PDA

View Full Version : 12" inch mid adapters

jim
06-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Is anyone aware of or know if it's possible to adapt a v4 omc or yamaha to a mercury 12" champ mid?

hydroplay
06-08-2014, 05:32 AM
If the Arcadian guys could adapt 2 Merc V-6 powerheads to a champ mid-section, putting an offbrand V-4 on one should be doable.

Ron Hill
06-09-2014, 07:33 PM
But the Arcadian Guys (James Findley Hauenstein), had is brother Fred Hauenstein, Jr.s helping on the "Wizard....How is it, I don't know Freddy's middle name???

hydroplay
06-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Fred certainly did the engineering of the project, but I like to think that Bill Chatfield did the mechanical work and made the Wizard a reality. A bunch of us took a side trip to Bill's shop one day when we got blown out racing at Dayton and were amazed at the basic pieces of it. It really should be in a museum somewhere!

I also think Brian Daily first used a Merc mid and gearcase on the Yamaha V-6 champ motor until some legal issues forced Yamaha to make their copies. So if the Yamaha V-6 could adapt, so could a V-4

Ron Hill
06-10-2014, 03:38 PM
In the OLD DAYS, (1960-70)...we'd leave LA (SoCal) and head to NorCal for races, Fred's Cafe and truck stop was about 180 miles from SoCal. We'd make it to Kingsburg and sleep in the truck stop parking lot.

In the morning we'd "gas up" (2 Cent per gallon trucker's discount). Then, we'd head to the races. I remember at 1962, Talking to Freddy in the morning as I was heading to Modesto. Freddy had his Quincy "D" motor apart...in many pieces as I left for Modesto.

Freddy said as we left, "See you tomorrow mat Modesto." My thoughts were///if he gets that motor together, it will never run.

Fred showed up at Modesto and won every heat he entered. After that, I had a different view of Fred Hauenstein, Jr.

Ron Hill
06-10-2014, 03:57 PM
I have to admit, "ARCADIAN GUYS", I wasn't thinking Bill Chattfield. Bill Chattfield should have his own thread here, but I don't know enough about him to start one.

I know that all the Yamaha Race V-6 stuff was made by Ted Zahorski, most part were made in his garage.

I guess, I never realized how Mercury's legal team "RUBBED" out Yamaha, butg I should have know. Business is business.

Bt, two powerheads on one mid section should be a "PIECE OF CAKE".