PDA

View Full Version : Eigenbau-Rennmotor homemade race motor

Mark75H
01-03-2014, 07:36 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/138299780603/

Also some Delphins, Konigs, Iltis and Zimple

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Can you tell me please, if you know, whether the 4 cylinder motor pictured was ever raced at Holmes-Pierpoint at Nottingham, England at the races held at the rowing stadium. My wife and I attended a race there in the mid 1980's where several American drivers attended, and I seem to remember this motor, or another like it on a boat in the pit area. I did think that mortor was a 500, but not for sure about that. It was the first and last time I ever saw separate cylinders on what I thought at first was a Konig,( but quickly determined it was not because of the separate cylinders.)

I did a double take when I first saw it and looked for it on the race course, but do not remember now whether it was successful or not. The only other Konig I ever saw with separate cylinders except for the first ones imported into the US, was the 250, two cyl opposed engine later than this trip.

Mark75H
01-03-2014, 09:15 PM
I do not know. I have seen another separate cylinder Konig clone made in Sweden or Norway, so its not the only one

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-03-2014, 10:36 PM
I do not know. I have seen another separate cylinder Konig clone made in Sweden or Norway, so its not the only one

Been thinking about this some and I seem to remember the motor in question was on an Italian boat. Might have been a one off someone made from a Konig crankcase that the original cyls had been removed and the others put on. Unlike the modern GRM and VRP motors of today they looked like the ones in the photo, i.s square.

I may have some photos from that trip. It was memorable for several reasons as Eileen and I were fortunate enough to ride the Concorde to London from NY.

PeterW
04-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Sorry ... I found you post yesterday. I'm not sure that you have further interest in the histoy of the engines!? I can give you some more detailed informations because my father and me build up this 4 cylinders 350ccm engine.

Mark75H
04-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Certainly. Please add whatever you can.