PDA

View Full Version : 3 cyl Merc 40

Pages : 1 [2]

pdt
01-20-2014, 06:57 AM
"Less weight rotating mass = longer engine life, faster revving, and less stress friction on the roller bearing assembly"

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

HGipson
01-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Now we have proven a point that you're an idiot so now we can get back to questions. I've got a complete 60 powerhead assembly I am planning on building up for as much as I can get out of (play motor). Is there a difference in that and the 40 powerhead as far as porting and cutting that I need to be aware of before starting?

fs5
01-20-2014, 09:35 PM
man that's just wrong,i think you've gone to far.....

HGipson
01-21-2014, 09:39 AM
I reopened the thread since our dear friend is gone. Now we can get back to talking about our motors !

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-21-2014, 04:37 PM
I reopened the thread since our dear friend is gone. Now we can get back to talking about our motors !

HGipson:

Has he been banned from the board? If so good riddance. I am surprised it didn't happen before now. I don't see his name on the members list anymore, although I think when the moderator's/webmaster banned someone in the past, it was stated by their name that's what was done.

He must have been strictly a troll, but what amazes me is he could have become very knowledgeable just by reading the various posts. That is why after a while I thought he must surely be a troll. It was not necessary to show his arse like he did with the stupid insulting posts and pay the consequences, as he only shafted him self, if he cared. I often wondered if he had suffered a blow to the head earlier in life, or perhaps was on something, especially to register under his real name twice and then aggravate everyone who was trying to help him. Maybe too much rum in the storage locker of his Dory.

Oh well, his loss, not ours.

MWhite
01-21-2014, 06:04 PM
He was a full bubble off of being plum that's for sure. His ground wire was dragging. Glad this idiot is gone.

omcstratos
01-21-2014, 08:31 PM
He has come back before.... and I'm sure he will again.

Fastjeff57
01-24-2014, 08:23 AM
Like a bad penny...

Can anyone explain to me why one should port an exhaust port lower so that the piston is exposed at BDC?

Jeff

PS: Damn, it's cold out there! Single digits again today.

Yellowjacket
01-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Like a bad penny...

Can anyone explain to me why one should port an exhaust port lower so that the piston is exposed at BDC?

Jeff

PS: Damn, it's cold out there! Single digits again today.

Jeff,

If you port it a bit lower the exhaust gas won't scrub along the surface and won't transfer as much heat to the cylinder wall in that area. Keeps the oil from burning on the cylinder wall in that area. Remember too that the heat is conducted away from the area between the ports so if the temperatures are lower on the cylinder below the ports, the temperatures between the ports will go down too. It's all about keeping the oil film from getting too hot and breaking down.

Fastjeff57
01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Excellent explanation!

Thanks.

Jeff