PDA

View Full Version : Who knows this World Champion boat?

turbine
10-12-2005, 03:08 AM
http://www.powerboatracing.de/eng/sonst/

On the link above you see my boat. Somebody told me, that this is the Formula ON (F2) winning boat from 1982-1984 from german driver Michael Werner. I need some more information, race results, what engine, old photos aso. Who can help me? :p

paul jillings
10-12-2005, 03:18 AM
The driver would probably be Michael Werner..........

Try also the www.f2boat.com site as I think he is a member or has contacts there.

Miss BK
10-12-2005, 07:44 AM
My guess would be Michael Werner too.

The website above belongs to Frode Sunsdal. He still does projects with Michael Werner ( http://212.125.209.209/kunder/f2boat/visartikkel.asp?id=477 ) , so he'd be able to answer your questions:
frode@f1boat.no

You might just find a picture of your boat on the wall here: ;)
http://212.125.209.209/kunder/f2boat/visartikkel.asp?id=356

Master Oil Racing Team
10-12-2005, 07:48 AM
That's the only German boat racer I know named Michael.

mintominto
10-13-2005, 09:59 AM
This boat certainly never won the F2 world title during those dates. Michael Werner used Seebold hulls to win championships in 1982 and 1983 with John Hill taking the title in 1984 and 1985.

This is the boat that won in 1983

paul jillings
10-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Could be an OE boat from that era?

turbine
10-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Could be an OE boat from that era?

watch this:
http://www.uimnew.sportcentric.com/vsite/vcontent/page/custom/0,8510,4916-152176-169392-32392-135950-custom-item,00.html

1.FONDA :
1981 WILLIAMS Tony GREAT BRITAIN 1982 WERNER Michael GERMANY
2.FORMULA GRAND PRIX:
1983 WERNER Michael. 1984 HILL John GREAT BRITAIN
3. CLASS O.2000 1980 MOLINARI Renato ITALY 1981 SEEBOLD Bill y USA
1982 WERNER Michael GERMANY 1983 WERNER Michael GERMANY
1984 WERNER Michael GERMANY

You see the problem: The name comes up in different classes and I still don´t know where my boot comes from.

Mike Ward
10-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Michael Werner raced a OE/F3 craft built in England by Dave Burgess and powered by a specially modified Mercury outboard, possibly the lower half of a model 6C. He won the UIM World Championship at Brodenbach, Germany in 1977 ( I was there).

This boat is not that Burgess!

A German called Herman Gruber raced a Liqui Moly sponsored 2 litre craft in the early 1980's, but the cowling and paint job is different to the one in the pic.

turbine
10-17-2005, 03:47 PM
This boat is not that Burgess!
A German called Herman Gruber raced a Liqui Moly sponsored 2 litre craft in the early 1980's, but the cowling and paint job is different to the one in the pic.

The boat is a MOLINARI. Built at Renato Molinari factory at Como sea Italy. He was a famous race driver too - this boat is not a Burgess or Seebold! An old race driver from the early 80īs told me, that this is a ON boat powered by Mercury 2 liter engine at that time. But everything is still not sure, I need photo and raceresults:D

mintominto
11-11-2005, 07:48 AM
I took this pic in Belguim around 1980, the white Merc powered boat in the background is Michael Werner. It's definitely an OE but still can't be sure if it is the boat in question.

turbine
11-11-2005, 08:37 AM
I took this pic in Belguim around 1980, the white Merc powered boat in the background is Michael Werner. It's definitely an OE but still can't be sure if it is the boat in question.
The boat has the size 4,65 m long and 2,03 m wide, perhaps this helps?:D

turbine
12-13-2005, 12:57 PM
After 2,5 months of hunting hours and hours in the internet, many forum pages und 100 emails, I finaly got the answer yesterday from the original first owner.

This boat is a Formel 3 (old OE class) Molinari boat from 1978, that was powered by 3 piston Mercury 817 ccm engine with 138 hp at 9,400 rpm and a top speed of 101 mp/h. Now the hunting for the missing parts begins!
Thank you all fpr helping me. Greatings from Germany, where the weather is almost ****:confused:

J.Lyder von Tangen
01-03-2006, 12:27 AM
http://www.powerboatracing.de/eng/sonst/

On the link above you see my boat. Somebody told me, that this is the Formula ON (F2) winning boat from 1982-1984 from german driver Michael Werner. I need some more information, race results, what engine, old photos aso. Who can help me? :p

I am certain this is a ON class boat, no wonder the resultlist makes confusion,
Fonda stood for FOrmulaONDriversAssociation, Grand Prix was as series, still the class was UIM ON, maximum two litres engines. Good idea to cnct Frode Sundsdal as he works with Mikael Werner.
Nice boat that is for sure, what kind of plans to you have for the boat ??

J.Lyder von Tangen
01-03-2006, 12:31 AM
I am certain this is a ON class boat, no wonder the resultlist makes confusion,
Fonda stood for FOrmulaONDriversAssociation, Grand Prix was as series, still the class was UIM ON, maximum two litres engines. Good idea to cnct Frode Sundsdal as he works with Mikael Werner.
Nice boat that is for sure, what kind of plans to you have for the boat ??

Sorry was most likely wrong abt. the class, original picture makes the boat look much longer than the measuremnts given for OE class, anyway glad the the boat was finally identifyed !!!

turbine
01-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Nice boat that is for sure, what kind of plans to you have for the boat ?? I try to rebuild the boat back to the water where it belongs. But it is only a naked body, everthing is missing (gastank, engine, steering system aso.) Only a hand full of this OE boats a built from Roberto Molinari Italy and I found out, that it is nearly unpossible to get any spareparts. I give up the idea to make it original "vintage" and started hunting old and new parts at ebay and shops to make the boat ready for register at normal water boat, with a waterstreet legal stock engine w/o racing noise. There is no race class in Europe where you can still use this boat, but I try to drive it full legal at river Rhine in Germany at high speed. There are some collectors in the US and vintage clubs, if anybody wants to buy it, no problem. But to ship this boat to the US will be very very expensive.

J.Lyder von Tangen
01-03-2006, 05:37 AM
I try to rebuild the boat back to the water where it belongs. But it is only a naked body, everthing is missing (gastank, engine, steering system aso.) Only a hand full of this OE boats a built from Roberto Molinari Italy and I found out, that it is nearly unpossible to get any spareparts. I give up the idea to make it original "vintage" and started hunting old and new parts at ebay and shops to make the boat ready for register at normal water boat, with a waterstreet legal stock engine w/o racing noise. There is no race class in Europe where you can still use this boat, but I try to drive it full legal at river Rhine in Germany at high speed. There are some collectors in the US and vintage clubs, if anybody wants to buy it, no problem. But to ship this boat to the US will be very very expensive.

Hi Willi !
I know it is hard to get the parts and the original engine, however it would be a pity to put on the std. rig as this most likely will mess with the performance/handling of the boat. I know they are racing vintage boats in Sweden (30years and older) so so far this boat is too "new" at the moment. If you consider selling what will you ask for it ?
brgrds
Lyder

turbine
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
I know it is hard to get the parts and the original engine,........boats in Sweden (30years and older) so so far this boat is too "new"... selling what will you ask for it? The original engine was offered to me, but the asking price was a bad joke.... much to much and not complet. AND YES, with "only" 28 years old the boat is too "new" for being real vintage. The old pure wood boats like 60`th RIVA or Chriscraft are the collector items, this boat has a wood body (bootbau sperrholz) and fibre topcover. The value right now with all technical and engine parts missing and no work done on paint and body would be in the 1,500-2,000 US$ range. In 1978 is was 20,000 US$, VERY MUCH money at that time!!!!