PDA

View Full Version : Parker official results for 1971 and 1972

MErkMAniak
02-27-2017, 05:09 AM
Looking for the official results from Parker for 71 and 71.

Thanks very much

Willabee
09-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Looking for the official results from Parker for 71 and 71.

Thanks very much

Hey Ron,
Would you happen to have the official results for this race? One of the guys just bought a Schulze that was in that race, probably driven by Mac McCune. He is trying to find out how it finished. I couldn't find anything in Powerboat that could help.

Thanks, Bill (your tomato soup story sharing buddy :D )

Ron Hill
09-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Hey Ron,
Would you happen to have the official results for this race? One of the guys just bought a Schulze that was in that race, probably driven by Mac McCune. He is trying to find out how it finished. I couldn't find anything in Powerboat that could help.

Thanks, Bill (your tomato soup story sharing buddy :D )

I put most of my "STUFF" up over head in the shop, last year.......but have been pulling some stuff down and posting it, here and on Facebook. I am actually trying to write "MY BOOK" and I am up to 1961...

Found some "RICE" in our Golden's "POOP" this A.M.......thought of Portugal, got her to the Vet for some pills....

1972 poster hanging in our lobby! Might be Barry Wood's Schultz. ADD: The Parker Programs USUALLY only had the top ten.

Willabee
09-27-2017, 01:09 PM
I put most of my "STUFF" up over head in the shop, last year.......but have been pulling some stuff down and posting it, here and on Facebook. I am actually trying to write "MY BOOK" and I am up to 1961...

Found some "RICE" in our Golden's "POOP" this A.M.......thought of Portugal, got her to the Vet for some pills....

1972 poster hanging in our lobby! Might be Barry Wood's Schultz. ADD: The Parker Programs USUALLY only had the top ten.

You are way too old to be just at 1961! Hell, the 67/74 years will take you a decade to reduce to writing. Of course part of the problem is that you think a lot like Jackie Wilson ..... why say something in seven words when you can say it in seventy? :D

Good luck with your book, I look forward to reading it.

I'll show the 351 Woods/Hauenstein Schulze to the man looking , thanks.

Willabee
10-05-2017, 11:23 AM
..... Good luck with your book, I look forward to reading it.

I'll show the 351 Woods/Hauenstein Schulze to the man looking , thanks.

Just an FYI ..... I did find what Powerboat calls the top 20 finishers running at the end. I don't think he needs anything further.

Thanks

Ron Hill
10-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Well, what are they? I know I was second!

Willabee
10-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Well, what are they? I know I was second!

Here ya go, from Powerboat, April 1972 .....

'BOATS TO FINISH AND LAPS RECORDED'

1. McConnell/May - 60 - #191 - OB
2. Wallace/Hill - 59 - #777 - OB
3. Woods/Hauenstein - 59 - #351 - OB
4. Holloway/Bourquin - 57 - #165 - OB
5. Rexwinkle Brothers - 57 - #411 - IB
6. Seebold/Petty - 56 - #190 - OB
7. Peacock/Gagen - 55 - #125 - OB
8. Larson/Traen - 53 - #229 - OB
9. Chiaravalle - 53 - #39 - OB
10. Brunette - 51 - #107 - OB
11. Rex/Baker/Mullette - 48 - #991 - IB
12. Ellison/Knight/Foster - 45 - #46 - OB
13. Johnson/Lane - 43 - #380 - OB
14. Folt/Cline/Perkins - 38 - #69 - IB
15. Aldrich/Hessman - 31 - #87 - OB
16. Irving - 29 - #85 - IB
17. McCarroll/Nicholson - 29 - #3 - IB
18. Cobb/O'Brian/Packer - 22 - #711 - IB
19. Trichler/McClure - 20 - #294 - Jet
20. Paine - 20 - #277 - Jet

OMC took the top three spots just like they did in 1970. However, this time they managed to avoid their "three stooges" type drama in the last turn. You guys should make Mr. Hill tell that story! :D

Ron Hill
10-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Facts with me, when telling stories sometimes get confused, but to call OMC drivers, that finished one, two and three, at the 1970 Parker 9 Hour, The Three Stooges.....Hmm. That would make me one of the "STOOGES".

The 10,000 people that saw that AMAZING ending to a 9 Hour Race, if they are still alive, know they saw one of the greatest finishes in boat racing history.

I might start off saying, on the first lap I was running third, an a guy driving an INBOARD, which I hated then and probably still do, cut me off and ran me into an inner tube buoy. The driver was Jigs Howard driving a red and white boat named Miss Shirley. (And to not still be pissed off at him, 53 years later, he may not have seen the buoy and had to make a quick turn...to miss it).

OMC boats didn't have many gauges on our dash, but we did have "HOT LIGHTS". Right after running over this damn buoy, my "Hot Light" came on, on my right motor. I pulled a shore and jumped in the water. I determined, that the inner tube was wrapped around my gearcase and was tangled in the prop. There was no way in hell to get the tube off the gearcase and prop, but I determined, that If i could re start the engine, the tube would break. So, I jumped back in, fired the left engine, and tried to fire the right engine, it started and I went slow, the "Hot Light" went out, so I assume the inner tube was gone.

SO, ON THE FIRST LAP I GO FROM THIRD, TO PROBABLY 47TH. MY DAD WAS ALWAYS A "WORRY WART" about gas and oil. I had won the 1967 Havasu World Championships because the Berghauer brothers ran out of gas. So, when OMC was telling people when to fuel, my dad said, "We'll pit you at two hours", my dad said, "We are running about 8-10 MPH than we were at Havasu, on 13 mile lap. No, we are stopping at an hour and forty minutes."

My brother, who usually never got his feet wet, yelled at me to have Dewey Berghauer stop and one hour twenty minutes. Dewey was my co driver, and I wasn't sure my bother's logic, but I told Dewey to come back in one hour twenty minutes.

My brother asked what happened on the first lap. I told him the story. He said, "Well the way I calculate your times, you can win this thing. But, I know Dewey is a good driver, but unless he laps the same times as you, you probably won't win."

Dewey did well, but didn't make the time it did. In Dewey's defense, I grew up around that river and knew the shore line had deep water. When I got in, Russ just said, "Drive hard".

Now my brother, who passed away nine years ago this December, had worked at Hubbell Motor before he went in the Army. He had designed his 1949 Hearst Regatta's winning "A" gearcase and he'd helped "PEP" Hubbell with many of his motor parts that he "Designed" and sold.

When Russ was in the Army in Germany, he ran an IBM machine. When he returned from the Army, he tried to go to college to study "Data Processing" and they had never heard of it. He went to work for Rheem Manufacturing, they made hot water tanks. He soon ran the company.

He left Rheem to help Kennedy put a man on the moon. Then moved to Mattel Toys where he basically ran the company, as computers were new, and Russ ran the computers.

He left Mattel in 1978 to run the OFFY INDY CAR FACTORY. John Drake, his life long friend and boat racing buddy hired Russ to run his company. Lee Iaccoca wanted to build and Indy car motor but he owed the government money and didn't think it was a good idea.

My brother shut Drake Engineering down in 1981 and he went to work on the Stealth Bomber Project. When the project ended, my brother had 500 people working for him.

John Drake, had started making water pumps, with my help. He made thin blades like my race props. Roger Penske bought the water pumps to run on his Indy cars. One year, every Honda at Indy had John Drake water pumps.

Point being here, each time I stopped for gas, Russ would just tell me "Keep Pushing". And I figured he knew data.

I caught Gerry Walin by taking a short cut through the trees, Bobby Witt was leading but I could see we were gaining on him. So, when Walin pitted I figured I only had to run Witt down. But, all of sudden, here comes Alan Stinsen, coming through the trees taking the short cut. There were old dead trees all along the back straight away just before Blue Water. If you could straighten the river out, you could save a lot of ground, but there were these trees. As Stinsen goes by me, like 8:40 into the race, 20 minutes to go in the race, his props are throwing large pieces of tree stumps off his props. These pieces are like one foot long, 2 1/2 in diameter, but he ain't backing down. They are coming out between his motors bouncing off my boat, I'm ducking these pieces of water logged dead trees.

So, as we make the Blue Water turn, I figure , we have two laps left. As Stinsen and I head back up river, I lay on my windshield to get it lower thinking this might help my speed and I hug the shore but don't go near the docks because I remember Bob Ellis being killed running under a dock.

I look over and there goes Stinsen by me, damn near knocking the docks down. We get to La Paz Park turn and I out turn him. We head back to Blue Water, at the 76 gas dock I hug the shore so tight I knock tulle's down with my right sponson. I figure, I got the SUMBITCH now. As we get to Blue Water, I make the turn, but Bobby Witts seems way too far ahead to catch.

By now there are no buoys on the river and the river is quite a few big curves in it.

One lap to go. As I leave Blue Water, I go across the river to the other side, as a "Short Cut", I look back, Stinsen is following me, I'm holding my windshield down flat to go faster but Stinsen is gaining, as he is faster in a straight line, and we are going from one side of the river to the other in a STRAIGHT LINE. There are no buoy, so we straighten out the river, by going shore to shore.

I beat him to La Paz, but he's very close. We head for Blue Water 6 1/2 miles away, for our last time. I'm on the wrong side of the river, cutting the river corners to within a foot of the docks. As was come in sight of Blue Water, we are damn near neck and neck. We both see Bobby Witt, the leader, less than 100 yards a head of us. I decide, Stinsen isn't passing me, if I have to run him into the trees. He and I are running neck and neck.

I realize I can't block him, he's faster and he can go through the trees, Witts swings, wide,Stinsen and I both pass Witt, I decide to "DIVE" in the hole at the turn and I hook a sponson and it tosses me out of the seat on to the deck.. Bobby Witt sees me go "*** Over Tea Kettle" and figures I'm going in the water, so he makes hard right and it tosses him out of the boat. Stinsen sees both Witt and me dead in the water and he hauls *** in the corner with that wing and runs clear up to and almost on to the beach, but finally spins it.

I climb back in my seat and re fire my motors and head for the finish line leading, Stinsen gets the wing going and beats me by a foot. Witt who had lead the last 3-4 four hours finished third. Stinsen led only one foot all day, to win the 1970 Parker 9 Hour Enduro.

I never met Alan Stinsen before the race and never saw him again, but he drove that wing to the win, no accident. I drove 7 hours and 40 minutes, drove home for six hours that Sunday night, and taught school on Monday.

The boat in my avitar is the boat I was running.

Ron Hill
10-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Look closely to the 191 number of Jimbo and Ted's boat....I'll tell the rest of the story later.

Bill Van Steenwyk
10-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Ron:

Far be for me to tell you in which thread to place this story, BUT, if this was me, I think without a doubt it belongs in Wayne Baldwin's
AMAZING STORIES thread as it truly is an "amazing story". First because of the story, and secondly that you can remember it so vividly after all these years.

Willabee
10-09-2017, 09:47 AM
..... The 10,000 people that saw that AMAZING ending to a 9 Hour Race, if they are still alive, know they saw one of the greatest finishes in boat racing history. ..... .

I agree, it was the most chaotic end to a race that I have ever seen! The three of you really put on a show, all determined to win. Those of us that were fortunate enough to witness that finish will never forget it. :cool:

..... and yes, you do tell a good story :D

Ron Hill
10-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Here ya go, from Powerboat, April 1972 .....

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63054&stc=1

'BOATS TO FINISH AND LAPS RECORDED'

1. McConnell/May - 60 - #191 - OB
2. Wallace/Hill - 59 - #777 - OB
3. Woods/Hauenstein - 59 - #351 - OB
4. Holloway/Bourquin - 57 - #165 - OB
5. Rexwinkle Brothers - 57 - #411 - IB
6. Seebold/Petty - 56 - #190 - OB
7. Peacock/Gagen - 55 - #125 - OB
8. Larson/Traen - 53 - #229 - OB
9. Chiaravalle - 53 - #39 - OB
10. Brunette - 51 - #107 - OB
11. Rex/Baker/Mullette - 48 - #991 - IB
12. Ellison/Knight/Foster - 45 - #46 - OB
13. Johnson/Lane - 43 - #380 - OB
14. Folt/Cline/Perkins - 38 - #69 - IB
15. Aldrich/Hessman - 31 - #87 - OB
16. Irving - 29 - #85 - IB
17. McCarroll/Nicholson - 29 - #3 - IB
18. Cobb/O'Brian/Packer - 22 - #711 - IB
19. Trichler/McClure - 20 - #294 - Jet
20. Paine - 20 - #277 - Jet

OMC took the top three spots just like they did in 1970. However, this time they managed to avoid their "three stooges" type drama in the last turn. You guys should make Mr. Hill tell that story! :D

My wife's folks lived in Wisconsin (Janesville, one time home of Parker Pen) and they also had a place in Florida. So, when my wife heard we were racing in Florida, as part of the Miami Boat Boat Show, we decided to make it a Mini Vacation. We got down there, maybe Tuesday night. My wife worked for TWA, so the air fare was pretty cheap.

So, because I had been there all day Wednesday, I got to test my boat first on Thursday. I'll be real honest here, I never wanted or liked single engine racing. Twins and Triple excited the spectators, singles put them to sleep. So, I think Ann Strang knew this, and to keep my interest, she made sure I got a good ride, with my in-laws being there.

Few probably ever knew this, but I'm pretty sure, Ann Strang always assigned most of the boats to the drivers she liked.

Anyway, I was assigned the Black and White Scotti. The last time I had raced at Miami Marine Stadium, I had run the same Molinari Fred Hauenstein had raced to a second place at Parker 1971. So, I tired a few props, usually, I got one to try. By testing first, I sort of had the pick of what was "Set Out".

When I put the boat on the trailer and got out, I announced to everyone, that I WOULD WIN SUNDAY'S RACE. I said this boat is so fast, handles so well, I'm guaranteeing a win. Even though I was always a little "COCKY" I really don't ever recall saying, "I'm going to win this race." (This was the only time).

Well, the race got "BLOWN OUT" and it never happened. The Parker 9 Hour was about a month away. I show up for Parker and the BLACK and White Scotti has a new number, 191, on it...It has a number plate glued over my number 9.

Jimbo says, "Yea, you and Mike Wallace get the NEW Scotti, I have to run the OLD one." I go, "Bull ****, that Black and White Scotti is a rocket and you know it...." I made a big stink with Jack Leek, but still had to run the "NEW" Scotti. Lucky for Mike Wallace and me, my dad had bought a half dozen Mercury three blades and one of them which he had reworked, or maybe I had, went pretty well.

The rest is History, the #191 won with ease. I've only been mad a Jimbo once in 57 years, and winning Parker in "MY" Black and White Scotti is the only time I've been mad at him since 1960.

Now Jimbo has been made at me twice, once because I would NOT stop on the way home from Jack Leek's Memorial Service (He wanted to eat lemon mo-rang pie at 9:00 o'clock in the morning). I told him he was already too fat." The other time, and he'd forgotten this, I spent about $2.00 worth of his Indian Head nickels.

Look at the number plate on #191, glued over #9. Other BLURRED picture is First lap, Parker 9 Hour, 1970.

I had three seconds in a row, 1970, 1971 and 1972.

Willabee
10-09-2017, 12:59 PM
..... The rest is History, the #191 won with ease. I've only been mad a Jimbo once in 57 years, and winning Parker in "MY" Black and White Scotti is the only time I've been mad at him since 1960. .....

In all fairness to your friend Jimbo, I think it was his boat first. I took a picture of him being towed passed our pit area during the 1971 Paris race and I think he was in a black & white Scotti. The Parker winning boat does have an 'ON' painted on the cowl.

Ron Hill
10-09-2017, 01:17 PM
This was from an article in Outboard Magazine, spring 1971.

I was completing my first lap. I had to pull my goggle down to see the inner tube wrapped around my prop.

Ron Hill
10-09-2017, 01:41 PM
In all "FAIRNESS" to Jimbo hell! I was assigned the Black and White Scotti, Jimbo had a new boat. He may have had it first, but I had it next and it was MINE, MINE mine! And I can stay mad at him if I want....This Saturday evening, 10/14/2017 when I'm having a beer with Jimbo, I may give him a warm beer because I'm still mad!

In all fairness to your friend Jimbo, I think it was his boat first. I took a picture of him being towed passed our pit area during the 1971 Paris race and I think he was in a black & white Scotti. The Parker winning boat does have an 'ON' painted on the cowl.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63061&stc=1

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-10-2017, 07:57 AM

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63061&stc=1
Bill,
I believe Jimbo ran an OMC boat that year designed by Leek & built by McDonald. I also recall, hopefully correctly, that he stuffed it early in the race.

Steve Pinson
10-10-2017, 10:34 AM
In all "FAIRNESS" to Jimbo hell! I was assigned the Black and White Scotti, Jimbo had a new boat. He may have had it first, but I had it next and it was MINE, MINE mine! And I can stay mad at him if I want....This Saturday evening, 10/14/2017 when I'm having a beer with Jimbo, I may give him a warm beer because I'm still mad! Its many years since i spoke to Jimbo just tell him i wish him and his wife all the best and ask him if he remembers those blue ford estate cars they had at OMC Brugge and buy him a beer for me.

Willabee
10-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Bill,
I believe Jimbo ran an OMC boat that year designed by Leek & built by McDonald. I also recall, hopefully correctly, that he stuffed it early in the race.

Hi John, you are correct that he ran a McDonald in Paris and stuffed it early :), you just don't have the right year :(.

From Powerboat, January 1971 issue (that makes it the October, 1970 race) .....

He did run the black & white Scotti at Paris in 1971. Looks like he's gonna get a warm beer, but it's his boat. ;)

Ron Hill
10-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Hi John, you are correct that he ran a McDonald in Paris and stuffed it early :), you just don't have the right year :(.

From Powerboat, January 1971 issue (that makes it the October, 1970 race) .....

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63064&stc=1

He did run the black & white Scotti at Paris in 1971. Looks like he's gonna get a warm beer, but it's his boat. ;)

After 45 years I could probably not stay mad, but you know, what else would I have to bitch at him for? This is me on the left, Jimbo on the right. Race Queen in the middle. Winternationals either 1968 or '69. I guess I could remind him, I'm bigger, taller and handsomer than he is.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Got to be 1968 Ron. The race queen in 1969 was blonde, and was from Houston.

Willabee
10-11-2017, 06:56 AM
..... I guess I could remind him, I'm bigger, taller and handsomer than he is.

I'll give you the bigger, taller ...... :D

Ron Hill
10-11-2017, 05:17 PM
My brother wasn't very popular in APBA politics. But he was a Region Chairman, Council-man-at-Large and Senior Vice President. And loser when he ran for President.

The Golden Shores people had a bunch of cash, they bought the land for $500 an acre and were selling lots for $2,500. I think, six lots to the acre. Havasu was selling land and they were promoting the Outboard World Championships.

Somehow, the Golden Shores people "Hooked Up" with me through Jimmy Dawe. I told them lets put on the Winternationals.

So, when my brother present the Winternationals to APBA they all went nuts. March Boat racing calling it a Nationals?????

Well, my brother said, George National and Cylde Winter want to give us $25,000 for a race and my brother wants to call it the Winternationals. Well, for $25,000 in prize money APBA would let us do it once, but it wasn't a "REAL" Nationals...

This is my Ted May Hydro, VC Konig D, and the queen.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-11-2017, 05:59 PM
I was checking out the "Can" on your Konig Ron. Yep...1969.;)

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-12-2017, 05:28 AM
I was checking out the "Can" on your Konig Ron. Yep...1969.;)
yup, that's what was on my "C" & "D" when I set the records at Lakeland in Feb. 1969.

DeanFHobart
10-12-2017, 09:27 AM
That must have started the notion of Winter Nationals. I think about that same time frame the Stocks had a Winter Nationals at Firebird Lake in Arizona.

Willabee
10-12-2017, 12:49 PM
This was from an article in Outboard Magazine, spring 1971.

I was completing my first lap. I had to pull my goggle down to see the inner tube wrapped around my prop.

Going back to the picture you posted of you and Johnny Sanders at Parker 1970, do you happen to know if he is driving the Caesar Scotti 1969 Havasu winner? It doesn't look like the same paint scheme as a remember it, but I don't know why OMC wouldn't have someone running that boat at Parker after just winning Havasu.

From Powerboat, a nice shot of the 1970 (by a foot) winner .....

Ron Hill
10-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Going back to the picture you posted of you and Johnny Sanders at Parker 1970, do you happen to know if he is driving the Caesar Scotti 1969 Havasu winner? It doesn't look like the same paint scheme as a remember it, but I don't know why OMC wouldn't have someone running that boat at Parker after just winning Havasu.

From Powerboat, a nice shot of the 1970 (by a foot) winner .....

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63084&stc=1

Johnny was given Scotti's Havasu Winning Molinari and the winning set of props, that were 17's. He waS SLOW As hell as we had 19's and 21's from Phil Rolla. OMC said, "Scotti won Havasu with those props." 4 mile lap, rough as hell, Parker 13 mile lap, pretty smooth, really!

FYI: The is Gerry Walin driving the "WINNING" wing.

Ron Hill
10-12-2017, 07:51 PM
That must have started the notion of Winter Nationals. I think about that same time frame the Stocks had a Winter Nationals at Firebird Lake in Arizona.

Once "OUR" government saved people from being "Screwed" by "LAND SWINDLERS" (They passed a law, that if you sold desert land,smaller than 5 acres, you had to GUARANTEE water for 20 years. All the land "Swindlers', including Havasu, went out of business.

I think Frank and Wanda Zorkan got "Make a Wish" to help them and they put on, what very well have been the first APBA WINTER NATIONALS FOR POINTS, AND TWO WORDS. Clyde Winters would have been proud. And so would have George Nationals.

Willabee
10-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Johnny was given Scotti's Havasu Winning Molinari and the winning set of props, that were 17's..... He waS SLOW As hell as we had 19's and 21's from Phil Rolla. ..... OMC said, "Scotti won Havasu with those props." 4 mile lap, rough as hell, Parker 13 mile lap, pretty smooth, really!.....

Turns out that the Top 20 list I posted in post #7 is "Boats to finish & laps recorded". It isn't how the boats officially finished, it's a listing of how the boats that were running at the end finished ..... kind of a weird way to show race results! The Molinari driven by Sanders actually finished 4th, but apparently wasn't running at the end.

This listing of positions after the 5 hour mark may surprise you .....

Ron Hill
10-24-2017, 08:19 PM
It became painfully clear, that the inboard's day at the Parker 9 Hour were over. So, I wrote runs for five Divisions, and offered to buy trophies for the 1973 Parker 9 Hour. Parker, was reluctant to divide the race into classes, but with my "Smooth talking" they agreed with me.

So, 1973 had 5 Divisions: Division V was any V-Drive and any outboard with full shifting lower unit (Not gearcase yet). And also VP APBA and any MOD VP outboard boat (First time MOD VP's name was used). John Stoker had Rich Hallett, himself, put a deck on some heavy V Bottom outboard and they put an new Evinrude V-6 200 HP on it.

Well, the 200 Evinrude ran like a "SONG" ALL DAY!. Stoker pulled in right at the 9th hour to get gas and was on the trailer when the race ended. They put the boat back in the water and ran the last lap winning Division V (Outboarbord full shifting lower unit and any V-Drive class).

Well, the V-Drive guys protested Stoker saying, "The rule says you have to be running at the end of the race."

The race committee up held the protest. The next year MOD VP had their own class and the V-Drive class was Division VI. That was the beginning of MOD VP.

Ron Hill
10-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Johnny was given Scotti's Havasu Winning Molinari and the winning set of props, that were 17's. He waS SLOW As hell as we had 19's and 21's from Phil Rolla. OMC said, "Scotti won Havasu with those props." 4 mile lap, rough as hell, Parker 13 mile lap, pretty smooth, really!

FYI: The is Gerry Walin driving the "WINNING" wing.

I put those flat pads on the bottoms of those sponson, they were made out of red wood 2 X 12's. Same with the pads in front of the motor...I said, "This thing is never going to fly, needs some support."

I'm pretty sure Huge Entrop designed this boat, as the center wing was a reverse airplane wing, so when the bow went up, the transom went higher. I don't think this was a DeSilva design.

Ron Hill
10-24-2017, 08:30 PM
It became painfully clear, that the inboard's day at the Parker 9 Hour were over. So, I wrote runs for five Divisions, and offered to buy trophies for the 1973 Parker 9 Hour. Parker, was reluctant to divide the race into classes, but with my "Smooth talking" they agreed with me.

So, 1973 had 5 Divisions: Division V was any V-Drive and any outboard with full shifting lower unit (Not gearcase yet). And also VP APBA and any MOD VP outboard boat (First time MOD VP's name was used). John Stoker had Rich Hallett, himself, put a deck on some heavy V Bottom outboard and they put an new Evinrude V-6 200 HP on it.

Well, the 200 Evinrude ran like a "SONG" ALL DAY!. Stoker pulled in right at the 9th hour to get gas and was on the trailer when the race ended. They put the boat back in the water and ran the last lap winning Division V (Outboard full shifting lower unit and any V-Drive class).

Well, the V-Drive guys protested Stoker saying, "The rule says you have to be running at the end of the race."

The race committee up held the protest. The next year MOD VP had their own class and the V-Drive class was Division VI. That was the beginning of MOD VP.

My brother was APBA Region 12 Chairman, when Parker ran their first 9 Hour under APBA, as Region Chairman, myself, I didn't want to see the Enduro die. It wasn't "LOVER" of V-Drives that I wrote the rules for, I wanted the race to survive and I knew most inboards were heading to Ski Racing.