PDA

View Full Version : Large taper vs. Small taper

GHMiller
04-19-2014, 04:24 AM
I'm going to ask what may seem to be a silly question to some, but........

Is there a measurement to tell the difference between a large taper and a small taper on the crankshaft of a 44ci mercury?

I'm in need of another flywheel for my mod motor and I'm unsure of exactly which crankshaft that I have. My current flywheel is of the old style, with the one piece, single cast hub. I would like to get a new style with the two part hub/ring gear. I know that the old style came in both small and large taper and the new style is large taper only, thus my question.
Thanks everyone for your input,

If anyone has a flywheel hub for sale please let me know.

zul8tr
04-19-2014, 06:22 AM
I'm going to ask what may seem to be a silly question to some, but........

Is there a measurement to tell the difference between a large taper and a small taper on the crankshaft of a 44ci mercury?

I'm in need of another flywheel for my mod motor and I'm unsure of exactly which crankshaft that I have. My current flywheel is of the old style, with the one piece, single cast hub. I would like to get a new style with the two part hub/ring gear. I know that the old style came in both small and large taper and the new style is large taper only, thus my question.
Thanks everyone for your input,

If anyone has a flywheel hub for sale please let me know.

Ask Jerry Wienandt Merc 44 expert, raced them, built them and knows them in and out, he would know and might have the part. I have purchased stuff from him and given much useful advise.

TridentRacing@new.rr.com

Aeroliner
04-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Hi Gerald,
I have both types and I will go out in the shop and take a photo and get the measurement for you. The small taper crank has a step to the upper bearing diameter while the large taper blend into the bearing diameter.

Alan

Aeroliner
04-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Here are a couple photos of the cranks and a 30-H and a 55-H flywheel. The small taper is under 1 " and the large on is about 1.125 inches. If you have a 44 and the original crank you will have a large taper. Small taper cranks were on early 40 inch engines and the first run of 30-H engines.

Hope this helps.

Alan

GHMiller
04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks to all that have replied. Alan thank you, for some reason I was thinking that the early 44's had both. My mistake, thanks for putting me back on track. I need a flywheel and would prefer the newer style with the two part hub. Thanks,