PDA

View Full Version : sst 45 not idling

Gilbert381
09-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Hey fellow 45 owners, my 45 runs strong but just will not idle.
I fired it on the ramp and after a few tries it fires, will idle for a good
6-8 mins on its own then dies. It'll turn over no problems but takes a squirt
Of starting fluid then runs like a raped ape. Still won't idle after that and will die
unless I keep some throttle on it. Any ideas or opinions?

LittleCharger
09-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Might want to check your reeds, chipped or cracked reeds will cause it not to idle

MWhite
09-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Hey fellow 45 owners, my 45 runs strong but just will not idle.
I fired it on the ramp and after a few tries it fires, will idle for a good
6-8 mins on its own then dies. It'll turn over no problems but takes a squirt
Of starting fluid then runs like a raped ape. Still won't idle after that and will die
unless I keep some throttle on it. Any ideas or opinions?

Its might be sucking air from somewhere, or not getting enough air,, hose broke or cracked and sucking air, What kind of compression u got? I seen a 25 merc do this and after i ran a compression check on it,, it didnt have enough to keep it running, had to keep fanning it to keep it running. something to check.

omcstratos
09-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I've got a standard omc 50hp 45ci looper and it idles poorly as well. I have had many people bring in boats with the OMC 2cyls with idle problems in the past years. These motors run well until they have accumulated a bit of hours on them. Usually I have to richen up the idle screws a lot, about 4 full turns out!!! I've never been able to get my motor to idle in gear very long.

These 2cyl motors have been made for a long time and the earlier ones seemed to idle even worse. The ignition system would only fire every other revolution or so, the older motors would skip and ping like crazy. I don't know that much about the innards of the motor as far as air flow, but I feel that they don't create very good crankcase pressure at low speeds. I was thinking about stuffing my crankcase to see if it improves any...?