PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to a race....

Seanp3
10-31-2005, 10:57 AM
For all you seasoned racers.... does anyone have a list of things to make sure you bring along to a race. Besides all the obvious: boat, motor, gas, prop & pins, helmet and safety gear, what are some things you are going to need to bring for a first timer at a race.

BPIII125V
10-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Sean,

First off I'd like to say that for the most part what you forget at home someone will lend you. There are a lot of generous people in the sport who will do about anything to get you on the water. That said, here is more stuff to bring:

2 cycle oil
WD40
gear case oil
prop nuts
spark plugs
tools - screw drivers wrenches etc
knee pads or pad for boat
wet shoes
extra clothes
sunscreen
camera
video if you have it
GPS for recording speeds - or Keller speedometer
notebook to keep track of your set ups and results
stop watch - some guys like to have one in the boat so they can make timed runs at the clock before the race starts
sponge
drain plugs
starting fluid - for drying out engine
small plastic bucket
soap/hand cleaner
waders - if the water is cold
extra starter ropes - depending on the engine you run
shim sticks - 1/16", 1/8", 1/4"
height checker - make sure you are legal (can borrow)
angle checker - to check prop shaft angle (should have one since they are all slightly different
EZ canopy (nice to have)
legal gas - have yours checked before you mix with oil
paper towels
duct tape
extra kill switch tether
cordless drill & bits
food & drink
test wheel
holy cow, no wonder I need a bigger van:eek:

I'm sure there is more, maybe someone else could chime in.

Bill III

Seanp3
10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi Sean,

First off I'd like to say that for the most part what you forget at home someone will lend you. There are a lot of generous people in the sport who will do about anything to get you on the water. That said, here is more stuff to bring:

2 cycle oil
WD40
gear case oil
prop nuts
spark plugs
wet shoes
extra clothes
sunscreen
camera
video if you have it
stop watch - some guys like to have one in the boat so they can make timed runs at the clock before the race starts
sponge
drain plugs
small plastic bucket
soap/hand cleaner
angle checker - to check prop shaft angle (should have one since they are all slightly different
EZ canopy (nice to have)
paper towels
duct tape
extra kill switch tether
cordless drill & bits
food & drink
test wheel

Bill III

Thanks Bill, that's huge!! Not just the list, but to have this information. There's so much stuff to get I don't think I'll be getting it all in one shot. I do appreciate you taking the time to post it. I'm sure others will benefit as well ;)

Tim Weber
11-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Bill,

You forgot one of the essentials. Lots of cheap beer!

Don't forget a tach.

Tim

Miss BK
11-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Two things I always needed:

1. Prop wrench (knucklebusters aren't fun)

2. A person to back your trailer into the water (And a Sports Illustrated magazine for him to read to keep him from getting bored in case he isn't interested in boat racing - Been there, done that! Never again! LOL)

Seanp3
11-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Do most of you camp out at the race site, or do you usually find a close by motel?

Jeff Akers
11-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Sean,

From one rookie to another..
Bring some "confidence" and an "open mind" and the abillity to have some great fun and meet lots of good people.:D

OH one more thing, If you forget the sunblock or the EZup make sure you have one of these, you can never have enough shade:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Umbrella girls

BPIII125V
11-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Do most of you camp out at the race site, or do you usually find a close by motel?
Depends on your budget and what hotels are near or available. Even if you have the $$$ to hotel it, camping out is fun and gives you more time to spend with the other racers. At region 7 races we typically have 50-60% camping at the race site. I would guess region 6 is at least that high, and at really nice sites like Big Rapids, MI practically everyone camps.

Bill III

BPIII125V
11-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Bill, that's huge!! Not just the list, but to have this information. There's so much stuff to get I don't think I'll be getting it all in one shot. I do appreciate you taking the time to post it. I'm sure others will benefit as well ;)

most of the stuff on the list is cheap stuff. get a list together now and get something every week, before you know it you're ready to go.

Bill III

mercguy
11-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Sean,

Bring some "confidence" and an "open mind" and the abillity to have some great fun and meet lots of good people.:D

OH one more thing, If you forget the sunblock or the EZup make sure you have one of these, you can never have enough shade:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Umbrella girls

you are in charge of bringing the "umbrella girls"!!! Heck, I will "forget" my EZup every time (even though it is always in my trailer), if they are the "consequence"!!!!;)

mercguy
11-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Bill,

You forgot one of the essentials. Lots of cheap beer!

Don't forget a tach.

Tim

cheap beer?????????? I will make sure I do not try to "bum" a beer from you next time Tim!;)

Tim Weber
11-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey Daren,

You know, beer like Lite, Bud, Coors etc. I am not talking about Shaefer or Busch.

Tim

Seanp3
11-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Sean,

Umbrella girls

Jeff - nice touch!!

Not lacking in confidence right now. I'm actually kind of anxious - kind of looking forward for spring already and its forcasted for snow by end of week. Daren, I think you have it made down there - no snow to deal with.

Seanp3
11-01-2005, 02:30 PM
most of the stuff on the list is cheap stuff. get a list together now and get something every week, before you know it you're ready to go.

Bill III

Seems like this initial stuff is a bit spendy. Thanks to Daren he got me into a boat very reasonable. I'll just work on the other details a little at a time over the winter. Thanks guys - looking forward to meeting some more of you next season

kws
11-01-2005, 08:21 PM
lol i agree with Daren ... my wife might not tho
DRINKING WATER if you have room with the beer (dont always have drinking fountains and such)
also the allways important sense of humor
btw do you have a cart to roll your boat to the water ?

kws
11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
btw nice list Bill did you just copy yours? lol

Seanp3
11-01-2005, 08:43 PM
lol i agree with Daren ... my wife might not tho
DRINKING WATER if you have room with the beer (dont always have drinking fountains and such)
also the allways important sense of humor
btw do you have a cart to roll your boat to the water ?

Yep, Daren made sure I was setup to race. Just need all the incidental stuff like helmet, cut sleeves and pants... The list goes on.

Mark75H
11-01-2005, 08:46 PM
also bring you APBA card and club card and cash or check to pay your entry fees

might want to put your starting rope on the list, but you can always borrow one if you forget it :)

Seanp3
11-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Legal gas was mentioned. What would be illegal - if you mixed it with something you were not supposed to? If you fill up a tank with regular gas are you in good standing? Geeze, the more answers I get the more questions I have :eek:

Mark75H
11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
"oxygenated" gas would be illegal.

In some high smog areas the EPA requires all or a major quanity of the gas sold to have a small amount of an alcohol mixed in. This gas is illegal in boat racing unless the race committee finds that all local gas would normally be illegal and declares a "gas of the day" rule. This has never happened at a race I attended in the east.

oxygenated gas should be clearly labeled on the pump, but you might get so used to seeing the sticker that you have started ignoring it:confused:

If you are not sure, ask the inspector to test your gas BEFORE YOU RACE!

mercguy
11-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Jeff - nice touch!!

Not lacking in confidence right now. I'm actually kind of anxious - kind of looking forward for spring already and its forcasted for snow by end of week. Daren, I think you have it made down there - no snow to deal with.

was 85 yesterday, but has cooled down to the 70's today......;)

mercguy
11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Legal gas was mentioned. What would be illegal - if you mixed it with something you were not supposed to? If you fill up a tank with regular gas are you in good standing? Geeze, the more answers I get the more questions I have :eek:

just stick to regular old pump gas, no need for anything more. You "might" just buy a couple gallons of "race gas" to add slightly to your normal racing gas, just to make sure you pass inspection......

mercguy
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
"oxygenated" gas would be illegal.

In some high smog areas the EPA requires all or a major quanity of the gas sold to have a small amount of an alcohol mixed in. This gas is illegal in boat racing unless the race committee finds that all local gas would normally be illegal and declares a "gas of the day" rule. This has never happened at a race I attended in the east.

oxygenated gas should be clearly labeled on the pump, but you might get so used to seeing the sticker that you have started ignoring it:confused:

If you are not sure, ask the inspector to test your gas BEFORE YOU RACE!

as alot of the gas in S.Cal will not pass inspection! Case in point, Bakersfield, Ca, the local Chevron Station that is used for "fuel of the day" will read + on the meter........

mercguy
11-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Bottled water, shade (easy-up, etc....), every tool you own or have ever wanted to own :rolleyes: , clothes for hot weather, clothes for cold weather (I thought I was going to freeze to death in August in northeastern Alabama one year).

Try not to forget anything when you head out. I'm almost glad we don't race at El Dorado, AR anymore...... That race was only 1 1/2 - 2 hours away, but my luck there was never very good. First place I flipped a boat? El Dorado!
One year I went there and forgot my gas tank :o and had to go buy one from a local dealership (I was racing CMH and CMR back then and using a 3 gallon Mercury tank). :confused: Another time when I was rigging up one of my boats I couldn't find my prop box when it came time to put a prop on. (Want to guess where it was? :o ) My Dad had to drive back to my house and get my props while I was sweatin' it out in the drivers' meeting hoping that he would make it back in time (he did).

since I was bringing my small trailer to one race, I packed minimal items, thus forgetting the "megaphones" for my Cmod Merc..............

best thing to do is make a list and keep it handy or have a BIG trailer and keep everything inside, which is what I ended up doing.........

mercguy
11-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi Sean,

2 cycle oil
WD40
gear case oil
prop nuts
spark plugs
wet shoes
extra clothes
sunscreen
camera
video if you have it
sponge
drain plugs
small plastic bucket
soap/hand cleaner
EZ canopy (nice to have)
paper towels
duct tape
extra kill switch tether
cordless drill & bits
food & drink
test wheel

Bill III

so when you do cut you hand or fingers on the prop, you will have the necessary items to fix yourself up........

ALSO, it is MANDITORY to have a fire extinguisher also!!!!!

Jeff Akers
11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Jeff - nice touch!!

Hmmm, I'll be heading up your way (Kent,WA). be there all of next week, I'll bring some California sunshine with me:)

I hate snow:eek:

Ron Hill
11-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Toilet paper.....
Except at San Diego, man were their ****ters High Tech...When you went in the seat saluted you....very clean, too...

Bt many places.......we seem to race...a man could die in them Rent-a-heads... (A woman could die for sure...)....

Tim mention CHEAP BEER.....No one has mentioned a HUGE COOLER, with a lot of ice.....Many places don't have ice and a MARTINI without ice is REAL BAD...and hot beer...well, need I say more...

Did Bill's list have sandpaper and a file...seems I never have the right grit sandpaper....

Portable generator, for lights, to work on the boat at night....

ADD AGAIN SENSE OF HUMOR: CHOWCHILLA was at least a hundred and twenty (123 degrees on Saturday)....with no wind.

We went to a party that night in Fresno, inside the house was 100 degrees and it felt cool compared to outside (And this was 9 P.M.)...

DUCT TAPE the color of you equipment...Duct Tape will fix anything...it replaces stiches....super glue works too...you can super glue most cuts with super glue...

ANYTHING IN THE GARAGE that looks like you might need or that you might sell....

Now, you see why I just bought a 34 foot trailer ot race 45......

Joe Silvestri 36-S
11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Ron,

What will you be using to tow the 34' trailer? It has to be big! Any pictures of it?

Ron Hill
11-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Pat has an F-350...but the "SUCKER" is a bumper PULL...Probably pull my bumper right off...

Trailer is paid for...Chad has some pictures.......trying like hell to figure out where to park it....Maybe, in Needles next to the bar...if business was slow I could go work on the boats...

OH...Don't forget the TRAILER when you go to the races......One time, Tom Goldstone showed up at Salton Sea...We said, "Where's your boat Tom?" He said, "Funny you should ask...but we pulled the trailer out of the garage, and dad thought I hooked it on and we came here and didn't notice we didn't have it until we got here." If yopu know Tom, you'd know this tio be true...

When Tom first started driving my dad told Tom to "WATCH the Water." My dad noticed Tom looking out the side of the boat....My dad asked Tom what the hell was he doing? Tom said you told me to watch the water and that was what I was doing.....

mercguy
11-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Hmmm, I'll be heading up your way (Kent,WA). be there all of next week, I'll bring some California sunshine with me:)

I hate snow:eek:\

hmmmmmmmmm..........Kent, that was the last place I went to OMC school at (missed the Master Tech Qual by 3pts on my test, the first time in 92!). Is that where you are headed Jeff? I thought that school was gone?

Seanp3
11-02-2005, 04:15 PM

I hate snow:eek:

Jeff, you won't have to worry about snow in the Kent area. If anything it will just be wet. It gets a lot colder on the east side of the mountains where I live.

Seanp3
11-02-2005, 04:39 PM
so when you do cut you hand or fingers on the prop, you will have the necessary items to fix yourself up........

ALSO, it is MANDITORY to have a fire extinguisher also!!!!!

Thanks Daren, I updated my list. How are your boat projects coming along?

Seanp3
11-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Toilet paper.....
Except at San Diego, man were their ****ters High Tech...When you went in the seat saluted you....very clean, too...

Bt many places.......we seem to race...a man could die in them Rent-a-heads... (A woman could die for sure...)....

Tim mention CHEAP BEER.....No one has mentioned a HUGE COOLER, with a lot of ice.....Many places don't have ice and a MARTINI without ice is REAL BAD...and hot beer...well, need I say more...

Did Bill's list have sandpaper and a file...seems I never have the right grit sandpaper....

Portable generator, for lights, to work on the boat at night....

ADD AGAIN SENSE OF HUMOR: CHOWCHILLA was at least a hundred and twenty (123 degrees on Saturday)....with no wind.

We went to a party that night in Fresno, inside the house was 100 degrees and it felt cool compared to outside (And this was 9 P.M.)...

DUCT TAPE the color of you equipment...Duct Tape will fix anything...it replaces stiches....super glue works too...you can super glue most cuts with super glue...

ANYTHING IN THE GARAGE that looks like you might need or that you might sell....

Now, you see why I just bought a 34 foot trailer ot race 45......

Ron - I can sure see why you need it. I think I'll just rent a U-Haul and put the miles on their rig

Jeff Akers
11-02-2005, 07:05 PM
\

hmmmmmmmmm..........Kent, that was the last place I went to OMC school at (missed the Master Tech Qual by 3pts on my test, the first time in 92!). Is that where you are headed Jeff? I thought that school was gone?

It's Tacoma not Kent, I'm sutch a dummy:confused:

Not OMC but BRP, going for Etec training:cool:
I know all about that master tech qualifing stuff(trick questions and all):D fun,fun,fun

Ron Hill
11-02-2005, 08:12 PM
How about kneel pads??? Seems I always was borrowing them!!!! (Or stealing them)...

Sheet metal screws to screw the pad down...Oh, and good "EGG FOAM" (1 inch thick) pad...Driver comfort is REALLY IMPORTANT...

Warm socks...

Big Jock Strap!!!

Seanp3
11-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Big Jock Strap!!![/QUOTE]

Nice touch Ron! :D Definitely want to protect the goods.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Never thought about it until the laydown in Berlin!

mercguy
11-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks Daren, I updated my list. How are your boat projects coming along?

well, I got my Cmod Merc all reassembled over the past weekend. Just finished applying the last coat of West on the bottom of my CMH yesterday, not have it turned back over for the final coat of West in the cockpit and outside, then will start prepping it for primer, then paint. Hope to go pick up my new Dawe CSH tand Dudley Malone's CSH his coming weekend........then have LOTS of work to do......

Ron Hill
11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I said, "Big Jock Strap." What I really meant was heavy duty, as I feel the BEST BOAT RACERS have always won win brains...Knowing when to back off wins more races than big.........

ADD:

Don't bring your girl friend, if you still have a wife.... as some of us sometimes say things like, "Oh yea, I saw you at Parker." Only to find out the wife didn't GO TO PARKER........

Pitboss
11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
What to bring to a kneel-down race...Funny thing...nobody mentioned lots of props and SHEAR PINS because if you have enough for yourself...your "buddy " forgot his pins.

Keep dry Pitboss

Master Oil Racing Team
11-03-2005, 05:14 PM
When we got to Phoenix in 1976 we realized we left the tool box at home with ALL the tools. Only time we ever did that. So a pit man and myself drove into Phoenix looking for an auto parts or industrial supply store. We were just driving around aimlessly when my pit man saw a Snap On tool truck pass through the intersection ahead. We hurried up and made a right turn to catch up. It took a block and a half of honking and flashing lights before he pulled over. He had everything we needed.

Seanp3
11-03-2005, 05:31 PM
What to bring to a kneel-down race...Funny thing...nobody mentioned lots of props and SHEAR PINS because if you have enough for yourself...your "buddy " forgot his pins.

Keep dry Pitboss

I'm working on it...;) Ron, it just jot here today. It's very light. I'll let you know how it works out when I get a chance to try it. Thanks

Ron Hill
11-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Sean, I talked to Jim O'Berto, yesterday, he's just getting back into racing and helping John Peters....a shirt tail relative...I've known Jim a long time, never been really close to him...but I'll bet my life he'll help you in anyway he can...Don't be a fraid to go ask him anything....

As I told you the "WINGER" ain't for the faint at heart in OSY 400.....John Peters may like it as an A WHEEL...(Don't let them get it away from you cheap)....

I think we'll be seeing some O'Berto Beef Jerky ads here soon!!!

Stay tuned...

ALWAYS NEED A CAMERA...May need to take pictures of "SNAPPERS".... (That was also the name of my boat)...I'd be to Snapper XXXII by now....

And, sometime it is good to take pictures of props......as in propellers....

ADD TOOL BOX STORY: AAt the 1967 Canton, OHIO, OPC Nationals a nice young man and his son helped us all week. When we loaded up to go to inspection, we put our tool box in their truck to drive over to the boat (My dad was pulling the boat with his 66 Chevy and it seems easier to have this guy bring the tool box...Well, we went to inspection, the guy and his son went home...we never saw our tool box again.... So much for HUMAN NATURE!!!! My dad just said, "Maybe the guy needed them."......SOmethings would set my old man off, somethings wouldn't...

Now went Edgar Rose told me to pull my head off my Evinrude, I went off on Edgar...I said, "I'll pull my head when THEM Mercury guys pull their heads." I said, "How are you going to inspect those MERC GUYS???" I said, "You want to inspect my motor...???Go for it. But I AIN'T PULING NO HEADS."

Seanp3
11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
well, I got my Cmod Merc all reassembled over the past weekend. Just finished applying the last coat of West on the bottom of my CMH yesterday, not have it turned back over for the final coat of West in the cockpit and outside, then will start prepping it for primer, then paint. Hope to go pick up my new Dawe CSH tand Dudley Malone's CSH his coming weekend........then have LOTS of work to do......

Shoot me a picture, Daren, I'd love to see it when you get it done

Seanp3
11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Sean, I talked to Jim O'Berto, yesterday, he's just getting back into racing and helping John Peters....a shirt tail relative...I've known Jim a long time, never been really close to him...but I'll bet my life he'll help you in anyway he can...Don't be a fraid to go ask him anything....

As I told you the "WINGER" ain't for the faint at heart in OSY 400.....John Peters may like it as an A WHEEL...(Don't let them get it away from you cheap)....

Stay tuned...

ALWAYS NEED A CAMERA...May need to take pictures of "SNAPPERS".... (That was also the name of my boat)...I'd be to Snapper XXXII by now....

ADD TOOL BOX STORY: AAt the 1967 Canton, OHIO, OPC Nationals a nice young man and his son helped us all week. When we loaded up to go to inspection, we put our tool box in their truck to drive over to the boat (My dad was pulling the boat with his 66 Chevy and it seems easier to have this guy bring the tool box...Well, we went to inspection, the guy and his son went home...we never saw our tool box again.... So much for HUMAN NATURE!!!! My dad just said, "Maybe the guy needed them."......SOmethings would set my old man off, somethings wouldn't...

Now went Edgar Rose told me to pull my head off my Evinrude, I went off on Edgar...I said, "I'll pull my head when THEM Mercury guys pull their heads." I said, "How are you going to inspect those MERC GUYS???" I said, "You want to inspect my motor...???Go for it. But I AIN'T PULING NO HEADS."

Thanks again Ron. I just wish spring were a little closer. I was hoping the warm fall would last a little longer so I could take it for a spin over Thanksgiving. If it stays as cold as it is I probably won't, but you never know. I remember when I was 17 and my dad got a new 19' Sterling ski boat with a 140 Merc. It was end of November and I love to waterski. Well, I wasn't going to let 35 deg weather slow me down. I had my dad put the boat in and I went skiing. I could hardly let go of the rope at the end of the run my hands were so cold.

Any rate, thanks to all who posted. Its been very helpful ;)

Ron Hill
11-03-2005, 10:32 PM
I was thinking...don't forget a spare tire for the trailer and a JACK that works... and a lug wrench that actually fits the lugs on the trailer...

Advil ain't all bad either!!!

I was thinking about what Pitboss said....Don't forget to bring the Mother-in-law....

mercguy
11-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Shoot me a picture, Daren, I'd love to see it when you get it done

I will, as soon as I get a new "link cord" for my camera...........the old one finally got worn out and broke.....:confused:

mercguy
11-04-2005, 10:54 AM

Stay tuned...

"Sean, I talked to Jim O'Berto, yesterday, he's just getting back into racing and helping John Peters....a shirt tail relative...I've known Jim a long time, never been really close to him...but I'll bet my life he'll help you in anyway he can...Don't be a fraid to go ask him anything...."

they were at the last oroville race. That old Pavlick still runs great!!

Cameraboy
11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks again Ron. I just wish spring were a little closer. I was hoping the warm fall would last a little longer so I could take it for a spin over Thanksgiving. If it stays as cold as it is I probably won't, but you never know. I remember when I was 17 and my dad got a new 19' Sterling ski boat with a 140 Merc. It was end of November and I love to waterski. Well, I wasn't going to let 35 deg weather slow me down. I had my dad put the boat in and I went skiing. I could hardly let go of the rope at the end of the run my hands were so cold.

Any rate, thanks to all who posted. Its been very helpful ;)

Sean, SOA puts on a novice school in early spring. My nephew has put on the last couple of them, and this year's ought to be well attended with all of the new J drivers. There's always a batch of current drivers and officials at the novice school that can answer a lot of your questions. I think they even try to have a rigged boat there to look at. This would be well worth a drive over the hill for you. I'll make sure Ryan has your e-mail.

ps - wouldn't mind trying that prop on a 20ss rig. looks like one we got spanked with most of the season by Jon Nilsen (when we weren't chasin that red & green Pavlick!)

Seanp3
11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Sean, SOA puts on a novice school in early spring. My nephew has put on the last couple of them, and this year's ought to be well attended with all of the new J drivers. There's always a batch of current drivers and officials at the novice school that can answer a lot of your questions. I think they even try to have a rigged boat there to look at. This would be well worth a drive over the hill for you. I'll make sure Ryan has your e-mail.

ps - wouldn't mind trying that prop on a 20ss rig. looks like one we got spanked with most of the season by Jon Nilsen (when we weren't chasin that red & green Pavlick!)

Sounds really good. Keep me posted. I'd really like to come over and attend and bring my 13 yr old son. I can't quite tell how excited he is to do this stuff, but I'd really like to do it before I get too old. I'm curious how the prop will do also. I'd like to get together with someone locally (westside or eastside) and get out on the water and give me some pointer on setup and how to tune up the Yamato, etc. I've got most the tools needed I just not quite sure how to do it yet. I'm sure there a bunch of guys on the westside that could help out. I just haven't met them yet. Thanks for the info and keep me posted on the novice school.

sponsonhead
11-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Sounds really good. Keep me posted. I'd really like to come over and attend and bring my 13 yr old son. I can't quite tell how excited he is to do this stuff, but I'd really like to do it before I get too old. I'm curious how the prop will do also. I'd like to get together with someone locally (westside or eastside) and get out on the water and give me some pointer on setup and how to tune up the Yamato, etc. I've got most the tools needed I just not quite sure how to do it yet. I'm sure there a bunch of guys on the westside that could help out. I just haven't met them yet. Thanks for the info and keep me posted on the novice school.

Sean, stay in touch----there's some talk of a pre-season Feb or March testing session east of the mountains over at Scooteney near Connell. If it happens, it would be great if you could come along. It would get you lots of help to get started, plus the somewhat "controlled" (relative term) conditions of testing with a bunch of fellow racers.

Have you got all your gear now? Engine? safety equipment? etc? Gimme a shout if I can help.

Hope to meet you soon,

Patrick Gleason
R-19

Seanp3
11-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Sean, stay in touch----there's some talk of a pre-season Feb or March testing session east of the mountains over at Scooteney near Connell. If it happens, it would be great if you could come along. It would get you lots of help to get started, plus the somewhat "controlled" (relative term) conditions of testing with a bunch of fellow racers.

Have you got all your gear now? Engine? safety equipment? etc? Gimme a shout if I can help.

Hope to meet you soon,

Patrick Gleason
R-19

Patrick, thanks a ton. I would really enjoy getting together and doing some testing. What I have right now is the basics to get on the water....Boat completely rigged, Y80, and a couple props. I will be ordering a helmet shortly, and would love to find some used kevlar, but haven't been able to locate any. So it looks like I will be stopping by SRP on one of my trips over the hill. I will send you a PM with my email so you can keep in touch when spring rolls around. ;)

Ron Hill
11-10-2005, 08:48 PM
You don't need it, until you need it...

We're going to Chowchilla...it is two thirty A.M., I'm sleeping. We pass the Dawes along side the road...They wake me up and say we just pasted the Dawes.... I say we're they sleeping? No, they say they were working on something...

I say, "Maybe, we should go back." Everyone says, "We only have a spare tire."...Nine O'clock the next day the days come rollling into the race. "Damn, they say, we sure could have used a spare tire."......

I our defense: Bowman was driving, since LA, and running about 80.....he was going to Chowchilla, damn it, and going to bed...The Dawes were only two miles from town...and I had been asleep since LA...5 1/2 hours...

20:20 hindsight, we should have helped the Dawes...had we gotten off the freeway, back tracked five miles...and found out they were taking a leak....(The next day, we did givbe them our spare tire...even though I worried all the way home we'd need it..)...

Tip of the DAY!!!*** Never BUY BEER when your car needs oil.....**** The car needs oil before you buy beer...(If you have money for both, no problem...but don't "SHORT" the car!!!

mercguy
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
You don't need it, until you need it...

We're going to Chowchilla...it is two thirty A.M., I'm sleeping. We pass the Dawes along side the road...They wake me up and say we just pasted the Dawes.... I say we're they sleeping? No, they say they were working on something...

I say, "Maybe, we should go back." Everyone says, "We only have a spare tire."...Nine O'clock the next day the days come rollling into the race. "Damn, they say, we sure could have used a spare tire."......

I our defense: Bowman was driving, since LA, and running about 80.....he was going to Chowchilla, damn it, and going to bed...The Dawes were only two miles from town...and I had been asleep since LA...5 1/2 hours...

20:20 hindsight, we should have helped the Dawes...had we gotten off the freeway, back tracked five miles...and found out they were taking a leak....(The next day, we did givbe them our spare tire...even though I worried all the way home we'd need it..)...

Tip of the DAY!!!*** Never BUY BEER when your car needs oil.....**** The car needs oil before you buy beer...(If you have money for both, no problem...but don't "SHORT" the car!!!

as we (me, my brother, his girlfriend and my little 2yr old niece) were the next ones to pass the Dawes on the side of the road at 2AM. Well, WE DID STOP and thus spent the next 4hrs swapping tires, of which they blew the spare on the trailer, so we then borrowed the spare from Steven's 45 to get them going again. Then, I get a call that Steven blew a tire on hi 45 trailer and his spare was on the "kneeler" trailer now. So........we pulled in at 7am, of which I had started driving at 5pm the day before.......so, because of YOU, I was driving for 12hrs non-stop!!!!! Then was racing 4 classes that day.......

so, next time STOP!!!!!!! .......:(

Ron Hill
11-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Bowman is very "FOCUSED" .......or another way of sayig it, is, when He's driving...he's a man with a mission...So, I wasn't driving...we got a pretty good night's sleep...listening to the WHOLE story..hell, I'm glad we didn't stop...
Actually, Chad did call Steven on his cell and it was turned off!!!

Do you want a cleaver for Parker or do you want me writing all night??

kws
11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
lol 0do the words bigger hubs and tires mean anything lol

mercguy
11-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Bowman is very "FOCUSED" .......or another way of sayig it, is, when He's driving...he's a man with a mission...So, I wasn't driving...we got a pretty good night's sleep...listening to the WHOLE story..hell, I'm glad we didn't stop...
Actually, Chad did call Steven on his cell and it was turned off!!!

Do you want a cleaver for Parker or do you want me writing all night??

glad to hear you guys got a good night's sleep........atleast someone did. I tried sleeping for about an hour in my trailer, but the bugs were out, so only got about 20min's of sleep, before it was time to get the boats unloaded and rigged..........

so, which cleaver?

mercguy
11-10-2005, 11:10 PM
lol 0do the words bigger hubs and tires mean anything lol

bigger hubs and tires DO NOT stop the 125 degree heat in Indio, Ca from damaging the side walls, causing them to crack severly!

kws
11-11-2005, 06:07 AM
daren im not saying it will STOP the heat. but the bigger around the tire is the slower it turns (baised on the same speed)the less heat it builds up.
yes i understand it wont stop u from having tires fail due to heat but they will last longer in the same conditions

one eight-w
11-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Our trip to Depue for the stock race was the same way. Blew a trailer tire in Rochester. Stopped at "The Mans Mall" ie. Fleet Farm Replaced both tires and wheels on the trailer. Seventy miles later in LaCrosse we blew out a rear tire on the van. Looked at the rest of the van tires and they were all blistered. Not fun with a wife, dog and two month old daughter along. So much for leaving early. And it was near 100 on that trip. Travel at night, it's cooler:cool:
Davey

dave 68r
11-13-2005, 04:53 PM
hey glad to hear there will be more of darens rigs in reg 10...no daren yet.. hope to see ya in 06 !! did you also get your 80 from daren? oh ya need easy up for rain not shade here and rain gear !! :o

dave 68R

Seanp3
11-13-2005, 05:09 PM
hey glad to hear there will be more of darens rigs in reg 10...no daren yet.. hope to see ya in 06 !! did you also get your 80 from daren? oh ya need easy up for rain not shade here and rain gear !! :o

dave 68R

Yep, I picked up the 80 from Daren. Super guy to get lots of help from. I think I've asked him more questions than most, since I'm basically getting started by myself. Weather permitting I might get the boat in the water over Thanksgiving and give it a spin.

dave 68r
11-13-2005, 05:27 PM
:D are you going to run SOA or a club over there? daren also got me started i have 2 of his boats and a80.. you may want to try a3 blade prop ! his rigs are very fast have you drove before ? make sure your with people when ya test! be safe and have fun hope to see ya at the race.. oh ya pat sells safty gear for SRP and may get ya a good deal [sponsonhead]

dave68R

Seanp3
11-13-2005, 05:59 PM
:D are you going to run SOA or a club over there? daren also got me started i have 2 of his boats and a80.. you may want to try a3 blade prop ! his rigs are very fast have you drove before ? make sure your with people when ya test! be safe and have fun hope to see ya at the race.. oh ya pat sells safty gear for SRP and may get ya a good deal [sponsonhead]

dave68R

Thanks Dave. I don't know of any clubs over here. I think Tri Cities may have something but not sure. I know they race the unlimited's on the Columbia so they may have some kind of club over there. My plans are to join SOA when registration time comes. I just registered with APBA and got my boat number (29R), so I'm kind of excited about that. Oh, I do have a 2 and 3 blade prop right now... the 3 blade Daren included with the 80. Are you registered with SOA?

dave 68r
11-13-2005, 06:50 PM
oh ya if you joined apba then you should run with us.. i run 20 hydro and some csh still new to the sport also but had a pretty good 05 season need a little more speed now that i can kinda drive...i know you have a bunch of ?? but dont worry reg. 10 has a bunch of great guys !! dont know were else you can get help from 3 unlimited drivers. and many others who are great outboard drivers .... trust me theres no other sport were the best in it will also help ya try and beat them.. anyways welcome see ya at the first race if ya have any ? for me just ask....

dave 68R

Seanp3
11-13-2005, 07:08 PM
oh ya if you joined apba then you should run with us.. i run 20 hydro and some csh still new to the sport also but had a pretty good 05 season need a little more speed now that i can kinda drive...i know you have a bunch of ?? but dont worry reg. 10 has a bunch of great guys !! dont know were else you can get help from 3 unlimited drivers. and many others who are great outboard drivers .... trust me theres no other sport were the best in it will also help ya try and beat them.. anyways welcome see ya at the first race if ya have any ? for me just ask....

dave 68R

Just need some seat time, or should I say kneeling time? Maybe I'll pick up a 102 midseason so I can run CSH as well. I'll see how it goes. Thanks again

mercguy
11-13-2005, 07:51 PM

dave68R

too bad I cannot seem to find new drivers down here!!! Oh well, atleast there ARE new drivers entering the sport. As to my rigs being fast, well, they are not fast enough yet! Kind of cool having (3) of my past rigs up there in Reg10. I will get up there this year, especially for the Stock Divisionals at Cullaby. Now, since I was nice to you and Sean, you guys have to take it easy on me in CSH and 20SSH, as it would be real embarrassing getting beat by my previous boats........:eek: :eek:

Good luck to BOTH of you in the coming season!!!!!!

mercguy
11-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Just need some seat time, or should I say kneeling time? Maybe I'll pick up a 102 midseason so I can run CSH as well. I'll see how it goes. Thanks again

well, when you are ready, I have a 102 built by TJ, that I will sell you, but you have to win a 20SSH or two first!!!!!!!;)

dave 68r
11-13-2005, 10:23 PM
hey daren how's it going? i need to get some work done on the 80 but hopefully can find more speed ... don't need to worry about me but that 302 is fast on that big course!! is gary coming also ?

dave 68R

mercguy
11-13-2005, 11:39 PM
hey daren how's it going? i need to get some work done on the 80 but hopefully can find more speed ... don't need to worry about me but that 302 is fast on that big course!! is gary coming also ?

dave 68R

the Bakersfield race is Mar 4/5. Yes, Gary and most of Reg12 will be at the Divisionals at Cullaby......

dave 68r
11-14-2005, 08:47 PM
this will be a good race .... met some your buddys there last year. tony and mike good guys tony won osy... dont forget who won 20 there last year...:D well anyway good luck in 06 season and hopefully will see ya in the first turn..

mercguy
11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
this will be a good race .... met some your buddys there last year. tony and mike good guys tony won osy... dont forget who won 20 there last year...:D well anyway good luck in 06 season and hopefully will see ya in the first turn..

man, you guys are going to have some great battles in 20SSH for 2006, including Peters, Nielson, Johnson, etc, etc, etc. CSH and OSY are going to be just as tough up there!!!!!:eek: I would be lucky to come out of any of those races in 5th place!;) Then, factor in CSR.....whew!

words to live by.........TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST and more testiing!

Seanp3
04-24-2006, 09:03 PM
What do most use for shims to raise the motor slight if needed?

MikeyHauenstein
04-25-2006, 06:53 AM
What do most use for shims to raise the motor slight if needed?

Paint stirring stick-- they're free!

-MH

Seanp3
04-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks MH and Dave, I've got a paint store close by. I'm going to pick up stirring sticks and I should be ready for this weekend. I just got the tools to check the height and angle and noticed I need to raise the motor slightly.

dave 68r
04-25-2006, 03:51 PM
hey Sean...Darin set up is probaly right on i had to shave down mine due to the weather in Wa. state....so try to find something even thinner than stir sticks...but get some of those too....but i have plenty so we will get you all set up.....not sure what time we will be there...maybe late fri. afternoon...see you there..Dave 68R

dave 68r
04-25-2006, 04:38 PM
that's a good idea....my thin wood one's always break up...after a few race's!! and that little extra height help's ;) i like to be right on the limit as close as i can get it anyway's....

Ron Hill
04-25-2006, 05:43 PM
I won't go into the details.... but always keep a spare pair in the trailer...maybe two... Especially, IF you might leave your suitcase at the house that is 67 miles from the race...

Bull FROG is a must too....

Duct tape, every color...

Seanp3
04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey Ron, I'll be starting out with one of your props you made for Mercguy. I don't know anything about it except it seems to work pretty good!!

Jeff Akers
04-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Sean, Just wanted to say good luck this weekend and have FUN:cool:

Joe Silvestri 36-S
04-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Sean,

Be sure to set-up the height of the engine conservatively, say 3/4" below the bottom. If you have time to test, you can work your way up from there. You certainly do not want to burn up the engine. Remember, all props react differently and some props will keep the engine from pumping water if ran to high.

Seanp3
04-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Sean,

Be sure to set-up the height of the engine conservatively, say 3/4" below the bottom. If you have time to test, you can work your way up from there. You certainly do not want to burn up the engine. Remember, all props react differently and some props will keep the engine from pumping water if ran to high.

Thanks Joe, I've only got 2 props right now. I've used one already and worked fine at the proper height. The other is a 2 blade prop I haven't tried yet. I might just stick to the 3 blade that tried and proven, and if I have time to try out the 2 blade during some test time I will.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I think we are gonna see more jerry cans of gasoline straped to trailers than ever before, with the way prices and supplies are going now. :(