PDA

View Full Version : Ques. on very old Konigs

smittythewelder
01-22-2015, 11:35 AM
For Steve Litzell, or anyone who ever saw the insides of the old 2-cylinder Konig FB/FC/FD series. These engines had a two-piece crankshaft center section so that the two one-piece rotary valves could be slipped on (also the main bearing) before the two crankshaft halves were assembled into the middle section of the crankshaft, and held together with a bolt. Looked kind of marginal, but it worked. Even at the low (by today's standards) rpm that they ran, anything that could stand up to the pounding of the D Alky version could hardly be called a marginal design!!

What I want to know is the engineering name for that joint in the middle of the crank. And anything else you care to tell me about it. Oh, and whether you know of any photos of one of those engines, disassembled.

Steve Litzell
01-22-2015, 05:17 PM
These crank centers had teeth on the center and mating part to keep them from slipping. Bolt just held them together. These teeth were cut so they would take the load. In a alternating fire motor, they did not have the loads that a four cylinder had nor the twisting moments. For your information, The Quincy z type motors had the same principal only the centers were taper splines. The splines had twelve splines each so you could index them how you wanted, such as the three cylinder B and C they made. Steve

smittythewelder
01-22-2015, 11:10 PM
I know what the Konig crank looked like disassembled, and in fact assembled one using the special allen wrench that Konig made and sold for that task (still have it). But there is a name for that joint, which I was told and have forgotten.

I never saw a Quincy Z apart or assembled. I assume the crank half with the female splines had an open, not a blind end, and that they broached those female splines (?). Did the crank halves bolt together like that Konig crank?

Steve Litzell
01-23-2015, 02:00 AM
I know what the Konig crank looked like disassembled, and in fact assembled one using the special allen wrench that Konig made and sold for that task (still have it). But there is a name for that joint, which I was told and have forgotten.

I never saw a Quincy Z apart or assembled. I assume the crank half with the female splines had an open, not a blind end, and that they broached those female splines (?). Did the crank halves bolt together like that Konig crank?

No Smitty, One half had taper female splines all the way through and other part was solid kinda like a axle shaft. When put together the hole was filled. These cranks were from 70's type RD Yamaha motors

wolfgang
01-23-2015, 03:55 AM
Gentlemen,
there was (still is) just one company in Germany which makes and used to make (e.g. post-war Mercedes 8il racecars, which had roller-bearing cranks, certain Koenig cranks also for the 500cc 4-cyl world-record motor for Rolf Goetze, aircraft engines - whole and components therefore, Porsche Carrera 4-cyl four cam motors) cranks with tapered splines perpendicular to the CL. Name of company is HIRTH. Hence the spline arrangement is called Hirth-Verzahnung. Yes, you need a special spanner to assemble the crank throws. The pitches of the male and female threads were slightly different (Differential-Gewinde), so that the lot cannot shake itself apart.
I think I have a cross-sectional drawing of that 2-cyl rotary valve cross-flow Koenig block at home. Will have a look tonight, scan and post. Rgds, Wolfgang (engine builder apprenticeship in the mid-60s of the previous century)

smittythewelder
01-23-2015, 08:55 AM
So, no bolt, Steve? What then, pressed after being assembled into the case center-section?

Wolfgang, I wouldn't have thought of the shallow radially-arrayed teeth comprising the Konig joint as "splines," but it appears we are talking about the same thing. So that is a Hirth-Verzahnung joint, yes? I'll try googling that, and see if I get any hits.

(EDIT) Yep, that's it. First row of images on Google, and Wikipedia has an article. Thanks fellas. (Looks like a PITA for an amateur to machine).

Gene East
01-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Gentlemen,
there was (still is) just one company in Germany which makes and used to make (e.g. post-war Mercedes 8il racecars, which had roller-bearing cranks, certain Koenig cranks also for the 500cc 4-cyl world-record motor for Rolf Goetze, aircraft engines - whole and components therefore, Porsche Carrera 4-cyl four cam motors) cranks with tapered splines perpendicular to the CL. Name of company is HIRTH. Hence the spline arrangement is called Hirth-Verzahnung. Yes, you need a special spanner to assemble the crank throws. The pitches of the male and female threads were slightly different (Differential-Gewinde), so that the lot cannot shake itself apart.
I think I have a cross-sectional drawing of that 2-cyl rotary valve cross-flow Koenig block at home. Will have a look tonight, scan and post. Rgds, Wolfgang (engine builder apprenticeship in the mid-60s of the previous century)

Konig V Koenig? I have maintained for over 50 years that I saw the name Koenig cast on the crank plate of the first German outboard I ever saw. I've basically been told all these years I was FOS.

Someone please tell me was the name ever spelled with an e?? I understand umlat. Let's not go there.

If I am FOS, I'm sure someone has some castor oil available.

Ron Hill
01-23-2015, 08:08 PM
Konig V Koenig? I have maintained for over 50 years that I saw the name Koenig cast on the crank plate of the first German outboard I ever saw. I've basically been told all these years I was FOS.

Someone please tell me was the name ever spelled with an e?? I understand umlat. Let's not go there.

If I am FOS, I'm sure someone has some castor oil available.

I wasn't much of a student as a kid, I spelled "EGG", "AEG". My mom could spell ever work in the dictionary, upside down and backward. Then, as a teacher for 38 years, I saw every word in the entire world spelled wrong some many times, I often thought I was wrong.

To this day I spell Koenig...then I check via Google, and it shows Konig. The first Koenigs/Konigs I ever saw were Marcel Bellville's when he moved to California from Canada.

I think the crank plates said "KOENIG". Somewhere I have Marcel's phone number. FYI: Marcel's daughter graduatd FSU and is now a Captain for Delta Airlines.

I should add: I never was much of a student....when you could drin and chase women, why would you study?

Fastjeff57
01-24-2015, 04:22 AM
In German, Koenig is spell Koning (but with an umlaut over the 'O').

Jeff

Steve Litzell
01-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Smitty, Gene, Ron and Jeff, First off thanks to Wolfgang on the name that I forgot. Smitty, Yes the crank centers are just pressed together. Gene and Ron, The Name Konig has two umlats over the O giving it a er sound such as Ker-Nig. The name means King. The name Koenig is different and pronounced like we say Konig. These two name Konig and Koenig are kinda Like Smith and Smyth. Dieters last name was Konig, and if parts were marked wrong that was because of someone at the manufacturing place that misspelled it. Also the name Koenig is used in different areas for Germany as there are different dialects there. Jeff you are are off as the name Koning has a ing sound and is totally wrong. Your way of saying that is Kon- ing. This name to was used to name Konig motors by Americans mostly from the MidWest, Took Me several years to Get Ed Thirlby to say it like Americans do with Konig. But when the Konny motors came about you could not understand the difference between the two when he said it. His son Mike however, I have taught him to say Ker-nig for The German motor and Konny for the Czech motor. Anouther thing to is as people moved here from Europe, they either changed the way to say their last name by the spelling or the easy way to make the sound. Hell it took a whole Bottle of Opshlaw (SP) and Krage teaching me to say that word. That's another good name, Krage, Some say it like Craig with sometime a a at the end, Craiga, Others say it like Crage, The way Hans said it was Kra like craw and then ga, sounds like Duh with a G. Krage. Steve

smittythewelder
01-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Bravo, sir; you have surpassed yourself! Steve Litzell for Minister of Culture!!!

(. . . although I think maybe Dieter's name could be rendered slightly closer yet as "Ker-nik", soft k at the end, almost a ch . . . where's Wolfgang?).

Ron Hill
01-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Hill is a pretty good name, but add an "E" where the "I" is and it sounds like hell. Bottom Line, does anyone have a picture of an early Konig or Koenig crank plate that were were discussing. As I still feel I saw Koenig cast on a crank plate and that is why for many years I spelled Konig , Koenig.

I mean, I know people from OHIO who say AHIA for O HI O....

wolfgang
01-24-2015, 10:53 PM
Hill is a pretty good name, but add an "E" where the "I" is and it sound like hell. Bottom Line, does anyone have a picture of an early Konig or Koenig crank plate that were were discussing. As I still feel I saw Koenig cast on a crank plate and that is why for many years I spelled Konig , Koenig.

I mean, I know peop from OHIO who say AHIA for O HI O....

Now from South Africa: Well, took a look yesterday at a couple dozen motors in a private collection (what a treasure chest!). One of the motors is in fact a `50s 250cc two-cylinder of the type we are discussing here. However, I did not take a photo specifically of the nameplate on the flywheel. (I was so occupied with the treasures, I plain forgot our discussion here, and I was on my way to make arrangements to buy a modified STV to join the local racing fraternity - will be inspecting that boat in some two hours).
Will try and send photos of the Koenig motor tomorrow, as well as of the a.m. drawing which I found, plus data sheet off following page in my book Ulrich Huetten (Umlaut) "Schnelle Motoren Seziert und Frisiert" 4th Edition 1963. The author was a racing engineer for Shell, and really got around (as per my bosses at the time, who both raced two-stroke motorcycles and outboards). Unfortunately no ISBN number for the book.
To resolve the name conundrum: it is Konig, but with the two dots above the o, making it the dreaded Umlaut.
Rgds, Wolfgang

Ron Hill
01-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Marcel's English was more FRENCH than English. Marcel pronounced Koenig/Konig as COO NIG....

Marcel lived in Canada. He looked at a map and saw how many races were in California, and he just moved here. Crazy guy. He built Jimmy Hauenstein's 8 engine Unlimited in a building that I drew the plans for when I was a senior in high school..

wolfgang
01-25-2015, 12:46 AM
[ATTACH]59171

Koenig ad, showing correct spelling of name - o Umlaut. Source: somewhere on BRF

Rgds, Wolfgang

wolfgang
01-25-2015, 06:35 AM
Hi all,
attached pictures of the 50s Koenig from the treasure chest I visited yesterday. I am by no means a Koenig expert, but I think, this might be the type motor you are talking about. Most amazing of all, it can be turned over, rings appear to be free and has what appears to be an original Koenig lower unit[ATTACH]59172[ATTACH]59173[ATTACH]59174.
Otherwise, motor seems to be complete. Trying to find the exhaust system. Motor may be for sale.

Steve Litzell
01-25-2015, 07:38 AM
I'm Surprised to see it has the early type cylinders that are of deflector design. This is a single carb B and I thought all of those were loop charge. In USA many motors were changed to loop charge. Erlay types of this motor had two Carbs, I think I have new a meg exhaust system for one of these. Steve

wolfgang
01-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi Steve,
yes, it does have deflector pistons in (it`s so basic, it seems like a close relative to the "paddle boat motor" discussed elsewhere herein). We`ll get more clarity tomorrow when I blow up and scan the sectional drawing. We are still trying to locate the exhaust system from the previous owner. If my memory serves me right, these motors had a "can-type" system. The square (rectangular) to round exhaust transition pieces look very restrictive (homemade?). We do not know what bore the motor has, but are loathe to take off the head. What price might achievable for a motor like this? Rgds, W

smittythewelder
01-25-2015, 10:31 AM
That engine has been altered from original. You have half of an old motor and half of a newer one.

The rear half of this engine is a class B (322cc in USA, but maybe bored to 350cc for racers elsewhere), and there was a 500cc Class C triple with three of those barrels stacked up (that's the motor in the sales brochure; note the open exhaust, no pipes at all).
These were crossflow motors with deflector pistons, whereas the FB/FC/FD twins I was asking about at the start of this thread were loop-scavenged, and came along a few years later. The B and C deflector engines had one rotary valve and carburetor per cylinder, either 25mm slide-valve Bings, or Konigs own carbs, 25-28mm, I forget. By comparison, the FB/C/D twins had only one carb (Konig 32mm) feeding into the center section of the crankcase, controlled by two rotary valves above and below the carb entry.

The engine in the photos is a conglomeration of older and newer versions: Old mid-'50s crossflow head and cylinders bolted uneasily (there are unused bolt holes half-hidden under those aluminum straps in the center) to an early-'60s FB/C/D crankcase and crankshaft, and carb. It would work fine (although those holddowns aren't the greatest), but I think it wouldn't have much collector value unless somebody needed those parts to complete other motors. Also, that one stub for an exhaust pipe is not original, though owners did add them later, and Konig added megaphones to this engine by the end of the production run.

Once the FB/C/D series came out, I think those Konig deflectors were abandoned pretty quickly. Outfits like Quincy and Hubbell were getting better at modifying Mercurys, John Alden was building fast Hot Rods, and Tenney was selling converted Anzanis. The only one of these B Konig deflector motors I saw raced belonged to JDub's grandpa, Bill Myers; he ran it for a year before son John set him up with a looper.

Oh, and I don't think any of the old deflector B's came on a tube-type of towerhousing, but were sold with a rather graceful-looking cast towerhousing that was used with the quiet, stock versions of the same engine. Possibly the last of the deflectors were sold with a tube towerhousing.

Post a photo of the lower unit (should be 1:1 gearing) and we can give you a rough idea of the age.

Since it's a mongrel, but a perfectly good motor, why not take it apart, clean it up, and run it? It's very remotely possible that you could buy or trade for the parts to build an original deflector B and/or an original FB. And while it isn't even close to being "factory-correct," as most restorers want, it is certainly a legitimate example of the kind of modifications that racers have always done.

(EDIT) Paul Christner's Looper site has a lot of great photos of racemotor collections. Take a look at the "Bob Dunlap collection" for a late deflector B, supposedly as-delivered from Konig. It does have stacks, but unfortunately was only photographed from one side, so we can't count carburetors. But I can see from your photos, Wolfgang, that your motor has parts from different eras, and that when you un-bolt the cylinders you will find un-used holes for hold-down bolts. Also on Christner's site, look at "A Florida Collection" for a couple of shots of a Konig FC, which has a crankcase similar (not identical) to the FB case on your motor.

ProHydroRacer
01-25-2015, 10:58 AM
My first race engine was the Konig FB 2 cylinders with one carb, two rotary valves, and 2 open megaphone exhaust pipes, the year 1966 or 1967. Converted later to a B loop-scavenged, and later still, to a FC with a hell of a lot of punch!

smittythewelder
01-25-2015, 11:15 AM
But the FB was already loop-scavenged. Like the earlier deflector engines, it had separate cast iron cylinders (whereas the FC and FB had aluminum monoblock cylinders), but it had modern pistons and heads. Konig sold them with sort of weird looking megaphones that swooped out and aft, one on each side. Toward the end of the production run, he was selling the FB with a quiet, can-type exhaust.

(EDIT) There's a typo up there; I meant to say the FC and FD had monoblock cylinders.

lcp
01-25-2015, 11:43 AM
wolfgang, its look like 1975 B konig to me. let me know if you willing to parts out the lower unit. wirawira100@hotmail.com

smittythewelder
01-25-2015, 11:50 AM
Head and cylinders are from maybe 1954-1959. Crankcase from roughly 1960-66.

FWIW, Turner used to make replacement pistons for the deflector motor.

wolfgang
01-26-2015, 11:03 PM
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me. Motor will be sold complete - no parting out. Buyer will pay transport costs from South Africa (to be determined). Any offers? (wbarthel@tubular.co.za / topeer@rutherford.co.za)

smittythewelder
01-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Hang on, Wolfgang. Let's see if we can get "Mk75H" Sam Cullis to check in on this. He seems to know more about it than anyone. He might even give you an idea of what price you could ask.

(EDIT) Wolfgang, did you notice that there is a several-page thread on this site with stories and photos of South African racers? Scroll down the sub-forums to Outboard Racing History and take a look. There might even be someone there who remembers your motor.

Steve Litzell
01-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Sorry Smitty, but you are a little off on this. The first type B two cylinder had two carburetors as stated and also had deflector cylinders. The later type B had one central mount carburetor as stated but also they too had some deflector type cylinders used. Konig used all parts before introducing new to the market. When these older parts were gone then the new ones were used the very next week. This is how when you ordered a new motor, and thought you were good, then next race someone else had a newer type motor. This motor above is one of these. The tie bar between the cylinders is factory. The B motors always had individual cylinders until the Vb came out. There are some 1967 FB type B motors around and 1967 was the first year for the 4 cylinder. The C was also sold as a FC or Vc in about 64 or 65, again to get rid of all old parts, Same for later with the FA and Va. The cast together cylinders that you may be thinking of are FA cylinders as The FA was the first and only at the time Loop motor and shared many parts till the end of the FA series with the very first one from about 1948 or 49. The racing or Alky motors all had stick towers as well. Early type had normal clamps like a Mercury and later had the Konig type we still use. The cast towers are from the Stock racing models both B and C. Bore of the B motor is 57 mm for Wolfgang. You must also remember that motors had to be approved by the racing commission for use. With this in mind motors that were new had to be approved but new bolt on parts did not as they were called superseded parts. So that is why you will find early B two carb motors with loop cylinders. Hope this helps Steve

Gene East
01-28-2015, 03:34 AM
Steve, Don't you ever sleep?? I'm going back to bed!Yes I know we're in different time zones.Happy Wednesday!

wolfgang
01-28-2015, 04:53 AM
Forensic engineering - interesting. Let me add some: we finally managed to get the book-pages enlarged and scanned. The first drawing shows the then Koenig "fishing" motor. Cross-flow design, on rotary valve per cylinder, turning with the crank and located under the lower crank disc of each cylinder - one carb per cylinder. In the middle of the crank visible the Hirth-spline arrangement, and (not so nicely visible) that bolt which ties the two crank-halves together. The next scanned item is a comparison table of the early (50s ?) small Koenig race motors 175 cc and 250 cc. The 3rd scanned item is a drawing and description of the Rolf Goetze world record motor, which was assembled largely from Koenig based components. Interesting the cylinder arrangement. That would have been early 60s, I think. Rolf Goetze was a giant in the European power boating world, to his untimely and tragic death in an airplane accident returning from a world record attempt in Northern Italy. Must do some research.591875918859189 Wolfgang

smittythewelder
01-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Steve, if you look, I did leave open the possibility that you affirm, that when the deflector motor production run was ending and the F-series run was beginning, that the factory was putting deflector powerheads on tube towerhousings. But the crankcase? Looking closely at the photos, maybe it's my imagination but I think I can see the edge of an unused bolt hole under that aluminum tie-bar. Seems like a home-brewed lash-up to me; did Dieter really do that?? Pretty crude. The FB cylinders had tie-bars of a sort, but the flanges were much closer together (still seems a crappy set-up to hang those heavy iron cylinders individually, with thick, squishy base gaskets and aluminum tie-bars, on an aluminum crankcase).

I did know the FB motors had individual cylinders; I made a typo above (now fixed), and meant to say that the FC and FD were monoblock engines. I raced FAs, and have some FB and FC parts.

Sorry if I gave you bum information, Wolfgang. It was to cover that possibility that I PM'ed Sam Cullis yesterday to come here and take a look. Looks like Steve has saved the day, and the originality of your engine. Good deal.

smittythewelder
01-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Steve, do you know the years of first introduction, and the years production ended, for the various Konig types. I had to say "roughly" when I guessed at the years for the deflectors and F-series. I'm surprised at your saying the loop-scavenged A motors began life in the late-'40s. I have a 1957 issue of Boat Sport with a good article and internal blow-up drawings of the FA, . . . which they describe as a "new" engine . . . ??

The magazine motor looks about like the FAs did for another ten years, except the little slide type Bings were mounted vertically, it had megaphones pointing straight out sideways (I had the skinny bounce-pipes), and it had the gear-driven Bosch mag that was on all the 2-cyl. Konigs until about '65 or so, when he began using that nifty energy-transfer flywheel mag.

I remember very well about the APBA "approving" specific motors. My back hurts thinking about helping lift-start a heavy DeSilva and a heavy driver, and a twin-Anzani "D" (two B's on a gearbox) engine that was built by Hallum and Anderson specifically for the 1968 NOA Nationals, because the NOA allowed it. In maybe 1970-71, when some in Reg. 10, and surely in other regions, wanted to adapt motorcycle powerheads to raceboat use, I wrote an essay on the idea and mailed it to the PRO (then "Outboard") commissioners. I suggested it was time to stop "approving" engines and just leave this open, and to switch from cubic inch designations to cc's, which by that point had become familiar to everybody because of motorcycles. Whether my letter had any effect on getting things changed, I don't know, because I gather that people around the country were starting to agitate for this. Maybe some of you.

Seagull 170
01-28-2015, 10:52 AM
I have one exactly the same as these pictures, deflector, crankcase stamped 322, no signs of extra holes under tie bar, single carb, there are pictures on here from 2009 see thread "Konig - know what this is?" .

Steve Litzell
01-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Gene, My feet hit the floor for work @ 3:30AM, at my work by 4:30, Just like you when you worked. Smitty the first that i know of B was around 52 I think. The B motor was the first Modular motor as it was made from two 175 motors. It later because of the crank design that Wolfgang spoke of, made the three cylinder as well. With the way the centers were cut, much like the Yamaha Rd motors, you could index the crank for any size and literally make a motor as long as you wanted to. As a Racer, it is very rare to find a race motor in factory condition. A fellow a couple of years ago, contacted me about a new B motor that he bought back in 56. He lost the exhausts and I gave him a pair with the understanding, that if he ever wanted to sell it, he would give me first call. This thing still was in the wood crate from OverSeas Dealers and Konig. needless to say, this low life sold it without even contacting me. At least he could of offered to pay me for the NOS exhausts, but that's life I guess. Any way motors that are used for racing go through constant change in up dates or mechanics
wishes. I was lucky enough to get a unmolested C motor a few years back, and it is one of my pride and joy's. Even the test six cylinder I have has been changed from what the Konig factory made and it was never raced, but used to research for the 850 class. As I said earlier, The B and the C were offered for sale when the 4 cylinder motors hit the market. Same for the Fa and Va. Konig never threw anything away he just reused or made it work for a test idea. I have also a two cylinder test motor from Konig that was used to test opposed over alternate fire motors. The last motor that Dieter made was a square bore and stroke four cylinder A motor. Dan Kirts had/has the first production type, but the first one was a bad B that was made into a A, and the crankshaft discs were cut and welded together to change the stroke. This motor was tested and raced and was the motor Dieters son Peter won a 0250 World title with. It was great times at factory seeing and doing this kind of stuff. Steve

Steve Litzell
01-28-2015, 04:59 PM
I Forgot to Add: only the A and B motors had Bosch Mags. The FC and FD had SEM mags as they were better. I use a old SeM mag on my welding bench to start my torch up with.
Add:Another type of mag used on the stock motors and racing was the flywheel mag. These were marginal at best so then cam the Bosch

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-28-2015, 09:27 PM
In Steve Litzell's post #32, he mentions the design of the first modular motor.

I had the opportunity to see the A, B, and C version of this motor run at the LR Boat Club in about 1957-59 time frame. Dieter came to the US (believe it was the first trip) to demo his motors. The first race he came to was at our Club on Old River Lake at Scott, Ark., and this is the motor (design) that he brought. Do not remember now whether he brought his own boat or not, but I distinctly remember him adding cylinders, up to three, to start with an A, and then one more for a B, and a final one for a C. He cleaned house and won every heat he ran that day, even though that was his first experience with a clock start. I remember one heat in was in the first turn when the boats crossed the starting line and he won that one also. He would start a half lap behind sometimes and pass everything on the course. I do not know who was with him at our race, but assume it may have been Scott Smith, as I know he had some help. The next weekend he went to a race in Memphis and had the same kind of performance. The last race of the day was the "Free-for-All" which included several inboard runabouts of the Century/ChrisCraft type with big OHV V-8's, and he blew them off too. The other alky motors he competed against were KR's, SR's, PR's, and 4-60's.

I always thought I was very fortunate to see that 1st visit and the performance of the motors he introduced. By the way, the sanctioning body was NOA which was always much easier to get along with introducing new motors than APBA.

smittythewelder
01-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Shoot, I knew about the SEM magneto, but forgot. Lee Sutter used to use a SEM on his FA, as I recall. He was, I believe, a buddy of Bob Rautenburg, who was a local Konig dealer in the late '50s-early 60's, and maybe that's where he got a SEM mag.

The year I was particularly curious about was the start of production for the F-series twins.

Also, are you telling us that a factory-stock 1956 deflector B alky Konig had megaphones? I know I've never seen a photo of the C triple of that time that shows anything but open exhaust ports . . .

I have to disagree with you about the flywheel mag. As long as you kept the points clean (very important because of the low current through the points with this type of mag) and your upper crank seal was good and not spewing an oily vapor, that mag worked fine at least by the standards of the day, and was simple and ran and ran, with no phenolic gear teeth to shred.

I think there was a story about that (or another) US visit by Dieter in the 1957 Boat Sport issue I referred to above (I should find that thing and have someone scan a bunch of it and post it here). Are you sure about that modular A motor, Bill? The triple was 30 cu. in., the twin was 20 cu. in., and the single was . . . see what I mean?

wolfgang
01-29-2015, 04:54 AM
Phil - you are forgiven.
Like I said, I am by no means a Koenig specialist and just feeling (with the kind help from all partaking in this thread) around what my buddy and I found in his treasure chest.
Can perhaps any of you give me a hint how to insert on this website PFDs as attachments. Checking out the above, it appears I can insert photos, but not opened PFDs?
FWIW, I bought a pre-owned 19ft STV on Sunday and may have an original (hopefully restorable) Mercury Mod VP at my hands. Might as well go back into local racing (next year), while I am still fit enough.

Bill Van Steenwyk
01-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Smitty:

I understand your confusion about the Modular motor that was run at the race I referenced in LR, but I stand by what I said.

Either the single cyl A he ran was a full A displacement size, and then that cyl was put aside and a different one substituted in building the B & C, or he ran only 2/3rd's the size in A class.

I did not witness the first version of the motor, prior to running that day, but after hearing that he was then just going to add another cyl and run B, I along with others visited his pit area to look at what he was doing. I do not remember now almost 60 years after the fact whether the one cyl motor he ran in A was only 10 CI, but as bad as he outran everything else that day, it would not surprise me.

Pop Smith used to inspect some of our races in that time frame, and if he was there, I am sure everything was on the up and up, no matter the displacement of the first cyl used in the A race.

Also I did not mean to imply, by omission, that there were not Modified Mercs competing as there were. This was of course prior to the "Loopers" and they were deflectors, but they were not far along in their development and were not winning that much yet. Most of the Mercs had only the open exhaust and a Quicksilver lower unit, and the majority of them were not true Mercs, but Wizards from Western Auto, at least in our area.

hydroplay
01-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Shoot, I knew about the SEM magneto, but forgot. Lee Sutter used to use a SEM on his FA, as I recall. He was, I believe, a buddy of Bob Rautenburg, who was a local Konig dealer in the late '50s-early 60's, and maybe that's where he got a SEM mag. The year I was particularly curious about was the start of production for the F-series twins. Also, are you telling us that a factory-stock 1956 deflector B alky Konig had megaphones? I know I've never seen a photo of the C triple of that time that shows anything but open exhaust ports . . .

I have to disagree with you about the flywheel mag. As long as you kept the points clean (and your upper crank seal was good) it worked fine at least by the standards of the day, and was simple and ran and ran, with no phenolic gear teeth to shred.

I remember as a kid going to a race on Lake Mendota or Monona in Madison W I and smelling the horrid smell from someone burning the teeth off one of those phenolic gears!