stories behind the story. Wayne and John did a lot with the late 60's and early 70's posts.

BTW - can anybody identify the people in the picture that Bruce gave me and I posted. Bruce just said it was John Maddrells brat fest in the campground.

1100r
08-02-2013, 07:45 PM
I recognize Bruce in the blk chair with the white shirt and Craig Dewald in the red or maroon shirt sitting on the ground but not many others.

I still remember Litzel grabbing Buddy and taking him for his dunk that was special.

Wayne- Your next!!!!
There were so many behind the scenes stories between Krier myself,and Tadych thats what made my trips memorable some I wont mention lol. I still remember my boat being hung between 2 trees at Depue by the Thirlby trailer and everyone who was involved getting up that high lol. Or the joke at the weigh station on the way from Mich to Depue when my teammate Mr. Doug Rhea told them we were wanted and just stole that truck and trailer with the boats on it that was interesting to say the least.

The best for me was Bull Moose's hug and congradulations that meant a lot to me and still does!!! Steve flew to Ca years ago to Shadow Cliffs and ran my 500r on a visit and helped me so much with my 1100 and gave me some great info which got me on the right track. See Steve Litzell and Mitch Meyer thanks to Rich and Paul Fuchlin flew to Ca a few times to help show us how Ca guys how to fix or Yamatos and Konigs as we were all learning by a class held at the Fuchlin shop

Thats why I still hang around here and on HR even though I am unable to race ever again because of all the Family you have it just never ends!!!!

racnbns
08-03-2013, 06:42 PM
People in picture

There are a couple of Bob's a Bill[facing camera] a Brad and that's Marshal sitting next to me and Shirley looking over my shoulder. You'll have to supply the rest and the last names.

Shirley is doing fine. The cardiologist and the surgeon have both said she's ready for physical therapy. That will start ina week or two.
We may go to a boat show in Muscatine IA. I bought my Pugh F hydro from the friend I sold it to. It's in great shape and you can see it on Youtube running at Depue. Go to Youtube and enter Bruce Summers 1100 Hydro. There's also video of my 1100 runabout[Wayne Walgrave's]. I sent Jeff Lytle some video's to post and the next thing I know is there they are on youtube. Thanks Jeff!

Enough BS,

Bruce

1100r
08-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Bruce,
Thats great news on Shirley. She reminded me when we talked of when we chatted on the computer from Depue when they had Live streaming I believe thats what it was called great memory lol.

I have seen your video of the 1100r and remember a looper on a flat deck that Rod drove was that one of your old engines??
Hope to see your 1100h as well and will have to check Youtube for it.
Bruce thank you too for all you have done to help me when I raced in Depue and Mich and for offering to help a rookie driver I emailed you on a year or so ago.
This is why Boat Racers are sooo Special no matter where they are.

I like your Enough BS thats a good one lol

Todd

racnbns
08-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Todd
I'll try this again. Yes the runabout and 6 looper I sold to Rod. The runabout I got from Wayne Walgraves and the 6 looper was the one I made from 2 D loopers.

I wonder what happened to main streaming? Shirley enjoyed doing it and it gave people that couldn't be there a chance to be involved.
Somebody was going to put the title series races on T.V. Did that ever happen? I mean currently, not the water channel effort.

Bruce

Bruce,
Thats great news on Shirley. She reminded me when we talked of when we chatted on the computer from Depue when they had Live streaming I believe thats what it was called great memory lol.

I have seen your video of the 1100r and remember a looper on a flat deck that Rod drove was that one of your old engines??
Hope to see your 1100h as well and will have to check Youtube for it.

Todd

The runabout was the one I got fromWayne Walgraves and the 6 looper was the one I made from 2 D's. I sold them both to Rod. He and Kathi had fun running 2 man Runabout at DePue until he got serious about E Mod. runabout. He's been doing well in E Mod.

I wonder what happened to the Live Streaming? I thought it was a good idea and gave people that couldn't be there a chance to get involved. Somebody was going to put the title series races on t v. Did that ever happen?

Bruce

Bruce thank you too for all you have done to help me when I raced in Depue and Mich and for offering to help a rookie driver I emailed you on a year or so ago.
This is why Boat Racers are sooo Special no matter where they are.

I like your Enough BS thats a good one lol

Todd

1100r
08-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Bruce - Thats alot of History on your 1100r and motor. I remember when I 1st seen it and glad I did. I have many pictures of it as well. I remember when Cathy I believe that was her name as its been a long time ago now lol. I should have asked for a ride ha ha probably would have been told NO!!!
I found Rod on HR and sent him a message awhile back. Was great to hear back from him. Like my picture album says good times and good friends!!!

racingfan1
08-06-2013, 06:25 PM
So here is the youtube video of Bruce's 1100 looper runabout and his 1100 looper hydro. You will need to turn your volume all the way up to hear the hydro. Hey Bruce do you remember what year these were taken ? Quite a few boats in the hydro video I recognize , namely the 66 but I always got them mixed was that Gary or Eric?????. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgClOp52-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6zbXs3_1c

Amateur Photog
08-07-2013, 08:03 PM

racnbns
08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Dale:
I think the year of the video was 1989. I only ran it a couple of years and I sold it to Dixon Smith cause they were getting ready to run capsules in 1100 and I didn't want to go that route. I was a happily retired boat racer till I made the mistake of going to a boat race in 1997. I thought I was cured but I bought an engine from Mike Schmidt that winter and went racing the following season. I think I am cured now but if somebody offered me a boat[EURO] to drive I'd Be in it in a second! After all I won't be 81 for 3 years so I have 3 years to go to my retirement date.

The Pugh's race no's.---Eric 66--Gary 67. I had to do some digging and found pics. in some old title series newsletters. I'll send you a couple.
I liked cranking the Pugh's M's/125. You could put about 3 wraps onthem. Either it had a low tension ring or the ring was shot. Always started tho.

Bruce

So here is the youtube video of Bruce's 1100 looper runabout and his 1100 looper hydro. You will need to turn your volume all the way up to hear the hydro. Hey Bruce do you remember what year these were taken ? Quite a few boats in the hydro video I recognize , namely the 66 but I always got them mixed was that Gary or Eric?????. Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgClOp52-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6zbXs3_1c

1100r
08-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Great pictures Jean!! Brings back great times and memories. Seeing Howard in his 1100r is one I would like to have blown up and sent to him I like that one for sure!!!. Give you one guess whos prop he is running on it?? It is the same one he used to set the record with at Yelm not sure if he still holds the record or not though. What a great guy along with his wonderful wife Penny!!

Also seeing Terry Klemm running his hydro.
Todd

racingfan1
08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Jean - Thank you so much for adding the photos. Feel free to do it any time you want. They are great as usual!!!!!!

Todd. - I am pretty sure Howard still holds the competition record in 1100R. If I am not mistaken it was on the 1 2/3 course. Maybe Sheryl will chime in on that one. That kind of looks like Nick Nolthe deck riding with Howard , anybody know for sure????

Does anyone know if that was the boat J-Dub ran at Kingston with a new paint job?????

1100r
08-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Yes that is Nick riding with Howard. I sure dont know if thats Howards old boat that J-Dub ran at Kingston. My gut says yes as if I remember it looked like a yamato 500 on the back of the boat in 1 of the pictures. If so it could be as Howard, Brad and I had the same towers that made it very easy to change from the yamato to the Konig with an adapter plate with all the cables used for the pipes, throttle etc but not 100% sure.

Well if Howard still holds that record thats great as Klemm I believe holds all the others. Maybe I will put the prop on a plack and mail it to him to place above his fireplace mantel. That prop has a few Anderson stories behind it too.

Todd

PhotoGirlGA
08-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I sure appreciate digital photos more when having to scan old pics!

1100r
08-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Those last sets of pictures are Great. Was that Denny Henderson during the race or testing? and was that the year he was hit on the front straight?
I like the flat deck boat with Rod and Cathy as I understand there is alot of history in the boat as well.

Litzell sitting there looks WAY to serious lol. I think he was thinking of those famous mud slides with the gas motor he used to make them. Still remember going to get more items for that at the store lol

Do you have any of Ralph in his boat?

Thanks for the picture of my boat with Kieth riding with me. Notice all the side paddings that was for Mike Krier when he rode the year before and wanted padding on the side to aid in his ride lol

Wish I had a picture when Litzell drove my boat here in Ca at Shadow Cliffs with the 500 on it. Still see him flying in it.

Thanks for sharing the pictures Jean as this was my very last time in a boat and at a boat race
Todd

Master Oil Racing Team
08-16-2013, 07:11 PM
I am with you Jean regarding scanning. Unfortunately (or maybe not) all my old stuff has to be scanned. I do have non boat racing photos that have been lost forever because of computers, but I have to say I have enjoyed not having to dunk film in the darkroom, then make numerous prints in the lab. But unfortunately, I still have to scan most of my boat racing photo's. I'm not close to even doing half the color photos much less the B&W. I really enjoy you photos very much. You've got some good stuff. Look for a PM.

racingfan1
08-16-2013, 10:21 PM
It does look like Denny's boat is going down but he doesnt seem to excited. And I don't think Ralph has changed a bit since 2002. Thanks for the pictures Jean , they are very much appreciated!!!!

BTW - Todd do you still have all your equipment????

PhotoGirlGA
08-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Todd,

That was Denny during the race. In the next frame his boat is sinking and he is laying across the bottom of it.

I love the pic of Ralph and Steve, they logged many miles (and years) trailering together. I have some old shots of both of them racing, I am sure.

I was definitely more selective in what and how many frames I took back then (it was quite a change in mindset when I went digital).
Film and developing was so expensive.

I have had fun going through old pics for sure and enjoy sharing them!

1100r
08-17-2013, 09:57 AM
I thought that was when Denny was hit. Glad he was ok as it could have been alot worse.

Yes Steve and Ralph were quite the guys and I enjoyd talking with them each time I was back to race. Somehow the name of rainbow bread boat comes to mind as Ralphs boat resembled a rainbow bread package. It was really a neat boat.

Jean - I can only imagine the expense of buying rolls of film but I am very thankful there are those like you and others that have done this and still do, as I and all of the racers truely enjoy them. Thank you for the last picture of me and my boat above as I mentioned was my last time in a boat or ever to drive a boat again. I remember meeting you and Buddy at Constatine I believe that same year. Everyone headed to a nice restaurant by one of the Great Lakes in Mich and when we got there it was packed and along wait. So we went back to town and got pizza and seen you and Buddy so we talked a bit. Talk about someone who I watched when he raced going for all Championships in a row wow.

Thanks again for your time adding the pictures here for me to enjoy

Todd

1100r
08-17-2013, 10:15 AM
It does look like Denny's boat is going down but he doesnt seem to excited. And I don't think Ralph has changed a bit since 2002. Thanks for the pictures Jean , they are very much appreciated!!!!

BTW - Todd do you still have all your equipment????

Sorry Dale I did not see your post and question to me about my equipment. Answer Yes I do!

racingfan1
08-17-2013, 08:07 PM
I will agree that digital is much easier but I really think those years of shooting film makes for a better photographer. Wayne and Jean , you both have some amazing film pictures. I still have my old Canon Rebel film camera but even film is getting hard to find for it.

I had a science teacher in junior high that enjoyed photography and he started a club for students that were interested. It was not just taking pictures but we also developed our own film in a darkroom that he made in an old closet. He took us on trips to different places at different times of day to learn what the different daylight conditions did to change the look of a picture. We even did a couple a of shoots at night to learn about exposure and such. A lot of the stuff he taught us I still use today , even tho we all use digital. Thank you Mr. Rittenhouse!!!!!!!!

PhotoGirlGA
08-18-2013, 08:54 AM
A lot of the stuff he taught us I still use today , even tho we all use digital. Thank you Mr. Rittenhouse!!!!!!!!

How awesome to have worked with such a wonderful mentor Dale. I got involved in photography much later in life and am very appreciative of those who have provided support and inspired me to be a better photographer (Wayne Baldwin!)

Todd - I have some pics from 2000 of your boat sporting a very lightweight mystery deck rider ;)

Here are a few more from 2002. Marion Jung and Pete Kelly at the finish line decide to make it a bit more exciting. Thankfully they were both OK.

1100r
08-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Jean - Im grinning from ear to ear about the 2000 picture you might be speaking of and that deck rider is still around lol. If it is the one your talking about it definately is light as air. Im thinking there were a couple different ones from that year but the Ca guys and Krier and his pit crew Tadych played a lot of jokes between us fun ones though. The best one they did to me though was 1999 when they hung my boat between 2 trees in the Thirlby camp. Klemm, Borges got me side tracked as Klemm and I had a bet before we left for Depue who's boat was the lightest 1100r. We both had bought Lee Tietze's hardware and had hardware in very light grams. Klemm told me when he seen my boat in the trees I guess yours wins its light as air. We all got a good laugh.

The pictures of the 2 boats that blew over I was in the patrol boat at that turn. You could see that one coming as neither of them was giving an inch. Your right Jean they made it more interesting and glad they both were ok.

Thanks again for sharing your pictures they truely are awesome!!!!

Todd

Tim Weber
08-18-2013, 12:16 PM
The green boat that J-Dub had at Kingston is not Howard's. I asked him if it was and J-Dub's response was " Are you crazy? I would never paint Howard's bloat."

Tim

1100r
08-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear that J-Dub left the color the same as Howard had it. One of a kind for sure. It looked liked the same tower but hard to tell so I thought it might have been. Those towers were made by Harry Bartoleme (SP) so there were not to many of those on other boats. Not to say Howard didnt have more of those towers as Mark Borges drove for Harry for a long time and Mark is Howards son in-law. I wonder how old that boat is now and if thats the same boat that Howard picked up at the Bakersfield Nationals years ago. It may be a different boat but I remember Howard telling me he had a boat built and he picked it up at Bakersfield.
No matter what, that boat was always fast and competitive along with the capsule hydro!!

Todd

Todd

racingfan1
08-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Maybe I will go with 2000 next just to see Jean's 2000 pictures!!!!!!!!

I am also glad to hear that J-Dub did not paint Howards runabout. As George Carlin's character Philmore said in the Disney movie Cars , " Respect the classics man. "

1100r
08-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Dale- Lets go to 2003 or any other lol

Kayaker2
12-08-2013, 10:35 AM
55847 Bruce at Motorheads/Propduster antique outboard motor meet at lauderdale Lakes. ‎June ‎22, ‎2013
Bob K.

racnbns
12-08-2013, 06:18 PM
55847 Bruce at Motorheads/Propduster antique outboard motor meet at lauderdale Lakes. ‎June ‎22, ‎2013
Bob K.

Bob---

Was that a picture of my "NEW" hydro?

Bruce

Kayaker2
12-09-2013, 12:19 AM
I,m going to try posting that photo again.55857

racnbns
12-09-2013, 05:43 PM
I,m going to try posting that photo again.55857
Looks good to me but I'm prejudiced[sp].

Bruce