PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now

mbd29
10-27-2005, 04:53 AM
I see a number of names from the past popping up here and often wonder where they, and others, are now. I'm going to throw a few names out and see if this thread can keep going. It would be interesting to here where all the old racers are now.

Lets start with Danny Piggot. I see he is a member. Danny what were you thinking as you were going over here?

How about:
Chick Gagen>>> Owns a Dealership in FL.
Jock Horner>>> I believe Jock is retired
Homer Greene
Tommy Posey
Kevin/Mark Miller
Kim Jernigan
Bert Sera
Terry Leatherby
Bob Larson
Bill Petty
Tom Arnstad
Doug Pearl>>> Talked to him about 15 years ago and he had short hair and kids.

These are just a few from different eras to get this started.

Joe J
10-27-2005, 06:58 AM
The only one I can answer to is Bob Larson. He is still running Larson Marine, in Stockton, CA.

Joe

Miss BK
10-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I saw Kim Jernigan about 4 or 5 years ago. She is now Kim Powell and at that time was married with a couple of kids, still living in Florida. She still was tall and slender as ever with that gorgeous long hair.

Her mother, Mary Alice Jernigan was the head scorer for Formula One Prop and her step-dad was one of the officials too. But when her step-dad, Jim Everett, died suddenly (around '99 or 2000 I think?) Mary Alice didn't come to as many events as previously and shortly thereafter ChampBoat took over and PROP ceased to exist. I haven't seen Mary Alice for about 3 years and often wonder how she's doing.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Wharfrat....the last photo was taken at Lake Conroe, 1973. I believe you said you were there. Might you be one of the guys down by Rick Clausen's boat?

hydroc888
10-28-2005, 03:38 PM
In the last picture , isnt boat 165 Bob Holloway ?

Joe J
10-28-2005, 06:22 PM
In the last picture , isnt boat 165 Bob Holloway ?

Jack, I would guess it to be Bob. That was his number, and those are the colors I remember him running.

Joe

Ted March
10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
is Terry Letherby (sp).

Tom Mitchell
10-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Wharfrat....the last photo was taken at Lake Conroe, 1973. I believe you said you were there. Might you be one of the guys down by Rick Clausen's boat?

I do not know where Tommy is now or can I remember when I last watched him race but I do remember when I first saw him racing. I believe it was at a marathon on Lake Texhoma between 1960 and 1962. He was driving a lapstrake boat in the 40 to 50 class, I believe. His dad was copilot and I think that is was his father's 50th birthday. His dad was regional director for NOA and they were both great people.
I seem to remember that the race was won by two airmen from the base at Sherman in a Glasspar G3 and Fred Shur of Henderson Tx was second in a Yellow Jacket. Both of these boats were running 70hp Mercs. Sam Canalito of Houston led in a Canalito with an Evinrude but a broken steering cable put him and his son in the hospital,
Long ago but time flies when you are having fun.
Tom

Master Oil Racing Team
10-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Tom, I had forgotten about Tommy's dad until you mentioned NOA. That would be Ben, right? Good guys.

Tom Mitchell
10-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Wayne,
You are probably right with Ben as Mr.Posey's name. For the life of me, I can't remember. I think I may have a letter that I received from him in the mid 60's but I can't remember where it is located at this time. As a matter of fact, at times I can't remember my name!
It would be interesting to watch an old timers race and some of them would forget to turn left.
Tom

BrianSmith
10-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey there to all and Thanx to Jeff Lytle for telling me about these sites while in Toronto recently.

From 1971-74 I drove with the CANTEK (Mercury) Race team based in Toronto (#s 588 & 988) in UU, U, UI and S classes (Mod U as I recall). I won the Canadian Nationals and was Region 2 Champion a few times.
Many years of great fun and wonderful people!

Does anyone recall the guy who in late 71 was running first in a river race in Ohio and took a detour thru some trees then down a gravel road?

That was me! I still have the piece of log with a skeg imbedded in it that tore the lower unit off.

I live in the southern part of Mexico now (Merida) where I retired from a consulting business.

BBaron
10-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Tom, I had forgotten about Tommy's dad until you mentioned NOA. That would be Ben, right? Good guys.
:) His name was Ben from the Dallas Ft.worth area one good person Benny :p

peterse90
12-22-2005, 12:42 AM
Hey there to all and Thanx to Jeff Lytle for telling me about these sites while in Toronto recently.

From 1971-74 I drove with the CANTEK (Mercury) Race team based in Toronto (#s 588 & 988) in UU, U, UI and S classes (Mod U as I recall). I won the Canadian Nationals and was Region 2 Champion a few times.
Many years of great fun and wonderful people!

Does anyone recall the guy who in late 71 was running first in a river race in Ohio and took a detour thru some trees then down a gravel road?

That was me! I still have the piece of log with a skeg imbedded in it that tore the lower unit off.

I live in the southern part of Mexico now (Merida) where I retired from a consulting business.

Brian; I think I have some pictures of your boat taken in Parry Sound 1973...befoe your nasty barrel-roll where it seemed like forever before you surfaced out of that snug Milesmaster cockpit. I'll try to scan them and post.
You and Dick Summerfeldt had equipment that put Merc Canada (Fred Wolf) to shame.
Remember your battle 1973 St. Jean against John Sherlock, that was great racing!

BrianSmith
12-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Thanx Peter: I don't recognize who you are but obviously someone familiar. Those were great days. The hook was really sudden, that boat was really tiny for the power and pretty unforgiving. I guess I didn't anticipate the waves bouncing back off that pier! I have a pic of me in mid-air that was printed in the paper.
The worst of it was driving with one hand the next weekend, nursing the broken ribs.
Any pics that anyone has would be really appreciated....unfortunately thru circumstances in these past years I have very few.

Regards to all!

Brian

peterse90
09-23-2007, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=peterse90;15029]Brian; I think I have some pictures of your boat taken in Parry Sound 1973...befoe your nasty barrel-roll where it seemed like forever before you surfaced out of that snug Milesmaster cockpit. I'll try to scan them and post.

Sorry about the poor quality of the pic's...a Kodak Instamatic and a novice picture taker...obviously taken after the barrel-roll

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I had a 2 hour conversation with Jim Hallum yesterday night. He is now 76 years young, fully retired living near Duval, Washington state, in what we, everyone east of the Rocky Mountains call God's country. Jim Hallum as many know co-opted with Ron Anderson, family and friends (in Washington state) and Bill Tenney (Minnesota) that marched forward in the 1960s to produce the British Anzani outboard racing A and B class Alky engines where the class Bs clobbered the century mark (100+miles per hour) in kilo events to set straightway records and speed runs as high as 107 mph to get the record eventually recognized at 101 mph. These days he enjoys his retirement and still has avid hobbies involving model aircraft that he builds and runs including versions powered Bill Tenney invented version of the pulse jet that push these RC aircraft into the 150 mph ranges. Speed is obviously still in his blood though he gave up the outboard racing and marine industry sides of it once he got into his later 60s.

Jim is quite thrilled that there is going to be the efforts to document and make historic his contributions to outboard racing that will be logged on to this site as technical articles on Anzani engines. From another standpoint he is thrilled to become part of the historic figures who contrbuted to the sport as part of the package to be developed for the Manitoba Marine Museum whose location is just a short stroll to the Red River and Selkirk race site that saw huge Service, Stock, Alky and Modified outboard racing meets that started from the 1950s. British Anzani was very prominent in these events during the earlier periods as were Quincy Mercs, Quincy Flatheads, Harrisons, Konigs, Crescents and other engines of that very progressive period. Jim Hallum was one of those west coast movers and shakers that gave outboard racing its west coast flavor and perspective front and center when all out speed was to be demonstrated. Readers can look forward to articles where Jim Hallum gives his perspective on things technical and historic in the near future under the threads involving A, B, C & D British Anzanis.

Now if we can shanghai Ron Anderson and others of that west coast group too, it can all be a well rounded historical exercise overall. Does anyone have Ron Anderson's and or other west coast historic figure's telephone numbers or email addresses if he is on the world wide web? All help in these efforts will be greatly appreciated.

BrianSmith
09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Thank you so much for posting the pics.................Yes I recall many friendly battles with John, Bucky Thornton, Bert and many others.

Thanx also for the compliment. We worked very hard on our stuff and wished to also present a quality image for us and the sport.

Regards to all

Brian