PDA

View Full Version : Quincy fuel tank tower protype

narrowminded
03-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Is this the prototype for the Quincy fuel tank tower? This one is different than the other one I have and the other three I have seen, I have a picture of O F Christner standing by one that looks like it, from the Strang Collection.

smittythewelder
03-11-2016, 08:29 PM
I haven't got the right glasses on, but as far as I can see, some of the welds sure don't look like they would have been done by Quincy Welding . . .

Gene East
03-12-2016, 02:59 AM
Al Herrmann and I made most of these "tanks". I never put any of the angled reinforcements on my tanks, nor did I ever see Al use them.

I suspect they may have been added after the tank was built as the tank closely resembles the ones built in Quincy.

The welds on the basic tank look much better than the ones on the reinforcements!

Al Herrmann was a very skilled craftsman who could make or repair anything.

Although he was born in the USA, Al was very proud of his German heritage and never "Americanized" his name. He stressed the double R and double N.

Most customers would remember Al for his ever present pipe as he sat at his lathe turning out piston after piston.

R.I.P. Al Herrmann!

Original Looper 1
03-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Gene looking back we had a team of talent at Quincy Welding that was way beyond Amazing !

As time went on we could never find that kind of a complete unselfish skilled talent team of members again ,after losing all of

you superstars !

Regards

Paul.

DeanFHobart
03-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Hello,

How many gallons were these? Where is the Filler Cap?

Why was the 20-H Conversion Tower used? What years were these made?

I remember seeing several of these in use.

Thanks,

Dean Hobart.......................................

Gene East
03-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Dean

In answer to your questions:

Approximately 3.5 gal, filler cap was situated in the area where exhaust dumped into the down housing.

20-H Conversion tower was used because it fit the power head and the lower unit. Standard 20-H towers would break under the power of modified Mercurys and Quincy Loopers.

Getting the tank out of the boat allowed the driver to slide back farther in the cockpit and run looser. This was a bigger factor in runabouts than it was in a hydro.

These tanks were used in the early 60's and were phased out due to the failure rate of Mercury gears due to the increased HP of the Quincy Mercs and the Quincy Loopers.

In the search for more durable gears, steel drive housings that could accept different L/U's became the norm.

I raced a mildly modified gas burner 20-H with this tank set up for 3 years w/o a failure, but I wasn't putting as much HP on the gears.

Hope this answers your questions.

Gene

DeanFHobart
03-17-2016, 05:14 AM
Thanks Gene,

You did answer my questions exactly.

Thanks again.

Dean.................................