PDA

View Full Version : 2004 merc stock reeds

Lineman2002
02-20-2014, 12:50 PM
I've heard different opinions on this from folks here in arkansas which is better and why when talkin about stock reeds vs carbon reeds I've heard that u can't beat hydrotech reeds but not sure

MWhite
02-20-2014, 05:18 PM
I've heard different opinions on this from folks here in arkansas which is better and why when talkin about stock reeds vs carbon reeds I've heard that u can't beat hydrotech reeds but not sure
In my opinion the stock metal reeds work the best over carbon reeds, but there not very user friendly when one brakes and it gos in the engine,and tears up things vs the carbon reeds if it brakes it just past through r gets smashed and doesn't hurt the motor, the hydrotect reeds work well and so does the boysens, just my thoughts.

Lineman2002
02-20-2014, 05:26 PM
In my opinion the stock metal reeds work the best over carbon reeds, but there not very user friendly when one brakes and it gos in the engine,and tears up things vs the carbon reeds if it brakes it just past through r gets smashed and doesn't hurt the motor, the hydrotect reeds work well and so does the boysens, just my thoughts.

That's what I have heard that the stock reeds perform the best But I'm not mercury guru I guess it would best to put carbon reeds in my new motor I'm havin built

atgill
02-21-2014, 03:59 AM
I just put Boysen reeds and 50hp carbs on my engine, it does run better, Idle smoother, got about 3 mph faster.
But my boat is the rivertrail 100 guage with all the floors,sides ect..kinda heavy, factory sprayed in liner, all my crappie stuff. NOT a rocket !!
These guys here can make one haul a** on the right hull

Lineman2002
02-21-2014, 04:46 AM
Just to tell u alittle about this motor is 2004 40hp merc 3cyl it's got the 60hp upgrades ported and balanced and blueprinted also a exhuast tuner it's gettin built now and mechanic said he was gonna use the stock reeds bc they perform very well in thes motors

Cajun Special
03-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Who did your motor work?

Lineman2002
03-03-2014, 08:41 PM
If this is the guy thinking it is he's the same one that built yours I'll PM u my number

fs5
03-04-2014, 12:30 AM
I used to run boysen reeds in my merc about 12 years ago and pulled the best topend speeds I have,but..
I sold my slt boat and bought a v bottom 4m quintrex hornet about a 120kg and not very long after getting the new hull the motor was pretty much impossible to start and when it did it went like sh$t off a shovel.the reeds were fried spitting fuel back out the carbs...the reeds had little holes in the tips after removing them.after fitting new metal oem merc reeds I lost 2mph genuine on the gps same prop same load..
I havn't back to back tested metal reeds with the glass or carbon though.
nowdays I run the hydro tech carbon reeds,i'm real happy with them.

tyst67
03-04-2014, 08:05 PM
5653556536 fs5 here are the pictures i tried to send you but they wouldnt send. is every 60hp restricted like this and do you guys port this extra material away for better flow?

fs5
03-04-2014, 11:26 PM
I couldn't get your pics to open mate.
I just had a crack at porting a reed block wether or not it works I dunno.going to bolt it on this week and hopefully give it a run on the weekend.

tyst67
03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
can you see the pictures now?

fs5
03-05-2014, 01:51 PM
yeah mate now I can.some guys run 3 gaskets to spred them apart a bit,some have a small spacer plate up also.
I don't think mine is as restrictive as yours though.
you would think porting that would have to help some forsure.

tyst67
03-05-2014, 02:32 PM
yeah mate now I can.some guys run 3 gaskets to spred them apart a bit,some have a small spacer plate up also.
I don't think mine is as restrictive as yours though.
you would think porting that would have to help some forsure.

I ported my stock intake but this is a intake from a motor like yours. my intake is only single carburetor and i am making a custom intake and running twin carbs. but in order this to work i will have to port the hell out of it!