PDA

View Full Version : Lower unit Chipping

lilwhirlwind
12-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Got a lower from a friend. Has LWP that was put on by him. I asked him what type of paint did he have on it, he said it wasnt paint.. it was west system epoxy, But the stuff is tan. Its chipping on the skeg just a little. West system epoxy is clear right? i mean this stuff is a solid tan.

Any suggestions?

Tiller guy
12-11-2014, 06:37 PM
I just finished repairing my yamaha cowling with the west system epoxy and yes it's clear, but the hardener has a brown color.

champ20B
12-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Got a lower from a friend. Has LWP that was put on by him. I asked him what type of paint did he have on it, he said it wasnt paint.. it was west system epoxy, But the stuff is tan. Its chipping on the skeg just a little. West system epoxy is clear right? i mean this stuff is a solid tan.

Any suggestions?

It probably has pigment mixed in. You can buy pigment and metalflake to add to resin. For instance, gelcoat that is used as the finish on fiberglass boats is nothing but fiberglass resin hardened with methyl ethyl ketone, and pigment added for color. The epoxy (if its a two part system as such) can be done the same way likely.

Fastjeff57
12-12-2014, 04:41 AM
One would suspect the epoxy had an inert filler in it, to make it a proper fairing material. If so, it would no longer be clear.

Jeff

Steve Litzell
12-12-2014, 05:08 AM
No not really, West System has a amber color to it with the normal hardner. They make a clearcoat hardner as well but it is said to not be for construction, only top coat. I think the clear hardner number is 205, but you can check that out on their website. Steve

Aeroliner
12-12-2014, 02:34 PM
West also produce several fillers to use with their epoxy. I have used their structural filler and when you mix it you will find that it is light tan even though the powder is white. They also have a mahogany colored filler which comes out light brown.

Alan

Fastjeff57
12-13-2014, 06:02 AM
There you go. Unlikely anyone would try to mold and fill (fair) with pure liquid epoxy.

Jeff

lilwhirlwind
12-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Thank you..

Now for the mother of all questions... I need a nitro lower gear case housing loll