PDA

View Full Version : National Pepper Association Fund Raiser Auction

Ron Hill
09-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Master Oil and myself are having an auction for some of Master Oil's Hot Sauce.

When I called Ron tonight, I had just made up a batch of chilipetin pepper hot sauce and thought it would be fun to get something going here on the National Pepper Association thread.

We had a lot of good conversation about what's going on with boat racing, building props, etc. Then Ron liked my idea and told me the only thing really going great in his garden is his peppers. Then he said maybe we could make a challenge. I think that is a great idea, but to start this thing off, this is what I'm offering. I have three four ounce jars of freshly made and canned chilipetin pepper sauce. It is a pepper generally graded around 7thor 8th hottest in the world (although there are a number in the same grouping of heat indexes). It is known by a number of different spellings. Chilipetin, chilipitin, chilipequin, chilepequin, petin and a couple of others I forget.

It is very small, takes awhile to pick enough to make and can a batch, and only grows mostly in southern Texas and Northern Mexico. Therefore, 99.9 percent or maybe greater odds than that will never have an opportunity to taste this truly unique pepper sauce. It is unlike any other sauce you have ever tasted. Hot is hot. I don't make sauce to taste hot. You burn out your taste buds. Why then even eat anything but boiled meat if you can't taste? My sauce will give you a bite, and if you are not used to hot sauce, or start out with too much on a chip, you will be sweating and dipping your tongue in cold milk. But if you use it responsibly, you will find it to be the best tasting hot sauce you ever tried. I like Louisiana Hot Sauce, and it is good.....very good. But this one is different in taste because Louisiana Hot Sauce still uses the standard peppers in their own unique formula. Same thing with Tabasco. Tabasco is one of the best hot sauces with the greatest history ever. But it's still based on the same basic peppers as a base.

Chilipetin's they say have a nutty flavor. I don't know. When I read wine reviews about a particular wine having a nutty flavor with hints of blackberry and a side of spearmint followed by a chocolate finish, I think these food and wine writers are just out to impress one another. I never had any kind of these thoughts when tasting wine, and I don't about the peppers. All I know is that this may be your only chance to taste on of the most delicious hot peppers in a sauce that will only be as hot as you want it to be. You can use a little or a lot. A very little will give you the flavor without the "sucking in air" too help cool down reaction. And it's really not bad because unlike some peppers, it's hotness falls off rapidly. I read somewhere that "petin" in the Nuatal or some indian language refers to quick or fast and means that the heat will soon be gone.

So here's my plan. I will offer three....not one.....but three jars to be auctioned off. The top three bidders will each receive a jar. All you need to do is offer up your bid here on this thread. Ron will set the time limit. The contributions will be made to BRF however Ron says, and when he gives me the go ahead and addresses to ship, I will send them out. I proposed this to Ron and he liked the idea. We may even get a pepper sauce competition going later. Ron said he had a good batch of peppers to use. This sauce was cooked and canned in a hot water bath, so you can set it in your pantry for however long you want before you open it up. After that, keep it in the fridge. It's only chemical hot, so don't worry about your fridge temp.

ADD: I didn't show the vinegar because I only took one picture of that and didn't realize that the autofocus passed through the glass measuring cup and clear vinegar and it was out of focus. In the next to the last picture that is uniodized kosher salt and pepper floating on top.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-18-2013, 08:22 PM
When I called Ron tonight, I had just made up a batch of chilipetin pepper hot sauce and thought it would be fun to get something going here on the National Pepper Association thread.

We had a lot of good conversation about what's going on with boat racing, building props, etc. Then Ron liked my idea and told me the only thing really going great in his garden is his peppers. Then he said maybe we could make a challenge. I think that is a great idea, but to start this thing off, this is what I'm offering. I have three four ounce jars of freshly made and canned chilipetin pepper sauce. It is a pepper generally graded around 7thor 8th hottest in the world (although there are a number in the same grouping of heat indexes). It is known by a number of different spellings. Chilipetin, chilipitin, chilipequin, chilepequin, petin and a couple of others I forget.

It is very small, takes awhile to pick enough to make and can a batch, and only grows mostly in southern Texas and Northern Mexico. Therefore, 99.9 percent or maybe greater odds than that will never have an opportunity to taste this truly unique pepper sauce. It is unlike any other sauce you have ever tasted. Hot is hot. I don't make sauce to taste hot. You burn out your taste buds. Why then even eat anything but boiled meat if you can't taste? My sauce will give you a bite, and if you are not used to hot sauce, or start out with too much on a chip, you will be sweating and dipping your tongue in cold milk. But if you use it responsibly, you will find it to be the best tasting hot sauce you ever tried. I like Louisiana Hot Sauce, and it is good.....very good. But this one is different in taste because Louisiana Hot Sauce still uses the standard peppers in their own unique formula. Same thing with Tabasco. Tabasco is one of the best hot sauces with the greatest history ever. But it's still based on the same basic peppers as a base.

Chilipetin's they say have a nutty flavor. I don't know. When I read wine reviews about a particular wine having a nutty flavor with hints of blackberry and a side of spearmint followed by a chocolate finish, I think these food and wine writers are just out to impress one another. I never had any kind of these thoughts when tasting wine, and I don't about the peppers. All I know is that this may be your only chance to taste on of the most delicious hot peppers in a sauce that will only be as hot as you want it to be. You can use a little or a lot. A very little will give you the flavor without the "sucking in air" too help cool down reaction. And it's really not bad because unlike some peppers, it's hotness falls off rapidly. I read somewhere that "petin" in the Nuatal or some indian language refers to quick or fast and means that the heat will soon be gone.

So here's my plan. I will offer three....not one.....but three jars to be auctioned off. The top three bidders will each receive a jar. All you need to do is offer up your bid here on this thread. Ron will set the time limit. The contributions will be made to BRF however Ron says, and when he gives me the go ahead and addresses to ship, I will send them out. I proposed this to Ron and he liked the idea. We may even get a pepper sauce competition going later. Ron said he had a good batch of peppers to use. This sauce was cooked and canned in a hot water bath, so you can set it in your pantry for however long you want before you open it up. After that, keep it in the fridge. It's only chemical hot, so don't worry about your fridge temp.

ADD: I didn't show the vinegar because I only took one picture of that and didn't realize that the autofocus passed through the glass measuring cup and clear vinegar and it was out of focus. In the next to the last picture that is uniodized kosher salt and pepper floating on top.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Here are the jars to be auctioned.

Ron Hill
11-18-2013, 09:02 PM
he auctioning of batch of chilipetin pepper hot sauce....The first thing that entered my mind is we'd be "SELLING" some that might kill the average person, and we probably won't require "BIDDERS" to wear "cut suits".

I think we will auction off one jar at a time, kind of like a "TEST CASE" in case someone were to die for this "HOT SAUCE".

I thin the winning bidder will have to sign a "Hold Harmless Agreement". This "Agreement would hold The National pepper Association, BRF, Wayne Baldwin and Th Whole Entire World harmless.

Rules...dam we need rules!

Ron Hill
11-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Rules for Auction for One jar of Wayne Baldwin's Batch of Chilipetin Pepper Hot Sauce.

1. You must have Pay Pal, checking account or access to getting a money order.

2. Decisions and Rule interceptions by the National Pepper Association will be final.

3. Auction will be for 30 days.

4. Winner will need to sign the above mentioned release of liability.

5. Hot Sauce will be shipped per paid once BRF receives the payment in full and the release is signed. If the winner is under 18 years of age, we'll need a parental release.

6. Bids will be posted on BRF and a bid will be considered firm, once posted.

7. Proceeds from this auction will go to.........Haven't figured this one out yet...(Maybe USTS, Red Cross or ????)

8. Top three bidders will get a jar of Wayne Baldwin's batch of chilipetin pepper hot sauce.

Ron Hill
11-21-2013, 09:09 PM
OK, as being President of the National Pepper Association that I am, here's the rules:

1. Top three bidders will win a jar of Wayne's (Master Oil) Hot Sauce.
2. Winning bidders, will send a CHECK or Pay Pal to BRF and indicate the charity of their choice or Group they wish to donate to. Example, you are number thre bidder and you want you check to go to NBRA. You send me a check or Pay Pal me. Wayne sends the sauce...I send a check to NBRA.

Auction ends December 15th, 2013 at 6:00 P.M. California time.

I bid $10 FOR THE HOT SAUCE. LET THE BIDDING BEGIN!

Master Oil Racing Team
11-22-2013, 08:32 AM
As Ron said, I pay the shipping so Ron doesn't have to worry about that. He sends me the names of the three winners and I send them from here to anywhere in the world. We have been sending flat rate packages to Afghanistan for over a year, and believe it or not packages of jerky, M&M's etc. gets there intact in only about 10 days. It may take a little longer going that far in the middle of December, but probably not by much. So Jackie Wilson.....get your bid in.

Ron Hill
11-25-2013, 04:13 PM
No bidders???Or don't you understand you MUST post your bid???

Master Oil Racing Team
11-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Maybe people are bypassing this thread thinking it's the election of officers. Or else they have no idea of what the difference is between hot and unique flavor. If you end up with the three jars Ron....you will be caught between wanting to share them, and hiding what's left in the fridge. If there does not seem to be any interest in this thread, it might be time to start one on the Hot sauce side which I should have done in the first place I suppose.

Bill Van Steenwyk
11-26-2013, 07:36 PM
As Ron said, I pay the shipping so Ron doesn't have to worry about that. He sends me the names of the three winners and I send them from here to anywhere in the world. We have been sending flat rate packages to Afghanistan for over a year, and believe it or not packages of jerky, M&M's etc. gets there intact in only about 10 days. It may take a little longer going that far in the middle of December, but probably not by much. So Jackie Wilson.....get your bid in.

Wayne:

I know you remember the results with my mailbox guest "Larry Lizard", and the horrible death involved when he got into the petins that you sent me a year or so ago. The reason I bring this up is UPS and FED EX have an extra charge that they call a "HAZMAT" fee. It is charged when something that may spontaneously combust or is otherwise hazardous when shipped.

In addition you might have problems getting these product thru customs or similar to TSA officials that we have at airports here in the US to inspect for terrorist activities and stop it before it takes place. I understand they use "Sniffers" that can test from the outside of the package and tell whether there is anything that might cause harm contained in the package.

Remembering what Larry looked like when he got in to the heavy mailing envelope containing the petins, and then the charred spot on the grass by the mailbox where he lay for several days after the terrible event that took his life, makes me think that getting the product to the winner is not going to be as easy as you and Ron think, and could possibly end up with you as the shipper being investigated for the shipment of dangerous goods!

The worst of events sometimes come from the most innocent of endeavors. so watch yourself. Too far to most Federal Pens for me to travel to visit you at my advanced age, and with that "Z" that Debby has now, very little trouble for her to catch another husband.

Ron Hill
11-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Maybe, Wayne should check with FedEx as they allow or have a service that shipped some pretty "Exotic" fuels....

More details needed about Larry The Lizard!!!

Anyone know what Harry S. Truman's middle name was?

hydroc888
11-26-2013, 09:11 PM
i will startout with a $10 doller bid > lets see if this gets on BRF.

Bill Van Steenwyk
11-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Ron:

For more on "Larry" see post #310 on the Baldy Thread posted on 6-12-2011.

"Larry" did not have a name as such until after his unfortunate accident in my roadside mailbox which I describe in the above listed post. Based on the strange and horrifying death that was his fate, he was named posthumously as I felt he deserved more recognition than if he had just died a natural or accidental death. You could probably consider it a suicide, as he had to be aware of the coming results as he was eating the Chili's, but was just not able to stop himself. Maybe something similar to the occasional "spontaneous combustion" that occurs with humans sometimes, usually while just sitting in a chair in front of the TV or some other method of amusement , only the cause of that type death is really still not known. Larry's favorite pastime while in the mailbox was reading the ads in the various magazines we subscribe to that are placed by the Geico company who use the Gecko in their ads. The reason I know that is what he was doing when he suffered his fate is the page the ad was on was severely scorched.

I am sure when the process was well on its way, Larry wished there had been some way to speed up the process, but because of the lack of traffic on our road, he was not even offered the blessing of being able to slither himself under the wheels of a passing car to hasten the process and spare himself excruciating pain.

There was absolutely no doubt as to what happened to Larry, as the opening in the heavy mailing envelope and then the plastic bag containing the chili's, so some could be removed and consumed, was just large enough for his small body, and the neighbor across the road said they also heard some very high pitched somewhat "squeaky" screams, thought to be for the purpose of calling for water, both to drink and pour over his body. Fortunately I was spared and was not able to hear the sounds made during the death struggles, both because of my hearing and also the much further distance from the mail box to my home (approximately 1000ft.)

As was the case then, the bare spot in the grass still exists where the foliage has refused to take root since that time, almost 2 1/2 years ago now. This surely speaks to the strength and flavor of Waynes chili's. It was just a shame a life had to be lost in the tasting/testing of same.

RIP, Larry.

Ron Hill
11-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Ron Hill bids $12.00

Master Oil Racing Team
11-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Bill Van...I somehow missed your first post on Larry the Lizard recently, although I am familiar with the incident. However, you were sent the little red bombes in a package, and not that many. I didn't know that the capital of fresh horseradish was full of weaney's. Someday we should combine your horseradish with my chilipetins. It would be like installing a blower and clamping on an afterburner. Whoooeeee!. That combination on a burger would be something to remember.

This stuff we are auctioning off is a very good tasting sauce to be used sparingly. It has to be hot because of the chilipetin pepper base, but I dialed it back with the other ingredients. Just because your head breaks out in sweat remembering that sirloin that my Dad patted down with Jalapeno juice doesn't mean that what I am offering will break you down. My sauce is meant to enhance a meal. If you can't enjoy what you are eating because you are in pain, then you or your host is either screwed up or a jerk. Or maybe in my Dad's case.....just playing with you.

There's still plenty of time to put in a bid, but it would suit me fine if Ron got all three, because he would know what to do with them. Ron's got lots of friends. And I suspect they are a lot like a lot of us boat racers, and he will make the most of enjoying a most unique sauce they will never forget. I'm not in the business of selling the sauce, and it takes a long time to pick these little peppers, so any chance of getting another shot at the taste will most likely fall to Ron. I suppose he will be wanting some more next year and so I will make some for him.

Today I took two jars to my father in laws where some guys were laying down tile. He bought a several dozen hot tamales and we chowed down. The guys lapped it up. They liked the flavor with the bite that didn't kill. (They were careful not to spill any on the newly set tile).

Master Oil Racing Team
12-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I got word today from a young friend at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan that the Chilitpetin pepper sauce is a tear in his eye. It's not the hot, but the taste. He found some Doritos to use in the dip. It's not like tortilla chips, or a taco, but he was in ecstasy to have something from home unavailable from anywhere else. The guys around him wondered how he got something like this.

You can donate to Wounded Warriors or one of several fine organizations for Vets. I can send the package to an ASPO address overseas, or to Washington, D.C. And Pete Hegespeth (sp) on Fox News is an outstanding spokesman for veteran's issues and he has an organization I think called "Veteran's for America".

So if you think you can't handle the "heat" of a naturally grown, and organic heater pepper from America, then think about sending a contribution to one of the many fine charitable organizations out there, and vets are the top of my list.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-14-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm going to the post office Monday and get one box to send all three jars to Ron unless a couple of other people put in bids. It will cost me more to send out three separate packages than the one single package to Ron, but if two others want to make a cheap bid ( as long as there's not a minimum on Paypal) each, that's what I'll do. Deadline is up tomorrow. It would actually suit me just fine for Ron to get all three. He knows this type of condiment and can make the best use of it.

Ron Hill
01-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Wayne sent me my prizes plus some great pictures I will be posting..

Master Oil Racing Team
01-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Glad you got everything Ron. The day I said I was going to send them, I opened the package and stuffed some other things in there to keep the hot sauce from rolling around. So the package didn't leave until the next day. It might have gotten a little frostbite on the way, but I would like to know what you and Laura think about the sauce. As I told you on the phone I swapped one jar of the rare Chilipetin sauce for a common picante. That can be made everyday from common ingredients and is not hot. Just adds an excellent flavor. II you want it hot, just add more jalapenos, or serrano peppers (Hotter). It is a simple recipe and much better than PACE.

Ron Hill
01-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I got the "Care Package" of photos....Posted some on BRF and Facebook. The sauce looks great, but I've decided to let our employees "TEST DRIVE" it first.

I'm thinking we need to have hot sauce contests at boat races and reunions. Some what like Chili Cook offs...I think it would be a really "PLUS" for the races.

Ron Hill
01-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I got the "Care Package" of photos....Posted some on BRF and Facebook. The sauce looks great, but I've decided to let our employees "TEST DRIVE" it first.

I'm thinking we need to have hot sauce contests at boat races and reunions. Some what like Chili Cook offs...I think it would be a really "PLUS" for the races.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
That sounds like a good idea Ron.

There's lots of recipes and peppers out there to chose from these days. The trick is not to make it the hottest, but the best one to add to a dish that not only compliments it, but make it better. Anyone who thinks "Hot is better" needs to enter Jalapeno eating contests. Lots of people like hot. But just hot without flavor is like a Doberman wolfing down a whole can of "Dog's Delight" as it flew through the air.

I might be able to set aside some time to put in an entry myself.

oldalkydriver
01-11-2014, 01:08 AM
Hi Wayne. It has been a long time since I first wrote you. At least 6 years or so. After our first writing, I was amused by what we had in common, aside from boat racing! If I remember correctly, I first contacted you with a few questions concerning photography. Then it was about scanning and resizing photo's. We talked a little about computers as that was my line of work at the time.

Then I moved to the Philippines and opened a sports bar so to speak. Well that did go too well, as the town I was in is too small to support that type of business. Then came the problem of my eating. I couldn't eat Filipino type foods. So I started cooking for myself. To make a long story short, it became a big hit. American style burgers made with all imported ingredients. Being from San Diego, I missed 'border food'. Almost like TexMex, but different. I can't buy good sauce over here, so I started making my own. I could probably make a good living off of that alone.

I don't know how I will do it, but maybe I can find a way to send you some. You are right when you say; "hotter is not better." I really love hot, but as I age gracefully I'm finding 'robust flavor' is better. We get lots of chili's in this part of the world. Tomatoes suck, but I have a supply of 'Roma, Plum, and American Beauties.' Lots of different recipe's and techniques out there.

Have a good day.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-11-2014, 09:35 PM
I remember well our correspondence. In fact, I always read what you post because it is interesting and we do have a lot in common.

I think where you live now has some very hot peppers, but people get accustomed to it. They do here, and everywhere. I eat what people up around New York , Pennsylvania, Illinois, Oregon, etc. would consider hot but it would not take them long to become accustomed to some good pepper spiced sauce. Some of the peppers in the area where you live now would probably mean you had to grow up with those peppers, or take awhile to get adjusted.

I finished picking most of the chilipetins from our several bushes four days ago and froze them until I can make more sauce. When I do, I will get back with you and we can swap recipes, or sauce. It's cheap to send a small package from here anywhere around the world. I don't know if it's the same for you, but if Bill Van Steenwyk doesn't have the NSA convinced it's a hazardous package, it might not cost too much.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-16-2014, 08:48 PM
PACE picante sauce went national a few years ago. There was a national advertising campaign about Texans being PO'd about New Yorker's making picante.

It is one of the best off the shelve hot sauces. There are very many good ones, but this one probably has more recognition. I will post the recipe for this sauce later.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-22-2014, 08:33 PM
I saw the PACE recipe somewhere just before I made the previous post. Unfortunately, I did not copy it or write it down at the time. Supposedly, hot peppers opens up your arteries, speeds up you metabolism, and has some great benefits for your body. Un fortunately, they have no specific memory aspects to get you back to the exact place you thought you remembered something.

Aside from that, I have a report that Chilipetin production at my house is significantly down this year. Drought is back, and Environmentalists dumped hundreds of billions of gallons of water into the bay during the past year and our two main reservoirs are emptied to the point of water rationing. I water my yard through a centrifugal pump with suction in the lake. Water levels dropped so rapidly that I lost suction from my pickup. No explanation as to why they dumped so much water so quickly except on a website the say how much it has helped the ecology of the marine biosphere.

Maybe I will water certain plants to bring them back. They produce through most of the year. I might make another Chilipetin offer later if I can produce enough.